• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need to constantly hit in the later rounds to field a great team though? Steelers fans make that complaint all the time, but the amount of 4th/5th rounders that even play in the league 3 years is something like 30 percent.

Of course not but you can't miss at the level we have in the past 3-4 years. Lets forget the 4th and 5th round for a second. The 3rd round hasn't been great lately for us! Pick after pick completely wasted on guys that either end up injured or never develop into anything.

2008 to present:

Mario Manningham WR - Great pick! Gone in FA.
Ramses Barden WR - :jnc They moved UP to get him!
Travis Beckum TE - A stiff wind would cause the guy to miss a game. Out of the league last I checked.
Chad Jones S - Freak car accident ends his football career. Nearly loses his leg.
Jerrel Jernigan WR- Finally had his coming out party in the slot after Cruz went down at the end of last season. 2 years and a large bulk of 2013 = nothing. Still question marks about 2014.
Jayron Hosely CB - Spent more time on the bikes than he has on the field.
Demontre Moore DE - Rookie season derailed by a shoulder injury. When he played, a lot to be hopeful about.

One great pick out of the bunch. I mean you can't miss at that level in the 3rd round and expect to field a team with depth unless you look to FA.

4th rounders?

Bryan Kehl LB - Garbage. ST guy for a few years until we was cut.
Andre Brown RB - Tore his achilles, bounced around the league and ended up back with the Giants. Decent RB. Now an UFA and not likely to return.
Phillip Dillard LB - Out of the league
James Brewer OT - On the team. Had significant play time last season and was /awful/.
Adrien Robinson TE - Dude literally has not played a healthy game yet. A hamstring would cause him to miss 16 games.
Brandon Mosley OT - Also on the roster and played last season. Better than Brewer but not starter caliber.
Ryan Nassib QB - Luxury pick for a team that didn't have the luxury to make it in hindsight. We'll see if he develops into anything.

I won't bother with the 5th but it doesn't look much better filled with LB and OL which tells you how much the Giants value those positions. Reese needs to have a 2007 like draft this year. He truly needs to hit and hit a great deal with the holes on this team right now.

Probably didn't want to, not couldn't.

I still trust in Gettleman. If anything, look at last year. He did the same thing (picked up "bottom of the bargain bin" guys like Mike Mitchell and Ted Ginn Jr.) and they contributed.

If a down year or two is what it takes to get us out of Hurneyville, so be it.
You currently have no WRs. Is he going to draft 5 receivers this year? You'd think they'd be talking with Holmes or Edelman or Sanders or somebody. But nary a peep. Seems odd for the division winner to get blasted this bad.

Tom Penny

So Broncos and Pats are all in to try to win one more for their archaic QBs. Here's to hoping neither of them make the AFCCG. I hate teams that try to win a championship via spending big bucks in free agency.

Just more Yankees vs Red Sox bullshit.

Congrats on comparing a cap sport to a no cap sport. Your team either has a ton of cap space that they aren't spending which is a slap in the face to fans or no cap space because it's locked up in garbage players. My guess is it's the latter..

squicken

The best place for Nicks to go, besides Denver, was Indy. They will throw it around and give him the opportunity to get a good deal next year. Even if CAR was offering more money on the one year deal, long term, it's better to take a little less with Indy for this year.

Good for the Cotls b/c there's little risk. Shouldn't stop them from grabbing a mid round WR in a deep draft. Don't assume Nicks will try hard just b/c it is in his best interest. He didn't last year

You currently have no WRs. Is he going to draft 5 receivers this year? You'd think they'd be talking with Holmes or Edelman or Sanders or somebody. But nary a peep. Seems odd for the division winner to get blasted this bad.

He's signing someone. Just waiting for the market to stabilize, which it seems it has.

Decker was out of our price range. We definitely weren't going to pay Ginn what he's getting from the Cardinals. If Getts really wanted Nicks, he could've signed him, but apparently he has reservations.

But they will sign two of the remaining names. And then draft another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft.

cdyhybrid

He led the Chiefs to a division title.

How many QBs have done that?

They won in spite of him.

Pats fans really trying to convince people that Matt Cassell is a good QB, SMH.

Of which he played how many times?
And our offense of 2008 was not remotely close to what we had in 05 or 06.

You realize you get practice reps during the offseason right? Not to mention throwing with receivers on your own time, OTAs, etc.

Because they were available =(

missed an easy TD early on the motion to the rb out wide. the bucs guy literally drops his SS down into the box every time.... no matter the situation!

also forgot how crappy it is with QB accuracy while drifting back. still not perfect in the current madden but there is quite a hit on accuracy if you do what this guy does with romo

also defense is a bit rough.... massive holes on the lines on both sides. what difficulty are you playing on?

ShaneB

missed an easy TD early on the motion to the rb out wide. the bucs guy literally drops his SS down into the box every time.... no matter the situation!

also forgot how crappy it is with QB accuracy while drifting back. still not perfect in the current madden but there is quite a hit on accuracy if you do what this guy does with romo

also defense is a bit rough.... massive holes on the lines on both sides. what difficulty are you playing on?

All Madden - sliders all on default 50.

Patriots7

They won in spite of him.

Pats fans really trying to convince people that Matt Cassell is a good QB, SMH.

You realize you get practice reps during the offseason right? Not to mention throwing with receivers on your own time, OTAs, etc.
Based off the offseason, Sudfeld would have been a god, Thompkins would be the rookie offensive player of the year.
Doesn't matter until it's a game.

I'm not saying Cassel is great, I'm just saying a QB who has been in the same system for as long as the other two starting QB's was horrible. I fail to see how Foles is a system QB who put up those numbers when the rest of the QB's on the Eagles can't.

I don't even know why I'm defending Foles, I don't even like the Eagles.
Whatevs.

HawkeyeIC

Great, just great. We lost Tarrel Brown to the Raiders for a 1 year 3.5 million deal? Really? I know we didn't sign Cook to take his place. Are we rolling with Wright/Brock/Culliver and Cook as the #4? Still don't like that.

I hope we address CB in the first 3 rounds if we don't get Thurmond.

It seems like they are going CB in round 1.

cdyhybrid

Based off the offseason, Sudfeld would have been a god, Thompkins would be the rookie offensive player of the year.
Doesn't matter until it's a game.

I'm not saying Cassel is great, I'm just saying a QB who has been in the same system for as long as the other two starting QB's was horrible. I fail to see how Foles is a system QB who put up those numbers when the rest of the QB's on the Eagles can't.

That's because the other QBs on the Eagles were either broken down (Vick) or a rookie (Barkley). QBs need reps, and you don't get any if you're third string like Barkley was. Pretty much all of your WRs will get practice reps unless you're carrying 10 on your roster or something stupid like that, but your starting QB gets like 80% of the practice reps and the remaining 20% go to your backup during the season.

There was no chance Barkley was going to play well in any system.

Of course not but you can't miss at the level we have in the past 3-4 years. Lets forget the 4th and 5th round for a second. The 3rd round hasn't been great lately for us! Pick after pick completely wasted on guys that either end up injured or never develop into anything.

2008 to present:

Mario Manningham WR - Great pick! Gone in FA.
Ramses Barden WR - :jnc They moved UP to get him!
Travis Beckum TE - A stiff wind would cause the guy to miss a game. Out of the league last I checked.
Chad Jones S - Freak car accident ends his football career. Nearly loses his leg.
Jerrel Jernigan WR- Finally had his coming out party in the slot after Cruz went down at the end of last season. 2 years and a large bulk of 2013 = nothing. Still question marks about 2014.
Jayron Hosely CB - Spent more time on the bikes than he has on the field.
Demontre Moore DE - Rookie season derailed by a shoulder injury. When he played, a lot to be hopeful about.

One great pick out of the bunch. I mean you can't miss at that level in the 3rd round and expect to field a team with depth unless you look to FA.

4th rounders?

Bryan Kehl LB - Garbage. ST guy for a few years until we was cut.
Andre Brown RB - Tore his achilles, bounced around the league and ended up back with the Giants. Decent RB. Now an UFA and not likely to return.
Phillip Dillard LB - Out of the league
James Brewer OT - On the team. Had significant play time last season and was /awful/.
Adrien Robinson TE - Dude literally has not played a healthy game yet. A hamstring would cause him to miss 16 games.
Brandon Mosley OT - Also on the roster and played last season. Better than Brewer but not starter caliber.
Ryan Nassib QB - Luxury pick for a team that didn't have the luxury to make it in hindsight. We'll see if he develops into anything.

I won't bother with the 5th but it doesn't look much better filled with LB and OL which tells you how much the Giants value those positions. Reese needs to have a 2007 like draft this year. He truly needs to hit and hit a great deal with the holes on this team right now.

Right. I agree with you, but I guess what I mean to say is was your lack of depth the reason for your collapse? It made a bad thing worse sure, but did it make a good thing bad?

I think your marquee players' shelf life expired. Tuck. Osi. Snee. Nicks. Webster. Some guys are finished and other guys not good enough to justify their massive contracts. JPP having a down year shouldn't destroy the d line but it did, atleast from a distance.

Same happened with the Steelers, and the Pats, and is happening to the Ratbirds.. Harrison was good enough to take over a game but now he's long passed that point, yet his contract remained.

I think the long term contract is what kills Championship teams. You mentioned drafting replacements before the players get fat with success - it's a great strategy, but hardly any team truly employs it. They all have their 5 or 6 guy core that they keep around forever and don't seek replacements for until they're well used up. Seahawks better win another Championship nextyear because once those guys get long term deals it's over.

1655456_10203498791089558_1214241031_o.jpg

yowzer this game looks pretty insane

James Dator ‏@James_Dator 3m
CAR REALLY liked Eifert last year. If they're athletic and can play outside it's possible Amaro or Ebron (highly unlikely) are in play

Travis Hancock ‏@TBoneWFNZ 5m
FWIW, Eric Ebron just said on NFL Network he has talked to Giants and Panthers. Wouldn't mind playing for either. (From NJ and NC)

4 TE Offense? That's one way to compensate for nor WR

CAR REALLY liked Eifert last year. If they're athletic and can play outside it's possible Amaro or Ebron (highly unlikely) are in play

FWIW, Eric Ebron just said on NFL Network he has talked to Giants and Panthers. Wouldn't mind playing for either. (From NJ and NC)

chip kelly ran it a few times spreading the TE's out wide and then running the ball (te blocking vs. cb = te wins)

Ebron is gonna be long gone before you draft.

It's more the fact that they are even thinking about taking tight ends when they have much bigger needs elsewhere and Greg Olsen on the roster that's surprising.
Lots of teams liking throwing two TEs out there who can catch. Pats system ran that successfully until Gronk got all those STDs and Hernandez murdered a dude.

Striker

On top of getting bad picks in the mid rds and so forth, constantly changing of the guard at places like WR and TE while trying to learn Gilbride's system also didn't make things easy. Go back to 2007 or 2008 when they were trying to capitalize on another run. We've seen Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Jerrel Jernigan, and Reuben Randle as (early!) draft picks since 2006. For most of them, it felt like things were going smooth until FA hit (Mario) or injuries creep up (Smith, Nicks). Smith definitely was on the verge of staying until his severe knee injury. I'm certain Nicks would've re-upped in some fashion (not Wallace money though) hadn't he had bad leg problems in all but two games for the past two seasons.

And the TE position has been a constantly cycle since Shockey left. So there's been Kevin Boss (lasted three seasons), Jake Ballard, Martellus Bennett, and Brandon Myers since 2008.

A lot of fans lay blame on Reese for several things, notably the OL neglect, TE cycle, and ignoring the LB's for so long, but things like the WR's getting injured and JPP having a screwed up back aren't on him. They're key pieces and were vital in that 2011 run.

For as much love we get for drafting well we got shit from our 2013 class. Harvin barely played at all last year, Michael's was basically a victory cigar, Hill was injured most of the year, our 4th round pick got cut, and one of our 5th round picks was injured the entire year.

MechDX

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN · 18m
Per @TMZ, WR Mike Evans signed with BenJarvus Green-Ellis' dad and uncle's new agency -- Slim and Birdman's Cash Money Sports

Maybe its my generation gap showing but what?

Bowser

You'll probably win.

Top 10? Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, the 3 QBS, Evans, Donald. I see all those guys gong before Ebron. A receiving Tight End? What team needs him so bad they'll spend a 1?

Eifert was a complete Tight End and he went in the 20s..

Think the Bills at 8 are a legit possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom