• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're surprised? We draft, get our four years out of them, draft their replacement in year 3 and move on so we don't have to pay big money. Outside of the big ticket guys they identify like Cruz, etc. Just about the entire 2007/2008 draft class is gone. Will Beatty is the last man standing from '09. Andre Brown as well but he's an UFA.

Been like that for the last 10 years or so.

And this is why i don't own a single player jersey thanks FA players come and go, all my Giants gear rep the team, not the player..

You're surprised? We draft, get our four years out of them, draft their replacement in year 3 and move on so we don't have to pay big money. Outside of the big ticket guys they identify like Cruz, etc. Just about the entire 2007/2008 draft class is gone. Will Beatty is the last man standing from '09. Andre Brown as well but he's an UFA.

Been like that for the last 10 years or so.

I didn't expect them to be at the bottom of the list! That also doesn't explain how both lines have gone to shit on you.

With Ziggy Hood gone to the Jags, Steelers have no one left from the 2008/2009 drafts.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm just glad it's a reasonable 1yr deal. Let's see if he tried to earn a bigger payday next year. He better show up to practice!

He will because that's the beauty of a one year deal. He's already in a contract season and he believes he's worth more than 3.5 million so he's out to "prove it".

From what I can tell, these deals are great for teams to prey on average to better than average players who truly believe they have elite talent.

I'm just glad it's a reasonable 1yr deal. Let's see if he tried to earn a bigger payday next year. He better show up to practice!
I've been his biggest critic in FA but its a fine deal for a one year rental. Reports that he was going to get a multi-year deal were more laugh worthy.

I didn't expect them to be at the bottom of the list! That also doesn't explain how both lines have gone to shit on you.
Poor drafting in the mid to late rounds. Heavily effects depth and development. Completely ignoring the break down of the offensive line in general, really since 2009. Pugh and Beatty are the only two high draft picks we've spent on the line since 1999! We did a fine job in FA piecing together players in 2006/2007 but they got old.

Dline isn't in as bad a shape. Even with the loss of Linval, DT is pretty solid for us if we resign Patterson. DE needs depth and another playmaker. JPP also needs to be healthy and playing like he did in 2011. Both need addressed but this draft needs to be about offense. We can't field the garbage we did last season. If Eli is truly broken (and I don't believe that he is), then we need to know it and we need to make sure he has a line and playmakers around him.

MRSA

Banned
You know the Raiders actually have a semi-decent defense on paper now (Still no depth).

D-Line: Woodley, ?, Smith, Tuck

LB: Burnett, Roach, Moore

DB: Hayden, Brown, Branch, ?

They need a run stuffing DT (Pat Sims is testing the market) and a FS (Hopefully they bring back Chucky and Usama Young).

Crisco

Banned
Panthers bros, like I've said all along, Gettleman does not want Nicks. Never did, never will. We offered him some lowball that we knew he wouldn't accept just to keep up appearances, then shoved him out the door. He knows more about Nicks than any GM in the league and probably has good reason to not want him on his team.

effzee

Thats a great pick up for the Colts.

Panthers couldn't offer better? WOW.

And now Nicks gets to play with Luck and revive his career. Bet he puts up monster #s with Luck and Trent Truck as the triforce.

Other thoughts..was listening to NYC sports radio and its so frustrating to hear nitwits complaining that "if Vick is signed...after 40 some years...I'll quit rooting for the team". Fuck off morons. He served time, lost all his money, and has been a model citizen since his comeback. In fact he has been awarded for doing far more than was ever asked of him to do by animal rights groups. He did what he did and you can't erase it but in his rehab he has worked to stop dog fighting and to save animals overall.

And word out of the Eagles locker room is that Chip loves him and credits him with providing tons of veteran leadership and keeping the locker room together even during the rough stretch in the middle with Foles taking over.

Seems more and more likely that he won't land the starting job he wanted. Vikings resigned Cassell and probably draft a QB. Bucs signed McCown. Not many options left unless the Browns somehow decide to go in his direction. Talks with the Jets, the most likely landing spot have stalled because Vick wants to at least have the open competition to win the job where as the Jets want him to come in as a back up.

Cmon on back Vick. Not 100% sold on Foles and any injury or bad play could doom the season for us, especially with Barkley behind Foles. Would feel super confident with Vick backing Foles.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
He knows more about Nicks than any GM in the league and probably has good reason to not want him on his team.

Just curious as to why this is?

We could've picked him up if we wanted, but Mayhew decided to go with Golden Tate who is going to be a great #3 WR opposite of Megatron and Mike Evans/Sammy Watkins. But I wouldn't have minded Nicks, but why are there so many red flags with the guy?

Not 100% sold on Foles

Me neither.

Striker

Poor drafting in the mid to late rounds. Heavily effects depth and development. Completely ignoring the break down of the offensive line in general, really since 2009. Pugh and Beatty are the only two high draft picks we've spent on the line since 1999! We did a fine job in FA piecing together players in 2006/2007 but they got old.

Dline isn't in as bad a shape. Even with the loss of Linval, DT is pretty solid for us if we resign Patterson. DE needs depth and another playmaker. JPP also needs to be healthy and playing like he did in 2011. Both need addressed but this draft needs to be about offense. We can't field the garbage we did last season. If Eli is truly broken (and I don't believe that he is), then we need to know it and we need to make sure he has a line and playmakers around him.
Only guy I can think of is Snee who was 2nd rd in 2004. But yep, other than he, Beatty, and Pugh, there's been no other high draft pick for them for so long. Just spend money on FA's and hope they don't get injured and make the deal look bad. McKenzie, Baas, and O'Hara spring to mind, and for a while Baas was good, but injuries just killed any chances. Ignoring that line in drafting and coaching up these guys have really hurt them the most.

Agree with you on the DL. Although having a legit pass-rush DT they were supposedly drafting with Marvin Austin would be great. Health is really key for the line, because if JPP is even close to his normal self, the DE's won't be bad.

Syrinx

Just curious as to why this is?

We could've picked him up if we wanted, but Mayhew decided to go with Golden Tate who is going to be a great #3 WR opposite of Megatron and Mike Evans/Sammy Watkins. But I wouldn't have minded Nicks, but why are there so many red flags with the guy?

Well for one, he had a dreadful year last year.

9LW4khg.gif

Do you need to constantly hit in the later rounds to field a great team though? Steelers fans make that complaint all the time, but the amount of 4th/5th rounders that even play in the league 3 years is something like 30 percent.

Giants remind me of the Steelers in that they ignored their o-line for years. The Super Bowl winning line in 08 didn't have one guy drafted before the third round.

Drakeon

Great, just great. We lost Tarrel Brown to the Raiders for a 1 year 3.5 million deal? Really? I know we didn't sign Cook to take his place. Are we rolling with Wright/Brock/Culliver and Cook as the #4? Still don't like that.

I hope we address CB in the first 3 rounds if we don't get Thurmond.

So Broncos and Pats are all in to try to win one more for their archaic QBs. Here's to hoping neither of them make the AFCCG. I hate teams that try to win a championship via spending big bucks in free agency.

Just more Yankees vs Red Sox bullshit.

ShaneB

Hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

I’ve been sharing some of my Madden 08 uploads while I tested out settings and see what works best, and I’m still looking for improvements as the file sizes do tend to be large, but all in all I’ve been happy with the results I’m currently at.

This is week 11 of my Madden 08 PC League I’m playing in. I’m really not that good, so don’t expect flashes of greatness or big plays, but it’s a lot of fun to play, and it’s been fun testing out actually being able to record full games.

So without further ado, here we go. Week 11 – Buccaneers (the other guy) @ Falcons (Me). A very nerve racking game, and very close with a crazy ending. Hope some of you watch and enjoy it a little bit =) All feedback is welcome! FMT, feel free to give me some Madden tips. :p

Madden 08 PC - Buccaneers @ Falcons (me)

Just self quoting, realize that posting this first thing in the morning wasn't exactly the best idea :)

Thats a great pick up for the Colts.

Panthers couldn't offer better? WOW.

Probably didn't want to, not couldn't.

I still trust in Gettleman. If anything, look at last year. He did the same thing (picked up "bottom of the bargain bin" guys like Mike Mitchell and Ted Ginn Jr.) and they contributed.

If a down year or two is what it takes to get us out of Hurneyville, so be it.

Patriots7

I'd imagine Pats are cutting Wilson maybe converting Browner to safety? Dennard isn't a 1 but a solid 2 in the league.
That's what I'm thinking.
Although if Browner is our No. 2, could we put Ryan in the slot (I think he's a better slot corner than Dennard) and cut Arrington?
That's all I really want.

Cards fans getting antsy about not a peep leaking out concerning us signing Antonio Cromartie. He came yesterday and remained over night to resume talks today and then nothing, including if he's left AZ or not. The guy is going to want money and Keim doesn't budge much if at all so I expect him to get paid by one of the other handful of teams interested in him but the fact that it hasn't been announced that he's left AZ and the beat writers haven't heard a whisper makes me think it's not over yet, he must be interested.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'd imagine Pats are cutting Wilson maybe converting Browner to safety? Dennard isn't a 1 but a solid 2 in the league.

I really like dennard. He rarely gets burned he just gets outsized, but with revis you can just always have the safety to shadow on the opposite side. We also have ryan. Hopefully he plays the slot and gets arrington off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom