• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

You're too good for this. You should follow hockey, LJ.

Spikes is fucking useless.

I'm a huge Ranger fan and watch every game, love hockey.

Spikes is good at two things, stopping the run and being a gigantic asshole (on and off). I think he's a better pass rusher than some might think, he did a very good job as a blitzer while he was at Florida.

He's a tough player, these guys are so soft at times. I agree, he'll be useless for long stretches, but hopefully we can shore up this run D so teams don't gut us for 300 yards rushing. No point in showing up if you can't stop the run, just go home.

JABEE

I'm backing my dude, Foles!

No one better call him a system QB. He's making things happen and he's only getting better. I was extremely impressed with Foles's play on the field, but what really struck me about him was his response after losing to New Orleans. You could tell he was devastated that the Eagles season was over, but he spoke like a man ready to lead his team back to the playoffs. He was ready to get going again. He was ready to improve himself as a player and work even harder.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/m.../64aa75ae-8c9c-4923-932d-8d827fe02e5e#discuss

I'm confident that Foles will show that he is a quality player and leader. I'm looking forward to seeing this offense next season. I'm ready!

Sanjuro

Spikes is good at two things, stopping the run and being a gigantic asshole (on and off). I think he's a better pass rusher than some might think, he did a very good job as a blitzer while he was at Florida.

He's a tough player, these guys are so soft at times. I agree, he'll be useless for long stretches, but hopefully we can shore up this run D so teams don't gut us for 300 yards rushing. No point in showing up if you can't stop the run, just go home.

.....waaaaaaat?

I would have taken you for a sane Sabres fan.

He is great against the run, but I don't think the is that great against the pass. Not the worst player in the world. Just highly unremarkable. In the end, great value, solid pick up for this Bills team who isn't great, but can possibly go a game or two over .500

LJ11

.....waaaaaaat?

He is great against the run, but I don't think the is that great against the pass. Not the worst player in the world. Just highly unremarkable. In the end, great value, solid pick up for this Bills team who isn't great, but can possibly go a game or two over .500

I agree about his pass D, it's awful, and that's how teams will attack. They won't run when he's on the field, they'll just spread and isolate him one on one with a back or TE.

JABEE

I'm feeling better about the Eagles offseason after the Sproles trade. I just want to the Eagles to sign a pass rusher, another safety, and a kicker, and I will be content to head into the draft.

JABEE

.....waaaaaaat?

Man can only take so much pain. Though, being a Rangers fan isn't a walk in the park.

TheFatOne

His timing on blitzes sometimes is amazing. Thought the Pats should have blitzed him more.
I agree about his pass D, it's awful, and that's how teams will attack. They won't run when he's on the field, they'll just spread and isolate him one on one with a back or TE.

If he was faster he would have been a godly linebacker. He's good for an impact play or two though.

Bread

Banned
I'll miss Spikes, but god dammit we have Revis and Browner YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

the-best-dance-moves.gif

And? They don't have picks high enough to take someone who will contribute significantly. They needed more weapons, Gronk/Amendola will get hurt, hopefully they still bring someone in.

They will probably bring back Edelman and they still have Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce who should improve. I dont know who is out there that would be worth them bringing in.

TheFatOne

And? They don't have picks high enough to take someone who will contribute significantly. They needed more weapons, Gronk/Amendola will get hurt, hopefully they still bring someone in.

Offensively nothing matters if Gronk isn't healthy. They desperately need him to be healthy especially in the playoffs. The upgrade to the defense is huge. It's great not having to worry about the secondary this season.

MechDX

BivMuEVCUAEcE2O.jpg:large

Owen Daniels, all class. really hard to see some of these guys go. They brought the first real success to the franchise after a decade of darkness.

Oh well....

squicken

Brian Costello @BrianCoz
Mark Sanchez 1 of the Raiders' QB targets if he gets cut, according to @PGutierrezESPN. Jets face Raiders at MetLife this year. Would be fun

Also read something about the Raiders wanting Schoob, and a possible McGloin for Schoob trade going down. BoB gets one of his guys to stop gap QB while he grooms whoever they draft

squicken

Rams beat writer was doing a radio hit this evening. Was saying Fisher's first offseason, they let go of 27 guys who have never played in the NFL again. So progress at least

Duxxy3

seems like Edelman is coming back.

Yup, they're working on a deal again. The market for Edelman just isn't what he expected.

I would prefer we go TE in the draft instead of another receiver. I think we already have enough WR's who are still trying to learn the system.

Gonna need another running back too. I gt the suspicion that Blount is not coming back. I don't trust vereen to not get injured, and I don't trust Ridley to not cough up the ball.

Heroman

Banned
Whatz up NflGaf. My account was just activated a few days ago. My team is the Atalanta Falcon and I hope this will become my home on Neogaf.
RIISSSSSEEE UPPP

squicken

Dang it looks like that Malaysian airplane was indeed hijacked, maybe by the pilot. Hadn't been keeping up with it but possible he depressurized the plane to kill the passengers. That would suck

Whatz up NflGaf. My account was just activated a few days ago. My team is the Atalanta Falcon and I hope this will become my home on Neogaf.
RIISSSSSEEE UPPP

Welcome! Not a Patriots fan so already on the right path

Will Burge ‏ @ WillBurge 1m
Source close to situation just told me # Browns deal w Ben Tate is very close to being done. Said its "not official" yet but close

Will Burge ‏ @ WillBurge 47s
Tate is out and about in DT Clev tonight taking in the city and ppl. You could very well see him # Browns

MechDX

Will Burge ‏ @ WillBurge 1m
Source close to situation just told me # Browns deal w Ben Tate is very close to being done. Said its "not official" yet but close

Will Burge ‏ @ WillBurge 47s
Tate is out and about in DT Clev tonight taking in the city and ppl. You could very well see him # Browns

Hope he don't pull a hanmy on his stroll in gorgeous downtown Cleveland

squicken

Sanchez may be a Jet in 2014

When one looks at the list of potential QB’s available in the NFL it’s pretty bleak. The biggest name out there is Michael Vick, who last played 16 games in 2006. Other names include Josh Freeman, who needs to be coached up which will most likely never happen in NY, and Matt Flynn. The field is so bad that the Jaguars paid Chad Henne $5 million to come back rather than risk losing him and having to take one of those other names. If the Jets don’t necessarily believe in Geno Smith who on that list is better than Mark Sanchez? Really nobody.

Sanchez is a former 5th overall pick in the draft and to him the most important thing is having an opportunity to jumpstart what has been a stagnant career since the Jets imploded in 2011. That opportunity is likely more important than a million here or there in 2014. By holding on to Sanchez the Jets have limited his landing spots. The Jaguars signed Henne. The Buccaneers signed Josh McCown. The Vikings re-signed Matt Cassel. The Titans brought in Charlie Whitehurst.

The only destinations remaining where Sanchez might get an opportunity to start are Oakland and Cleveland. If the Jets can wait this out a few more days the Raiders may have to make a move, whether it’s Freeman or trying to trade for Matt Schaub, whose future might be linked to the Texans draft options, in Houston. Once Oakland goes off the board the Jets will be in a position to offer perhaps the best only possibility for Sanchez to resurrect a career.

The Jets have wisely avoided naming Smith their starter in 2014. They are doing their best to present this as a situation where any QB has an open opportunity for a job. The Jets have a reasonably good defense and they just added a capable wide receiver in Eric Decker. It is a much more stable situation than the one in Cleveland where their best receiver is a bad night away from a suspension and the team could fire any coach or front office executive because they just feel like doing so.

Not sure about that last part, but it does make sense that they can force him to take a pay cut while hanging on to him b/c of contract structure

Hope he don't pull a hanmy on his stroll in gorgeous downtown Cleveland
Eh, I'm not as excited about the signing as the rest of Browns gaf. Injuries are a big concern for me. I woulda been content with a Michael bush and rookie. But he's got lots of talent and hope he can stay Healthy, and bring excitement to the run game. Still excited for a rookie Rb would could bring in too.
Edit: if he can be our Foster id be ecstatic, he's Already got the twitter game on lock

Not sure what's behind Foster, but looks like you guys are in the market for a Rb relatively high too?

supposedly thurmond (seahawks) met with the niners today and then cancelled his meeting with the redskins. not sure if that means anything but if we sign him maybe he can bring some of dem premium PEDs over to improve our secondary as it improved the seachickens secondary!

MechDX

Eh, I'm not as excited about the signing as the rest of Browns gaf. Injuries are a big concern for me. I woulda been content with a Michael bush and rookie. But he's got lots of talent and hope he can stay Healthy, and bring excitement to the run game. Still excited for a rookie Rb would could bring in too.

Not sure what's behind Foster, but looks like you guys are in the market for a Rb relatively high too?

We have Dennis Johnson. Yipee!!

I liked Tate but he seemed to be hurt a lot. He did play through those broken ribs but it was his contract year.

Foster is supposedly healthy and ready after surgery but I'm not sold. Also guess we will find out if Foster was a product of the ZBS. BOB will run a power game mixed with some ZBS

Pretty sure Brandon Spikes has agreed to terms with the Bills, beat writers are all over it for the most part.

I fucking hate Spikes, also fucking love him. Can't cover for shit, but he's nails and can stuff the run.

Dixon also signed, he's a guy I liked coming out of college, hasn't done much. No clue what his role will be. Need to draft a back this year at some point.

Losing Byrd sucked, signing Chris Williams is even worse, and not a Rivers fan but Graham/Spikes are good additions.

100% guaranteed your special teams will be improved with him on it. not sure if you had a bad special teams before but he is really good at it. also a really good short yardage back and can fill in at FB in a pinch but not much more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom