• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I was more like asking so I don't get sick.

I'm going out to breakfast beforehand and drinking lots of water so I don't crash, that's all I got on the board.

Oh I was only joking.

As far as not getting sick. Control your drinking and eat, I guess.

I dunno, I'm not a huge drinker.

Colasante

? What am I missing. He had ok numbers this year as the 2nd option on a run first offense. He's a big target who can win 1 on 1s.

He's sucked the entire time he's been in the league. He's a good blocker, but he drops a ton of balls. I don't care about size if a receiver can't catch the ball when it's thrown to him.

MechDX

Honestly though, I'm surprised LaFell got nearly $4m per in this market. I didn't think he'd make more than $2m per.

There is still a shitload of cap space out there. Saw a stat on twitter yesterday. Some average/garbage players are going to get overpaid.

Bi0HeZlCUAAthLt.jpg:large

Panthers WRs corps and career stats

Toney Clemons, I know him.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He's sucked the entire time he's been in the league. He's a good blocker, but he drops a ton of balls. I don't care about size if a receiver can't catch the ball when it's thrown to him.

Looking at more advanced numbers, he's significantly better than Aaron Dobson (without the injury risk, and potential that he doesn't progress), and right about a mid tier level receiver, who again has played in an inconsistent mostly run first offense.

MechDX

While the Panthers seem to be imploding, Texans and other teams haven't done much of anything it is still the smart way to go. Adding one or maybe two players to augment your team is the proper thing to do.

Adding a lot is a sign of desperation, good or bad. Historically it doesn't usually help and can really fuck up a teams cap for a few years.

Sit back, have faith, relax and hope your front office knows what they are doing. If there isn't a lot of FA movement on your team its not a sign of the apocalypse.

Bowser

I hope we sign James Jones to a reasonable deal and throw a 1 year prove-it deal at Kenny Britt...might as well.

As insane as it is that we have lost our top 4 receivers, the only move that rankles me is cutting Smith. I would not have been pleased with paying LaFell $11m or Ginn $10m (would actually prefer Ginn at his price and apparently cap friendly deal) with the type of cap hell we are in anyway.

We're just going to have to take our lumps for a couple of years and hope Getts hits on the drafts in the interim.

Duxxy3

That's a stupid amount of money. I hate this signing.

Depends on the guaranteed money. I don't have a problem with bringing people in to see how they work out. I have a problem with guaranteeing big money on players that may not even make the team.

Would not surprise me to see them sign Britt as well. Have the two players fight it out for a single spot.

Colasante

Looking at more advanced numbers, he's significantly better than Aaron Dobson (without the injury risk, and potential that he doesn't progress), and right about a mid tier level receiver, who again has played in an inconsistent mostly run first offense.

What metric does he best Dobson in? Dobson is faster, taller, and has better hands. LaFell had 627 yards in 16 games to Dobson's 519 in 12 games, a stat more impressive in Dobson's case because he was a rookie wide receiver in the complex Patriots offense. I obviously want LaFell to pan out, but I don't see it happening. I've never been impressed by him as a player.

slabrock

Banned
So does Carolina go WR in the first three rounds of the draft or something? Or does cam do the Mr Perfect throwing the ball to himself thing?

Patriots7

Don't you guys already have enough WRs that are injured all the time?
:(
It's a curse

I think they could still sign guys like Austin/Holmes for next to nothing just to give them a shot. I'm hoping they get one of the three in Britt/Holmes/Austin.
I would love Britt or Austin, but both are continuously plagued by injuries.
Ugh.
I'm just surprised they'd give an actual contract to a guy who was straight up average on the Panthers ahead of any of those 3.

Bowser

So does Carolina go WR in the first three rounds of the draft or something? Or does cam do the Mr Perfect throwing the ball to himself thing?

Funny enough, I thought the Panthers were gonna double up on offensive line with their first two picks, but that was before we lost our top 4 WRs. I think we kind of have to go with a first round WR at this point.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What metric does he best Dobson in? Dobson is faster, taller, and has better hands. LaFell had 627 yards in 16 games to Dobson's 519 in 12 games, a stat more impressive in Dobson's case because he was a rookie wide receiver in the complex Patriots offense. I obviously want LaFell to pan out, but I don't see it happening. I've never been impressed by him as a player.

catch rate and a track record to go on. Not to mention dobson put those numbers up in a pass heavy offense.

TheFatOne

Patriots don't have the option of getting that number 1 or 2 outside receiver this off season. None of these signings even matter if Gronk isn't healthy. At this point Gronk is the Pats offense. LeFell will be ok if he can get the Pats offense, and with a healthy Gronk that's all the Pats really need if the defense plays like we think it can.

Duxxy3

:(
I would love Britt or Austin, but both are continuously plagued by injuries.
Ugh.
I'm just surprised they'd give an actual contract to a guy who was straight up average on the Panthers ahead of any of those 3.

I think Bill was just looking for somebody who could actually get on the field. It's the reason I think we need real backups for Gronk and Vereen before the season starts.

Edelman had such a good year because he was the one guy that didn't go down.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think Bill was just looking for somebody who could actually get on the field. It's the reason I think we need real backups for Gronk and Vereen before the season starts.

Edelman had such a good year because he was the one guy that didn't go down.

they just need some nfl talent not Austin collie.

TheFatOne

I like Dobson and think he will be pretty good. He started to come on at the end of the season and was playing with a fractured foot.

I think he can become a really good number two receiver. Just has to put it all together, and be healthy. Thompkins though I expect nothing from. Down on him after the way he ended the season. Didn't think he progressed by the end of the season, and he was a non factor.
they just need some nfl talent not Austin collie.

Exactly. I think some guys are underestimating what an elite to very good defense can do for a team. They will give the offense a chance in every game they play. I would prefer an elite defense with a good offense then the other way around.

I think he can become a really good number two receiver. Just has to put it all together, and be healthy. Thompkins though I expect nothing from. Down on him after the way he ended the season. Didn't think he progressed by the end of the season, and he was a non factor.

I like that there will be competition for the wr's this year so it means will get the best players.

I just hope they dont use Blount as a returner anymore.

TheFatOne

I like that there will be competition for the wr's this year so it means will get the best players.

I just hope they dont use Blount as a returner anymore.

Any news on Blount? Seems like I have heard nothing about him this off season which isn't to surprising.
3/17 Browner and 3 /11 Lafell makes no sense. That's overpaying Need to see the breakdowns.

I'm going to assume that Browner is mostly incentive based, and Lafell has little guaranteed money.

Bowser

Melton is a beast. Don't think Chicago would let him get away if he hadn't torn his ACL. If he recovers fully, he'll be a great addition to whatever team signs him.

I hope this doesnt keep the Pats from getting an elite talent WR if they could.

Patriots have been known to trade for quality WRs for quite some time, and I could see that trend happening again closer to the draft.

Although, weren't they in the conversation as being interesting in Gordon way back last year before he went off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom