• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think he can become a really good number two receiver. Just has to put it all together, and be healthy. Thompkins though I expect nothing from. Down on him after the way he ended the season. Didn't think he progressed by the end of the season, and he was a non factor.

Exactly. I think some guys are underestimating what an elite to very good defense can do for a team. They will give the offense a chance in every game they play. I would prefer an elite defense with a good offense then the other way around.

It's not about having an elite defense, it's just about building what they had a few years back. Hell Gronk/Hernandez rookie season, Welker was coming off the ACL, and we threw Deion Branch out there and made it work. Hernandez and Gronk were beyond Inconsistent, Welker was good, but not 100%, and Deion was average at best. If you have somebody like Gronk to help open up the field, it will make the offense a lot easier. Also Danny will be fine when he's healthy... for like a game or 2.

I hope this doesnt keep the Pats from getting an elite talent WR if they could.

There wasn't 1 elite receiver who was a free agent this year. The only potential "elites" were Kenny Britt, whose loaded with red flags, and Hakeem Nicks, who IMO is even worse off. Miles Austin and Santonio Holmes are the most sure thing in terms of talent for cheap, but injuries and attitude are questionable.

squicken

Patriots have been known to trade for quality WRs for quite some time, and I could see that trend happening again closer to the draft.

Although, weren't they in the conversation as being interesting in Gordon way back last year before he went off?

Think they just want bigger WRs. If the league is going to go back to the 70s with illegal contact rules, a lot more of the game is going to be won on contested catches

Bowser

Da league better get ready for...

YRsk4Kr.png

TheFatOne

It's not about having an elite defense, it's just about building what they had a few years back. Hell Gronk/Hernandez rookie season, Welker was coming off the ACL, and we threw Deion Branch out there and made it work. Hernandez and Gronk were beyond Inconsistent, Welker was good, but not 100%, and Deion was average at best. If you have somebody like Gronk to help open up the field, it will make the offense a lot easier. Also Danny will be fine when he's healthy... for like a game or 2.

That's because Brady was playing at an unreal level that second half of that season, and in the end it got the Pats absolutely no where. They were thoroughly embarrassed and out coached by their rival team within the division. I'm honestly tired of seeing their elite offenses get shut down every fucking post season. Just give Brady some solid reliable targets, and hope that Gronk is healthy.
Pass rusher and a TE that can do more than block..which is all we have right now.

They have to get another pass rusher. I don't care if it's a DT, or DE. At the end of games last season Jones and Ninkovich were to gassed to get any real pressure. If they could get another elite talent opposite of Jones, and a solid rotational guy they would be set.
I'll take Shaun Phillips and Owen Daniels. In a perfect world it would be Jermichael Finley and Jared Allen.

Dream scenario right there. Although I'm not a big fan of Finley. Allen would be great for this defense.

Tom Penny

They have to get another pass rusher. I don't care if it's a DT, or DE. At the end of games last season Jones and Ninkovich were to gassed to get any real pressure. If they could get another elite talent opposite of Jones, and a solid rotational guy they would be set.

They played 95% of the snaps and never have anything left in the tank.

squicken

Will any division winner be less favored to repeat this year than Carolina?

I think there's some weird quirk that no team has ever won the NFCS in back to back years. It's always a competitive division. This year will kind of be boring. Eagles, Pats, Colts, Broncos and Packers will coast to the division wins

Narag

Emmanuel Sanders is expected to sign with the Broncos tomorrow, but the process that led him there left the other teams involved fuming and crying foul. One team official claimed Sanders' agent broke "every rule in negotiations."

Agent Steve Weinberg, on behalf of the receiver, accepted a deal with the Chiefs in principle, according to one team source. Weinberg then engaged in negotiations with the Tampa Bay Bucs, according to another source involved in the process.

While shopping the Chiefs offer to the Bucs, Weinberg never explained that he had already accepted the terms of Kansas City's offer. Later in the night, Sanders' agent had agreed to terms with the Broncos, which is where he is currently headed. Sanders and Weinberg also rankled the 49ers by agreeing to visit, then blowing it off.

"This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations," one executive involved said. "Totally wrong. This needs to be stopped."

Reached at his home late Saturday, Weinberg declined to comment on the record when informed of the allegations.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...utives-crying-foul-over-emmanuel-sanders-deal

MechDX

I think there's some weird quirk that no team has ever won the NFCS in back to back years. It's always a competitive division. This year will kind of be boring. Eagles, Pats, Colts, Broncos and Packers will coast to the division wins

Two of those won't win their division or make the playoffs.

Syrinx

02-Bucs
03-Panthers\
04-Falcons
05-Bucs
06-Saints
07-Bucs
08-Panthers
09-Saints
10-Falcons
11-Saints
12-Falcons
13-Panthers

Think that's how it's gone. Add in the fact that the Panthers have gotten worse while every other team in the division got better, and their odds don't look that great.

Tom Penny

It is a bit pricey, but he's a solid piece. People must've been spoiled by the Revis signing, because it's a damn solid grab.

Dude is average at best and had a negative rating for the season. His best game was against the Pats. Only thing solid about him is blocking and he a WR...

FV, How excited should I be for infamous? Did you get it early? Is the game as fun to play as the first infamous?

Very.

I did.

Moreso.

52% of the way through. Break time.

Giants signed Quentin Demps today. Mostly as a returner and for safety depth.

DRC visiting today as well. He's going to command big money and I personally don't want him.

How much cap space the raiders at now?

Last I checked hovering around 50.

I hope we nab Fitzpatrick when he gets released, get an Alex Mack deal the browns can't match (just frontload a signing bonus), and then just build up on depth. Maybe bring back Woodson, maybe not. I really liked Usama Young last year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Last I checked hovering around 50.

I hope we nab Fitzpatrick when he gets released, get an Alex Mack deal the browns can't match (just frontload a signing bonus), and then just build up on depth. Maybe bring back Woodson, maybe not. I really liked Usama Young last year.

Fitzpatrick? I would absolutely take Schaub.

they moved the price down to $30. and it is stand alone content that will not be in PP. also your progress carries over to PP. i'll probably just rent it through gamefly myself

p.s.

i will be waiting for you in madden brother!

I know it will be stand alone content but you really dont' think they'll package the two together as a combo? I don't see how they won't if it's is the direct lead-in, too many people will miss out on it.

When do Madden games normally come out again? Or rather, when can we expect the next one?

squicken

He turned down $54m contract i wouldn't want an idiot like that on my team..

That was a little bit mis-reported, just like Talib's deal. Denver basically offers a series of one year deals, each one that is very generous the first year, team friendly the second year, and then is pretty much funny money years 3 and beyond. Those years become "guaranteed" like on the 3rd day of the league year, but are so high that there is no way Denver wouldn't cut the player

So the deal DRC was offered didn't have as much really guaranteed as Shields and Grimes. These pay as you go contracts are becoming the norm. Signing bonuses are going away so teams can cut and trade players with no cap hit

It is a bit pricey, but he's a solid piece. People must've been spoiled by the Revis signing, because it's a damn solid grab.
Not me. That revis signing made this the best off season for the pats in a long time (especially coming off of that horrendous one last year). Re-signing Edelman was the only other thing I wanted and they did it. Everything else from my point of view is extra. Draft a few guys to plug up some holes and I'm a very happy pats fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom