• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Kitna was not willing to play a full season.

71534654.jpg

Colasante

Unless you are puffing your chest out about division titles both teams seasons ended the same way. The fins might never win anything with Tanny, but at least he is young so there is some hope, the Pats window with Brady is closing very fast.

Do you really believe that every team who fails to win the Super Bowl is as much a loser as the rest? I've never understood that sort of mentality. By that logic, the Eagles 2013 season was as much of a failure as the Eagles 4-12 2012 season or 8-8 2011 season? The 2008 Cardinals, who lost a close Super Bowl to the Steelers, were as much a loser as the 0-16 Lions? Come on.

Nameless

Do you really believe that every team who fails to win the Super Bowl is as much a loser as the rest? I've never understood that sort of mentality. By that logic, the Eagles 2013 season was as much of a failure as the Eagles 4-12 2012 season or 8-8 2011 season? The 2008 Cardinals, who lost a close Super Bowl to the Steelers, were as much a loser as the 0-16 Lions? Come on.

As a Niners fan, while it's better than sucking, I claim no moral victories for finishing in 2nd-4th place. Shit sucks.

The Eagles showed signs that maybe they might possibly be headed in the right direction, but in the end the season ended with a terrible loss. If your team doesnt win it all then the only thing to hang on is "at least they are improving" and you really dont need to make the playoffs for that to be true. Did you really get any enjoyment out of stomping a totally unprepared Colts team, and then getting completely dominated by the Broncos? If anything missing the playoffs and getting a better draft pick is the way to go if you cant win it all.

eznark

Banned

Yup. There are only two states. Winner or loser. In sports there is only one winner.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So the Texans might possibly replace this...

SuhDirty_original.gif

A guy lacking any balls to...

butt fumble

sanchez-butt-fumble.gif

Fuck being a Texans fan.

Tom Penny

Unless you are puffing your chest out about division titles both teams seasons ended the same way. The fins might never win anything with Tanny, but at least he is young so there is some hope, the Pats window with Brady is closing very fast.

In your world a 31 teams should have gone 0-16 instead since they didn't win the SB. I mean all their seasons ended the same way.

Dragon

Banned
I'm pretty sure they're not even in the top 2/3rds of the worst fanbases in the league.

Meanwhile you google "Boston sports fans" and loads of people agree that Patriot fans are among the worst. Philly and Niner/Oakland fans are the only other ones that can compete.

Google "Dolphins fans" and you just get "Did you mean Patriot fans?"

Who cares? Just because I like the same team as a bunch of assholes that live in Boston doesn't really mean anything. It's a really dumb argument. As opposed to Iggles fans who are all a bunch of assholes, sans JABEE, who is only an asshole when he gets me banned.

So you're saying losing the AFC championship is just as bad as not making the playoffs?

Things aren't as absolute as people claim, especially when you consider the state of the team. Basically the Iggles haven't won since before there was a SB if we go based on yankeehater's logic (as irrefutable as it appears to be).

Who cares? Just because I like the same team as a bunch of assholes that live in Boston doesn't really mean anything. It's a really dumb argument. As opposed to Iggles fans who are all a bunch of assholes, sans JABEE, who is only an asshole when he gets me banned.

How is it a dumb argument when you are easily the biggest asshole here. Out of any fan of any team, you are the worst.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

In some ways, I agree with the concept that any season you don't win a Super Bowl is basically a failure.

In an ideal world, I'd like to have the #1 pick in any season where the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl. The only problem with that is that if you're the worst team in the league, you probably have a number of operating and coaching difficulties that can be just as hard to truly cure as a lack of talent. So it's not reasonable to go from the #1 pick to a Super Bowl win and back again.

So with that in mind, I give some credit to the notion that every NFL team is persistently in a state of either peaking or regressing and it's about "getting over the top". In that scenario, a season is only a success if you're on the left side of that bell curve and moving on up. If you never actually win the Super Bowl however, retroactively all those "great seasons" in some ways just become missed opportunities and a failure. The Andy Reid era in Philly is just one huge missed opportunity which is basically a failure.

The 2011 15-1 Packers were a massive failure. Most every season for the Patriots is a failure because they consistently win 11-14 games a season without anything to show for it. It all depends on where a team is headed really.

Colasante

The Eagles showed signs that maybe they might possibly be headed in the right direction, but in the end the season ended with a terrible loss. If your team doesnt win it all then the only thing to hang on is "at least they are improving" and you really dont need to make the playoffs for that to be true. Did you really get any enjoyment out of stomping a totally unprepared Colts team, and then getting completely dominated by the Broncos? If anything missing the playoffs and getting a better draft pick is the way to go if you cant win it all.

It's never fun to not win the Super Bowl, but everything is relative. To have such a binary mentality seems foolish to me. How far does it extend? Is Jim Harbaugh as good a coach as Mike Singletary because neither have won a Super Bowl? Is Philip Rivers as good a quarterback as Ryan Leaf because neither have won a Super Bowl? Of course not. If we judge every aspect of a team with the mindset that a Super Bowl victory is part of the equation of judging their value and not the totality of it, why would we not do the same with the teams themselves? But I digress, you certainly aren't alone in thinking that way and I'm sorry that in your mind your team has been a total failure and everything they have done in the past eighty years is worthless.

Ahem, baconsammy

I hate lunchbox more then anyone and I think dragon is worse then him now. I would gladly trade for baconsammy if I could.

It's never fun to not win the Super Bowl, but everything is relative. To have such a binary mentality seems foolish to me. How far does it extend? Is Jim Harbaugh as good a coach as Mike Singletary because neither have won a Super Bowl? Is Philip Rivers as good a quarterback as Ryan Leaf because neither have won a Super Bowl? Of course not. If we judge every aspect of a team with the mindset that a Super Bowl victory is part of the equation of judging their value and not the totality of it, why would we not do the same with the teams themselves? But I digress, you certainly aren't alone in thinking that way and I'm sorry that in your mind your team has been a total failure and everything they have done in the past eighty years is worthless.

They won a championship in 1960, that is far less then 80 years ago. There were fun moments since I have been a fan but every season has ended with disappointment. Unless they actually win a SB then what good is getting close?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
EVERY Qb that is a free agent or rumored to be cut has been "linked" to the Texans.

Opj69yP.png

It's still the Texans and when have we done anything smart with QB's? and we still have Rick Smith's dumb ass as GM.

Dragon

Banned
How is it a dumb argument when you are easily the biggest asshole here. Out of any fan of any team, you are the worst.

I think you were better off ignoring me bro. You aren't cut out for these insults. You come across as if you're a mosquito trying to sting an elephant.

I hate lunchbox more then anyone and I think dragon is worse then him now. I would gladly trade for baconsammy if I could.

You should probably calm down. You hardly know me and you're having cardiac arrest.

The goal of an NFL team is to win the Super Bowl. At the end of the season there's one team that does and 31 that do not. There's nothing wrong with being binary about that distinction.

You can add nuance to comparing coaches, quarterbacks and all of the relative statistics that play into that. However when fans say "We had a successful season" and their team isn't holding up a Lombardi - that season hasn't been much of a success. 16-0 is meaningless if you don't win the Super Bowl. You know this.;)

I think we as fans thrive off of the nuances of a season while it is ongoing, so in that way it's obviously different to experience 0-16 or 18-1. That said, when all is said and done there are ultimately two outcomes (ultimately is the key word); winning and losing. One team accomplishes the goal, every other team fails to accomplish that goal.

Just think of it this way; would you rather your team go 18-1 five straight seasons (losing in the SB each time) or win the SB once and then have four years of irrelevance? For me the answer is obvious. You can argue all day about how much better one loser is than the other but ultimately it is irrelevant.

Just think of it this way; would you rather your team go 18-1 five straight seasons (losing in the SB each time) or win the SB once and then have four years of irrelevance? For me the answer is obvious. You can argue all day about how much better one loser is than the other but ultimately it is irrelevant.
Bingo.

I think you were better off ignoring me bro. You aren't cut out for these insults. You come across as if you're a mosquito trying to sting an elephant.

You should probably calm down. You hardly know me and you're having cardiac arrest.

I am not good enough at insulting people online, drat. I am perfectly calm though, no idea what gave you the impression that i am not. I just hate that you come here and act like such a fucking prick all the time and then try and put down other people. you say I dont know you but I feel that I know you very well. If your real life persona is anything like the way you act online that is.

Matrix

Rick Smith now has dat swaaaaag. Because if he doesn't ol BOB is gonna put his Irish size 13 up dat ass.

Today would be a fitting day to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom