• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eli+Manning+Super+Bowl+XLVI+EDE8RNaIqTnl.jpg

I think we as fans thrive off of the nuances of a season while it is ongoing, so in that way it's obviously different to experience 0-16 or 18-1. That said, when all is said and done there are ultimately two outcomes (ultimately is the key word); winning and losing. One team accomplishes the goal, every other team fails to accomplish that goal.

Just think of it this way; would you rather your team go 18-1 five straight seasons (losing in the SB each time) or win the SB once and then have four years of irrelevance? For me the answer is obvious. You can argue all day about how much better one loser is than the other but ultimately it is irrelevant.

I think that's an obvious choice. It would basically be a choice between the Bills "dynasty" and the 2002 Bucs. Would rather be the 2013 Broncos than the 2013 Dolphins though.

Dragon

Banned
I think we as fans thrive off of the nuances of a season while it is ongoing, so in that way it's obviously different to experience 0-16 or 18-1. That said, when all is said and done there are ultimately two outcomes (ultimately is the key word); winning and losing. One team accomplishes the goal, every other team fails to accomplish that goal.

Just think of it this way; would you rather your team go 18-1 five straight seasons (losing in the SB each time) or win the SB once and then have four years of irrelevance? For me the answer is obvious. You can argue all day about how much better one loser is than the other but ultimately it is irrelevant.

But is that really what we're discussing? As a fan, I'd want my team in the playoffs every year, because the playoffs vary incredibly from year to year and maybe one or two times you get a Joe Flacco to be perfect for three or four games. Winning a SB is great, but I'm going to cheer for my team whether they're 0-16 or 18-1. The only thing is going to change is how much there is to cheer about really. If the goal of every team is to win a SB every year, having those highs and lows I'd argue actually is much much worse.

I am not good enough at insulting people online, drat. I am perfectly calm though, no idea what gave you the impression that i am not. I just hate that you come here and act like such a fucking prick all the time and then try and put down other people. you say I dont know you but I feel that I know you very well. If your real life persona is anything like the way you act online that is.

I do act elitist and pompous, but I'm hardly the only one. We differ on a lot of issues. If you want to talk about this like adults, PM me. If you want to continue calling me an asshole, fine, but it's kind of pointless.

But is that really what we're discussing? As a fan, I'd want my team in the playoffs every year, because the playoffs vary incredibly from year to year and maybe one or two times you get a Joe Flacco to be perfect for three or four games. Winning a SB is great, but I'm going to cheer for my team whether they're 0-16 or 18-1. The only thing is going to change is how much there is to cheer about really. If the goal of every team is to win a SB every year, having those highs and lows I'd argue actually is much much worse.
That's what I thought we were discussing.

I'd want my team in the playoffs every season as well, primarily because it means they have a chance of achieving the goal of the league but also because it probably means I enjoyed the season while it was in progress more than I would have otherwise. I'm sure all of you Pats fans had a great time during the majority of the 18-1 season, but do any of you look back on it as anything other than a failure?

I cheer for the Dolphins every year in hopes that they will improve and eventually win a SB. However, improvement that ultimately ends in never winning the SB is ultimately meaningless. That's what it all boils down to.

Also, you guys might have 18-1 but I have Dan Marino. When I look back on his career the first thing I think about isn't how great of a QB he was, it's how the stupid organization failed to surround him with enough talent to win him a ring.

Colasante

Yeah, you certainly raise good points. I think it's all a matter of perspective. I tend to look at football as a great narrative we're all a part of; less like a person in the future looking in a sports almanac and seeing which team won the Super Bowl and more like the stories a grandfather will tell his grandchildren decades from now. Obviously, stories tend to be better with the happy ending, but I don't think that's entirely necessary.

For me, and I may be alone in this, when I think of the 2010 season I don't think of the Packers, despite them winning the Super Bowl, rather I think of Mike Vick's resurrection with the Eagles. They didn't win the Super Bowl, but I'll remember Vick's Monday night game against the Redskins forever, and I don't know if I can say the same about the 2010 Packers, so to me, the Eagles season that year was a "success" despite their playoff loss. But I do get where you're coming from with that Super Bowl or bust thought.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Can we at least agree that 7-9 or 8-8 and missing the playoffs is probably the worst possible outcome.

Like getting an 8 and a 3 in Texas Hold 'Em.

Do any Bills fans look back on that 4 year run fondly? How about chargers fans, are they just happy that Rivers has gotten them in the playoffs so many times?

Sanjuro

I'd want my team in the playoffs every season as well, primarily because it means they have a chance of achieving the goal of the league but also because it probably means I enjoyed the season while it was in progress more than I would have otherwise. I'm sure all of you Pats fans had a great time during the majority of the 18-1 season, but do any of you look back on it as anything other than a failure?

I cheer for the Dolphins every year in hopes that they will improve and eventually win a SB. However, improvement that ultimately ends in never winning the SB is ultimately meaningless. That's what it all boils down to.

Also, you guys might have 18-1 but I have Dan Marino. When I look back on his career the first thing I think about isn't how great of a QB he was, it's how the stupid organization failed to surround him with enough talent to win him a ring.

I'll be completely honest with you, the 18-1 season is one of my least favorite seasons of all time. This was during the season and not in reflection.

The most entertaining game was the SB against the Giants. Go figure.

Tamanon

Banned
Can we at least agree that 7-9 or 8-8 and missing the playoffs is probably the worst possible outcome.

I'd say getting an 8 and a 3 in Hold 'Em is great! Easiest fold ever. Save yourself money instead of chasing.

But yeah, ~.500 is just good enough to keep your coach/QB, get an average draft pick, and not make the playoffs.

I'd weigh in on this debate, but I don't know what it's like to lose in the Super Bowl. Undefeated Super Bowl record is sweet, right Niners fans....oh wait

Sanjuro

I'd weigh in on this debate, but I don't know what it's like to lose in the Super Bowl. Undefeated Super Bowl record is sweet, right Niners fans....oh wait

To be fair, nobody won your first Super Bowl. That game was awful. Even this year the trash game had some comedic value.

Dragon

Banned

The 18-1 is a special case. As soon as they got into the playoffs undefeated, the only way they couldn't fail would be to win it all. For a team with any other number of losses, it wouldn't be on the table. If the Dolphins go 11-5 next year and make the playoffs and lose in the first round, you'd consider it a successful season, especially as Tannehill matures.

I considered 1994 a successful season for the Pats, it was Bledsoe's second year, and they made the playoffs before losing in the first round to the Browns. But just like the Skins this year, the next year being a complete bust kinda puts a damper in that for sure. I just think football is too unpredictable year to year for most teams to consider it a failure to win the SB.

Yeah that's why the Bills are always stuck in the doldrums.

JABEE

YH and Dragon. Is this about your console allegiances or is this about Dragon being a Pats fan?

Before I can judge this war, I need to know whether this feud is over a trivial matter or a grievous assault on human dignity worthy of Hellfire and damnation.

YH and Dragon. Is this about your console allegiances or is this about Dragon being a Pats fan?

Before I can judge this war, I need to know whether this feud is over a trivial matter or a grievous assault on human dignity!

Just him being a jerk all the time. I think it is strange that he roots for companies, but that is on him. No body has any problems with the other Pats fans here.

The 18-1 is a special case. As soon as they got into the playoffs undefeated, the only way they couldn't fail would be to win it all. For a team with any other number of losses, it wouldn't be on the table. If the Dolphins go 11-5 next year and make the playoffs and lose in the first round, you'd consider it a successful season, especially as Tannehill matures.

I considered 1994 a successful season for the Pats, it was Bledsoe's second year, and they made the playoffs before losing in the first round to the Browns. But just like the Skins this year, the next year being a complete bust kinda puts a damper in that for sure. I just think football is too unpredictable year to year for most teams to consider it a failure to win the SB.
You considered '94 a successful season for the Pats, but is that how you view it now? If Tannehill takes the team to the playoffs next year and they lose I'll be at least a little happy to see that they are moving in the right direction, but if he ends his career without a SB ring all of that improvement was ultimately meaningless.

Unrelated: this page is one of the best NFL-GAF has ever produced. Just happy I could be a part of it.

Sanjuro

You considered '94 a successful season for the Pats, but is that how you view it now? If Tannehill takes the team to the playoffs next year and they lose I'll be at least a little happy to see that they are moving in the right direction, but if he ends his career without a SB ring all of that improvement was ultimately meaningless.

Unrelated: this page is one of the best NFL-GAF has ever produced. Just happy I could be a part of it.

Tannehill did less with more in comparison if that means anything.

JABEE

I think we can all unite and celebrate this fact. It will bring us all closer together. There is no reason to hold grudges against each other.

Do you see me getting upset about Dragon going berserk in the Super Bowl Thread? No.

We have to learn to hate the Patriots and do so in a way that eliminates all of the other fighting that happens over trivial things like console wars and $400 cheeseburgers and yuppie polo picture contests.

rando14

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet·
Brandon Weeden received a two-year deal for the minimum, source said. He still has $2.1M guarantees on his deal with the #Browns.

Minimum is too much for Weeden.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hope Weeden comes into a game against the Eagles next year and does his patented under hand flip pass for a Taint.

Even though it's patented, it's still pulling a "Romo" since taints are basically synonymous with his name right? Sounds like a messy legal situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom