• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dutch, I'm sorry for the fighting today. We must all learn to understand and tolerate each other's differences. It may be difficult to tolerate some things (Gata's incest), but we have to keep trying. We only have one thread and we only have one world. Let's make it a better place.

Jabee, my friend, you made me realize that you and me, the younger generation has to fix the world the old people left behind for us.

I'll start by saying this: Futurevoid, I'm sorry that you're forced to root for that stupid fucking bag of shit Eli, you can't choose who you root for. I still consider you my bro.

BigAT

7CCzmJB.jpg

Bowser

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 45s
Panthers miss out on James Jones, re-confirm their commitment to the Amos Alonzo Stagg playbook.

"Missing out" on James Jones implies we actually tried to get him. If you recall, he made a public plea for us to consider him, which is always a sign that the team in question has yet to contact you.

At this point we have to use our first two picks on WRs. That is the only way any of this makes sense.

OL? Secondary?

At this point our needs outweigh our known commodities. We'll go BPA out of WR/OL/DB with our first two picks, simply because we need to replenish all 3 of those units.

JABEE

Jabee, my friend, you made me realize that you and me, the younger generation has to fix the world the old people left behind for us.

I'll start by saying this: Futurevoid, I'm sorry that you're forced to root for that stupid fucking bag of shit Eli, you can't choose who you root for. I still consider you my bro.
You too, Dutch. I'm not a fan of Eli Manning either.

Talamius

OL? Secondary?

At this point our needs outweigh our known commodities. We'll go BPA out of WR/OL/DB with our first two picks, simply because we need to replenish all 3 of those units.

It's not a pretty sight.

Pick WRs and maybe Cam throws quickly before he gets killed by whoever Byron Bell was supposed to block.

Pick OL and we just run the wishbone this year.

Pick Secondary and we lose a ton of 13-7 type games.

I don't like any of those but I suppose we have to pick one. I do think if we're going to tank then go all out with it.

cdyhybrid

Brandon Cooks
Odell Beckham Jr.
Possibly Kelvin Benjamin

I doubt all three of those guys are off the board at 28.

None of this alleviates the swiss cheese O-line of course.

Hey, we proved you don't need a good O-line to win the Super Bowl. You just need a historically good D, a top-3 RB and Houdini at QB.

squicken

Hey, we proved you don't need a good O-line to win the Super Bowl. You just need a historically good D, a top-3 RB and Houdini at QB.

Unger is a prototype center, Okung is a good LT and Breno was a functional RT. Your line was fine when healthy*. Lynch made first contact at LoS or beyond and went to work. A truly bad line has the back making first contact behind the LoS

I take this olive branch you've extended with a warm heart and extend my deepest regards with my own branch of broness. A trophy to commemorate our friendship.

eli-manning.jpg

Truly our bro bond has been strengthened.

Eli-Little-brother-gets-another-MVP-C5UUE39-x-large.jpg

Bowser

BTW, just to reiterate the root cause of the Panthers problems; top 10 2014 cap hits (bold no longer on team):

1. Charles Johnson $16,420,000
2. Greg Hardy $13,116,000
3. Jon Beason 8,000,000
4. Greg Olsen $7,800,000
5. Ryan Kalil $7,283,000
6. Charles Godfrey $7,100,000
7. Cam Newton $7,008,000
8. Steve Smith $7,000,000 (drops to $5m June 1st, but will add another $4m in dead money on 2015 cap)
9. Deangleo Williams $6,000,000
10. Jordan Gross $5,600,000

= $85,327,000

Leaving ~$47.7m to allocate to 44 other players.

102212-NFL-Panthers-Marty-Hurney-PI-AA_20121022152242743_660_320.JPG

Duxxy3

BTW, just to reiterate the root cause of the Panthers problems; top 10 2014 cap hits (bold no longer on team):

1. Charles Johnson $16,420,000
2. Greg Hardy $13,116,000
3. Jon Beason 8,000,000
4. Greg Olsen $7,800,000
5. Ryan Kalil $7,283,000
6. Charles Godfrey $7,100,000
7. Cam Newton $7,008,000
8. Steve Smith $7,000,000 (drops to $5m June 1st, but will add another $4m in dead money on 2015 cap)
9. Deangleo Williams $6,000,000
10. Jordan Gross $5,600,000

= $85,327,000

Leaving ~$47.7m to allocate to 44 other players.

102212-NFL-Panthers-Marty-Hurney-PI-AA_20121022152242743_660_320.JPG

They might want to extend Cam and frontload the shit out of the signing bonus.

JABEE

Change doesn't happen overnight. We obviously still have things to work out. I would like Dragon and YankeeHater to become friends.

exarkun

Wow at the panther's situation. Knew it was bad, but to how that much to players not with the team, and to have 47 mil for 44 players tho. Gotdamn. Thats basically a bunch of guys on short term contracts or a shitload of "special" special teamers.

And I make the Texans feel bad about giving Schaub a huge ass contract by writing letters to Rick Perry. The Panthers put things into perspective.

Dragon

Banned
Change doesn't happen overnight. We obviously still have things to work out. I would like Dragon and YankeeHater to become friends.

I would like a double quarter pounder with cheese and a side of no fucking way.

Don't know if this is posted but here is the breakdown of Browner's contract. He is only guaranteed $1million next year but has a lot of reachable bonuses.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-..._/id/4760347/closer-look-at-browners-contract

Obviously the Pats are going to do man coverage but I do wonder once Browner is back from his suspension how they cover for his lack of speed. Having essentially a rookie safety back there with Harmon is going to be interesting.

squicken

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff
Talking w/ a coach who was w/James Jones when he was young calls him an "absolute grinder & very high character guy"

must have been he was asking for too much. I really like this signing by the Raiders. I think they can draft a LT, pick up a WR in a later round and still be okay on offense. But gotta pass on the QB in the draft imo

Colasante

Don't know if this is posted but here is the breakdown of Browner's contract. He is only guaranteed $1million next year but has a lot of reachable bonuses.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-..._/id/4760347/closer-look-at-browners-contract

I had some initial sticker shock at the 3 years, $17 million figure, but this is not a particularly prohibitive contract. His cap figure is low this season and will be fine next season once Hernandez is finally off the books.

Duxxy3

I had some initial sticker shock at the 3 years, $17 million figure, but this is not a particularly prohibitive contract. His cap figure is low this season and will be fine next season once Hernandez is finally off the books.

Yup, that's not a bad contract at all when it's broken down.

So what do you guys think of Duron Harmon at strong safety? I'm feeling like we may not need to do anything at that position as long as he's surrounded by pro-bowlers.

Colasante

Yup, that's not a bad contract at all when it's broken down.

So what do you guys think of Duron Harmon at strong safety? I'm feeling like we may not need to do anything at that position as long as he's surrounded by pro-bowlers.

I think he'll be fine, and can provide an upgrade on Steve Gregory, but I wouldn't be opposed to them drafting a safety more in the mold of Kam Chancellor if one falls to them. I wasn't crazy about Calvin Pryor from what I've seen, but he and Deone Buchanon seem to be the best fits for the traditional, hard hitting safety should they go that route. I think pass rush and defensive tackle are more pressing needs though.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or disappointed that the Rams pretty much did nothing in FA. I guess it shows that the coaches have a lot of confidence that they can get everything together this year with our young players.

exarkun

Cowboys get Weeden and will probably give Allen the money they wouldn't give Ware.

Allen is better, but hes still gonna get double teamed, so I don't see how the Cowboys are improving.

And still though, its WEEDEN. lol

Colasante

I'd like the Pats to get Kony Ealy from Missouri if he's there.

I haven't watched anything on Kony Ealy, but I have seen him compared to Chandler Jones. I certainly wouldn't mind having two Chandler Joneses going after the quarterback. For me, Aaron Donald and Dee Ford are the guys I'd love to see on the Patriots. I think they'd both be a huge boon to the pass rush.

Giants agree to terms with Trindon Holliday. 1 year deal.

Kiwi was apparently told take the pay cut or he would be cut. Jerry isn't fucking around this offseason. Good. Makes me think he knows this team was closer to a 3-4 win team than that 7 win illusion.

Crisco

Banned
There are only two explanations for what the Panthers are doing, either McNutt is somehow blackmailing Gettleman or ..... nope, that's the only explanation.

I haven't watched anything on Kony Ealy, but I have seen him compared to Chandler Jones. I certainly wouldn't mind having two Chandler Joneses going after the quarterback. For me, Aaron Donald and Dee Ford are the guys I'd love to see on the Patriots. I think they'd both be a huge boon to the pass rush.

Donald will probably be gone but maybe Ford might there for the Pats. I'd rather they get a pass rusher than someone like Hageman.

Or maybe a miracle happens and Ebrons falls to them.

Zoctan

DRC to the Giants is big. 5 years for $39 million with $15 mil guaranteed is a good deal. I'm glad that they're spending their money on the defense this off-season. Now if we could just find some reliable offensive linemen...

Colasante

The Raiders gave James Jones a 3 year, $11.3M deal. Patriots signed Brandon LaFell for 3 years, $11M. I wanna vomit. But phenomenal deal by Reggie. That's a steal.

Draxal

Giants focusing on the secondary suggests to me that their building with Fewell rather than against him talentwise. This is the strongest back seven at the expense of front for the Giants that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom