• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Raiders signed Kevin Boothe to a 2 year deal. More Giants to Raiders connections.

Decent versatile lineman. Can play G and C. Not amazing but good depth as a swingman. No business starting anymore, IMO unless hes got great pieces around him.

Mark Sanchez most likely to the Raiders then, he's always had a desire to run into Boothe's massive ass.

I get why Panthers fans would be nervous at this point, but the season is still a long ways away and the draft is loaded with receivers. Circumstances change every draft, but take a look at where some receivers were drafted last season: Robert Woods (41st overall), Aaron Dobson (59th), Terrance Williams (74th), Stedman Bailey (92nd), Quinton Patton (128th), Kenny Stills (144th), and Kenbrell Thompkins and Marlon Brown (UDFA). You won't need to go WR with your first two picks to get solid starters in this year's draft. Gettleman kicked ass in the draft and at free agency last year, and I think he'll do it against this year. He's patient and an old school scout that trusts his instincts. Fear not, Panthers fans.

I'm not freaking out at all at this point. Maybe because I saw what was coming down the tube with our cap situation and knowing how Gettleman operates, I expected another slow offseason. He did the same thing last year and it panned out. We signed castoff safety Mike Mitchell, bust WR Ted Ginn Jr., retained underacheiving CB Captain Munnerlyn, hit it out of the park in the draft with Lotulelei and Short. It's easy to get caught up in other teams doing things, making splashy signings while we're not, but none of these rosters matter until the season starts in September.

There are only two things that I've had gripes with so far:

A) Gross Retirement- That was just really unexpected, I thought he'd give us another year.

B) I think he's made a mistake not signing at least one veteran receiver to this point. It doesn't have to be Nicks or Decker or any of those upper echelon FAs, but I think it would really help the development of the rookies he brings in if they have an older vet to teach them the ropes. Maybe that guy turns out to be Jerricho Cotchery?

ParityBit

IG1XMgF.jpg

Bottoms up! (Sam Adams Cold Snap btw)

Cold Snap is great! Enjoy it!

Bowser

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 7m
Jerricho Cotchery's free agent trip to Charlotte began tonight with dinner with Ron Rivera and Mike Shula. Continues tomorrow. #courting

We have to wine and dine Jerricho fucking Cotchery.

Second Son finished. 100% of everything and good ending for those wondering.

LOVED it. It stuck the landing wonderfully, IMO. Now I have to try and control myself so I don't start an evil run through before the day one patch and Cole's Legacy DLC on Friday.

remnant

Banned
Fuck Titanfall and infamous. Are any of you punk asses getting Dynasty warriors 8 on ps4? Game changer.

No.

Reggie has made up spome ground with the recent signings, but yeah still pissed at losing Lamarr and Veldheer. Atleast we have plugged up enough holes that we can realistically look at drafting one of the big 3 QB prospects or Sammy Watkins instead of another first round tackle.

effzee

Whats this garbage nonsense I'm hearing about the Eagles trading DJAX? This better not be true as I don't think we can get fair value in return, Maclin is 1 year removed from an ACL tear, and Cooper only worked because of the attention to DJAX in the passing game.

If he is traded I imagine the Panthers would be the team.

Second Son finished. 100% of everything and good ending for those wondering.

LOVED it. It stuck the landing wonderfully, IMO. Now I have to try and control myself so I don't start an evil run through before the day one patch and Cole's Legacy DLC on Friday.

Thanks to you I'm a bit hyped for this game as apposed to it just being the first big foray into current gen. Glad you enjoyed it and I hope I feel the same.

Also, glad you guys signed DRC, if Lewan doesn't fall to us then I'm hoping we can get Gilbert or Dennard (barring an unforeseeable fall from a mega stud) and I felt you guys were the most likely to snatch one of these two up.

squicken

So Orton might retire and the Cowboys need Weeden to throw for offseason workouts to take the burden off Romo's back? *wolf howls*

effzee

Hate to say it but the Giants have been making some good moves. Hope the DRC signing blows up in their faces though. Worse than just being bad, he didn't give a shit while on the Eagles.

Now that he got his money from the 1 year prove it deal, I hope he goes back to cruise mode.

Holiday is a great pick up for their special teams.

Have the Redskins made any moves at all?

squicken

538's first sports post

The Quiet Dominance of Steve Smith

The Carolina Panthers on Thursday released Steve Smith, the franchise’s all-time leading receiver, and he was snapped up Friday by the Baltimore Ravens – so it’s a good time to take stock of his career. The numbers say Smith is one of the best, and most underrated, wideouts of all time.

Whatever sympathy fans might have for Cam right now, they should know how lucky he was to be a first pick and get to play with such a dominant WR

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm not exactly sure how much cap space we have left but if Steve Smith wants to win and wants to win now why not come to D-Town? We already have Golden Tate and a guaranteed first or second round pick on another WR.

Imagine the possibilities. I don't think he is going to get much in the FA market given his age and injury situation, but he would probably be our #3, or #4 WR which would be deadly for any team facing us.

Just a Kas fact for the day: Both Steve Smith and Chad Ochocinco went to Santa Monica Community College and played on the same team before transferring to their (did I get that right Buckethead?) respective schools. So much talent goes to community colleges due to varying circumstances and then they transfer to smaller schools for whatever reason. When looking at the draft, always look for guys who had elite talent but didn't get to a big college because of grades, family issues, teenage mistakes etc.

EDIT: I'd wife up Emma Watson right quick

JABEE

I'm not exactly sure how much cap space we have left but if Steve Smith wants to win and wants to win now why not come to D-Town? We already have Golden Tate and a guaranteed first or second round pick on another WR.

Imagine the possibilities. I don't think he is going to get much in the FA market given his age and injury situation, but he would probably be our #3, or #4 WR which would be deadly for any team facing us.

Just a Kas fact for the day: Both Steve Smith and Chad Ochocinco went to Santa Monica Community College before transferring to their (did I get that right Buckethead?) respective schools. So much talent goes to community colleges due to varying circumstances and then they transfer to smaller schools for whatever reason. When looking at the draft, always look for guys who had elite talent but didn't get to a big college because of grades, family issues, teenage mistakes etc.

Steve Smith already signed with Baltimore.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
girl was all over me

"what are you going to do when my boyfriend gets here?"

and then

"so what's going to happen when I break up with him?"

...I'll pass and be drinking my green beer over here, thank you

Almost RIP in pieces Greg.

I mean, holy crap man haha. She's trying to get you shanked or shot or something.

Greg

Almost RIP in pieces Greg.

I mean, holy crap man haha. She's trying to get you shanked or shot or something.
I actually brushed off the first comment in laughter

and then she told me she was pretty much sticking with this guy because of rent and a cable bill

one night is never worth the eventual shit storm that follows whatever that was

Dating a girl from Ireland, who had a husband prior who died today.
damn

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Even if you move on from someone, having loved someone means they were a big part of your life.

GIve it time.

Totally agree. You'll see another girl who will catch your heart, but the previous girl(s) will always be apart of your life and experiences you lived and learned from.

I was buying a suit the other day for my Uncles Memorial (all black, Catholic Albanian tradition) and there was this beautiful Persian girl. I was with my pops so I couldn't exactly spit game at the time, but I found out she was Persian because her Aunt was measuring me for the suit (6'5, 240 lb Megatron status), and her Aunt kind of scolded her as she was walking away. I don't know what it was about but I recognized the language was some sort of Indo-European language I just didn't know if it was Farsi or Armenian. Her co-worker told me she was Persian, and it was one of those time stood still moments when you see a beautiful girl. Put my mind at ease for a few minutes.

I'm picking up my suit Friday, but NFLGAF brehs, this girl was beautiful. Not fake tits beautiful, but a girl with a beautiful face and just a cool personality. May ask for her number Friday but just seeing her for the first time soothed all the stress in life relating to work, family and the Lions.

With that being said my Mom will be starting her second round of chemo for Ovarian Cancer pretty soon. I've posted this before but shes been battling it for about 2 years now and already went through one round of chemo and numerous surgeries. Shes my best friend and was the one who allowed me to play football when my dad insisted on basketball or soccer instead. Whatever happens I've decided to commit myself to Ovarian Cancer awareness for women.

If it happens to be a 26 mile marathon, or donations, I will channel by inner Stafford and Suh and dedicate myself to treatment/research for Ovarian Cancer.

The worst thing about the Weeden signing will be the inevitable crazies who will be calling for him to start the second Romo has a bad game. Jerry loves himself his circus though. He just can't resist himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom