• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
I knew he got fucked up in that NO game, makes the game winning drive even more miraculous. Didn't think it would require surgery though. Ah well, better now than miss the whole season (although that wouldn't be a terrible idea either).

Colasante

For Patriots fans:
Good news on the Armond Armstead front: The second-year defensive tackle is on track to be ready for April 21, when the Patriots begin their offseason workout program.

Armstead missed the entire 2013 season due to an infection that he suffered during the offseason, though no other details have since emerged. He joined the team after a year in the Canadian Football League but was placed on the non-football illness list before training camp due to the infection.

The 6-foot-5, 305-pounder can essentially play anywhere on the line except nose tackle, but he was projected as the Patriots' third defensive tackle last season.

Until Armstead plays a down, I won't be certain that he actually exists, but this is good to hear nonetheless.

squicken

Damn that sucks for the Panthers. Need that QB-WR relationship strong for the season. I get resting it, but odd they waited. It's kind of odd b/c Cam is so big I just kind of assumed he'd never get hurt. Dumb I know, but the way he takes contact to defenders was remarkable for a QB

squicken

When do Keuchly and Scam have to get paid?

Under the new CBA, all first round picks can be given a 5th year at the club's option. The salary depends on where the player was drafted, but for a top 10 pick it is almost as high as the franchise tag

Draxal

Cam is a UFA after this season. Luke has one more year after that I believe.

Thanks, this might drive his price down a good bit, and I kinda understand why Gettleman wen the way he did this year with fa, he has to keep both, and both are going to get paid.

Hurney fucked that franchise badly.

Some updated cap numbers:

@ChrisHansenNFL
Per the @NFLPA, #Browns have $33.7M, #Raiders have $32.3M, Jets $27.9M, Bengals $26.6M, Jags $25.2M.

The Raiders had a private meeting with Bridgewater after his pro day yesterday, today:

@JohnMiddlekauff
#Raiders coaching staff having a private meeting w/Blake Bortles today & will attend pro day tomorrow.

Thanks, this might drive his price down a good bit, and I kinda understand why Gettleman wen the way he did this year with fa, he has to keep both, and both are going to get paid.

Hurney fucked that franchise badly.

Like squicken mentioned though you can extend a 1st round rookie for a 5th year, but it is a lot of money. If you are a top 10 pick they have to pay you the average of the 10 highest salaries at your position. http://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-5th-year-option-for-1st-round-picks/

Draxal

Like squicken mentioned though you can extend a 1st round rookie for a 5th year, but it is a lot of money. If you are a top 10 pick they have to pay you the average of the 10 highest salaries at your position. http://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-5th-year-option-for-1st-round-picks/

Ayup, that's why I'm a proponent of the Seahawks 32 pick having good value, as qb hungry teams will trade into that pick for the fifth year option. I think there's no way either of those two will hit free agency, so the fifth year will be moot for them.

Thanks Tebow Watt was picked at # 11....

Evilgrin.jpeg

I cant see the Texans making Watt play for $1.9m this year and then forcing him to play for the average for the 3rd through 25th highest DL men. He is such a great player I would be very worried about creating bad blood. I bet they work something out this season.

MechDX

I cant see the Texans making Watt play for $1.9m this year and then forcing him to play for the average for the 3rd through 25th highest DL men. He is such a great player I would be very worried about creating bad blood. I bet they work something out this season.

They will. Bet is the clean up the cap this season and let him know in the off season he gets paid. My theory as to why we haven't done squat in free agency

squicken

For guys like Watt and Robert Quinn, players that blew up taken outside of the top 10, the CBA really screwed them. Even if the Texans and Rams make them play that 5th year out, they still have the franchise tag. Quinn and Watt have such little leverage it's unlikely they ever truly see free agency until their skills are significantly degraded.

Neither the Rams or Texans have to be in a hurry to sign either guy

Duxxy3

For Patriots fans:

Until Armstead plays a down, I won't be certain that he actually exists, but this is good to hear nonetheless.

050313patsjw26.jpg

They say this is him, but I am 99% certain it's CG.

For guys like Watt and Robert Quinn, players that blew up taken outside of the top 10, the CBA really screwed them. Even if the Texans and Rams make them play that 5th year out, they still have the franchise tag. Quinn and Watt have such little leverage it's unlikely they ever truly see free agency until their skills are significantly degraded.

Neither the Rams or Texans have to be in a hurry to sign either guy

Yeah I didnt even consider the franchise tag.

Bowser

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 14m
In non-Cam news, WR Jerricho Cotchery wrapped up visit w/ Panthers. Left w/out a contract, per source. Deciding between CAR and #Steelers.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 2m
Cotchery leaving without a contract certainly would appear to favor the Steelers. Nicks didn't leave Indy without a contract.

We can't even sign Jerricho fucking Cotchery.

haSiQoL.gif

I'm not okay

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 24m
As it stands now, the Panthers: Franchise QB out til camp, no 1, 2 or 3 receiver, no left tackle, no starting corner.

I'm gonna go check out some Jameis Winston highlights

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why do Panthers fans even want Winston? Cam does the most in this league with the least amount of help, the notion Winston is going to come in and somehow do a better job than Cam with the rest of the talent on that team is pretty laughable.

Why do Panthers fans even want Winston? Cam does the most in this league with the least amount of help, the notion Winston is going to come in and somehow do a better job than Cam with the rest of the talent on that team is pretty laughable.

I was just joking. No one wants to draft another QB.

We're gonna have to do something with that No.1 pick tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom