• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why hasn't Blount found a team yet? People still thank concerned about him knocking that dude senseless?

Maybe teams are worried what Blount they will get, the guy that carried the Pats offense end of last year or the guy that was out of shape in TB. Why are the Pats not trying to resign him after all he did for them?

Maybe teams are worried what Blount they will get, the guy that carried the Pats offense end of last year or the guy that was out of shape in TB. Why are the Pats not trying to resign him after all he did for them?

Pats are trying to re-sign him, or at least interested, according to @RavensInsider

I wrote like 3 different responses to this but I think it's answered best in gif form:

sanders-fumble2-12-2-121.gif

Sanders is just a bit better than mediocre. He's has good speed, but he's not a burner. Has good hands, but doesn't make hard catches. Stupid to pay guys like that.

FO thinks Markus Wheaton can be just as good if not better, and the team has openly said they're going for a WR in the draft.

Yeah, Sanders reminds me exactly of the trio of guys from the mid 90s: Charles Johnson, Ernie Mills, Andre Hastings...all the same size guys with moderate skills who wind up with barely average careers.

Not really, if they're willing to let him interview with other teams. They feel they can lose him. I don't blame the Pats because they never pay running backs but that still leaves a shitload of other teams.

They probably made him an offer, and let him do what he wants to do. Same happened with Edelman, they wanted him back as well, but they let him visit other teams as well.

Here you go Dutch.

Screen-Shot-2014-03-21-at-12.14.59-PM-480x351.png

He is ready to be unleashed again.

#JackedCentral

I agree with you guys on Sanders but it's still going to be funny when he goes for over 1000 yards for Denver next year.

He probably will. Guy has talent, but for every 15 yard TD he gets he'll drop 4 wide open TD passes. Sanders had 6 TDs last season but he should have had double that.

They probably made him an offer, and let him do what he wants to do. Same happened with Edelman, they wanted him back as well, but they let him visit other teams as well.

#JackedCentral

Let's be honest Dutch. Edelman is just some guy. Seems everyone knew that but him. Pats would be stupid to pay him up front.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No other team is going to want a 35 year old Nose tackle for a gargantuan salary. Your demon Head Coach will convince Wilfork of that no problem.

While I agree with your sentiment, and he might as well be 35, he's 32, which at this point is a massive difference.

He probably will. Guy has talent, but for every 15 yard TD he gets he'll drop 4 wide open TD passes. Sanders had 6 TDs last season but he should have had double that.

Let's be honest Dutch. Edelman is just some guy. Seems everyone knew that but him. Pats would be stupid to pay him up front.

Also agree with the Edelman point on the receiver side, but he's arguably the best punt returner currently in the game, and he brings a lot of intangibles. On top of that "some guy" is significantly better than- Austin Collie, no name rookies (dobson was ok towards the end), Hooman, KT (beyond overhyped), etc.

Colasante

I'd like Blount back on the Patriots for the right price, although I think they could upgrade on him in the draft. I don't think he'd be a good fit for the Steelers. Not to take anything away from his performance late last season, but a good portion of his production was due to some fantastic run blocking, something that will likely be in short supply in Pittsburgh. MJD would be a much better fit for the Steelers, in my opinion.

Tamanon

Banned
Those are high salary guys. Nobody's going to pay them the money they want. MJD is fooling himself thinking he's getting 3.5 mil a season.

I still wouldn't be shocked if he resigns with the Jags to play out his career. I would love it, since my fiance got me his jersey last year dangit!

The Patriots have been pretty good with letting free agents leave. They let Welker go and replaced his production with Edelman even though they signed Amendola.

Only guy I can really think of that they missed on was Woodhead.

The Patriots have been pretty good with letting free agents leave. They let Welker go and replaced his production with Edelman even though they signed Amendola.

Had Vereen been healthy, he would have probably taken Woody his roll, but I agree. Woodhead is borderline elite in what he does, so good, he's a fantastic player and love the guy as a person.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Are you being serious or did I miss the sarcasm? They never effectively replaced Asante, Seymour, Randy (or branch UNTIL Randy for that matter). On top of that you really think Edelman replaced Welker? The receptions were there, the yards weren't, not to mention the consistency. The offseason was an unmitigated disaster and so has been free agency in general for the pats. Woodhead was a massive fail given 1. He's ridiculously undervalued and 2. Vereen gets injured if he sneezes wrong.

Fox318

What is DeSean Jackson really worth (In picks)?

If the jets traded a 4th for him I would be ok with that. Nothing more.

Are you being serious or did I miss the sarcasm? They never effectively replaced Asante, Seymour, Randy (or branch UNTIL Randy for that matter). On top of that you really think Edelman replaced Welker? The receptions were there, the yards weren't, not to mention the consistency. The offseason was an unmitigated disaster and so has been free agency in general for the pats. Woodhead was a massive fail given 1. He's ridiculously undervalued and 2. Vereen gets injured if he sneezes wrong.

Cut gata some slack it is hard keeping up with 2 NFL teams and creeping on your cousin at the same time.

Seymour and Randy were trades though and they werent going to sign with the Pats anyway. Asante was gone too.

Colasante

Seymour and Moss weren't free agents, they were traded. I agree with Gata, Bill has been great at determining when to let free agents go, with the exceptions being Asante Samuel, who I wanted gone anyway, and Danny Woodhead, whose absence wouldn't have been felt as much had Vereen been able to stay healthy.

I do think Edelman replaced Welker effectively last season. Keep in mind that 2013 Edelman vs. 2007-2012 Welker isn't an apples to apples comparison, because Welker was a cog in a much more effective offense, while Edelman had to be the man in an inconsistent, unimpressive offense. Welker had Moss, Gronk, Hernandez, and Woodhead playing with him most of the time, while Edelman had Gronk for a couple games, Vereen for a couple games, and an effective Dobson for a couple games, and that's it. Even though I'm still of the opinion that Edelman is closer to JAG than superstar, the guy played his ass off last season, and I don't think it's fair to say that Welker would have greatly outproduced him if he had Edelman's role in the offense last season.

Tom Penny

You're crazy. Belichick's track record for cutting bait with players then they are never heard from again or never play at the level they did with the Pats is stellar. Prior to Asante there were like zero of them..

JABEE

Great idea in concept.

The execution in acquiring these players?

turrible.

And lol@ DJAX just running one route. Cmon bro

Yeah. Desean runs plenty of different routes. I have seen him run out routes, wheel routes, screens, post routes, slant routes, corner routes etc.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Seymour and Randy were trades though and they werent going to sign with the Pats anyway. Asante was gone too.

That's why I just call them free agency, because that's where they went to try to replace them.

Randy- Ochocinco (LOL) and Brandon Lloyd, meh
Seymour- Banta cain? Burgess? Cunningham? Brace? I'll give Andre Carter and Anderson some credit, but they were buy low guys anyways, never had the impact Seymour did.
Asante- Disasterrrrrrrr- Shawn Springs, darius butler, wheatley, wilhite, McCourty (safety now obviously, still a fail), Dowling, etc. Finally found the replacement in Talib, but still bit them on the ass because he couldn't stay on the field. Hopefully Revis is finally the replacement.

They let these guys go, and maybe they were done, maybe they were overpriced, but they have failed in a big way in an attempt to replace them, which the Seymour/Asante/Harrison thing are the major reasons for their defense being a disaster. harrison is different, but cmon- Tavon Wilson (who!?), pat chung, big bang clock, steven gregory.

That's why I just call them free agency, because that's where they went to try to replace them.

Randy- Ochocinco (LOL) and Brandon Lloyd, meh
Seymour- Banta cain? Burgess? Cunningham? Brace? I'll give Andre Carter and Anderson some credit, but they were buy low guys anyways, never had the impact Seymour did.
Asante- Disasterrrrrrrr- Shawn Springs, darius butler, wheatley, wilhite, McCourty (safety now obviously, still a fail), Dowling, etc. Finally found the replacement in Talib, but still bit them on the ass because he couldn't stay on the field. Hopefully Revis is finally the replacement.

They let these guys go, and maybe they were done, maybe they were overpriced, but they have failed in a big way in an attempt to replace them, which the Seymour/Asante/Harrison thing are the major reasons for their defense being a disaster. harrison is different, but cmon- Tavon Wilson (who!?), pat chung, big bang clock, steven gregory.

You're making it sound like the Pats had a choice in all this? You wanted them to sign every single one of them within the cap? Asante got like a 60 million dollar deal in Philly, you have to make choices.

Had a legit snow storm this morning and now there's literally no snow out cause the sun came out, and it looks pretty nice. Damn Ohio and our exotic weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom