• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Seymour and Moss weren't free agents, they were traded. I agree with Gata, Bill has been great at determining when to let free agents go, with the exceptions being Asante Samuel, who I wanted gone anyway, and Danny Woodhead, whose absence wouldn't have been felt as much had Vereen been able to stay healthy.

I do think Edelman replaced Welker effectively last season. Keep in mind that 2013 Edelman vs. 2007-2012 Welker isn't an apples to apples comparison, because Welker was a cog in a much more effective offense, while Edelman had to be the man in an inconsistent, unimpressive offense. Welker had Moss, Gronk, Hernandez, and Woodhead playing with him most of the time, while Edelman had Gronk for a couple games, Vereen for a couple games, and an effective Dobson for a couple games, and that's it. Even though I'm still of the opinion that Edelman is closer to JAG than superstar, the guy played his ass off last season, and I don't think it's fair to say that Welker would have greatly outproduced him if he had Edelman's role in the offense last season.

Edelman is a solid guy, and he had chances with exactly what Welker had 4 different seasons, but only produced sometimes. He's an injury machine, and not quite as impressive as Welker. People always want to make comparisons and call him a "system guy", and while I'm glad he's gone since he's old for a guy who relies on his speed on a once busted knee, I would take him any day over Amendola and even still Edelman.

You also mention "had vereen been healthy", look at the guys track record. It's the same damn thing as amendola or hell even Edelman, it's a MASSIVE if when you take into account what he's dealt with his entire career. That's like signing Bob Sanders as your only safety. Who was their backup plan? Leon Washington, he really kicked ass for the pats.

You're crazy. Belichick's track record for cutting bait with players then they are never heard from again or never play at the level they did with the Pats is stellar. Prior to Asante there were like zero of them..

I agree that most haven't gone on to do great things (or anything), that's not my point. My point is that they've let them go and failed to replace them.

Bowser

CAR not interested in DeSean and his giant contract. Eagles "informally approached" Carolina:

Bill Voth ‏@billvoth 50m
no, b/c CAR was never interested. MT @BillVoth Change anything? RT@evansilva Eagles "reached out" to Panthers, re: Jackson.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You're making it sound like the Pats had a choice in all this? You wanted them to sign every single one of them within the cap? Asante got like a 60 million dollar deal in Philly, you have to make choices.

My choice would've been to go out and get somebody else whose proven, not overpay an old broken down shawn springs, or draft 100 different CBs and hope that one of them sticks, especially not with shitty Josh Boyer at the helm.

Colasante

That's why I just call them free agency, because that's where they went to try to replace them.

Randy- Ochocinco (LOL) and Brandon Lloyd, meh
Seymour- Banta cain? Burgess? Cunningham? Brace? I'll give Andre Carter and Anderson some credit, but they were buy low guys anyways, never had the impact Seymour did.
Asante- Disasterrrrrrrr- Shawn Springs, darius butler, wheatley, wilhite, McCourty (safety now obviously, still a fail), Dowling, etc. Finally found the replacement in Talib, but still bit them on the ass because he couldn't stay on the field. Hopefully Revis is finally the replacement.

They let these guys go, and maybe they were done, maybe they were overpriced, but they have failed in a big way in an attempt to replace them, which the Seymour/Asante/Harrison thing are the major reasons for their defense being a disaster. harrison is different, but cmon- Tavon Wilson (who!?), pat chung, big bang clock, steven gregory.

I feel you're conflating a couple difference concepts here, in terms of the draft, acquiring free agents, trading players, and knowing when to let players leave for other teams. Bill's track record of acquiring free agents has been spotty in recent years- some good hits like Andre Carter, Brian Waters, and Mark Anderson, and some misses like Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth.

His drafting has also been inconsistent- he's drafted blue chip players like Devin McCourty and Chandler Jones, but also disappointing players like Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette. In terms of trades, I don't think it was a mistake to trade Randy Moss when he did, and I wasn't in favor of trading Seymour, but I don't think trading Seymour for Nate Solder is a net loss. But in terms of knowing when to let players leave for other teams, Bill is nearly flawless, with the exceptions being Asante Samuel and Danny Woodhead, and arguably Wes Welker, although I don't agree with that. The Patriots, Packers, and Giants are all alike in this way, in that when they allow a player to leave their franchise, it's usually a red flag and those players rarely go on to match their past success.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I feel you're conflating a couple difference concepts here, in terms of the draft, acquiring free agents, trading players, and knowing when to let players leave for other teams. Bill's track record of acquiring free agents has been spotty in recent years- some good hits like Andre Carter, Brian Waters, and Mark Anderson, and some misses like Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth.

His drafting has also been inconsistent- he's drafted blue chip players like Devin McCourty and Chandler Jones, but also disappointing players like Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette. In terms of trades, I don't think it was a mistake to trade Randy Moss when he did, and I wasn't in favor of trading Seymour, but I don't think trading Seymour for Nate Solder is a net loss. But in terms of knowing when to let players leave for other teams, Bill is nearly flawless, with the exceptions being Asante Samuel and Danny Woodhead, and arguably Wes Welker, although I don't agree with that. The Patriots, Packers, and Giants are all alike in this way, in that when they allow a player to leave their franchise, it's usually a red flag and those players rarely go on to match their past success.

I realize I'm wording wrong definitely, but my whole overall point is letting guys go, which I'm fine with him understanding that they're done, but he's either lucky, or the players get lazy, because his talent evaluation is beyond mediocre. He hit homeruns with Rodney Harrison and Corey Dillon(let's be real, who wouldn't have), but his stinkers are horrendous, especially of late.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Is it weird I'm crying out of joy!?

I'm also laughing cause Schoob is now Rors QB.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Raiders are a better team than the Texans. Now? They are unstoppable

matt-schaub-struggle.gif

Matrix

lol

"Grade: F. Unless the Raiders have a deal in place to renegotiate with Schaub, they’re going to lose millions in cap room in 2014 for a quarterback who clearly has major mechanical issues, they’re going to do it when Michael Vick and Josh Freeman are on the open market and they’re giving up a draft pick for the “honor.” This is the kind of move that gets people fired."

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/21/matt-schaub-oakland-raiders-trade-houston-texans/

Matrix

lol I just noticed Schoob gets to face Watt this year. He's the only starter in the league that truly hasn't experienced that yet.

MechDX

Noodle arms gonna Taint them to a Superb Owl.

Going on recent history, probably.

lol

"Grade: F. Unless the Raiders have a deal in place to renegotiate with Schaub, they’re going to lose millions in cap room in 2014 for a quarterback who clearly has major mechanical issues, they’re going to do it when Michael Vick and Josh Freeman are on the open market and they’re giving up a draft pick for the “honor.” This is the kind of move that gets people fired."

Schaub is a better shade of shit than Freeman and Vick.

I miss Schaub. Lets bring him back.

Rorschach

lol

lol Josh Freeman. I'd rather have a Nachos Bell Grande start at QB than Josh Freeman. When will people stop fawning over that one hit wonder? Also, why would you want Vick cancer in your locker room? And I like how people were like "omg Raiders need to spend" then when they spend "Raiders are spending! What a bunch of idiots!" Can't have it both ways, SI!

Going on recent history, probably.

Schaub is a better shade of shit than Freeman and Vick.

There is no way Schaub is better then Vick. Vick is more injury prone, but Schuab has had his share of injuries as well, Vick is faster, has a much better arm, and doesnt throw more Taints then TDs. Vick is far and away a better QB.

Steelers signed WR Lance Moore to a two year deal. Potentially a nice move.
I like the move. I think they're hoping Ebron is there in the first. Either that or an LB, although other than Mack I don't think there's another top 15 LB in this draft.

Rumor is they're after Owens at CB and talking with Harrison to return.

Fox318

2. gabbert is better than any QB on the jets roster. that is sad

Are you sniffing fucking fumes?

I'd take any of the the QBs the jets have had over the past 10 year over Gabbert.

• McElroy
  • Tebow
  • Sanchez
  • Simms
  • David Garrard
  • Mark Brunell
  • Kevin O'Connell
  • Kellen Clemens
  • Chris Pizzotti
  • Erik Ainge
  • Brett Favre
  • Brett Ratliff
  • Chad Pennington
  • Marques Tuiasosopo

Gabbert is the worst QB to come play for the NFL since JaMarcus

Rorschach

I'd take any of the the QBs the jets have had over the past 10 year over Gabbert.

• McElroy
  • Tebow
  • Sanchez
  • Simms
  • David Garrard
  • Mark Brunell
  • Kevin O'Connell
  • Kellen Clemens
  • Chris Pizzotti
  • Erik Ainge
  • Brett Favre
  • Brett Ratliff
  • Chad Pennington
  • Marques Tuiasosopo

That is one of the worst lists I've ever seen and it doesn't refute his "on the jets roster" statement.

Sanjuro

• McElroy
  • Tebow
  • Sanchez
  • Simms
  • David Garrard
  • Mark Brunell
  • Kevin O'Connell
  • Kellen Clemens
  • Chris Pizzotti
  • Erik Ainge
  • Brett Favre
  • Brett Ratliff
  • Chad Pennington
  • Marques Tuiasosopo

I'd take Favre, Pennington, and a younger Brunell (so he doesn't apply really).

Gabbert over the rest.

Colasante

lol Josh Freeman. I'd rather have a Nachos Bell Grande start at QB than Josh Freeman. When will people stop fawning over that one hit wonder? Also, why would you want Vick cancer in your locker room? And I like how people were like "omg Raiders need to spend" then when they spend "Raiders are spending! What a bunch of idiots!" Can't have it both ways, SI!

I agree with you in principle, but I think the Schaub trade is a horrible move, both in having to give up compensation for a quarterback who is only marginally better than the free agent crop, and in the salary the team has to take on for him. If McKenzie is bringing Schaub in to start, I think it's a bad idea because he's not a very good quarterback, and if he's bringing him in to backup a rookie selection, I think it's a bad idea because he's too expensive for that role.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 17s

The Giants have signed OL John Jerry, who was the starter at right guard for the Dolphins. #NYG

We signed a member of the Dolphins offensive line?

yuck.gif

I know absolutely nothing about the man. Dolphins-GAF help? He's there as back-up material but still

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom