• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

DAT Hakeem Nicks market.

tumbleweeds01.jpg

Reese should offer him a 1 year "prove it" deal. $5 and a Kit Kat bar with a regal movie theater coupon if he reaches certain incentives (like you know...trying).

"As his agent we request snowcaps instead of a kit kat bar"

Dave Caldwell is a fucking magician. He got picks for Gabbert. I wanted the kid to work out for us but no luck. Maybe the niners can salvage him.

Meh, still too much

Right but fans need to shut up about "overpays" until they understand the structure of a contract. Giants fans are pissing and moaning about Stevie Brown getting 4 million when they know absolutely nothing about how that contract is structured.

Guaranteed money is all that matters.

slabrock

Banned
Right but fans need to shut up about "overpays" until they understand the structure of a contract. Giants fans are pissing and moaning about Stevie Brown getting 4 million when they know absolutely nothing about how that contract is structured.

Guaranteed money is all that matters.

Tell them to be nice. Stevie Brown went to my high school

JABEE

Eagles are suffering from Phillies free agent syndrome. Pay shitty players well over what they deserve but a little less than what good players are making. Jenkins is the Eagles' Delmon Young.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Circling back a couple days: Michael Bennett's deal with #Seahawks $10M fully gtd in 2014. His $6M in 2015 gtd for injury only right now.

LOL

squicken

Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL
QBs completed 75% of passes and had a 103 rating vs. Malcolm Jenkins last year. His 16 missed tackles tied for 4th most at safety. #Eagles

Jesus, why did Philly go after him so hard?

I think Caldwell and Bradley will turn the Jags into a really good team someday. It is just going to take alot of time to do that.

I think so too. They could accelerate it by choosing the right QB. Either way there's a lot of holes to fill. Interior oline, pass rush, RB, etc. Hopefully the drunken receiver can stay out of trouble and we don't have to redo that one too.

I think so too. They could accelerate it by choosing the right QB. Either way there's a lot of holes to fill. Interior oline, pass rush, RB, etc. Hopefully the drunken receiver can stay out of trouble and we don't have to redo that one too.

I think the odds are usually against players with substance abuse issues. I'm not expecting much with Blackmon but I hope he turns it around. He could be a top WR in the league if he remains focused.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tate would be a solid pickup for the Lions pairing with Megatron. Scary!

Tate stinks.

The biggest nothing the Patriots ever did was allow him to start a fucking playoff game. Fucking hate the prick.

Him and Zo know NOTHING about current sports culture or how the game actually works these days. Their heads are so far up the orginizations ass anyways, I couldn't stand listening to them so I stopped a while back

edit-
Ware and Talib

This is an absolute no brainer. I love Julian in all that he's done, and he works his ass off, but he was a product of having NOBODY else to catch the ball, and his track record is actually just as bad/worse than Amendola with injuries. They should pick up Holmes for cheap, get Nicks for cheap, and have Josh McD summon Brandon back and they'll produce more than that garbage did last year. That being said they should pick up either OD or HOFinley for the inevitable Gronk IR.

squicken

In short, the Raiders got worse on the offensive line and still have upwards of $52 million in cap room while free agents are flying off the board across the league. You might say, “Good for Reggie. He didn’t overpay for known commodities. Maybe he’s holding out for that Darrelle Revis trade everyone’s talking about.” Only that’s not happening. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk says the Raiders have pulled out of negotiations with the Buccaneers for the All-Pro corner, which makes sense, given the value McKenzie must place on keeping draft picks in order to rebuild. Yet as each well-regarded free agent flies off the board, the Raiders are looking less like a competent football team.

The top priorities at this stage are free safety, defensive end, defensive tackle and tackle (if Saffold is really playing inside)—yet the top players available at each position were either gone in the first two hours of free agency or are eyeing other destinations. Some of the highlights: The run on offensive tackles saw the top three players agree to terms in the first hour. As for defensive tackles, former Giant Linval Joseph is now a Viking and former Bengal Michael Johnson is now a Buccaneer. Bills safety Jairus Byrd is reportedly deciding between the Eagles and Redskins.

If the Raiders don’t start shelling out cash for the best remaining free agents, they’ll be forced to overpay for lesser players in order to be in compliance with the new CBA, which requires teams to spend 89% of the cap over four-year periods of 2013-16 and 2017-20. Thus, for every hour that passes without the Raiders making a big splash, prospective signees are earning another bargaining chip.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/11/free-agency-live-blog/

I almost wonder if the Raiders don't have the cash to hand out big bonuses.

Panthers are really about to fuck around and pay Nicks what he wants. Wow

If he's up for it, he's the best receiver on the roster easily (even if Smith stays), but that's a large investment to make to see if he can get up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom