• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Colts and Davis come to an agreement

gatsby-leo-051113.gif

4 years, $39 million, $20 million guaranteed for Vontae Davis.

post-30826-Ed-Norton-laptop-close-gif-Hul-Teya.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So all we've done is lost all our depth on defense, might lose Tate and resigned a 3rd string TE? :(
Calm down.

McCoy was second string, we still have Baldwin, and we signed Bennett who can be either a DE or DT, most importantly in the nickel.

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle

Defense could be...
S: Earl, Kam, Jeron/Shead, DRAFT PICK (4 total)
CB: Sherm, Maxie, Lane, Simon, DRAFT PICK (5 total)
LB: (6 total): Bobby, KJ, Smith, Morgan, Toomer/Taylor/Farwell, DRAFT PICK
LEO: Avril, Irvin, Either Clem or maybe Ware or Allen, Mayowa/DRAFT PICK (4 total)
DL: Mebane, Bennett, Scruggs, Hill, either Tony McDaniel or Randy Starks, and Big Jesse (6 total)

squicken

Why would Houston be interested in Decker? Already have Hopkins and Dre. I know Dre is getting old, but it's not an immediate need and the money is better spent elsewhere

cdyhybrid

Calm down.

McCoy was second string, we still have Baldwin, and we signed Bennett who can be either a DE or DT, most importantly in the nickel.

Does that mean Maragos is gone? He's technically a S IIRC.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
#Seahawks are negotiating with DT Tony McDaniel for him to return to Seattle, per source.

_woLf

So all we've done is lost all our depth on defense, might lose Tate and resigned a 3rd string TE? :(

I still don't think we'll lose Tate and McCoy was a 2nd stringer (and a pretty decent one at that) before he got hurt.

After Bennett took a discount I can't imagine Tate backing down on what he said.

Wes

venison crêpe
@AlbertBreer
Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins has a multi-year offer sheet from Cleveland. He's a restricted FA, so when signed, Cincy has matching rights.

@AlbertBreer:
And just to be clear, Andrew Hawkins plans to sign the offer sheet with the Browns. So the Bengals will have to mull over matching it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yuck. I'd hate to see a washed up veteran take away snaps from Dobson and Boyce.

They wouldn't have to, they'd be fliers... besides both are fairly young, and Santonio was mentally checked out. I have less faith in Miles, but if you get him for nothing why not? He's basically like a stallworth deal at this point I'd imagine.

edit- I'm not looking at those guys as the sole move, I still want them to snatch 1 maybe 2 decent players that can actually compete. If you could get something out of those guys as a 4th option and run with Dobson as your 2nd/3rd (depending how long Gronk/Amendola last), then they'll be fine. I wish they'd grab one of these TEs to toss out there though in Jermichael or OD, they're both dirt cheap and good targets in the red.

By up for it, I mean physically and mentally.

And it's not like Stevie's knees are that great at the moment either.
9.gif

Stevie's knees have probably been trash for a while, but he still gets it done, Nicks got by on pure talent, but can't cope without that clear advantage and that became clear over the last 2 years.

Crisco

Banned
The market for receivers seems very soft right now, probably because of the strong draft class and only a handful of teams with dire need at the position. I really don't think there is mutual interest there with the Panthers, I'd bet most of the smoke is coming from the Nicks camp to try and drive up his price. The Giants were shopping Nicks before the deadline and Gettleman could have made a move then, but there wasn't even a hint from the Panthers that they wanted him. I could be completely wrong but I seriously doubt Nicks is ever wearing a Panthers uniform, unless he takes a 1 year deal with nothing guaranteed.

Wow Gabbert for a 6th round pick....wtf man..That's some hubristic shit right there if they think Harbaugh can turn Gabbert into a serviceable QB...What's the word on Bethea? Seems like we might've downgraded at safety.

@AlbertBreer
Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins has a multi-year offer sheet from Cleveland. He's a restricted FA, so when signed, Cincy has matching rights.

@AlbertBreer:
And just to be clear, Andrew Hawkins plans to sign the offer sheet with the Browns. So the Bengals will have to mull over matching it.

Takes one suitor for Edelman off the table.

squicken

Peter King on Cleveland's day and Mack

Cleveland GM Ray Farmer and owner Jimmy Haslam are keeping low profiles these days. They believe it makes no sense for them to talk a big game until they win a few, and they’re probably right. But their fans are going to ask, and rightfully so, “Why are we signing players who might be gone by the time we get good?”

I believe it has to do with making sure you have players in your locker room who—for love of the team, or for money, or both—want to be there and profess their desire to turn the team around. Jackson was that kind of player, but Cleveland obviously felt he wasn’t worth investing millions in for the future. But the decisions to not franchise Ward and center Alex Mack, who has been transition-tagged and could be stolen by another team with no compensation coming back to the Browns, mean, to me, that the Browns aren’t going to beg any player to stay.

They had three fruitless rounds of negotiations with Mack. If he signs elsewhere, I get the feeling that the Browns will match only if it’s not a painful match. The last thing the Browns want to do is take a player back—maybe for one year only—who clearly doesn’t want to be there.

The Browns have a rocky road ahead, and the first pothole will be selling their fans that they got better on day one of free agency.

Maybe that is the Raiders deal as well. Just want guys who want to be there. That definitely would rule out Revis

Eleuin

Shields setting the bar, that Davis contract lol

Eagles blew their load on Malcolm Jenkins?

Raiders let rashad go too? he was fantastic dafuq
Wonder where starks goes now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom