• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

2nfCXr6.jpg

How do you feel about the Vick signing, Fox? You might have already said something about it but if you did I missed it. I'm curious to hear from other Jets fans as well.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Suh is basically Albert Haynesworth IV

:jnc

Expect for the fact the fact Suh works out harder than just about any other NFL player, weight lifting wise. Suh and Haynesworth are the complete opposite of the defensive lineman spectrum.

Haynesworth was athletically gifted, but didn't work out and did not give a damn about the game. Suh is the exact opposite. He is first in the gym, last to leave the gym type of dude. You don't find 6'4, 6'5 300 lb ripped defensive lineman with his work ethic and speed. He can play outside linebacker, defensive end or defensive tackle. Last one the NFL saw like that was Reggie White, IMO. Just appreciate the greatness.

If the hits make you queasy here is the soccer thread

Sanjuro

Yup.

And isn't Chip scheduled to speak too? I bet he also gives some stupid answer.

Who is trying to make it acceptable?

The point was he served his time. Lost his money and lost 2 years of his NFL life. What else do you want him to do or go through?

And I'll stick by defending his play on the field when actually healthy. The two years with turnovers left and right were the last 2 years with Reid where everyone top to bottom seemed to have quit. OLINE was missing 4 out of 5 starters and Vick was getting blasted 2 seconds after snapping the ball. He tried to do way too much and would turn it over by trying to make a miracle play every play.

It wasn't shocking to see him do well with Chip when he renewed the focus on the run game and the OLINE was healthy and better.

I'll root for him to do well with the Jets with my crimzon brotha.

Maybe you aren't familiar with my dialog on Vick. His on field performance was always the primary issue I've had when discussing him, the off field antics just were tagged on at a later date.

Chip could have developed him into the quarterback he needs to be at this point, but Vick wouldn't accept that. The guy has an ego and believes he is an elite quarterback, when in reality he is simply unprepared and doesn't have a great sense for the position.

I'm just amazed teams are still overvaluing him. For the Jets? It's really a perfect place. They now have a quarterback who cares as little about offense as their coach.

Hayneworth had some great season though, Suh hasnt come close to what albert did as a player.

Yup.

And isn't Chip scheduled to speak too? I bet he also gives some stupid answer.

Who is trying to make it acceptable?

The point was he served his time. Lost his money and lost 2 years of his NFL life. What else do you want him to do or go through?

And I'll stick by defending his play on the field when actually healthy. The two years with turnovers left and right were the last 2 years with Reid where everyone top to bottom seemed to have quit. OLINE was missing 4 out of 5 starters and Vick was getting blasted 2 seconds after snapping the ball. He tried to do way too much and would turn it over by trying to make a miracle play every play.

It wasn't shocking to see him do well with Chip when he renewed the focus on the run game and the OLINE was healthy and better.

I'll root for him to do well with the Jets with my crimzon brotha.

Chip is scheduled to meet the media on Wednesday. Cant wait to see how he ducks the question this time.

Yeah, the Seahawks have sure had plenty of guys kick opposing players in the nuts or body slam them out of bounds.

Never said that they did that. Guess your hang up is the definition of 'dirty'. Personally I feel repeated use of banned substances is just as dirty as late hits and nut kicks, but perhaps that's just me.

It certainly makes us look bad to spend so much effort in a drug program without much on-field results. We ended up giving up each time!

Finally the Seahawks achieved the drug cocktail to put them over the top! Congratulations!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Never said that they did that. Guess your hang up is the definition of 'dirty'. Personally I feel repeated use of banned substances is just as dirty as late hits and nut kicks, but perhaps that's just me.
Late hits, nut kicks, and rapists.
Finally the Seahawks achieved the drug cocktail to put them over the top! Congratulations!
Done without players involved with PEDs. Winners don't use drugs!

cdyhybrid

It just might be, unless you're one of those that still believes there aren't guys on every team using those substances (or that weed is a performance enhancer, :jnc). I'm not surprised a fan of Hines Ward would downplay cheap shots that could actually injure people, though.

Tenumi

Banned

What?

Hayneworth had some great season though, Suh hasnt come close to what albert did as a player.

Also what?

Sorry, I just find these a little funny. Suh isn't perfect, but he's dang good, even if the stat sheet doesn't always show it. Shame about Fairly leaving, but to be honest, he's a really streaky player. Rather have some consistency from the 2nd DT spot.

Late hits, nut kicks, and rapists.

Done without players involved with PEDs. Winners don't use drugs!

i
Winners get off on technicalities!

It just might be, unless you're one of those that still believes there aren't guys on every team using those substances (or that weed is a performance enhancer, :jnc). I'm not surprised a fan of Hines Ward would downplay cheap shots that could actually injure people, though.
"Everyone does it". Great argument. Can't wait to hear what you say when some Seahawks player is accused of cheap shotting next.

This reminds me of the time I said something about Hines Ward being cheap and bionic told me injuring the opponent was the point of the game. Good times, haha.

cdyhybrid

i
Winners get off on technicalities!

Sorry, I live in America, where you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. I can only go by what the league's legislative process says!

"Everyone does it". Great argument. Can't wait to hear what you say when some Seahawks player is accused of cheap shotting next.

That's not my argument at all, unfortunately. We were comparing "dirty" player activities. I'm just saying if you're comparing PED use and cheap shots, one is widespread and does not directly injure opposing players, and one is not widespread and directly injures opposing players.

The Seahawks don't have a record for cheap shots, just hard physical play up to the whistle. Fans of the current Steelers have probably forgetten what that's like, though!

What?

Also what?

Sorry, I just find these a little funny. Suh isn't perfect, but he's dang good, even if the stat sheet doesn't always show it. Shame about Fairly leaving, but to be honest, he's a really streaky player. Rather have some consistency from the 2nd DT spot.

I am not saying Suh isnt good, he is good when he wants to be, but Albert was so dominate. There is a reason teams were dying to give him huge contracts. Before he eat himself out of the league he really was a force.

Sorry, I live in America, where you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. I can only go by what the league's legislative process says!

That's not my argument at all, unfortunately. We were comparing "dirty" player activities. I'm just saying if you're comparing PED use and cheap shots, one is widespread and does not directly injure opposing players, and one is not widespread and directly injures opposing players.

The Seahawks don't have a record for cheap shots, just hard physical play up to the whistle. Fans of the current Steelers have probably forgetten what that's like, though!
Interesting take. See, I could also say one is an attempt at flouting the rules, while the other is....an attempt at flouting the rules!

Or, I could go another route and allege one is systemic, while the other isn't. This is fun!

As I said before it's fun to play the "my team are Saints and yours are sinners" game, yet it's pretty stupid to do that when your 'saints' are repeatedly caught and suspended for illegal drug use. You cut or released some of them after the fact so it's okay though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You cut or released some of them after the fact so it's okay though.
Well, the whole point of PEDs are to enhance performance, presumably to get points and win, right? Kind of silly to get upset over a team that has backups who get into trouble and who still ended up not mattering.

Sucks for us, though. Waste of time, money, and roster space.

cdyhybrid

Interesting take. See, I could also say one is an attempt at flouting the rules, while the other is....an attempt at flouting the rules!

Or, I could go another route and allege one is systemic, while the other isn't. This is fun!

As I said before it's fun to play the "my team are Saints and yours are sinners" game, yet it's pretty stupid to do that when your 'saints' are repeatedly caught and suspended for illegal drug use. You cut or released some of them after the fact so it's okay though.

And it's fun to play the "my team are Saints and yours are sinners" game, yet it's pretty stupid to do that when your 'saints' are repeatedly employing players with reputations for cheap shots and otherwise dirty play on the field. You cut or released some of them after the fact so it's okay though. Oh wait, you didn't - you just voted them MVP of the team a few times.

Fox318

How do you feel about the Vick signing, Fox? You might have already said something about it but if you did I missed it. I'm curious to hear from other Jets fans as well.

Honestly I don't know. If he was brought in as a backup the signing makes a little more sense but I would have rather had a Fitzpatrick or someone else with starting experience who wasn't going to bring baggage to the Jets.

For those that say Vick is going to mentor Smith I think they are crazy. Smith is a pocket passer where as vick is a more mobile qb. The only thing they have in common is they both like to throw deep.

The dog stuff still is going to be an issues with people and I do have to say I'm not going to be jumping up and down cheering for him. The NY media is going to go nuts with it. Every jets story is going to feature a mention about dogs no matter what.

Crimes of passion and monetary lapses of stupidity I can get over but Vick was running a machine in his house. I know alot of it was his family members but I remember the excuse for him and others indited was that they "came from a culture of fighting" so it was ok, bullshit.

If they brought him in to start Idzik went full crazy after being asleep the first week of free agency.

Its either a brilliant move or one that will put the GM on the hot seat for next year.

And it's fun to play the "my team are Saints and yours are sinners" game, yet it's pretty stupid to do that when your 'saints' are repeatedly employing players with reputations for cheap shots and otherwise dirty play on the field. You cut or released some of them after the fact so it's okay though. Oh wait, you didn't - you just voted them MVP of the team a few times.

Winning Super Bowls tends to get you MVP votes.

Ward1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom