• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the timing of this statement? Why make it?

Trying to motivate him, maybe.

Winning Super Bowls tends to get you MVP votes.

Ward1.jpg

I'm just saying I personally wouldn't vote for a guy that intentionally tries to injure my peers, that's all.

Sanjuro

Honestly I don't know. If he was brought in as a backup the signing makes a little more sense but I would have rather had a Fitzpatrick or someone else with starting experience who wasn't going to bring baggage to the Jets.

For those that say Vick is going to mentor Smith I think they are crazy. Smith is a pocket passer where as vick is a more mobile qb. The only thing they have in common is they both like to throw deep.

The dog stuff still is going to be an issues with people and I do have to say I'm not going to be jumping up and down cheering for him. The NY media is going to go nuts with it. Every jets story is going to feature a mention about dogs no matter what.

Crimes of passion and monetary lapses of stupidity I can get over but Vick was running a machine in his house. I know alot of it was his family members but I remember the excuse for him and others indited was that they "came from a culture of fighting" so it was ok, bullshit.

If they brought him in to start Idzik went full crazy after being asleep the first week of free agency.

Its either a brilliant move or one that will put the GM on the hot seat for next year.

The notion of Vick mentoring Smith is nothing more than an extension on comparing black quarterbacks to only black quarterbacks.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the timing of this statement? Why make it?

Motivation. Fairley playing hard his last year benefits the Lions. wins are obvious but if he plays well and they decide to keep him, so much the better. If they let him walk and he signs a big deal, they get a better comp pick. There's no losing.

I'm just saying I personally wouldn't vote for a guy that intentionally tries to injure my peers, that's all.

All of these guys are trying to injure each other, let's not kid ourselves. Time was the guaranteed way to win the game was to knock the QB senseless and get his backup in. Do you think that mentality just disappeared?

The notion of Vick mentoring Smith is nothing more than an extension on comparing black quarterbacks to only black quarterbacks.

I hate Vick as well but this is just nonsense. There were tons of reports last year in Philly talking about all the help that Vick provided to Foles. Vick likes being paid money by football teams and he knows that the best way to hang around at the end is to be a solid backup and help out the young QBs on the roster. He still wants to start but he even said he would help out Geno if that is the direction the Jets go in.

Tom Penny

Vick won't have time to mentor Smith when he's taking all the reps and is the starter. That's not is job. If he's not the starter than the Jets are flat out not playing their best players.

Vick won't have time to mentor Smith when he's taking all the reps and is the starter. That's not is job. If he's not the starter than the Jets are flat out not playing their best players.

:jnc

Players learn from also watching other players. If they brought Vick in to compete and be the starter, Smith is going to learn from watching him play and how he prepares himself for the game and what it takes, that's still mentoring.

Eh, how true is that really? Curtis Painter sat behind Peyton Manning for years.

It's hard to measure, I guess. I mean, can you measure if Rodgers learned anything behind Favre or Steve Young behind Montana. I mean I'm sure some of it rubs off in some way, even if it's like players thinking, "I don't agree with that, I'm gonna do it this way instead".

Sanjuro

I hate Vick as well but this is just nonsense. There were tons of reports last year in Philly talking about all the help that Vick provided to Foles. Vick likes being paid money by football teams and he knows that the best way to hang around at the end is to be a solid backup and help out the young QBs on the roster. He still wants to start but he even said he would help out Geno if that is the direction the Jets go in.

Define help? I'm sure there were general reports to the media, because that is the fluff they like to hear. Also, I don't believe I see Vick as a career backup.

Almost every NFL player since forever is going to socialize with teammates and offer assistance. Judging Vick's career, I don't see much value.

Smith: So what do I do?
Vick: RUN!

Tenumi

Banned
Trying to motivate him, maybe.

Agreed. It seems like they are telling him, what ever you do dont get hurt this year since you will be shopping yourself as a FA at the end of it. I wonder if they are trying to trade him?

Pretty much. It's felt likely, fan wise, that Fairley wasn't going to be re-signed at the end of his deal. So it's a a contract year motivator. He does well, win-win for both sides. He doesn't, no big deal.

Tom Penny

:jnc

Players learn from also watching other players. If they brought Vick in to compete and be the starter, Smith is going to learn from watching him play and how he prepares himself for the game and what it takes, that's still mentoring.

I was unaware that anytime you learn something by seeing someone else do it they were mentoring you.

Fox318

Smith needs to earn his spot during camp but he finished the year strong. Kerley was out 4 games and he was the top receiver with 43 catches.

With a decent WR/TE Draft Geno should have much better weapons to throw to.

you can lead a Curtis Painter to water, but he's still just a horse

This is my favorite post of all time.

Are you sure that isnt a picture of the Aryan Nation's private army? Those are the hitler youths of my nightmares. Fitting they'd support the Pats and Belicheat aka The Anti-Christ

Because they are white?! Damn, that's racist, bro.

Vince Wilfork taking his name tag off the locker and storming out today.

Sounds like we are reaching an agreement!

Storming out? Don't worry, Kraft said Vince is one of his favorites. Just like Welk....Wait

Colasante

The Daily News has learned that the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins and Steelers are in the hunt to land veteran running back Maurice Jones-Drew. The teams are expected to meet with the Jones-Drew camp at league meetings this week.

If the Patriots don't sign Knowshon Moreno, MJD would be a nice alternative. Hopefully he'd be more productive than Fred Taylor was here.

bionic77

Yeah, I don't think Vick is going there to be a backup.

There's a fine line between physical play and trying to injure people!
The object of the game on defense has always been to try and injure people. Lets not kid ourselves.

Ward gets shit because defensive players, especially pansy ass cornerbacks, did not like getting a taste of their own medicine.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The object of the game on defense has always been to try and injure people. Lets not kid ourselves.

Ward gets shit because defensive players, especially pansy ass cornerbacks, did not like getting a taste of their own medicine.
It's certainly about running and hitting, but in Seattle we teach the strike zone.

I guess it is for this:

Using Wikipedia as a source for the Quran? Go straight to the text.

http://quran.com/

Allahu Akbar is a Arabic War Chant used before battles, beheadings etc. It's not the same as "God Bless You." Christians don't say "God Bless You" before they execute you for not believing in the Bible. Watch the hundred and thousands of videos coming out of Syria with people getting executed.

Ever since I got banned
Thanks Gata
I stopped posting in OT (never really posted in Gaming). Just not worth it when even the smallest thing can get you banned.

Tamanon

Banned
I think I'm the only one still here that actually got banned for something in the NFL thead!

Stupid Drew Bledsoe parody site about Tony Romo.

effzee

Maybe you aren't familiar with my dialog on Vick. His on field performance was always the primary issue I've had when discussing him, the off field antics just were tagged on at a later date.

Chip could have developed him into the quarterback he needs to be at this point, but Vick wouldn't accept that. The guy has an ego and believes he is an elite quarterback, when in reality he is simply unprepared and doesn't have a great sense for the position.

I'm just amazed teams are still overvaluing him. For the Jets? It's really a perfect place. They now have a quarterback who cares as little about offense as their coach.

What in the flying fuck are you talking about?

Vick of the Falcons days didn't give a shit and it showed. With the Eagles he had to rededicate his whole life around football and because even he admitted to not putting in the work while with the Falcons. He has been a model citizen on and off the field with the Eagles and if not for his injuries would still be the starting QB.

What exactly didn't Vick accept from Chip? Vick wasn't guaranteed a starting job. He won it over the pre season by playing really well. Throughout the season Chip credited Vick with leading the team even when he was benched in favor of Foles. Oh and he wasn't pulled because he wouldn't or couldn't learn Chip's system...he was pulled because of his hamstring injury and because how well Foles started to play.

He wasn't pulled because he didn't buy into Chip or perform well. He is an average QB and I don't expect him to stay healthy or lead a franchise now to the playoffs or SB but he is a capable QB especially as a veteran back up. If he could have stayed healthy I think he would have led the Eagles to the playoffs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom