• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Raiders signed Howard Austin to be a guard. Lmao

Cheap Depth.

time.gif

cdyhybrid

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27s
Obviously RT @NFLCharean: Gov. Perry and Pres. Bush 44 are among those expected at Manziel's pro day. Biggest pro day ever at A&M.

Bread

Banned
twitch is pretty awesome on the xbox one, very helpful for me to see all the games before i buy one.

pvz didn't look that great, mech :/

Interesting bit on Andre Ellington by primary Cards beat writer:

About five weeks into the season last year, Carson Palmer approached coach Bruce Arians to talk about rookie running back Andre Ellington.

“Let’s make him a wideout,” Palmer said.

“No,” Arians responded. “We can use him as a wideout as a running back.”

Arians recounted the conversation Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings. Ellington’s receiving skills are not only well-known but have been discussed quite a bit, by Arians, Palmer and Ellington. “We are going to have a lot of fun this spring because his skill set is so unique,” Arians said. Once again, Arians talked about the Ellington workload and the fine line between riding the running back and not subjecting him to too much punishment.

“He is still not a guy who you will pound up the middle 30 times a game and survive,” Arians said. “He can run the football 30 times a game if you do it correctly, but you’d rather have him have 10 catches and 20 carries and let Stepfan Taylor or (Jonathan) Dwyer have the rest of the carries pound the rest of the ball up in there.”

(Noteworthy that Arians didn’t mention Ryan Williams as a possibility? Perhaps.)

Arians said the mismatches offensive coordinators find these days with tight ends used to be the ones for running backs, naming old-school guys like Ronnie Harmon and Todd McNair. “It will be fun with Andre, see how people play him,” Arians said.

One other Ellington note: Arians said the staff has to be careful with how much of the offense is actually built around the back. “You’ve got to watch that you don’t create too much stuff and then he sprains an ankle and you don’t have any offense because you put too much in one basket,” Arians said. “You still have to have your cinch-it-up, grind-it-out football.”

twitch is pretty awesome on the xbox one, very helpful for me to see all the games before i buy one.

pvz didn't look that great, mech :/

Did you like ME3's mp or Gears of War's horde mode? If so PvZ is basically a mashup of those 2 things. I love the art style of the game, it is super colorful and the characters are really cute, but the game has a ton of depth. All DLC will be free as well.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 37s
Driving off Ritz-Carlton property after league meetings in ORL, see Jim Harbaugh teeing off in his normal game day attire. #khakiseveryday

Bread

Banned
Did you like ME3's mp or Gears of War's horde mode? If so PvZ is basically a mashup of those 2 things. I love the art style of the game, it is super colorful and the characters are really cute, but the game has a ton of depth. All DLC will be free as well.
i liked horde but not enough to get a game just for that kind of mode.

MechDX

i liked horde but not enough to get a game just for that kind of mode.
has all regular modes as well. Gardens n Graveyards is fun as well. its horde mode id also not scripted like others.

I bought it based on recommendations and it is really good. Its $40 brand new and with all the modes, upgrades and character variants its and awesome value.

Chip Kelly spoke to the media at the owners meetings today:

Believe it or not, there are other things going on with the Eagles besides the trade rumors swirling around wide receiver DeSean Jackson and his impending departure.

Although a good portion of head coach Chip Kelly's breakfast discussion with the media at the NFL Meetings on Wednesday was focused on Jackson, he touched on a number of other subjects:

Pass Rush:

"I think our pass rush got better. Our defense got better towards the end of the year. I think we need a little bit more rush. We'll continue to improve, but we are excited about where we are at as a defense."

Areas still to address:

"I want to improve every position. The only thing that has been available so far is free agency. You can't force things. I've seen teams say, 'This guy, he is the best defensive end or pass rusher out there.'"

Brandon Graham:

"He can start (at outside linebacker). Brandon gave us quality snaps last year. Everyone has the opportunity to start."

Malcolm Jenkins:

"We looked at everything. We didn't just look at one guy. We all felt that after looking at everything, Malcolm was the best fit, and he was our No. 1 guy going into (free agency). He is a former corner, his ability to cover, his football IQ."

Newly signed safety Jairus Byrd and his connection to Kelly:

"I don't know if it was that relevant. Jairus played corner for me (at Oregon). As a person, he is outstanding. When I was coaching him though, he was a cornerback and I was the offensive coordinator."

Free Agency:

"The race in free agency isn't to sign the highest-priced guy. It's to build the best team.
What you want and what is available are two different things. There was no one in free agency that we thought would be a great addition, or would add to what we have."

Multi-faceted Brandon Boykin:

"I think our two outside corners are very good. It's a matchup of getting the bigger receivers on the outside. He wants to play every snap of defense, every snap of special teams, he wants to return kickoffs. But we have to make decisions as coaches to put our players in (positions) based off of what their strengths are."

Inside Linebackers:

"You want to develop depth, so they (DeMeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks) don't have to play as many snaps. But the best player will play."

Working with front office:

"We talk every day. (General manager Howie Roseman's) office is two doors down from me. I think everyday, whether it is coaches or personnel department, we are all on the same page. The setup of our offices, we are all on the same side. There is interaction between our coaches and personnel departments all the time."

Tom Gamble:

"He's got a wealth of knowledge, been in the league a long time, trained under Bill Polian, a guy I have the utmost respect for. I am always picking his mind. He has a huge input."

Wide Receivers:

"One-on-one coverage is a big deal for us. It's a big deal in this league. We are always looking for a guy that can exploit those matchups. Anybody we are going to look at at wide receiver from the future here on is what is your ability to get open in single coverage."

Narag

for mech:

@JasonLaCanfora
Make of it what you will, but Texans owner, coach GM are meeting and dining w/Clowney night before South Carolina pro day a week from today

MechDX

Make of it what you will, but Texans owner, coach GM are meeting and dining w/Clowney night before South Carolina pro day a week from today--Lacanfora

Clownwy at 1.1, QB in the 2nd or 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom