• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anilx3

Somebody needs to wake Idzik up. He must have slept through today with the jets only signing their kicker.

Not expecting crazy moves but resigning Austin Howard would be nice.

Reports are the Jets are talking to Strief from the Saints, he would replace Howard, who is nothing special anyway.

Caldwell,_Jags.jpg

"Want me to do what now?"

Retweeted by Jayson Braddock
Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP · 9m
Considering the Saints' cap situation, Jairus Byrd will be signing a 36-year contract.

bwhahahaha

That's some Ilya Kovalchuk bull shit.

rando14

eagerly waiting for the byrd contract deals. dis gun be gud

EDIT: 6/54

blame "the game" gabbert gonna take care of business!

p.s.

there is a less than zero % chance that blame makes that $2 mil this year. just as we did with last years weird trade for colt "the boy" mccoy, we will jew him down to near league minimum

:jnc

But that $2M number is just for first round picks right? I would assume at least their first 3 picks make the 53 man roster, that would add up to around $5M for the 1st 3 picks. Curious to see how they make this work.
You're way over estimating what a third rounder makes. First, maybe second round count towards that total.

Demontre Moore was our third rounder last year (mid round pick) and he counted 585k towards the cap. Barely a blip on a 90 man roster.

EDIT: I should mention it depends on where you pick of course. You pick first overall and that number is going to be much higher.

Sanjuro

blame "the game" gabbert gonna take care of business!

p.s.

there is a less than zero % chance that blame makes that $2 mil this year. just as we did with last years weird trade for colt "the boy" mccoy, we will jew him down to near league minimum

The cost really doesn't matter. I already thought it was a good risk free move.

JABEE

Jabee, why you takin' it so hard man!?
I really thought they were going to improve the secondary this offseason and contend. It seems like a weird small step forward yet they still paid Jenkins too much. In a deep safety free agent class, the Eagles picked one of the worst solutions and overpaid him.

I keep hearing the local media spin this as a positive deal. It's just frustrating.

JABEE

That's a lot of money, but still, I wish the Eagles gave me something to be excited about next season. I was expecting the Eagles to go all in this season with Foles making $700k a year still.

Fox318

Reports are the Jets are talking to Strief from the Saints, he would replace Howard, who is nothing special anyway.

I'm sick of them playing Russian roulette with the right tackle position. They have not had a quality tackle since Woody. Howard has done a fantastic job for the jets and has been healthy.

cajunator

Banned
Just read this comment by an Eagle fan:

Man, there is going to be some disappointment.

Yeah he just cant seem to put ot togethwr. I did appreciate his hustle in that Bucs game whereehe stopped them at the 1 and they turned it over on downs. Too little too late though.

Farooq

Banned
How in the hell do you have ZERO defensive lineman? And they went to a 4-3! Or did Jerruh change that again?

The Cowboys are probably going to pick up Henry Melton in free agency, and draft a DE/DT in the first. Melton and hopefully Aaron Donald would be a good place to start building that line back up.

rando14

=( I like ET3.

Oh me too, he's probably my favorite seahawks defensive player ever, but maaaaan his paycheck is gonna hurt. He'll deserve it, too.

That's a lot of money, but still, I wish the Eagles gave me something to be excited about next season. I was expecting the Eagles to go all in this season with Foles making $700k a year still.

Jabee... please dont be sad friend :(

Something I hate to admit but the Eagles have made some smart moves thus far. They took care of their in-house affairs quickly and are being conservative to address issues on a team that won the division last year.

You sound as though the team was 4-12 last season.;)

Anilx3

You're way over estimating what a third rounder makes. First, maybe second round count towards that total.

Demontre Moore was our third rounder last year (mid round pick) and he counted 585k towards the cap. Barely a blip on a 90 man roster.

EDIT: I should mention it depends on where you pick of course. You pick first overall and that number is going to be much higher.

Yeah that's true, but I would imagine the sum total of those 3 picks would be more than the Saints have in cap space right now.

Just curious to see how they made the math work with Byrd's contract, they must have a good capologist.

ShaneB

Oh me too, he's probably my favorite seahawks defensive player ever, but maaaaan his paycheck is gonna hurt. He'll deserve it, too.

I know he'll deserve it, just hope it doesn't hinder everything else, because next year there are going to be some massive pay increases for key pieces.

Wes

venison crêpe
Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 9 mins
$28M guaranteed from the Saints for Jairus Byrd!!!!!! That's Goodell territory. Whoa.

:jnc

MechDX

& Beads RT @HubbuchNYP: The Saints are going to get around the cap by paying Jairus Byrd's $28 million bonus in Confederate notes.

Oh my

Byrd: $54M is the 37th largest NFL deal; $28M gteed is 20th most; $9M avg/yr is highest S; 2nd highest on #Saints http://t.co/WrFaIgJ9s4

Damn

Anilx3

I'm sick of them playing Russian roulette with the right tackle position. They have not had a quality tackle since Woody. Howard has done a fantastic job for the jets and has been healthy.

I'm more surprised the Jets missed out on the FA Guards, could really have used an upgrade there with Colon injured and Winters totally overmatched last year.

Trey

Flashy pickup for the Saints. Byrd came with a high price tag but New Orleans popped them bands like it wasn't nothing.

I'm glad someone gave Byrd what he wanted; it will make evaluating his contract down the line more fun.

i feel sorry for gabbert. checking out webzone to follow the days news and he's just getting clowned on from every direction. i don't know HOW "sorry" i will ever feel for a millionaire top 10 pick like gabbert but it just has to suck to be gabbert or sanchez or other guys.

i wish they would do some type of reverse espn "michael jordan!?" commercial. you know the one where its like a limo driver picking up michael jordan but its just this old fat white guy and the limo driver is so disappointed. they could do a limo guy picking up blaine gabbert but it's not the NFL blaine gabbert and the limo driver is like fuck yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom