• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with those cuts, the Saints only had about $2M in cap space, according to http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Saints&Year=2014.

Not sure how they are pulling this off

Sproles is getting traded which is 3.5 million off the books. Pierre Thomas could still be cut which is another 2.5. If they structured the contract so Byrd's hit in 2014 is fairly low it's completely doable.

Worth repeating: Wait until you get actual contract details/breakdowns. Until then, they're just flashing big meaningless numbers up on the twitter-sphere.

Speaking of which, Verner deal works out to about 6 million/yr. That's....pretty damned reasonable.

You guys need some defensive players too. You just lost your safety and the CB situation still isn't so hot

Whoever we get at safety will be an improvement over Delmas IMO. CB is tough....we've stacked a collection of young guys, most of whom looked completely lost last season; Slay and Bently rarely even look to see where the ball is going. Hopefully the coaching upgrade will benefit them. With respect to the draft...is it worth it to use a top 10 pick on a corner unless he's a sure thing? I don't see a Patrick Peterson type dude in this draft. If we draft Justin Gilbert is that really going to help us this year?

The Lions have a 2-3 year window IMO. If we can't do anything during Megatron's prime then we're fucked. Basically if Caldwell can't fix Stafford it's game over.

rando14

Sproles is getting traded which is 3.5 million off the books. Pierre Thomas could still be cut which is another 2.5. If they structured the contract so Byrd's hit in 2014 is fairly low it's completely doable.

Worth repeating: Wait until you get actual contract details/breakdowns. Until then, they're just flashing big meaningless numbers up on the twitter-sphere.

Speaking of which, Verner deal works out to about 6 million/yr. That's....pretty damned reasonable.

More than reasonable, that's a great deal (obviously assuming he stays healthy). Like Colasante said above, Sam Shields is making 4/39...

MechDX

Whoever we get at safety will be an improvement over Delmas IMO. CB is tough....we've stacked a collection of young guys, most of whom looked completely lost last season; Slay and Bently rarely even look to see where the ball is going. Hopefully the coaching upgrade will benefit them. With respect to the draft...is it worth it to use a top 10 pick on a corner unless he's a sure thing? I don't see a Patrick Peterson type dude in this draft. If we draft Justin Gilbert is that really going to help us this year?

The Lions have a 2-3 year window IMO. If we can't do anything during Megatron's prime then we're fucked. Basically if Caldwell can't fix Stafford it's game over.

Caldwell,_Jags.jpg

"Want me to do what now?"

Retweeted by Jayson Braddock
Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP · 9m
Considering the Saints' cap situation, Jairus Byrd will be signing a 36-year contract.

bwhahahaha

Anilx3

That does help some, but they would still need to allocate about $5M for draft picks, plus any other holes on the roster. Depends on the contract, but it seems like a really tight fit.

rando14

That does help some, but they would still need to allocate about $5M for draft picks, plus any other holes on the roster. Depends on the contract, but it seems like a really tight fit.

Dont remember brees' contract off the top of my head, any chance he restructures?

I laughed. Sorry.

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN 26m
Probably lose a lot. RT @BeevLeeJay: @DanGrazianoESPN cowboys have 0 d-linemen.. What are they gona do
:jnc

KingGondo

Banned

Gilbert is worth it at #10 IMO. He has obvious physical gifts that are hard to replicate.

He really worked hard last year and the results were tremendous both at CB and on special teams.

Last I looked a the league numbers, draft picks run about 2.2-2.6 million. Remember only the top 46-53 contracts count at the start of the league year and as you move into training camp. All 90 players you bring into camp don't count.

Gerhart contract:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 2m
Three years, $10.5 million with $4.5 million in guarantees for Toby Gerhart from the Jags. Gets his chance to step out of Peterson's shadow.

bender

What time is it?
I laughed. Sorry.

No reason to be. I'd be happy to not face him twice a year anymore as well.

How in the hell do you have ZERO defensive lineman? And they went to a 4-3! Or did Jerruh change that again?

Ware is cut to save 7 million, Spencer was franchised twice so he's now a free agent, Hatcher is a free agent. We still have Selvie, Hayden and Crawford. We are going for back to back "worst defense in the league" titles.

How in the hell do you have ZERO defensive lineman? And they went to a 4-3! Or did Jerruh change that again?

Maranelli is the defensive coordinator now so yeah, still a 4-3. Monte Kiffin may or may not still have a pulse. They're checking (may cut him if he doesn't and save some cap space).

Fox318

Somebody needs to wake Idzik up. He must have slept through today with the jets only signing their kicker.

Not expecting crazy moves but resigning Austin Howard would be nice.

Just read this comment by an Eagle fan:

Nice signing. LOL. Eagles had plenty of money to sign him but there was a reason his own college coach didn't take him. We got the same player in your ex guy Jenkins but for a lot less money and years.

Man, there is going to be some disappointment.

Anilx3

Dont remember brees' contract off the top of my head, any chance he restructures?

Yeah, this is my guess, maybe him and some of the Guards restructure, guess the Saints know their window with Brees is right now for just a few more years.

Last I looked a the league numbers, draft picks run about 2.2-2.6 million. Remember only the top 46-53 contracts count at the start of the league year and as you move into training camp. All 90 players you bring into camp don't count.

But that $2M number is just for first round picks right? I would assume at least their first 3 picks make the 53 man roster, that would add up to around $5M for the 1st 3 picks. Curious to see how they make this work.

FMT already placed his order for his new gabbert jersey!!

blame "the game" gabbert gonna take care of business!

p.s.

there is a less than zero % chance that blame makes that $2 mil this year. just as we did with last years weird trade for colt "the boy" mccoy, we will jew him down to near league minimum

MechDX

Garry apple ‏@nflnbainsider · 1h
#jets showing "mild" interest in Demarcus Ware #eagles #giants also interested #NFLFreeAgency

Ware to the Giants would be awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom