• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Eagles need to focus on Bryd before they think about Revis. They already have 2 serviceable corners, but no safeties.

What about this scenario: they sign Revis, then sign Mike Mitchell and draft Pryor or Clinton-Dix. All of a sudden your secondary goes from a weakness to a major strength.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think cutting Smith is more than just money. Rivera and Gettlemen are doing what Ozzie and Worstbaugh did with Ed Reed last year. Their team and locker room, and Smith isn't worth the headaches any more
He's also really fucking old for a wideout.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah the fans do love him because he's from Cleveland but also that he actually looked credible in the few games he played.

Only reason I don't want Schaub is because I'm not sure I can take Mech's trolling all off season.
He looked decent for 2 1/4 games. He still threw three picks against the Vikings, and only put up 17 the next week against the Bengals at home before getting hurt against the Bills.

He's certainly better than Weeden and Campbell, but that's as far as I'm willing to go at this point. Schaub has a much better and longer track record.

MechDX

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46447/309/2014-free-agency-forecast

Evan Silva predicts top 50 free agents landing spots. Says Texans get Brandon SPikes on a two year deal. Two funny ones:

45. Tight end Jermichael Finley -- Would be much higher on this list if not for November spinal fusion surgery. Per agent, Finley is "99.9%" certain he'll be cleared to play football in 2014. 27 in March. Elite tools but drop and error prone. Will be a boom-or-bust signing in free agency.

Free Agent Forecast: Patriots on one-year, $3.5 million deal.

HOFinley.

36. Defensive lineman Antonio Smith -- Can play 3-4 end and 4-3 tackle. At least five sacks in three straight years. Hasn't missed a game for health reasons since '05. Entering age-33 season.

Free Agent Forecast: Eagles on three-year, $12 million deal.

Got dammit! Eagles farm team still in effect!

MechDX

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 56m
#Texans might've had interest in Dexter McCluster as @LanceZierlein said, but I'm told he won't be coming. Sorry to crush your hopes, dreams

....sigh....

Giants are resigning Peyton Hillis to a two year, low money deal. Ice wagon did some good blocking for us last year and while he was slow as shit, he's good back-up material.

The Giants also completed their extension of Trumaine McBride. It's a two year, 3.1 million dollar deal. Nice value for a guy that played his butt off last season. I'd like to see him primarily as depth but a good low key signing.

A few updates:

Ravens:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 35m

Report: Ravens "should" have deal with Eugene Monroe before 4 p.m.

Colts:

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 1h

Sources predict Arthur Jones will sign with the Indianapolis Colts as soon as today. Expected between $6 million and $7 million per year

Geoff Schwartz is leaving KC as confirmed by various sources. Where? Unknown yet but..

Conor Orr @ConorTOrr · 5m

The #Giants are one of three teams right now in the mix for Geoff Schwartz, I'm told.

Ed Valentine @bigblueview · 2m

RT @ConorTOrr: The #Giants are one of three teams right now in the mix for Geoff Schwartz, I'm told. >> A center and Schwartz maybe. Wow!

God that would be great.

squicken

Alber--Phins
Veldheer--AZ
Monroe--Ravens
Collins--TB
Saffold--Raiders

TB seems to be the favorite for Michael Johnson

e: Saw something that Schwartz was following some Giants people on Twitter

eznark

Banned
Suck it. He's coming down to Browns Town.

220px-Daniel_Snyder.jpg

Fox318

Patriots are signing everyone according to the media. I guess they are all gonna take a huge discount to play with Greg Schanio lover Bill Belicheat and Broncos Hall of Fame Coach Josh McDaniels. I mean look at what Old Cheaty did to revitalize Ochocino and Albert Haynesworth and Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs and Monty Beisel and Tim Tebow and ....

Packers fans, what are your thoughts on Evan Dietrich-Smith? He's being tied heavily to the Giants right now and am curious to get some opinions on his play?

Patriots are signing everyone according to the media. I guess they are all gonna take a huge discount to play with Greg Schanio lover Bill Belicheat and Broncos Hall of Fame Coach Josh McDaniels. I mean look at what Old Cheaty did to revitalize Ochocino and Albert Haynesworth and Adalius Thomas and Shawn Springs and Monty Beisel and Tim Tebow and ....
Dat jealousy

MechDX

Fuck you and fuck Pancakes squicken!!!

If they keep Schaub Im done. Seriously I am gone quicker than Bionic making a racial joke

Sanjuro

This doesn't make any sense. Sounds like you're upset that this isn't another Favre signing season.

eznark

Banned
Packers fans, what are your thoughts on Evan Dietrich-Smith? He's being tied heavily to the Giants right now and am curious to get some opinions on his play?

He is totally fine as a center. Not a great guard. I'll be worried if the Packers lose him. Who the fuck will play center?

I've heard from reliable sources that the Pats are planning on resigning Talib and Edelman along with signing Revis, Nicks, and Britt. They also plan on trading up to draft Clowney and then trading up again to draft Manziel.

squicken

Fuck you and fuck Pancakes squicken!!!

If they keep Schaub Im done. Seriously I am gone quicker than Bionic making a racial joke

Every fan for every team should :squicken if his team signs Schoob. That reaction from Banderas is b/c he invented an Alta Vista search matrix for the future and saw someone played Schoob in 2014

MechDX

Every fan for every team should :squicken if his team signs Schoob. That reaction from Banderas is b/c he invented an Alta Vista search matrix for the future and saw someone played Schoob in 2014

Seriously McClain is NEVER this correct. I saw speculation at BRB that the Texans FO is using him as a mouth piece for misdirection. If there is a demand for Schaub if cut why not get it out there that he will renegotiate his contract. Get someone interested

I think cutting Smith is more than just money. Rivera and Gettlemen are doing what Ozzie and Worstbaugh did with Ed Reed last year. Their team and locker room, and Smith isn't worth the headaches any more

That seems nuts since he is the only NFL WR they have on the team. They are really setting Cam up to fail. Expectations are going to be crazy high with the fans after going to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. If the team struggles, and Cam puts up terrible numbers throwing to trash the fans/media are going to blame him.

Sanjuro

Let's be real, Schaub isn't that bad. I mean...if you could retroactively go back and get a decent quarterback when the team had a shot at winning, then you have an argument.

Right now he is probably better than nothing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Also talk about trying to snag Emmanuel Sanders.

He's looked decent but I remember Steelers fans here shitting on him.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That seems nuts since he is the only NFL WR they have on the team. They are really setting Cam up to fail. Expectations are going to be crazy high with the fans after going to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. If the team struggles, and Cam puts up terrible numbers throwing to trash the fans/media are going to blame him.
Spend all draft picks on WRs. Problem solved!

Let's be real, Schaub isn't that bad. I mean...if you could retroactively go back and get a decent quarterback when the team had a shot at winning, then you have an argument.

Right now he is probably better than nothing.
This argument might be somewhat valid if last season didn't exist. He killed that team in so many games. It's not just a physical issue, dude has zero confidence at this point. He is shot.

Bucs update:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora · 6m

When the Michael Johnson signing with the Bucs becomes official, I hear the deal will average $8.5M/year with around $24M guaranteed

Update on the Hillis contract:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 1m

Peyton Hillis' two-year deal is worth $1.8 million, according to a source (as @ConorTOrr noted four minutes ago) #NYG

squicken

No way. The Panthers oddly have a ton of media members as fans, and it's basically "oh poor Cam, he has no weapons". He'll take none of the heat from fans, either. This all goes to Hurney and then Rivera and Gettleman will be judged on how they fix it. But Cam is bullet proof with CAR fans and media

Wes

venison crêpe
Perry Riley back with Washington. Kinda was interested him at the Browns. Then again I was interested in any ILB.

Sanjuro

This argument might be somewhat valid if last season didn't exist. He killed that team in so many games. It's not just a physical issue, dude has zero confidence at this point. He is shot.

...last season confirms my argument. The Texans aren't 2-14 solely because of Schaub.

ShaneB

So much news today, this thread will be flying! I hope it's a good day for your team of choice and we all get a little happier and hopeful!

What about this scenario: they sign Revis, then sign Mike Mitchell and draft Pryor or Clinton-Dix. All of a sudden your secondary goes from a weakness to a major strength.

I would be fine with that, but how can you be sure you will get one of those guys? You are trusting a lot to how the draft plays out.

Spend all draft picks on WRs. Problem solved!

:jnc, I guess if you take enough some are sure to work out.

squicken

Yep. Wessling nailed that one

Seriously McClain is NEVER this correct. I saw speculation at BRB that the Texans FO is using him as a mouth piece for misdirection. If there is a demand for Schaub if cut why not get it out there that he will renegotiate his contract. Get someone interested

He did call Cassell and has been shooting down the Mallett stuff since it started. And he just made the suggestion on Schoob, not that it would happen. And I think he may indeed be getting fed info on the goings on from the team. The big one will obviously be how he is so certain they draft a QB first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom