• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way. The Panthers oddly have a ton of media members as fans, and it's basically "oh poor Cam, he has no weapons". He'll take none of the heat from fans, either. This all goes to Hurney and then Rivera and Gettleman will be judged on how they fix it. But Cam is bullet proof with CAR fans and media

I guess I dont follow Carolina much but man if that happened in Philly the QB would get killed. When you are the first pick in the draft people usually expect miracles.

So much news today, this thread will be flying! I hope it's a good day for your team of choice and we all get a little happier and hopeful!

I to hope all non-Pats fans have good days today.

Sanjuro

No he was 80% of the problem. Wade Philips being blind was 15% and Derek Newton/Brice McCain was the other 5%

That doesn't happen. 80%? :jnc Especially not when you have Keenum looking like the return of Tebow at the professional level.

Wade Philips maintaing employment is baffling to this day.

MechDX

That doesn't happen. 80%? :jnc Especially not when you have Keenum looking like the return of Tebow at the professional level.

Wade Philips maintaing employment is baffling to this day.

Keenums time wasn't all him. Played good then Kubiak tried to shoehorn him into a pocket passer after a couple games. Fucked his mind up by repeatedly putting Schaub back in. Case is not an NFL starting QB but Kubiak didn't help.

Wade is still salty.

gutshot

I would be fine with that, but how can you be sure you will get one of those guys? You are trusting a lot to how the draft plays out.

It looks like at least one of those safeties will be available at 22. Maybe both. In any case, it was just a hypothetical scenario showing that they could sign Revis and still address the safety position.

MechDX

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein · 4m
If Texans management and ownership can’t see how decisive Schaub is to the fan base by now, I don’t know if they have paid attention at all

Lance has never been more right.

It looks like at least one of those safeties will be available at 22. Maybe both. In any case, it was just a hypothetical scenario showing that they could sign Revis and still address the safety position.

The question is still are the better off with Bryd at safety and the CBs, or adding Revis at CB and getting lesser safeties? I like Revis but he wasnt close to the same last year, part of which is the system and part is recovering from the knee injury. Revis is older and a huge primadonna. I think if it was up to me, I would still sign Bryd and see what else I could do to upgrade the DBs.

Redskins and Andre Roberts are apparently close to a deal if not already done.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora · 3m

Andre Roberts's deal with Skins will end up 4yrs around $16M, with half of that guaranteed. Very nice haul for him

eznark

Banned
Packers have $34m in cap room before the Sheilds contract, so about $28m if Silverstein was correct.

Invest in BitCoins Ted!

@TonyPauline

I'm told wide out James Jones receiving heavy interest from the Detroit Lions & New York Jets...Green Bay Packers may still be in the mix..

that's about all we can afford. Sanders and Nicks seem like pipe dreams at this point.

MechDX

Do you really want the FO making moves based off of how the fans will react? I wouldnt bring Schaub back, but that is because he sucks, and not because fans will be upset if he comes back.

You weren't here last season and saw exactly how bad it was.

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein · 6m
@ChronBrianSmith I would also say that there were players on roster who thought that everything surrounding Schaub last yr was a distraction

And then there is also this.

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein · 8m
@ChronBrianSmith I don’t think he should care what fans think either. I do think he should care about having mentally shot QB on the roster

And this

eznark

Banned
Jones would be a nice signing for Detroit. He doesn't run the best routes but he goes for the ball and his ability to get to it will make up for Fatford's gross inaccuracy.

The lesson with Schaub is don't draft a UVA QB. I mean come on, people.

2001_Matt_Schaub_white_jersey_resized.jpg

Packers have $34m in cap room before the Sheilds contract, so about $28m if Silverstein was correct.

Invest in BitCoins Ted!

I read that cult of bitcoin article the other day, I hadnt really been following it to much, but damn that shit sounds crazy.

rando14

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson
More specifics: Sources: DE Michael Johnson has agreed to a 5-year, $43.75M deal with 24M guaranteed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Fox318

So it seems the Pats offered Edelman a deal

Amazing how the media is reporting that the Patriots are resiging everyone.

I wonder if there will be enough players left to fill in 53 spots for the rest of the teams when the patriots have a roster size of 1543 players worth $4 million in cap.

Also talk about trying to snag Emmanuel Sanders.

He's looked decent but I remember Steelers fans here shitting on him.
He would be the second best receiver the Browns have.

Guy is solid. He'll get you catches and yards. Does everything well, nothing spectacular. Don't expect clutch catches from him.

eznark

Banned

I wonder if there will be enough players left to fill in 53 spots for the rest of the teams when the patriots have a roster size of 1543 players worth $4 million in cap.

Patriots are getting the Elway treatment. Brady's career is winding down so the league is letting the Pats ignore the cap.

Tom Penny

Have the Jets signed franchise QB Vick yet?

Pack/Cards update:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo · 7m

A team that will be in play on Packers DL/LB Mike Neal: the Cardinals. Neal is expected to hit the market today.

Bengals update:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo · 7m

A team that will be in play on Packers DL/LB Mike Neal: the Cardinals. Neal is expected to hit the market today.

Giants update (Schwartz):

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo · 24m

May the @geoffschwartz be with you. (Maybe. Sit tight.) RT @InReeseWeTrust: Perfect timing for Giants to be in need of an OG!

Looks like Schwartz is close!

Fox318

Patriots should look to resign top Tom Brady weapon Wes Welker. They would never let such a key player get away from them.

Draxal

Geoff Schwartz is leaving KC as confirmed by various sources. Where? Unknown yet but..

God that would be great.

I actually wouldn't want that, the need for a free agent cb is higher than a fa lineman, and I'd rather go oline heavy in the draft and grab Sua Fil'o (probably won't be there) or Yankey in the second round.

Giants probably would need two cbs(one starter, one reserve) and two lineman out of free agency and the draft, and I'm hesitant to rely on a rookie starter at cb, compared to the oline.

Fox318

The Browns almost hired Josh McDanials and Greg Schiano because of Bill Beilcheat.

Bill is either the worst judge of competence or he is trying to corrupt the league with shit coaches.

Wes

venison crêpe
@ NateUlrichABJ
Despite the rumblings on Twitter, a league source said WR Dexter McCluster "is not going to Cleveland."

Well it was a nice idea whilst it lasted.

Giants probably would need two cbs(one starter, one reserve) and two lineman out of free agency and the draft, and I'm hesitant to rely on a rookie starter at cb, compared to the oline.
They just resigned McBride who's a pretty good reserve. Grabbing an OL FA doesn't preclude grabbing a CB in FA if necessary. They just won't break the bank on Verner and its obvious the CB market is through the roof right now after the Shields deal and whatever Revis/Verner do end up pulling.

I'm more than happy if we walk away with a starting center/guard out of FA. More flexibility in the draft, IMO. It won't stop us from grabbing even more line depth but doesn't force us into those picks to address the most obvious need. Corners and linebackers are great but its all useless if Eli is on his back every snap.

It's okay Deacon, you can say it. More complete WR than Wallace and also a much better value.

You sure you don't mind?

Honestly it's an either or with those guys. Wallace is a one trick pony, but his one trick is amazing. Sanders is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Dolphins to look at grabbing him. They need a possession guy to draw people underneath. They would be dangerous with Hartline, Wallace and Sanders.

Wes

venison crêpe
@RapSheet 14m
Interesting subplot: While #Ravens wait for LT Eugene Monroe to take their deal, they plot a backup plan. It’s making a play for Alex Mack.

Swines are going to make us overpay aren't they.

You sure you don't mind?

Honestly it's an either or with those guys. Wallace is a one trick pony, but his one trick is amazing. Sanders is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Dolphins to look at grabbing him. They need a possession guy to draw people underneath. They would be dangerous with Hartline, Wallace and Sanders.
Gibson was filling that role well until his knee got blown up. I'm not sure what the deal is with him right now. Sanders would be a nice addition for sure though, although I'd really like to see them go after a big bodied guy in the draft. The problem is you aren't going to get the next A.J. Green in the second or third round which is probably the earliest they could consider going after a WR. WR is too much of a known commodity it seems.

Wes

venison crêpe
Agbonlahor would be prettty good at WR if someone gave him super glued gloves. Probably runs a 4.3/4.4 in his pomp.

Weeden could be our Lion mascot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom