• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

They just resigned McBride who's a pretty good reserve. Grabbing an OL FA doesn't preclude grabbing a CB in FA if necessary. They just won't break the bank on Verner and its obvious the CB market is through the roof right now after the Shields deal and whatever Revis/Verner do end up pulling.

I'm more than happy if we walk away with a starting center/guard out of FA. More flexibility in the draft, IMO. It won't stop us from grabbing even more line depth but doesn't force us into those picks to address the most obvious need. Corners and linebackers are great but its all useless if Eli is on his back every snap.

Yeah, I'm warming up to the idea of drafting a cb in the first round now, it's just I thought the depth in this years draft screams draft a lineman. I just think Sua'Fila is going to be my annual guard I lust after like I've done for the past few years (Zeitler/Warmack). What can I say I miss Snee in his prime.

squicken

Michael Silver @MikeSilver
Right now a battle is shaping up between the Giants and Rams for Geoff Schwartz's (non-bargain) services. Will someone else get in?

No more fucking free agents. Draft offensive linemen and have the same core for 5 years

Jarnet87

Dunno why the Bucs cut Davin Joseph over Carl Nicks or Donald Penn. At least Joseph has performed.

Interested to see the moves we make. I thought Jared Allen would be a great fit for us at defensive end but were rumored to be going after Michael Johnson from Cincinnati. Also reports that Revis is on the trading block. Nothing like giving away a first rounder for a player only to get rid of them a year later.

squicken

You would be okay with potentially 3 rookie OL as starters next year? All the OL taken early in the draft last year struggled big time.

The ideal situation doesn't exist b/c the Rams never properly planned long term for the offensive line. Long, Wells and Barksdale can start the year, but hopefully by midseason the rookies will be ready to play when Long and Wells inevitably get hurt. Depends if Robinson starts as a guard or RT. Mathews can play all over the line, so that could make him more valuable to them

Bye OD! 4.5 million in cap space

WELCOME_TO_BOSTON_2.41100223_std.jpg

rando14

Dunno why the Bucs cut Davin Joseph over Carl Nicks or Donald Penn. At least Joseph has performed.

Interested to see the moves we make. I thought Jared Allen would be a great fit for us at defensive end but were rumored to be going after Michael Johnson from Cincinnati. Also reports that Revis is on the trading block. Nothing like giving away a first rounder for a player only to get rid of them a year later.

Deal with Johnson is agreed apparently. 5/44

squicken

They're expensive as fuck to keep, basically have to draft at this point.

It's nuts. So many teams have awful OL situations. I think a lot of presumed early second/late first linemen will be getting drafted high. I kind of want Robinson/Martin at 2/13 but wonder if Martin will still be there

Wes

venison crêpe
@ESPNNFL
DEVELOPING: DeMarcus Ware has requested the Cowboys decide his future before start of free agency today at 4 ET.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
He is totally fine as a center. Not a great guard. I'll be worried if the Packers lose him. Who the fuck will play center?

It's a little weird that the Packers don't seem to value a good center a whole lot. At least a consistent one who will play season after season. Sometimes I forget that Jeff Saturday was a thing.

MechDX

I could see OD in Green Bay or Baltimore.

Ravens because of Kubiak

Packers rumored to be interested in Graham. Don't think Texans cut OD if Graham wasn't likely to resign. Packers give him one year "prove it" deal and OD gets to go home. Daniels is also emergency QB and you don't know when that chip on Rodgers shoulder will dislocate it,

Nightz

I always get excited about today even though the Chargers never make any huge free agent signings. Not much cap room this year so I hope to see some good value signings, like King Dunlap and Danny Woodhead from last year.

ShaneB

Offseason is fun brother!! Just wait until draft day!!

Ehhh... the draft is fun, but free agency is always more focused on the NOW. So the chaos is fun. Teams getting players who are looking to make a difference, key pieces moving all over the place etc etc. Draft is about the future, wondering how picks will pan out over their careers.

eznark

Banned
It's a little weird that the Packers don't seem to value a good center a whole lot. At least a consistent one who will play season after season. Sometimes I forget that Jeff Saturday was a thing.

EDS is going to get overpaid because of the market for centers. He is basically it. Ted is sometimes willing to overpay guys, but he is never willing to overpay linemen.

MechDX

EDS is going to get overpaid because of the market for centers. He is basically it. Ted is sometimes willing to overpay guys, but he is never willing to overpay linemen.

Talk that Chris Myers may be released. Packers tried to get him as a FA a couple years ago.

JCizzle

No more Carlos, no more Donte! Pretty pumped until I realize that they'll probably manage to replace them with worse players somehow!

Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan · 22m

Hearing #Giants want interior of offensive line to be (right to left) Chris Snee, Kevin Boothe, Geoff Schwartz.

Seriously? You're going to trot out Snee as a starter? Please tell me that's a joke.

Draxal

Seriously? You're going to trot out Snee as a starter? Please tell me that's a joke.

He's from Boston College and Coughlin's son in law, you know he isn't starting unless says doesn't want to. I'm more upset about the Boothe at center thing. As long as they draft a good guard or get a strong fa center, I'd be okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom