• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good signing, imo. Cheaper than Champ, better than DRC. Clear upgrade. Pats might not have overpayed, but their team just lost a big piece of what made their defense serviceable last year.

Now stop making moves John, so I don't feel obligation to post. And yes the SB taught us that Peyton wasn't enough. Now I'm really out until the draft, unless Brady signs with us and we run a dual QB threat.

Pey Pey and Brady going to have a dick measuring contest every single day, for every single moment if that happens.

Good signing, imo. Cheaper than Champ, better than DRC. Clear upgrade. Pats might not have overpayed, but their team just lost a big piece of what made their defense serviceable last year.

Now stop making moves John, so I don't feel obligation to post. And yes the SB taught us that Peyton wasn't enough. Now I'm really out until the draft, unless Brady signs with us and we run a dual QB threat.

No you're not, you're lurking like crazy. Just post! That Super Bowl whooping was months ago,

So the pats are probably getting revis... if the Broncos don't land Ware and the pats somehow pry him away, who wins that? Also if the pats get revis how the hell do we get some receivers? How much is Revis' cap number?

T.O is still trying to get back in the league

100 K contract, do it Kraft

squicken

Say one thing about Reggie, he has balls and isn't acting like someone who is concerned about his job security. I think he's here for the long haul and will at least get his 5 years.

I agree with this. Signed Howard. Saffold is a good locker room guy. The Rams moved him around and it pissed him off. But he kept his mouth shut. And I'll say it again, if he's healthy, he's better than most of the OTs that signed today. Raiders are getting the Jets/Browns treatment of people dumping them

They fixed the OL. That's a good start.

Raiders signed AUSTIN HOWARD.. fuck yeah!

The heat is going to be on Reggie to fire Allen if/when the Raiders are one of the worst teams in the NFL again. Don't think Mark Davis is high on Allen, could get interesting

Yeah I think Allen needs to win 6 or 7 games this year. Who knows, 5 might be enough. The thing about Davis is he doesn't know football and listens to Madden and Wolf. He has a huge hard-on for Gruden and thinks he's god tho, so if Chucky ever wants to come back, I think Davis will give him total control.

I agree with this. Signed Howard. Saffold is a good locker room guy. The Rams moved him around and it pissed him off. But he kept his mouth shut. And I'll say it again, if he's healthy, he's better than most of the OTs that signed today. Raiders are getting the Jets/Browns treatment of people dumping them

Agreed.

Independent of PFF, watching him play for the past three seasons for a division rival has been enough. He's not a difference maker.

Doubted he was - Steelers usually only get solid role players in free agency. I'd be fine if he was Ryan Clark 2.0 and it sounds like he is.

What you're hearing is, "He seemed to be good in 2013 with a beastly front 7 wrecking havok on offensive lines."

That's my worry - 1 year wonder who took advantage of the guys in front of him but was exposed when play comes to him.

Talon

Doubted he was - Steelers usually only get solid role players in free agency. I'd be fine if he was Ryan Clark 2.0 and it sounds like he is.
I was talking about Jenkins, not Mitchell. Although I supposed I'd say the same about Mitchell. He appears to be a plus run defender (based off the one season I saw him play a decent amount), which every team can use if they have the luxury of either good corners or another stud safety.

Broncos need to justify this signing by getting Ware.. (Ware + Talib) > Revis.

Who am I kidding? Is Talib even alot better than DRC..No

Revis any team besides the Pats.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Broncos need to justify this signing by getting Ware.. (Ware + Talib) > Revis.

Who am I kidding? Is Talib even alot better than DRC..No

Revis any team besides the Pats.

I'm just not sold on Talib outside of a handful of runs in his career, he's been mediocre. I never believed signing him more than 2 or 3 years was a good idea for the pats, and certainly not paying him top money, especially with just how bad his hip is.

MRSA

Banned
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 3m
Raiders have an agreement in place with RT Austin Howard (who is making a visit to Oakland), per source. Jets will lose him #nyj

So the line is gonna look like:

Watson, Bergstrom, Wiz, Saffold, Howard.

Brisel is gonna get cut as he can't play LG.

I was talking about Jenkins, not Mitchell. Although I supposed I'd say the same about Mitchell. He appears to be a plus run defender (based off the one season I saw him play a decent amount), which every team can use if they have the luxury of either good corners or another stud safety.

Steelers need a coverage guy. They already have good run defenders in Troy and Sharknado.

Word is Steelers are high on Mitchell due to his proclivity for picks, but gain, recent.

Fox318

Raiders have an agreement in place with RT Austin Howard (who is making a visit to Oakland), per source. Jets will lose him #nyj

If Revis goes to the pats there will be a shark hunt with the ny media on idzik for doing nothing.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 42s
Raiders reached agreement with former Jets OT Austin Howard on a five-year, $30 million deal, including $15M gtd, per source.

Welp, that's more than Veldheer was offered...

cajunator

Banned
Independent of PFF, watching him play for the past three seasons for a division rival has been enough. He's not a difference maker.

True.

Opinions on this guy are all over the map. Some people say he's good in coverage and poor against the run.

I watched him play every game. Hes really not very outstanding. Has trouble holding onto the ball if he gets in front which is why he has few ints. Hes serviceable but I think the Eagles needed more.

Talon

Steelers need a coverage guy. They already have good run defenders in Troy and Sharknado.

Word is Steelers are high on Mitchell due to his proclivity for picks, but gain, recent.
Yeah, to be fair to Pittsburgh, who else is there at safety? Clemons doesn't answer that bell either.

MRSA

Banned
WHAT THE FLYING FUCK

5 YEARS FOR 30 MILLION?!

Oh my god, fuck you Reggie.

EDIT: Why the hell did Reggie not want Veldheer back? I honestly want to know.

Talon

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK

5 YEARS FOR 30 MILLION?!

Oh my god, fuck you Reggie.

EDIT: Why the hell did Reggie not want Veldheer back? I honestly want to know.
Whenever teams don't retain their own FAs for reasons outside of performance or even money, I'm always curious...

Possible we might see - Saffold, Watson, Wiz, Brisiel/McCants, Howard

Few different combinations to try.

Pretty big contract for Howard, but I like the signing.

MRSA

Banned
That's solid. Saffold is an injury risk but can play 4 positions on the OL. Whoever the QB is, there's a potentially good run game to rely on there

The right side is monstrous. The left is all question marks. Still why the hell did the Raiders not want to retain Veldheer? Other than Reggie basically clearing out Al's picks. Watson somehow had a mysterious calf injury that prevented him from playing worth a damn. Not to mention he's already a fuckin olds.

We need to extend Wiz's contract now and front load some of that money, but he being an Al Davis pick will probably be let go.

squicken

Whenever teams don't retain their own FAs for reasons outside of performance or even money, I'm always curious...

Chase Stuart said he turned down the same deal from the Jets, so that actually makes the Jets look bad

Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase
The Jets reportedly offered Austin Howard a 5-year, 30M deal. Don't know what the guaranteed $ was from Jets but that's what he got from OAK

It certainly does seem ... odd if Howard rejected the Jets deal only to accept the same deal from Oakland. Not a good look for Jets.

remnant

Banned

No they didn't. Saffold at best is average compared to Veldheer and is getting a sweetheart deal. While the OL is fixed, I guess if fixed means it fucking exists, it doesn't explain letting jenning and Houston go. Or not even trying to get Bennet.

Now RB, a position heading into this season should be stable is weaker and our DL as of right now, the worst in the league, as we let go of one of the better DE of this free agency.

McKenzie fucked up royally. The Raiders should have been making moves today, not letting their best O-line, best defensive and better RB go.

Raiders are getting the shit they deserve today

squicken

The right side is monstrous. The left is all question marks. Still why the hell did the Raiders not want to retain Veldheer? Other than Reggie basically clearing out Al's picks. Watson somehow had a mysterious calf injury that prevented him from playing worth a damn. Not to mention he's already a fuckin olds.

We need to extend Wiz's contract now and front load some of that money, but he being an Al Davis pick will probably be let go.

Vic Tafur had a post up today saying Veldheer told them he wouldn't stay unless they gave him a huge deal. That he hated it there but would stay for the money

MRSA

Banned
Kinda wish Reggie would offer Mack, like 12 a year or something.

They can front load a contract with Mack so the Browns can't match. I would love for them to somehow obtain Mack. That line would be just straight up nasty.

Watson, Wiz, Mack, Saffold, Austin. Even midget Greg could run through the mile wide holes they produce.

EDIT: Also about Jennings, I could care less where he goes. I dislike FlatDMC, but RBs are a dime a dozen.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

I'm just not sold on Talib outside of a handful of runs in his career, he's been mediocre. I never believed signing him more than 2 or 3 years was a good idea for the pats, and certainly not paying him top money, especially with just how bad his hip is.

I know that the dude can't stay healthy all the time but when he does, I believe he's got talent. I still can't believe that Saints game where he shut out Jimmy Graham, and then both were out in the second half I believe.

They can front load a contract with Mack so the Browns can't match. I would love for them to somehow obtain Mack. That line would be just straight up nasty.

Watson, Wiz, Mack, Saffold, Austin. Even midget Greg could run through the mile wide holes they produce.

I can get behind this

DMczaf

Lovie has been ready for this day for over a year. Motherfucker was in his manor waiting for the bat signal to light up and then BAM, time to go to mother fucking work.

iYDqk4kxg0CdT.gif

2014 `OFFSEASON CHAMPS!

RAISE THE BANNERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom