• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I know that the dude can't stay healthy all the time but when he does, I believe he's got talent. I still can't believe that Saints game where he shut out Jimmy Graham, and then both were out in the second half I believe.

Jimmy Graham tore his plantar fascia that game, dont forget talib was burned hard by Carolina all game.

Fox318

Gang green nation says the jets offered Howard the same deal but with less guaranteed money.

Idzik has some explaing to do on why they didn't close the deal

squicken

No they didn't. Saffold at best is average compared to Veldheer and is getting a sweetheart deal. While the OL is fixed, I guess if fixed means it fucking exists, it doesn't explain letting jenning and Houston go. Or not even trying to get Bennet.

Now RB, a position heading into this season should be stable is weaker and our DL as of right now, the worst in the league, as we let go of one of the better DE of this free agency.

McKenzie fucked up royally. The Raiders should have been making moves today, not letting their best O-line, best defensive and better RB go.

Raiders are getting the shit they deserve today

Bennett took less money to stay in SEA. He could have made more with the Bears. Why would he want to go to Oakland when stay with the champs for less money? Can't fault Reggie on that

Houston was unhappy with his role there. Veldheer wanted out also. Do you want unhappy players in the locker room?

Saffold is a good guard and decent tackle. Injuries are the issue

Just like every team, the Raider will have to draft well. Signing guys who are only there to cash a check is the wrong way. If you have to pay more for good football character guys, then that's okay. They have the cap room

Just my opinion. I know fans had high expectations b/c of all the cap space

Fox318

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 12m
There "wasn't a big difference" between Jets' offer and Austin Howard asking price, per source: "Idzik drew a line in the sand." #Jets

That's great John. Cheap out on your offensive line and now you are bring a player coming off of missing half the season because of injury.

They can front load a contract with Mack so the Browns can't match. I would love for them to somehow obtain Mack. That line would be just straight up nasty.

Watson, Wiz, Mack, Saffold, Austin. Even midget Greg could run through the mile wide holes they produce.

EDIT: Also about Jennings, I could care less where he goes. I dislike FlatDMC, but RBs are a dime a dozen.

Yeah not too upset about him leaving either.

Jennings is just as injury prone as DMC, he wore down towards the end of the season.

Maybe we can make a reunion of DMC + Michael Bush of 2011. That was an amazing season of rushing.
Jennings IMO didn't wore down. He was actually a fantasy winner towards the end. Only game hurt him was the Cowboy game when he got the concussion. Miss one game and then came back. He was solid against the chiefs

Eleuin

His entire contract is is like Talib's Bonus.
Its definitely weird, you'd think he'd ask for at least a closer amount to shield's deal..

Jennings is just as injury prone as DMC, he wore down towards the end of the season.

Maybe we can make a reunion of DMC + Michael Bush of 2011. That was an amazing season of rushing.
Besides the concussion I don't think he had any other injuries. Perhaps the CFL guy will step up because DMC sure won't be able to lol

MRSA

Banned
Bush could be had for cheap (probably vet min), he was a good all around back that could block, run, and catch.

Reggie needs to get to work on the defensive side. I'd bring back Vance Walker, he was pretty versatile. Since Henry Milton is hurt, I'm sure Reggie is salivating over him. Give him a look. Robert Ayers never lived up to anything, he could be had for cheap.

Besides the concussion I don't think he had any other injuries. Perhaps the CFL guy will step up because DMC sure won't be able to lol

We have Latavious Murray who we drafted last year, and I'm sure we'll draft another guy in the 6th or 7th again. Not a lot of value on RBs these days. Bush coming back is also a possibility.

squicken

I can't believe Jacksonville gave all that money to Zane Beadles.

What a joke.

If they have the money, might as well spend the extra to get the guy they want. I can yell "overpay" all I want, but the Rams still need 3-4 offensive linemen before the start of the year.

Rorschach

Vic Tafur had a post up today saying Veldheer told them he wouldn't stay unless they gave him a huge deal. That he hated it there but would stay for the money

Veldheer wanted to get a deal done even before the season was over and he said he wanted to be a Raider. The Raiders didn't even make him an offer until really late. They treated him like shit. I'm not surprised he left. I can't believe the Raiders paid more for a downgrade.

I like shoring up the offensive line. I just don't know that there's any talent at the skills positions. I'm hoping for a WR early. We never get WRs. :( Besides that ridiculous year of DHB, the last first round WR was Tim Brown.

I don't think Houston deserved the money he wanted although I think he'll do well with the Burrs.

Hartt951

Strange signing by San Diego. Did they do it just to spite Denver?
While Matthews did have a revitalized year, he continued to show that his body cannot take the pounding of a full season. With him on the bench due to injury during our playoff game in Denver we could not run to save our lives. Danny Woodhead is a great third down back, but we really needed another traditional between-the-tackles-RB.

Brown should spell Matthews throughout the season and Danny will come in on third down/special packages hopefully providing us with a powerful rushing attack late in the season.

squicken

Veldheer wanted to get a deal done even before the season was over and he said he wanted to be a Raider. .

You guys obviously know more than I do about this, but the way I read this was that what Veldheer's camp was putting out there wasn't necessarily the truth

That’s more than Veldheer, who signed a five-year deal for $35 million dollars with the Cardinals Tuesday. Veldheer’s mom says the Raiders never made a comparable offer, while league sources said Veldheer made clear to the Raiders early on that he didn’t want to come back unless it was for a huge offer.

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2014/03/11/raiders-re-sign-darren-mcfadden-sign-ol-saffold/

Veldheer wanted to get a deal done even before the season was over and he said he wanted to be a Raider. The Raiders didn't even make him an offer until really late. They treated him like shit. I'm not surprised he left. I can't believe the Raiders paid more for a downgrade.

I like shoring up the offensive line. I just don't know that there's any talent at the skills positions. I'm hoping for a WR early. We never get WRs. :( Besides that ridiculous year of DHB, the last first round WR was Tim Brown.

I don't think Houston deserved the money he wanted although I think he'll do well with the Burrs.

I predict the raiders will sign Tarell brown

remnant

Banned
Bennett took less money to stay in SEA. He could have made more with the Bears. Why would he want to go to Oakland when stay with the champs for less money? Can't fault Reggie on that

Houston was unhappy with his role there. Veldheer wanted out also. Do you want unhappy players in the locker room?

Saffold is a good guard and decent tackle. Injuries are the issue

Just like every team, the Raider will have to draft well. Signing guys who are only there to cash a check is the wrong way. If you have to pay more for good football character guys, then that's okay. They have the cap room

Just my opinion. I know fans had high expectations b/c of all the cap space

I just want to exit free agency with one position looking stronger. I'm already anticipating Reggie trading down in the draft to get more picks just to plug the holes, but do we need to add DL and RB to the list of problems.

Rorschach

You guys obviously know more than I do about this, but the way I read this was that what Veldheer's camp was putting out there wasn't necessarily the truth

Which was at the point where he was already pissed. And it says there that they didn't give him a comparable offer yet they spent more on a lesser tackle. Whatevs!

MRSA

Banned
I just want to exit free agency with one position looking stronger. I'm already anticipating Reggie trading down in the draft to get more picks just to plug the holes, but do we need to add DL and RB to the list of problems.

DL was always a problem. RB still isn't a problem. They just need to incorporate Reece more.

remnant

Banned
I'm expecting the raiders to make a move for Revis tomorrow, but if they won't pay top dollar for either Veldheer or Houston....

DL was always a problem. RB still isn't a problem. They just need to incorporate Reece more.

I'm guessing that's really the plan here.

The O-Line stuff isn't that bad. Sparano did alot more with alot less, so I'm ok with that. I'd like to see some solid additions to our secondary, and shore up on that Defensive Line. But they're giving DA and Tarver the pieces to build a defense they've been wanting to have for a while which is flexible, and has quite a few different looks to it.

I'm expecting the raiders to make a move for Revis tomorrow, but if they won't pay top dollar for either Veldheer or Houston....

Revis is one of the best at his position. Period. Nobodys saying Veldheer or Houston were.

Also It's being rumored Revis has straight up said, don't even bother to Oakland. Man wants a ring.

remnant

Banned
Revis is one of the best at his position. Period. Nobodys saying Veldheer or Houston were.

Also It's being rumored Revis has straight up said, don't even bother to Oakland. Man wants a ring.
But they were two of the best of this free agency, and both are relatively young.

Those two are the exact type of guys you want on your team if you want to rebuild.

Striker

Rashad Jennings had 53 yards on halfback screens last season. The entire Giants offense had 42.
Good grief.

Also, whoever runs the SNYGiants Twitter is saying Geoff Schwartz will be a tackle, and they will move Beatty to guard. I'd assume at this point that means Justin Pugh goes to LT. Whether or not all this is true, well, we'll see. I don't think Beatty is anything but a LT.

I'd suspect the line is, assuming health: Beatty-Schwartz-?-Snee/Mosley/rookie-Pugh

MRSA

Banned
I always figured when they drafted Watson that Veldheer wasn't apart of their plans.

They're taking a big "if" without resigning Veldheer with Watson, if he doesn't pan out they'll plug in Saffold. Which is probably why they paid him LT money.

Good grief.

Also, whoever runs the SNYGiants Twitter is saying Geoff Schwartz will be a tackle, and they will move Beatty to guard. I'd assume at this point that means Justin Pugh goes to LT. Whether or not all this is true, well, we'll see. I don't think Beatty is anything but a LT.

I'd suspect the line is, assuming health: Beatty-Schwartz-?-Snee/Mosley/rookie-Pugh

That seems to be coming from Jordan Ranaan at NJ.com and well...no. Dude writes some loopy shit. He "guessed" that could be a possibility in the same way Lance did about not buying Pugh as a tackle long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom