• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the super bowl was evidence of that.

Come on Deac, you can do better than this!

This is the Broncos admitting they are going to bottom out once Peyton retires, so eff it, might as well be in cap hell anyway!

It's not as fun when Godslay isn't here.

Jeeeesus. That's a helluva lot of money for Talib. :O

When PM retires, it's time for the Brock Osweiler era.

I think that became public knowledge after their SB thumping.

Elway is clearly pulling out all the stops to try to win it while Peyton is still here. This year is probably the last year to do it.

We want a NFC West like DEFENSE!

They want to be able to win and not need PM throwing for 300 yards. Their defense forced zero turnovers in the playoffs. When they play SEA again, I expect a much more conservative offense

greatest QB of all time.

Broncos didn't lose because of a bad defense. They actually did a pretty good job in the Super Bowl and they erased Lynch which few teams did all season. I agree that they need to be more multi faceted and not rely strictly on Peyton. Most delicious part of the Seahawks win is that it helped curb everyone's sucking off of themodern passing offense - at least for a little while.

Like I said Elway played this so well. He overpaid Talib so that Pats couldn't sign him and so that he sets the precedence to what Revis should seek, Pats wouldn't pay that much to a DB.

All part of the plan people..
:O

Maybe Ted Thompson is in on it too with the Shields contract. All of the NFL is uniting against the Pats.

gutshot

JABEE

You guys kill me. You want Dream Team v2.0? They are doing this the right way now and people still bitch and moan.

There is a right way to do things while still acquiring legit talent in free agency. You shouldn't be afraid to take risks on talent. Signing Jenkins was the halfway approach to this. They signed someone to a relatively smaller deal, but it is still rather large. Instead of signing a good player with a proven track record, they spend a little less and get a player that is a project to outright bust coming from New Orleans.

Signing Ward to just a little bit bigger deal would have made the most sense considering Byrd's deal. Ward is a bonafide good football player.

Bread

Banned
Like I said Elway played this so well. He overpaid Talib so that Pats couldn't sign him and so that he sets the precedence to what Revis should seek, Pats wouldn't pay that much to a DB.

All part of the plan people..
lmao yea revis was waiting on AQIB TALIB to find out how much money he should ask for.

your plan sounds like something from gata's brain.

Konka

Banned
There is a right way to do things while still acquiring legit talent in free agency. You shouldn't be afraid to take risks on talent. Signing Jenkins was the halfway approach to this. They signed someone to a relatively smaller deal, but it is still rather large. Instead of signing a good player with a proven track record, they spend a little less and get a player that is a project to outright bust coming from New Orleans.

Signing Ward to just a little bit bigger deal would have made the most sense considering Byrd's deal. Ward is a bonafide good football player.

So was Nnamdi...

rando14

You sound concerned.

Unless Peyton goes to get those German nanomachines like Kobe did, he's still going to be throwing 20 yard ducks for the rest of his career.

We're playing the Broncos next year and this is the time of the year to blow things out of proportion!! WERE DOOMED MAN

La Canfora playing up this angle hard

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 54s
Patriots in a strong position to land Revis now, especially after Talib's deal. Revis wants to be there. Will only take a 5th round pick

Bread

Banned
La Canfora playing up this angle hard

tumblr_lfpt77F3Qh1qbj46wo1_r2_500.gif

squicken

I

Broncos didn't lose because of a bad defense. They actually did a pretty good job in the Super Bowl and they erased Lynch which few teams did all season. I agree that they need to be more multi faceted and not rely strictly on Peyton. Most delicious part of the Seahawks win is that it helped curb everyone's sucking off of the passing offense at least for a little while.

It's hard to think of any time a great offense beat a great defense. Denver needs to be able to run the ball and play defense. The hurry up spread is great vs okay and bad teams, but doesn't work vs good defenses

Talon

They want to be able to win and not need PM throwing for 300 yards. Their defense forced zero turnovers in the playoffs. When they play SEA again, I expect a much more conservative offense
Did we not watch the same Super Bowl? The Super Bowl where Denver straight Fox-balled to hell after that safety? Where Denver refused to attack the seam at all until late in the second half? The Super Bowl where Denver's receivers averaged 8.2 YPC, DT averaged 9.1 YPC, and Peyton literally reached down into Kurt Kittner territory with 5.7 YPA?

Fox318

Tannenbaum was on ESPN earlier.

Admitted that he regretted letting cotchry go and came close to saying that Plaxico was locker room cancer.

squicken

Considering how our last few "big" signings have gone I'm glad the Rams didn't really do much (or got beaten by other teams).

The Rams just paid Finnegan $24m for two terrible years. Verner's deal was for $26m for 4 years. Rams should have done that deal since it's the same coordinator he had last year

It's hard to think of any time a great offense beat a great defense. Denver needs to be able to run the ball and play defense. The hurry up spread is great vs okay and bad teams, but doesn't work vs good defenses
The big play offenses seem too hit-or-miss to be effective against great defenses.

It's like basketball teams that rely on a ton of 3 pointers. Sure you're unstoppable when you're on your game, but sooner or later you have a bad shooting game against a good team and you're toast.

In the Broncos' case, they got rocked at the LOS. Never got anything going, Peyton had to start forcing stuff Favre-style (or rely on impotent checkdowns), and that's all she wrote.

JABEE

So was Nnamdi...

So was Jon Runyan
So was Asante Samuel
So was Jevon Kearse
So was Terrell Owens
So was Troy Vincent

There are always going to be situations where players that you sign in free agency just don't have it anymore or stop playing.

That shouldn't dissuade a team from spending money on a free agent. I know free agency is a risk, but at least put your money on players with potential and a track record. Don't refuse to put money on a player because they are Nnamdi-like in term and dollar amount and have a chance to make you look bad 12 months from now.

squicken

Did we not watch the same Super Bowl? The Super Bowl where Denver straight Fox-balled to hell after that safety? Where Denver refused to attack the seam at all until late in the second half? The Super Bowl where Denver's receivers averaged 8.2 YPC, DT averaged 9.1 YPC, and Peyton literally reached down into Kurt Kittner territory with 5.7 YPA?

Every time, early on, he held the ball too long he got hit, then skittish in the pocket. They play SEA this year. I'm guessing his pass attempts go way down

Talon

Every time, early on, he held the ball too long he got hit, then skittish in the pocket. They play SEA this year. I'm guessing his pass attempts go way down
They Fox balled after that safety and played super conservative.

Drive 2: Run, dump off, dump off
Drive 3: Dump off, run, pick
Drive 4: Short pass, short pass, run, short pass, run, short pass, downfield shot, short pass, short pass, run, shot, short pass, run, pick six on the tip

It's not like these were long-developing plays either. Those quick passes to DT in the flat were worthless, and it's not like Denver can move the pocket.

Wow at that Talib deal.

Apparently Revis told his agent to communicate to the Raiders that he won't play for us and we shouldn't attempt to trade for him lol. Not the only player to do so from what I'm hearing. Sigh.

Also Houston wasn't happy with he way he was being used all year and was butting heads with the coaching staff. I can see that being true.

Say one thing about Reggie, he has balls and isn't acting like someone who is concerned about his job security. I think he's here for the long haul and will at least get his 5 years.

Wait a 26 million dollar guarantee is a lot? For how many years?

6 years, 57, 26 guaranteed.

Wow at that Talib deal.

Apparently Revis told his agent to communicate to the Raiders that he won't play for us and we shouldn't attempt to trade for him lol. Not the only player to do so from what I'm hearing. Sigh.

Also Houston wasn't happy with he way he was being used all year and was butting heads with the coaching staff. I can see that being true.

Say one thing about Reggie, he has balls and isn't acting like someone who is concerned about his job security. I think he's here for the long haul and will at least get his 5 years.

Well Tony Dungy told Michael Vick coming out of jail that under no circumstance could he play for the Raiders.... just saying...

Godslay

Banned
Good signing, imo. Cheaper than Champ, better than DRC. Clear upgrade. Pats might not have overpayed, but their team just lost a big piece of what made their defense serviceable last year.

Now stop making moves John, so I don't feel obligation to post. And yes the SB taught us that Peyton wasn't enough. Now I'm really out until the draft, unless Brady signs with us and we run a dual QB threat.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So the pats are probably getting revis... if the Broncos don't land Ware and the pats somehow pry him away, who wins that? Also if the pats get revis how the hell do we get some receivers? How much is Revis' cap number?

Greg

Good signing, imo. Cheaper than Champ, better than DRC. Clear upgrade. Pats might not have overpayed, but their team just lost a big piece of what made their defense serviceable last year.

Now stop making moves John, so I don't feel obligation to post. And yes the SB taught us that Peyton wasn't enough. Now I'm really out until the draft, unless Brady signs with us and we run a dual QB threat.
HEY, GODSLAY!

I hope he makes moves daily now!

Wow at that Talib deal.

The heat is going to be on Reggie to fire Allen if/when the Raiders are one of the worst teams in the NFL again. Don't think Mark Davis is high on Allen, could get interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom