• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

That seems to be coming from Jordan Ranaan at NJ.com and well...no. Dude writes some loopy shit. He "guessed" that could be a possibility in the same way Lance did about not buying Pugh as a tackle long term.
I'm guessing this is the same sort of guy that plays Madden and just changes his best lineman to LT.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Welcome back Godslay. Missed ya man. Broncos are going all out, as they should, because this will most likely be Peytons last season.

Also someone earlier mentioned (a few pages back, too tired to look up the post) about how Ted Thompson and John Elway raised the market value for DBs with the Sam Shield and Talib contracts pretty much screwing over the Patriots, which I thought was an excellent point.

I'm personally glad the Packers overpaid Shields. He is a solid DB but the guy is 5'11 and Megatron and Mike Evans will be schooling him for his next four years at least 2 games a season.

As for the Lions cap situation I'm extremely confident in this team going forward if we can land Watkins or Evans at #10. Some Lions fans have been ridiculously suggesting we should draft a defensive back at #10. Defensive backs can't catch touchdown passes, and we can focus on that later in the draft. At this point I think we should go for Golden Tate or Hakeem Nicks in free agency.

Our offensive line is set, and one of the youngest in the league due to Mayhew brilliantly drafting Larry Warford in the 3rd and LaAdrian Waddle as a UDR (plus Riley Reiff at LT from two years ago in the first round).

We have a franchise QB who can lead his team to the playoffs and even win games, and put the team on his back, if necessary. We also have a solid RB core with one more added in the draft or FA (this draft is full of speed backs).

We just need a solid #2 WR and we've needed it since Titus Young went out. I'd be ecstatic with a Golden Tate signing and then drafting Evans or Watkins. Stafford will drop 41 TDs, 16 INTs, 5,000 yard type stats like he did in 2011.

Any of you want a beta key for elder scrolls online?

Appreciate the offer chris, but brah, Dark Souls II just came out. Ain't nobody got time for Elder Scrolls when Dark Souls is out. Get on PSN so we can get some co-op going.

Its an amazing game so far, only thing I don't like is every time you die you health bar gets lowered till you regain humanity. Demons Souls had it, Dark Souls I did not, and I hated that in DeSouls.

Appreciate the offer chris, but brah, Dark Souls II just came out. Ain't nobody got time for Elder Scrolls when Dark Souls is out. Get on PSN so we can get some co-op going.

Its an amazing game so far, only thing I don't like is every time you die you health bar gets lowered till you regain humanity. Demons Souls had it, Dark Souls I did not, and I hated that in DeSouls.

Wish I could but I have too much hw :(

BigAT

Good grief.

Also, whoever runs the SNYGiants Twitter is saying Geoff Schwartz will be a tackle, and they will move Beatty to guard. I'd assume at this point that means Justin Pugh goes to LT. Whether or not all this is true, well, we'll see. I don't think Beatty is anything but a LT.

I'd suspect the line is, assuming health: Beatty-Schwartz-?-Snee/Mosley/rookie-Pugh

How the hell does Beatty move into guard? That doesn't seem like a reasonable scenario.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Wish I could but I have too much hw :(

Yeah I feel ya on that. I played about an hour or so today but won't be able to sink my teeth into it again Friday night or so. But so far its sooooogood.gif if you like DeSouls+DaSouls.

I wouldn't have bought the game if it wasn't an early birthday gift for my brother. He asked me to throw down on the game and I was "like fuck it brah this is your early birthday gift, I got this." I wait for games to go down in prices nowadays, but Dark Souls II is easily worth $60 8in terms of content and hours you'll spend exploring) if you have the time.

I'm a HUGE South Park fan but I'll wait a few months for the game to drop to $30 or so before I pick it up.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Nightz, Hart951, ChargersGAF whats going on with the Qualcomm Stadium situation? I'd hate too see San Diego lose the Chargers(I don't want them in L.A. Chargers are San Diego, Raiders are L.A. and soon the Rams) but Qualcomm Stadium is pretty shitty and the city needs to upgrade to a new stadium.

cajunator

Banned
Nightz, Hart951, ChargersGAF whats going on with the Qualcomm Stadium situation? I'd hate too see San Diego lose the Chargers(I don't want them in L.A. Chargers are San Diego, Raiders are L.A. and soon the Rams) but Qualcomm Stadium is pretty shitty and the city needs to upgrade to a new stadium.

That is a big city. Theyll get it done.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Yeah, I hope so but it seems like its dragging on a little longer than expected. Should've been done already because Qualcomm is a dump in terms of stadium design and I've been their a few times. Minnesota got there business handled, so why hasn't San Diego yet?

One of my main fears for this Roger Goddell NFL is expanding the NFL to cities like Mexico City or London. Canada is okay because it has had a previous football culture as bionic pointed out a few days ago, but the traveling will really screw with how players perform and there routine.

Nightz

The Chargers have a new state of the art stadium
in the GAF Madden league.

Seriously though, not much happening at this point. A lot of it has to do with the instability with whoever San Diego's mayor is. Filner said he was willing to work with the Chargers on a stadium, but he had his whole scandal and nothing ever materialized with the stadium. Hopefully the new mayor wants to work with the team to get something done.

As far as the team, it seems that they want to stay in San Diego. They're currently focused on a downtown site near Petco Park and want to get something on the ballot soon I believe. Funding is still the main hurdle. They've been trying to get a new stadium for over 10 years now...I feel like something will happen soon, not sure if that necessarily means the Chargers will be staying in SD. Hoping for the best though.

Hartt951

Unfortunately, San Diego is operated like it's a small rural city and not like it's the 8th largest in the U.S.

It is a positive that we finally have a mayor again. He has said that he supports getting a new stadium for the Chargers that is smart for the taxpayers and doesn't use a lot of public funds (which of course is counter to our owner who wants public support just like every NFL owner). What is good is that our new mayor is in favor of developing/selling the city owned land that Qualcomm and our Sports Arena sit on top of in order to help fund the new stadium. This is a huge positive because any actual deal is most likely going to materialize due to the funds from these pieces of land.

I'm optimistic that something will finally get done, but that has more to do with the lack of progress in LA rather than there being any progress in SD.

A team in Toronto makes a lot more sense than a team in Buffalo.

A team in London makes zero sense. I don't think anyone would care about a team in Mexico city.

squicken

Listening to the 2 Mugs Podcast w/LZ, and they were saying one of the reasons the Raiders will be vague about Saffold is so they can let on that they may draft Matthews at 5. Gives them maximum flexibility if they want to trade down, or even draft him

fwiw LZ said his dad (OL coach w/the Cardinals) and the team wanted Saffold for LT. Think he's better there than RT, but he's also a good OG. He argued that they pay him too much to realistically play him at guard

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Listening to the 2 Mugs Podcast w/LZ, and they were saying one of the reasons the Raiders will be vague about Saffold is so they can let on that they may draft Matthews at 5. Gives them maximum flexibility if they want to trade down, or even draft him

fwiw LZ said his dad (OL coach w/the Cardinals) and the team wanted Saffold for LT. Think he's better there than RT, but he's also a good OG. He argued that they pay him too much to realistically play him at guard

Saffold to the Raiders is great news for Lions fans. If the Browns pass up on Watkins at #4 I have no doubt we make some sort of move to trade from out #10 spot to the #5. It really should no cost much more than a 3rd rounder.

Either way, like I've said, both Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins look like they will be legit #1 receivers on any team in the NFL, except for the Lions who have Megatron.

tumblr_myesv4jnoy1shtg7lo1_250.gif

Striker

How the hell does Beatty move into guard? That doesn't seem like a reasonable scenario.
It just feels like a couple of these writers are throwing out ideas regarding the team and since they write for whichever paper, it is taken as fact. It's gotten quite annoying to read.

Saffold to the Raiders is great news for Lions fans. If the Browns pass up on Watkins at #4 I have no doubt we make some sort of move to trade from out #10 spot to the #5. It really should no cost much more than a 3rd rounder.

Either way, like I've said, both Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins look like they will be legit #1 receivers on any team in the NFL, except for the Lions who have Megatron.

Moving from #10 to #5 SHOULD cost a 2nd round pick, with the Raiders throwing a later round pick (probably 4th) back with #5. Only getting the 3rd for moving back to #10 is a bad trade, but Reggie did an awful value trade last year, so you never know

Wes

venison crêpe
Albert Breer suggests Browns may go after Edelman or Sanders now.

I wonder if the Patriots get Revis, we get Edelman?

Wes

venison crêpe
@AdamSchefter
One AFC West official who tried to get DeMarcus Ware to visit his city said he was told "you're not going to like where he winds up."

#DreamTeam2014

Man, I go to bed and the Broncos make another big signing?

A little confused with the Talib pickup. Didn't think they'd pick him up for that much though, but I guess if DRC was looking for more then it makes sense. The Broncos should still have a good chunk of cap space left (I think they had like $33 mil to begin the offseason once Kuper retired). I'd love to bring back DRC though (or maybe even Revis), but I'm not sure if the Broncos would be willing to tie up that much money in the corner position. Still plenty of spots to fill, with needs all over the place. I'm hoping only about $10 mil of that cap has been used up so far between prorated bonuses + early year contracts for TJ and Talib.

Surprised Tuck isn't even getting offers over $3 mil/year given he had 11 sacks last year (though I guess 6 against the 'Skins isn't that huge of an achievement). I still like Shaun Phillips for what he did last year, getting 10 sacks and very solid against the run, but I doubt he'll come back for that sweet deal he did last year. Allen and Ware sound like such pricey propositions, though I guess they presumably have the space. I'd like to see some movement at either the LB or OL position though, since we lost quite a few people there.

The market is dead quiet on the WR front. Would like to have Decker back too, but not for a high price. Wouldn't mind a speedy receiver to stretch the field if one is available in the draft.

On a side note, surprised and a little sad Antoine Bethea left the Colts. It felt like he was the only safety that could ever stay healthy on the team, since Sanders, Bullitt and whoever else they put back there would always go down. Even if he had struggles last year always felt he was a really solid safety.

Tom Penny

Talib comes down to health. He's never played 16 games and missed like 1/3 of his games the last 3 years due to injury or beating down people with his mom and PED's.

Aw, I like Breno, really only because his full name is fun to say.

I've been eating too much ice cream lately, and not going to the gym enough. =( That's not a good trend!

I haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks and drinking a lot of alcohol :/

Playing a Nice amount of soccer though, should compensate for that a bit.

Wes

venison crêpe
@LaneAdkins
Barring a drastic turn of events, Browns talk on Darrelle Revis ends.

The dream appears to be over.

Narag

Never clicked with me that ATL Gregg Rosenthal was PFT Gregg Rosenthal once upon a time. Felt pretty dumb. That's my Gata moment of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom