• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Can anyone tell me what the movie Draft Day is actually about? Like, how is it a movie? I've watched war room cams. Shit seems pretty boring, and most of the time it's just dudes patting each other on the back after every pick.

And this has been the longest offseason ever.

how spoiled do you want to be? I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Roughly, Costner is the GM of the Browns, they have a high draft pick. There is a star QB that everyone projects as the sure fire prospect. Costner's job is on the line. Also, he's banging his cap expert.
He makes a move in the first 10 minutes of the movie with his pick, and the rest of the film is about what happens after that up through Draft Day.

EDIT: Just saw the Warrior news. :(

Bread

Banned
RIP to the greatest wrestler of all time, the Ultimate Warrior

fuck this sucks, that dude was so huge throughout my childhood

squicken

Warrior and Macho Man just looked so different from every other guy. Lots of early wrasslers were doughy dudes like Lawler and Dusty Rhodes. Then Warrior comes along and is ripped to hell with the face paint and long hair and just insane interviews. Hard to forget

how spoiled do you want to be? I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Roughly, Costner is the GM of the Browns, they have a high draft pick. There is a star QB that everyone projects as the sure fire prospect. Costner's job is on the line. Also, he's banging his cap expert.
He makes a move in the first 10 minutes of the movie with his pick, and the rest of the film is about what happens after that up through Draft Day.

EDIT: Just saw the Warrior news. :(

I guess there might be a movie in there. Do you recommend it? I have a soft spot for Costner sports movies, but I got a feeling this is no Bull Durham.

Warrior news is terrible. Was never my favorite wrestler but I always liked him. I just hope Brett Hart lives forever.

Vyer

I guess there might be a movie in there. Do you recommend it? I have a soft spot for Costner sports movies, but I got a feeling this is no Bull Durham.
r.

meh... There's basically 3 things going on in the movie. One is the draft moves/deals/scouting by Costner/Browns. The second is the clash between Costner and Coach Dennis Leary. The third is the romance between Costner and Gardner.

The first is vaguely interesting, particularly on Draft Day itself, though I'm sure most draft followers will probably tell you it's stupidly unrealistic. The second is cliched and only really saved a little by the fact that Leary is somewhat funny as the asshole coach. The third is fucking terrible. Costner and Gardner have no chemistry whatsoever and the two of them look more like father and daughter in any scene where they are together.
There's a 5 minute scene where the two of them literally tell the audience what the motivations and traits of their respective characters are. Gardner's all like "I'm a coach's daughter! I grew up around this stuff! I had to work hard to get where I am!" etc. etc then does the same thing for Costner. It's like the script can't be bothered with anything other than spelling this shit out.
If it isn't something that can manufacture a little bit of drama on its own (like on the clock wheeling and dealling), the writing really struggles.

If you're an NFL fan you might want to catch it on TV. I wouldn't pay to see it in a theater.

cdyhybrid

Unless you're going to level a crusader later, shard it. Even then it'd be limited use due to +dex and low item level.

Roger that.

Are the random crafting magic properties completely random? Or do they follow some sort of guidelines? Specifically, do certain types of weapons receive certain types of stats? Or should I always just craft the highest DPS weapon and pray I get good enchantments?

rando14

Roger that.

Are the random crafting magic properties completely random? Or do they follow some sort of guidelines? Specifically, do certain types of weapons receive certain types of stats? Or should I always just craft the highest DPS weapon and pray I get good enchantments?

Pretty much the latter, weapons can have tons of different properties, you usually just wait until you find a great one. You can re-roll one property, but only one, and it gets more expensive the more you do it, and more if it's a legendary.

I'd just focus on raw dps until you get to higher levels, that's when you start to worry about more nuances

cdyhybrid

Pretty much the latter, weapons can have tons of different properties, you usually just wait until you find a great one. You can re-roll one property, but only one, and it gets more expensive the more you do it, and more if it's a legendary.

I'd just focus on raw dps until you get to higher levels, that's when you start to worry about more nuances

I see. I'm just crafting rares right now, and so far I'm facing decisions like 50 DPS (stupid random properties) and no Dex vs. 45 DPS and a bunch of Dex (I kept the 45 DPS w/ Dex BTW). Up to level 27, in Act 2 of the story. Monk is starting to look kinda cool and not like a bum that walked in off the street.

someone hug me, I just finished a draft for my Results section of my research paper - 21 pages. I did it in 2 days. And I have an internship to go to in 10 hours. Probably more reports to write at the internship. I wish grad school would be over already!!!!!!

Wes

venison crêpe

Oddly enough Draft Day was the number one most liked script on the blacklist a couple of years ago so there's got to be something to work with. I only know of one review that is out so far:

"Draft Day" works first as a character comedy, second as a workplace comedy, and it that rare bird, a mainstream comedy that seems to treat adults as actual smart human beings. If you're a diehard football fan, you may draw some extra pleasure from the dozens of small inside jokes peppered throughout, but even for non-fans, "Draft Day" delivers.

At the very least, it doesn't sound like it'll be a bad movie.

I dont see how anyone can watch that movie after seeing the commercial where Denis Leary says "I am from Dallas and we win there, a Lot". Was the script written in 1994 and they never bothered to update it?

Dragon

Banned
:jnc Someone from the Bucs organization reached out to my company. We're a smaller sports media company and apparently we haven't updated our logos. Man these logos are AWFUL!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m
Storyline to watch: #Lions Vice Chairman Bill Ford Jr was at the facility yesterday and did meet with WR Sammy Watkins. Would take a trade…

Kas it's happening brother!

bionic77

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m
Storyline to watch: #Lions Vice Chairman Bill Ford Jr was at the facility yesterday and did meet with WR Sammy Watkins. Would take a trade…

Kas it's happening brother!
Good news for Kas, the Lions are going to win the Superbowl.

Bad news for KAS, they all converted to Islam and the credit for the win was given to Allah.

ShaneB

I dont see how anyone can watch that movie after seeing the commercial where Denis Leary says "I am from Dallas and we win there, a Lot". Was the script written in 1994 and they never bothered to update it?

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I was sure there was a Seahawks line in the trailer too that stated something similar? Just seems like an odd thing to put in, at least speak of a dynasty that actually happened! ah well, Kevin Costner and sports movies tend to go together pretty damn well, so I'm excited to see the movie.

Speaking of sports movies, Major League came out 25 years ago today. A classic!

Good point was raised on the Monday ATL podcast (as there always is), that if the Texans pass on Clowny and the Rams decide to go with him for their pick, that is not a defence I want the Seahawks to face twice a season =(

BigAT

I'm sick and tired of reading these "so and so interviewed some guy in the draft" stories. Each team interviews like 30 guys each year.

On top of the sheer number of players that get interviewed, most of the time they don't even matter. For several years in a row the Giants first round pick was always someone they hadn't brought in prior to the draft. It's just not newsworthy.

manfestival

On top of the sheer number of players that get interviewed, most of the time they don't even matter. For several years in a row the Giants first round pick was always someone they hadn't brought in prior to the draft. It's just not newsworthy.

Its never is

MRSA

Banned
I found Coldplay's favorite game

Dont-Die-Dateless-Dummy-Banner.jpg

My eyes oh god my eyes.

bionic77

Should you go to jail if you actually have sex with a pillow that has a cartoon characters face and body on it?

On one hand I believe in freedom and it is not technically hurting anyone.

But on the other hand, you have a grown man having sex with a pillow.

Tough one.

Slo

Should you go to jail if you actually have sex with a pillow that has a cartoon characters face and body on it?

On one hand I believe in freedom and it is not technically hurting anyone.

But on the other hand, you have a grown man having sex with a pillow.

Tough one.

I like to think of them as sperm quarantine systems for defective DNA.

Hashtag stop bronnie breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom