• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions and everything but 3D World is probably my favorite Mario game of all time, just an absolutely perfect blend of the 2D and 3D elements of the series. I had so much more fun with it than the Galaxy games.

Also, you know you would buy a Wii U just for X. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed it that much, would go a long way towards feeling better about your purchase ;) Galaxy recaptured the magic for me while 3D world was just a solid ho hum but coop is huge and makes for some fun experiences.

I'm actually not even interested in X at this point because it's supposed to be akin to Xenoblade, right? I like to play RPGs for story and am always disappointed when that takes a major backseat to exploration and battles. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those two aspects a lot but story is why RPGs are my favorite genre. FFXV is the game I'm creaming my jeans for
if it ever comes out :(

I don't give a fuck what people like but your opinions are kind of shitty because I take from this that you never played any of the games that you are hating on. Just say you don't like those games and save us from reading the rest of the crap.

Also Skyward Sword was a brilliant game with one or two really shitty sections. I don't get how people could hate on that game. The sword fighting worked perfectly and just made that game such a great experience.

Your post doesn't even make sense, what game did I say was bad? I said Mario and Donkey Kong are fun and gave reasons as to why they don't merit a purchase of the system (IMO). Most of my argument was that nearly all these games are offered on the 3DS so seriously, wtf are you talking about?

Skyward Sword's problems? The controls were absolute shit for one. I literally had to move the sensor bar around for certain parts because it couldn't read my movements accurately and no I wasn't swinging it around like an ingrate. I beat plenty of games on the Wii and NEVER had to to that for any of them. You should not have to alter your environment for a video game. Just let me hit a damn button to swing the sword, I don't need gimmicks. Moving past that, I was particularly disappointed with the lack of variety in environments. Outside of the main town and the brief moments in the storm area up in the sky, you had a whopping three areas to go to. Yes, they varied the sections when you returned but it paled in comparison to the variety of regions and dungeon themes from past entries. Why couldn't they be bothered to make more regions like a snow/ice or tropical one? I wasn't the only person disappointed having to go back to the same three sections, repeatedly.

I have beaten Mario and Zelda btw and am still working on DK with a friend when we have time. It's an opinion as to how good Mario and DK is, but I'd love to see someone argue how Tropical Freeze is much different from Returns (available on 3DS) or how 3D World is a large departure from 3D Land. They are still solid games, but the argument here is whether there's enough to them to warrant a purchase when you have a 3DS.

Is Psych any good? I watched the pilot and got halfway through the second episode and so far it's pretty boring. GAF hypes the shit out of it though, should I just chalk it up to nerds nerding again?

I like it...in spurts. Some of the earlier stuff can be a little tedious as they try to establish the characters. There are some great episodes though as the show continues. My wife loves it. Watched it religiously when it aired.

MechDX

To recap: Alex Mack highly impressed with Jacksonville, wants to play there, will sign 5-year offer sheet by end of week, per ESPN sources.

Kave vs Gata.....fight!!

MechDX

They should have just franchise tagged him.

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
To recap: Alex Mack highly impressed with Jacksonville, wants to play there, will sign 5-year offer sheet by end of week, per ESPN sources.

Kave vs Gata.....fight!!

What contract can they possibly offer that we can't match?

Any of you guys play survival horror? Looking forward to watching the new Evil Within trailer when I get home tonight. Also, double dipping the fuck out of TLOU on PS4, was really hoping this would happen.

MechDX

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans · 1m
RT @DeepSlant: Mettenberger just 13 weeks out from surgery. Says O'Brien is a football genius he'd love to work with. pic.twitter.com/zoDMJF31sO

OMG....he wear #8 and is as slow as Schaub.......

tumblr_m5vtqyRoUN1qg5hkb.gif

Not being forced to live in Cleveland?

Colasante

They could make it fully guaranteed.

Informed Nick Caserio/New England Patriots had 2-hour chalk board session with Logan Thomas/QB & DJ Coles/WR before 45min of position drills

I'm very curious to see if Logan Thomas is drafted as a quarterback or a tight end.

MechDX

They could make it fully guaranteed.

I'm very curious to see if Logan Thomas is drafted as a quarterback or a tight end.

I have asked before and no one answered. Supposedly the NFL has safeguards in place so teams can not do a "poison pill" contract like the NBA does. What constitutes a poison pill in the NFL? Anyone?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

Can't match? That's difficult. Not willing to match? Not so difficult. A long term contract that's pushing the value of the position up. Which is what's rumoured. The contract will be structured as much as possible within the CBA to make it difficult for Cleveland to match, in terms of where the guaranteed money falls. That wouldn't normally be possible, but since Mack wants out of Cleveland it's doable.

bionic77

Your post doesn't even make sense, what game did I say was bad? I said Mario and Donkey Kong are fun and gave reasons as to why they don't merit a purchase of the system (IMO). Most of my argument was that nearly all these games are offered on the 3DS so seriously, wtf are you talking about?

Skyward Sword's problems? The controls were absolute shit for one. I literally had to move the sensor bar around for certain parts because it couldn't read my movements accurately and no I wasn't swinging it around like an ingrate. I beat plenty of games on the Wii and NEVER had to to that for any of them. You should not have to alter your environment for a video game. Just let me hit a damn button to swing the sword, I don't need gimmicks. Moving past that, I was particularly disappointed with the lack of variety in environments. Outside of the main town and the brief moments in the storm area up in the sky, you had a whopping three areas to go to. Yes, they varied the sections when you returned but it paled in comparison to the variety of regions and dungeon themes from past entries. Why couldn't they be bothered to make more regions like a snow/ice or tropical one? I wasn't the only person disappointed having to go back to the same three sections, repeatedly.

I have beaten Mario and Zelda btw and am still working on DK with a friend when we have time. It's an opinion as to how good Mario and DK is, but I'd love to see someone argue how Tropical Freeze is much different from Returns (available on 3DS) or how 3D World is a large departure from 3D Land. They are still solid games, but the argument here is whether there's enough to them to warrant a purchase when you have a 3DS.

As someone that has owned every major Nintendo console ever made except the Wii U and has always loved them, I really don't see a single reason to own it if you have a 3DS. Most major entries come out on the 3DS and the 3DS gets stuff the Wii U doesn't. What games on the Wii U are really worth buying the system for when you already have a 3DS? Mario 3D World is one of it's best games on it and while fun with friends, it's essentially a safe and lazy mail in as it's more or less an unscaled version of 3D Land with a few more features. It felt like a huge step back from Galaxies which genuinely felt like progression for the series. Donkey Kong, another fun game but it's the same exact shit that was on the Wii and now 3DS, just a different look. So what's left? Pikmin and Wonderful? Hardly system sellers. MK will be on the 3DS, Smash will be on the 3DS.... So basically you have Zelda U to look to and that's damn near it. Personally was extremely disappointed with Skyward Sword so I'm skeptic for now on that title as well. I WANTED to desire the Wii U but the Wii started a terrible down trend for me and they did nothing to restore it with this iteration. Third party developers still won't buy in so why should I? 3DS is the true "next gen" Nintendo offering.

I don't care if you say you hate a game but you are saying here that you don't like these games because they are refreshes or sequels of other games. That is the entire AAA gaming landscape today! We are replaying the same shit for the most part we played on the PS2. Before we could at least point to updated graphics, but even that is going away.

Like I said I don't care what people like or don't like but I didn't find your reasoning to be compelling.

I mean I really don't get your complaints on Skyward Sword. How is motion control for a sword a gimmick and how is that not more immersive than pressing a button? I see that it didn't work for you (though that might be more because you sucked than a fault of the technology). Your other complaints about the game are valid as it did have too much filler (at least IMHO), but the controls were fucking perfect and I thought a big step forward for games. I don't see how you can the same experience from using a button. The boss fights in that game were some of the best I have ever had in a game and it was entirely because of the controls.

Maybe I am jaded from playing games for more than 30 years, but it is new experiences like those found in Skyward Sword that get me most excited. I know I am not alone in seeing all the excitement over Oculus (at least before Facebook...). But don't say that Mario 15 is a rehash but that Final Fantasy 29 is new and exciting. You just like one game more than the other. Which is fine, but say that instead of the other typical gaming age nonsense.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I have asked before and no one answered. Supposedly the NFL has safeguards in place so teams can not do a "poison pill" contract like the NBA does. What constitutes a poison pill in the NFL? Anyone?

From the CBA:

Notwithstanding Subsections (i) and (ii) above, no Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills').

Colasante

Steve Hutchinson was the most famous poison pill contract.

Hutchinson, then signed a controversial offer sheet from the Vikings, for $49 million over seven years, believed to be the richest contract ever offered a guard at the time. The offer sheet, though, contained a poison pill provision that would have guaranteed his entire salary if he was not the highest-paid lineman on the team.

NFL rules require that when a team uses its transition tag on a player, they must either exactly match a competing offer sheet or relinquish their rights to that player. While the tag is unlikely to be triggered during his time with the Vikings (which means he is unlikely to see the entire $49 million), the Seahawks had recently given tackle Walter Jones a contract richer than the one offered to Hutchinson. Thus, they would have triggered the "poison pill" clause immediately, and would have been forced, by NFL rules, to guarantee Hutchinson's entire salary. Since doing so would have destroyed their salary cap, they could not match the offer. Moreover, since they only used their transition tag, rather than naming Hutchinson a franchise player, they received no compensation from Minnesota for their loss. Seattle retaliated, though, by signing Minnesota wide receiver Nate Burleson to an offer sheet containing a similar ploy. Because of this controversy, the NFL banned the use of "poison pills".

The Nate Burleson retaliation contract was even more absurd.

In an act of apparent revenge, the Seattle Seahawks included their own "poison pills" when signing restricted free agent wide receiver Nate Burleson. The total contract was seven years and $49 million - not coincidentally the exact amount of the contract Hutchinson received from the Vikings. The first poison pill stipulated that the entire contract would be guaranteed if Burleson played five or more games in the state of Minnesota during any year of the contract. This of course would be impossible as a member of the Seahawks, but an inevitability as a member of the Vikings, who play their home games in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minnesota.

MechDX

You can't put clauses in the contract that mean the team signing the guy has to pay a different amount to the team they're signing him away from, or hurt them in other ways.

So other stupid clauses. Got it. Thanks

But what if someone offered a huge number that the other team just could not match at all?

bionic77

Bionic....lawyer speak translation please. k thanks!
Its a sneaky way to fuck over other teams.

Imagine FMT putting a clause in Alex Smiths contract that he got $5 mill a year BUT you had to pay double his contract if the GMs penis was smaller than his knowing that most NFL GM's penises are small while San Fran's GM had a giant 6 incher.

This is probably a bad example but in my defense I was trying to be funny!

So other stupid clauses. Got it. Thanks

But what if someone offered a huge number that the other team just could not match at all?

There's nothing to say they can't do that. I mean, that's kind of the point. How else do you think people can be like "they have X amount of cap space, they can go try to sign a Y caliber player"

Greg

Imagine FMT putting a clause in Alex Smiths contract that he got $5 mill a year BUT you had to pay double his contract if the GMs penis was smaller than his knowing that most NFL GM's penises are small while San Fran's GM had a giant 6 incher.
:jnc

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Baby steps man.

Oh I'm pleased with this. I would love the Browns to have all the primetime games so you assholes would be forced to watch them.

Kave vs Gata.....fight!!

Can't match? That's difficult. Not willing to match? Not so difficult. A long term contract that's pushing the value of the position up. Which is what's rumoured. The contract will be structured as much as possible within the CBA to make it difficult for Cleveland to match, in terms of where the guaranteed money falls. That wouldn't normally be possible, but since Mack wants out of Cleveland it's doable.

The only way the Browns don't match is if the Jags make a contract so ridiculous that not even the Jags would want it.

Also not like the Browns have no cap space for this either. So good luck I guess?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

Then that team gets the player on that huge contract.

That isn't going to happen here, because the Browns have more cap room than the Jags, so the offer can't be one that the Jags can afford and the Browns can't.

It's more a question of whether the Jags are willing to set out an offer that the Browns aren't willing to match - the Browns have more other players to resign than the Jags, after all.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So update on Alex Mack now that I'm home.

As I read on the cesspool that is OBR Schefter apparently said on ESPN that the deal would be offering 20 million guaranteed with an opt out after the first year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Stupid question, but opt out for who?

I am assuming for the player (Mack). Otherwise it'd make no sense for the team to have the ability to opt out after that.

Either way if that's what the Jags need to do to get him from us then congrats I guess.

I just hope he doesn't opt out after getting his guaranteed money to sign another contract.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I am assuming for the player (Mack). Otherwise it'd make no sense for the team to have the ability to opt out after that.

I can see that being challenged under the clause I quoted above. In a case where a player wants to leave a team, surely that creates different obligations for the two teams, indirectly at least.

I can see that being challenged under the clause I quoted above. In a case where a player wants to leave a team, surely that creates different obligations for the two teams, indirectly at least.

Eh, it seems like it would work. My question is, if he opts out, why don't they just franchise him? They'd need to go OLine heavy in the draft if they lose him.

BigAT

Eh, it seems like it would work. My question is, if he opts out, why don't they just franchise him? They'd need to go OLine heavy in the draft if they lose him.

You can't franchise players that are opting out of a deal, it's only for players that have an expiring contract. That's why Revis' new deal has a $20 million option for year 2, it's so they can't franchise him.

Slo

Its a sneaky way to fuck over other teams.

This is probably a bad example but in my defense I was trying to be funny!

You seem to have a lot of knowledge on the penii of rich old white men. I assume law school involves a lot of sucking and fucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom