• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldnt disagree more. I completed the whole game and got all the achievements but one and I never purchased anything, there is no reason at all for anyone to use the microtransactions in the game.
Whether you have to use them or not is not my point. The structure of the game is designed around replayable missions so as to allow you to stock up resources to evolve your dragons and gain items. That carrot exists to facilitate the sale of those packs in the store. If the game were designed with any sense of actual narrative progression, that carrot wouldn't exist. This is where people who say "well I never had to use them!" when discussing microtransactions completely miss the point of how just having them period can fundamentally affect the design of a game.

Moving past that - Narratively, its dogshit. Control wise it doesn't feel anywhere near as tight or precise as Orta on its best day (and I've spent a good 10 hours with it so its not like I played for 20 minutes and formed an opinion). Evolving and growing your dragon was done more intelligently and thoughtfully in both Orta and Azel. So all that's left is the wingman mechanic which is half assed and amounts to a super move you can spam when you get in trouble and equipping different items that boosts stats (already done in Azel) and different commands based on the elemental style of your dragon.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm glad it clicked for you but I'm not going to lie to you - I find it borderline asinine to consider Crimson Dragon comparable to the best Panzer Dragoon has to offer, much less BETTER.

LOL at WiiU already blowing its load, Zelda U hasnt even come out yet, or Mario Universe. WiiU has tons of games left. I am sure we will get a Metroid on the WiiU as well.
Plus Smash Bros.! I'm also a huge Mario Kart fan but I get that a lot of people are kind of tired of those games. I love my Wii U. Actually I just picked up The Wonderful 101 the other day, looking forward to trying that out, plus I still need to play more DKC:TF.

Wii U has blown its load as far as the gamepad. Most disappointing thing about the console is that Nintendo released without the faintest freaking clue what to do with the pad.

I actually think the tablet game controller is a great idea.
Sure outside of it fundamentally not having any real purpose in 99.9% of the games available on the thing. There's Wonderful 101 and ZombiU. Everything else is pretty much playable on a standard pad or the Wiimote. Its much in the same wheelhouse as Kinect or Move for me at this point and I own and like the console.

Wii U has blown its load as far as the gamepad. Most disappointing thing about the console is that Nintendo released without the faintest freaking clue what to do with the pad.

I couldn't agree more.

bionic77

I agree (though I have not played a lot on the console to be fair).

At the very least they should have put a lot of content on both screens like Kid Icarus did. I think every game could be improved that way with 2 screens. Even if they are simple 2D animated graphics it just makes things more exciting. At least it did on the DS and 3DS.

Dragon

Banned
LOL at WiiU already blowing its load, Zelda U hasnt even come out yet, or Mario Universe. WiiU has tons of games left. I am sure we will get a Metroid on the WiiU as well.

You ridicule me and then mention only two games while speculating on a third. All the big IPs are already on the system besides Zelda.

Edit: That said, I'll be getting it for X anyway, because I fucking love Tetsuya Takahashi.

I love off-TV play so I don't really care when the gamepad isn't used in a special way. ZombiU was fantastic, though.

You ridicule me and then mention only two games while speculating on a third. All the big IPs are already on the system besides Zelda.
Mario Kart, Smash Bros...?

I agree (though I have not played a lot on the console to be fair).

At the very least they should have put a lot of content on both screens like Kid Icarus did. I think every game could be improved that way with 2 screens. Even if they are simple 2D animated graphics it just makes things more exciting. At least it did on the DS and 3DS.

That's what I thought they were gonna do - turn the console into a giant DS. I've said this before but IMO the best game on the console is Zombi U since it plays to the console's strengths perfectly. Too bad it sold like shit.

That's what I thought they were gonna do - turn the console into a giant DS. I've said this before but IMO the best game on the console is Zombi U since it plays to the console's strengths perfectly. Too bad it sold like shit.
To me a game is good if a game is good, regardless of how many special features of the console it uses or whatever. I hate the whole, "it's a great game, but is it a great Wii U game?" mentality.

Smash is on 3DS this time, I think it's going to be interesting to see the sales between the two versions. I'm sure MK will do gangbusters.
It's an interesting situation. I have a good friend in the UK that recently sold off his Wii U (the console is all but dead there) so that he could buy himself a 3DS. His reasoning to me was "I can get these experiences on the 3DS...what do I need the console for?"

.... he isn't wrong.

To me a game is good if a game is good, regardless of how many special features of the console it uses or whatever. I hate the whole, "it's a great game, but is it a great Wii U game?" mentality.

Sure but the onus is on Nintendo to justify the existence of the thing, no? Look at what I posted above. What's the differentiator? I can just go out and buy a 3DS with a far greater library and the same Nintendo experiences.

Just as Microsoft has to justify the added cost and existence of Kinect, Nintendo isn't exempt in that equation. Regardless of how good that core game is.

There are 3 consoles. If Nintendo wants games on theirs they have to be unique in some way, as the last 18 months have made painfully clear.

It's stupid, but it's reality.

Sure but the onus is on Nintendo to justify the existence of the thing, no? Look at what I posted above. What's the differentiator? I can just go out and buy a 3DS with a far greater library and the same Nintendo experiences.

Just as Microsoft has to justify the added cost and existence of Kinect, Nintendo isn't exempt in that equation. Regardless of how good that core game is.
Like I said, off-TV play is enough for me personally. The gamepad is already justified with that alone. Regardless, this is a complaint about the console and should not be held against specific games like DKC:TF or Super Mario 3D World. It's absolutely absurd when a review of a Wii U game knocks the game for not using the gamepad in an innovative way. It would be the same as someone knocking Titanfall for not having innovative Kinect implementation. Bottom line: it's a system issue, not a game issue.

I disagree that the 3DS offers the same experiences. Similar sure, but 3D World is a big step up from 3D Land, in my opinion, and there is plenty of original stuff like TW101, Pikmin 3, and DKC:TF. Even with Smash Bros. the versions will have tons of differences and it would be crazy to think that the 3DS version will be better unless they just completely screw up on the Wii U version somehow.

I understand the sentiment but I think it paints with too broad a brush. Perhaps that's just because I'm a big Nintendo fan, though.

There are 3 consoles. If Nintendo wants games on theirs they have to be unique in some way, as the last 18 months have made painfully clear.

It's stupid, but it's reality.
Are we talking sales or personal opinion here? I was thinking the latter. I don't think Nintendo needs gimmicky ideas to make their games stand out from the competition. No one else is out there making platformers as good as Super Mario 3D World.

bionic77

The 3DS does shit all over the U, but the same can and should be said of all other consoles.

After the first few slow months the 3DS has been an absolute beast and puts all other consoles to shame. Not a surprise for those paying attention. I thought the DS was the best console last gen and the 3DS is well on its way to keeping the crown for this gen.

And the Wii U controller I feel is more of a Nintendo failure than a failure of the technology. An idea can be good and it can still fail if the company fails to execute. The Oomu or whatever the fuck it is called, little console box, is clearly the future of games to me, but even if they are right about where the market is heading it won't help if the product and content are shit. I know gamers hate hearing this but since no one is focused in improving AI and physics I think we have reached a point where graphics are good enough.

MechDX

I think it's funny how people think I am doing a tv show. I play football that's it! What my future wife does is her business #worryaboutyou--McCarron Twitter

Comes off as an arrogant douchebag IMO

I disagree that the 3DS offers the same experiences. Similar sure.
For the vast majority of people with $250 in their pockets to put towards a new console, similar is likely to win the day. Wonderful 101 and ZombiU isn't selling anyone a system. That's not my own commentary, that's already proven out on the market. If you enjoy Nintendo IP, you can get a 3DS and enjoy a library of games that will likely satisfy that itch for the IP's you love at a cheaper price. Hell, get a 2DS and its even less money upfront.

No one else is out there making platformers as good as Super Mario 3D World.
No one is buying the platform its available for so what does it matter?

Remove emotion and personal subjectivity from the equation and its just the reality of the situation.

For the vast majority of people with $250 in their pockets to put towards a new console, similar is likely to win the day. Wonderful 101 and ZombiU isn't selling anyone a system. That's not my own commentary, that's already proven out on the market. If you enjoy Nintendo IP, you can get a 3DS and enjoy a library of games that will likely satisfy that itch for the IP's you love at a cheaper price. Hell, get a 2DS and its even less money upfront.
In terms of the mass market I agree 100%. The Wii U is basically dead. These discussions always get confusing because I can't tell if we're talking about personal opinion or sales to a mass market. I have a 3DS and a Wii U and I enjoy both of them, I don't think the 3DS has detracted from my enjoyment of the Wii U games I own and I don't think it would do the job by itself.

You guys are all, "it's disappointing how Nintendo doesn't know how to use the gamepad" and then suddenly we're talking about sales, haha.

These discussions always get confusing because I can't tell if we're talking about personal opinion or sales to a mass market.
I'm talking an objective view of the market as it exists with two big competitors sitting alongside the Wii U.

Subjectively? Come on, man. You know I love me some Nintendo games.:) It's why I own the thing!

You guys are all, "it's disappointing how Nintendo doesn't know how to use the gamepad" and then suddenly we're talking about sales, haha.
...because one of the reasons the Wii U has failed is because it lacks any real identity. The gamepad is supposed to be the differentiator and Nintendo hasn't done anything with it. Sort of dovetails into a sales discussion:D.

I'm talking an objective view of the market as it exists with two big competitors sitting alongside the Wii U.

Subjectively? Come on, man. You know I love me some Nintendo games.:) It's why I own the thing!

...because one of the reasons the Wii U has failed is because it lacks any real identity. The gamepad is supposed to be the differentiator and Nintendo hasn't done anything with it. Sort of dovetails into a sales discussion:D.
I thought we were just talking personal opinion. I agree with all the sales stuff obviously, the Wii U is indefensible as far as that goes.

Are we talking sales or personal opinion here? I was thinking the latter. I don't think Nintendo needs gimmicky ideas to make their games stand out from the competition. No one else is out there making platformers as good as Super Mario 3D World.

The first party offerings do not leverage the gamepad at all. If I can't count on Nintendo to utilize their own device why did I shell out 350 dollars for it?

I understand you like Nintendo games. I do as well. I just happen to also think that Nintendo is at its worst when it's just cranking out franchises as opposed to at least trying to harness something new.

People called the Wii a gimmick but Wii Sports was built for that console and as such couldn't have existed anywhere else. The gamepad conversely is clearly a gimmick. Nintendo may as well have gone for sheer power on the console if they had no plans beyond off TV play. 3d World could easily have been a PS4 game save for it being a Nintendo franchise.

Don't worry! It'll be Revis versus Odell Beckham or Brandin Cooks the next week. Eagles won't go into the season with Maclin as their #1.

That does nothing for me. In the history of the NFL 3 rookie WRs have had 1300 yard seasons, and I believe 8 have had 9 or more TDs. Eagles could use all 6 picks on WRs and not get one that is even close to what DJax was. No matter who they get I will be upset. This is the first time I can ever remember not being excited about the draft. They will draft a WR who will contribute little to nothing, the offense will take a huge step backwards and the defense wont improve because they have to waste draft picks on offense. Thanks Chip!

andthebeatgoeson

That does nothing for me. In the history of the NFL 3 rookie WRs have had 1300 yard seasons, and I believe 8 have had 9 or more TDs. Eagles could use all 6 picks on WRs and not get one that is even close to what DJax was. No matter who they get I will be upset. This is the first time I can ever remember not being excited about the draft. They will draft a WR who will contribute little to nothing, the offense will take a huge step backwards and the defense wont improve because they have to waste draft picks on offense. Thanks Chip!

Can we talk about firing Chip, yet? It's Andy Reid all over again. I mean, he's worse than Reid at this point. Reid took many years before getting rid of his best receiver. Chip is well ahead of that schedule.

Can we talk about firing Chip, yet? It's Andy Reid all over again. I mean, he's worse than Reid at this point. Reid took many years before getting rid of his best receiver. Chip is well ahead of that schedule.

If the offense does go backwards and they fail to win a playoff game again the fanbase will explode. Chip has definitely put a huge target on his back with this move. I really worry that it is going to blow up in his face.

The first party offerings do not leverage the gamepad at all. If I can't count on Nintendo to utilize their own device why did I shell out 350 dollars for it?

I understand you like Nintendo games. I do as well. I just happen to also think that Nintendo is at its worst when it's just cranking out franchises as opposed to at least trying to harness something new.

People called the Wii a gimmick but Wii Sports was built for that console and as such couldn't have existed anywhere else. The gamepad conversely is clearly a gimmick. Nintendo may as well have gone for sheer power on the console if they had no plans beyond off TV play.
Ideally I would have liked the Wii U to have the hardware of a PS4. I think Nintendo is at their best when they are focusing on making quality games with standard controls but I understand that approach has gotten stale for many people.

I don't take any issue with your opinion as it relates to the console, I just don't like when people act like not using the gamepad in some innovative way is a legitimate knock against a specific Wii U game. If you think DKC:TF is boring, derivative, and a rehash that's fine, but simply saying it's flawed because the gamepad goes black when you play it is absurd.

And by the way, most of the best DS games used the bottom screen for peripheral stuff like menus and maps.

andthebeatgoeson

If the offense does go backwards and they fail to win a playoff game again the fanbase will explode. Chip has definitely put a huge target on his back with this move. I really worry that it is going to blow up in his face.

I'm in. Tell me where I can get my newsletter and sign. I'm halfway joking but I agree. I don't like the move. It was the worst option. I'm not a big Desean defender but they made me sympathetic to him. Especially with the bullshit gang angle. Now, he'll kill us twice a year.

Ideally I would have liked the Wii U to have the hardware of a PS4. I think Nintendo is at their best when they are focusing on making quality games with standard controls but I understand that approach has gotten stale for many people.

I don't take any issue with your opinion as it relates to the console, I just don't like when people act like not using the gamepad in some innovative way is a legitimate knock against a specific Wii U game. If you think DKC:TF is boring, derivative, and a rehash that's fine, but simply saying it's flawed because the gamepad goes black when you play it is absurd.

And by the way, most of the best DS games used the bottom screen for peripheral stuff like menus and maps.

I don't think that's a flaw with the game, I think that's a flaw with the console.

I don't think that every game should leverage the gamepad. In fact, I think the DS really hit its stride when developers realized they didn't need to harness every feature the DS had to make good DS games. The problem is NONE of Nintendo's first party offerings use the gamepad in an interesting way besides off TV. Not one. And they have nothing in the pipeline that uses it. Third parties I understand, but Nintendo? Releasing some shit to keep up with the Jones' then not supporting it is something I expect with Sony and Microsoft, not Nintendo.

You guys are seriously still talking about Desean Jackson? HIs days were numbered the minuted he signed that massive contract. Eagles have never thought Wide Receivers were worth that kind of money and they weren't about to start with Chip.

BigAT

Bky_Hs3CQAAA2oR.jpg

Where's the "not a good NFL quarterback" bag?

I might have to go to the Pro Bowl game since it's here and season ticket holders get first crack at tickets (along with pro bowl season holders). It's the Pro Bowl but I bet it's pretty fun to go to in person plus it was more competitive last year so maybe the defensive trend will continue. I'm sure they noticed the increased viewings last year so that shouldn't be an issue.

As someone that has owned every major Nintendo console ever made except the Wii U and has always loved them, I really don't see a single reason to own it if you have a 3DS. Most major entries come out on the 3DS and the 3DS gets stuff the Wii U doesn't. What games on the Wii U are really worth buying the system for when you already have a 3DS? Mario 3D World is one of it's best games on it and while fun with friends, it's essentially a safe and lazy mail in as it's more or less an unscaled version of 3D Land with a few more features. It felt like a huge step back from Galaxies which genuinely felt like progression for the series. Donkey Kong, another fun game but it's the same exact shit that was on the Wii and now 3DS, just a different look. So what's left? Pikmin and Wonderful? Hardly system sellers. MK will be on the 3DS, Smash will be on the 3DS.... So basically you have Zelda U to look to and that's damn near it. Personally was extremely disappointed with Skyward Sword so I'm skeptic for now on that title as well. I WANTED to desire the Wii U but the Wii started a terrible down trend for me and they did nothing to restore it with this iteration. Third party developers still won't buy in so why should I? 3DS is the true "next gen" Nintendo offering.

Is Psych any good? I watched the pilot and got halfway through the second episode and so far it's pretty boring. GAF hypes the shit out of it though, should I just chalk it up to nerds nerding again?

I don't think that's a flaw with the game, I think that's a flaw with the console.

I don't think that every game should leverage the gamepad. In fact, I think the DS really hit its stride when developers realized they didn't need to harness every feature the DS had to make good DS games. The problem is NONE of Nintendo's first party offerings use the gamepad in an interesting way besides off TV. Not one. And they have nothing in the pipeline that uses it. Third parties I understand, but Nintendo? Releasing some shit to keep up with the Jones' then not supporting it is something I expect with Sony and Microsoft, not Nintendo.
That's all I was saying, if it's a flaw it's with the console, not the game.

The WIi U is a mess in a lot of ways, you're right. It is a massive failure in how it was marketed and possibly even the concept itself. I'm just happy enough with it because I can play HD Nintendo games with standard controls.

Mario 3D World is one of it's best games on it and while fun with friends, it's essentially a safe and lazy mail in as it's more or less an unscaled version of 3D Land with a few more features. It felt like a huge step back from Galaxies which genuinely felt like progression for the series.
Opinions and everything but 3D World is probably my favorite Mario game of all time, just an absolutely perfect blend of the 2D and 3D elements of the series. I had so much more fun with it than the Galaxy games.

Also, you know you would buy a Wii U just for X. ;)

bionic77

Is Psych any good? I watched the pilot and got halfway through the second episode and so far it's pretty boring. GAF hypes the shit out of it though, should I just chalk it up to nerds nerding again?
No it is incredibly entertaining.

Stick with it. I was hooked after watching a few episodes. Some of the best chemistry I have ever seen in a tv show.

Colasante

To recap: Alex Mack highly impressed with Jacksonville, wants to play there, will sign 5-year offer sheet by end of week, per ESPN sources.

From Adam Schefter. I hope Cleveland doesn't match it, for Mack's sake. He clearly wants out.

bionic77

I might have to go to the Pro Bowl game since it's here and season ticket holders get first crack at tickets (along with pro bowl season holders). It's the Pro Bowl but I bet it's pretty fun to go to in person plus it was more competitive last year so maybe the defensive trend will continue. I'm sure they noticed the increased viewings last year so that shouldn't be an issue.

As someone that has owned every major Nintendo console ever made except the Wii U and has always loved them, I really don't see a single reason to own it if you have a 3DS. Most major entries come out on the 3DS and the 3DS gets stuff the Wii U doesn't. What games on the Wii U are really worth buying the system for when you already have a 3DS? Mario 3D World is one of it's best games on it and while fun with friends, it's essentially a safe and lazy mail in as it's more or less an unscaled version of 3D Land with a few more features. It felt like a huge step back from Galaxies which genuinely felt like progression for the series. Donkey Kong, another fun game but it's the same exact shit that was on the Wii and now 3DS, just a different look. So what's left? Pikmin and Wonderful? Hardly system sellers. MK will be on the 3DS, Smash will be on the 3DS.... So basically you have Zelda U to look to and that's damn near it. Personally was extremely disappointed with Skyward Sword so I'm skeptic for now on that title as well. I WANTED to desire the Wii U but the Wii started a terrible down trend for me and they did nothing to restore it with this iteration. Third party developers still won't buy in so why should I? 3DS is the true "next gen" Nintendo offering.
I don't give a fuck what people like but your opinions are kind of shitty because I take from this that you never played any of the games that you are hating on. Just say you don't like those games and save us from reading the rest of the crap.

Also Skyward Sword was a brilliant game with one or two really shitty sections. I don't get how people could hate on that game. The sword fighting worked perfectly and just made that game such a great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom