• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I am...so good.

when they show Briennes tiitttttaaaaaays!

Brienne-of-Tarth-game-of-thrones-31362150-639-960.png

i would love to see tyrien and brienne sex scene

squicken

Mike Holmgren on teams that need QBs: "You’ve Got to Take One"

“You’ve got to take one,” Holmgren said Monday over lunch here, a few long spirals from the Seahawks’ training facility.

“You’ve got to, unfortunately.”

In Green Bay in 1992, Holmgren had just gotten the job as Packers coach, and GM Ron Wolf wanted to trade for a backup quarterback who drank too much, and Wolf asked Holmgren what he thought of Brett Favre. Wolf pulled the trigger, but Holmgren approved the trade, because he didn’t think he had a quarterback of the future on his roster. When Holmgren went to Seattle in 1999, he had a choice of either drafting a quarterback of the future or dealing for one, and he chose to trade for Matt Hasselbeck, who led Seattle to multiple playoff berths. In 2010, when he went to Cleveland as club president, Holmgren oversaw the drafting of Colt McCoy and Brandon Weeden, neither of whom played well enough to win the job—and both are gone now.

“Somebody in that group can play, I feel sure of that,” Holmgren said of the quarterbacks in the 2014 draft class. “You list them, you evaluate them, you discuss them as a scouting and coaching group, and you pick one. Now—and this is very, very important—once he’s with you, you never, ever let anyone believe he’s not the right guy, not the quarterback of the future. In the building, obviously, that’s a given. But in public too. Every time you talk about him, he’s your guy.

“But what that can mean, however, and it’s scary, is it can mean if it fails, you fail, and you lose your job. But that’s part of it. You’ve got to be willing to pick a guy and be behind him. Coach your a– off, fix what needs to be fixed, and you might not know what you have after one year or two years, but you’ll know after three years. You’ve got to give him a real chance.”

I agree w/Holmgren. I've always thought the idea of having a QB competition or bringing in someone to "push" the incumbent just hurts the team. If you are going to change QBs, do it like Harbs did with Alex and Felonick: Quick and immediate. Otherwise, always talk up the starter, even if everyone else thinks he sucks. That's what I think Cincy is doing. I really think they are a team to watch for to draft a QB. Maybe STL too

Before they traded for Darren Sproles, the Eagles first tried to add a younger, more dynamic weapon to their offense.

The Eagles contacted the Bills this offseason with hopes of trading for versatile Pro Bowl running back C.J. Spiller, according to two league sources familiar with the situation. The Bills weren’t interested in moving Spiller, both sources said, and talks never heightened into an offer.

But it’s clear that the Eagles were looking to add a different dimension to their offense as they prepared to part ways with Pro Bowl wideout DeSean Jackson, another indication that Chip Kelly had planned to move on from Jackson well before the team released him March 28.

Reports that the Saints were prepared to release Sproles first surfaced March 7, so the Eagles had likely spoken to Buffalo officials in February about trying to acquire Spiller, the former Clemson star who was the ninth overall pick in 2010.

It’s obvious why the Bills wouldn’t want to deal Spiller, one of the NFL’s better pass-catching running backs and an excellent returner.

Spiller, 26, has 3,021 career rushing yards, 1,070 receiving yards, 1,157 kick return yards and 302 punt-return yards to go along with 18 touchdowns.

Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers is the only other player in NFL history with at least 3,000 rushing yards, 1,000 receiving yards, 1,150 kick-return yards and 300 punt-return yards in his first four seasons.

Spiller’s 933 rushing yards, 1,118 offensive yards and two touchdowns last season were big dropoffs from 2012, when he registered a career-best 1,244 yards, 1,703 offensive yards and eight offensive touchdowns, which is perhaps why the Eagles felt they could pry him away from Buffalo, but Bills quarterbacks were besieged by injuries.

Spiller’s career 5.1 yards-per-carry average is second among active running backs with at least 590 carries, trailing only three-time Pro Bowler Jamaal Charles (5.51).

By instead dealing a fifth-round pick to New Orleans for Sproles, who turns 31 in June, the Eagles still diversified their offense with a pass-catching halfback to complement LeSean McCoy -- the league’s reigning rushing champion -- and a dynamic returner.

Since 2007, Sproles leads the NFL with 13,806 all-purpose yards and ranks first among running backs in receptions (375), receiving yards (3,371) and receiving touchdowns (27). He also has five career return touchdowns on punts (three) and kickoffs (two).

I love CJ, I wished they had gotten him.

it was just 75 degrees the other day

now it is snowing
Greg, two questions:

1. How great is the new Animals as Leaders album? This is a rhetorical question by the way, the answer is "pretty freaking great."

2. What's your opinion on Deafheaven's Sunbather? I realize I am a year late to this party but I tried listening to it and I just don't get it. I see people everywhere talking about how much of a masterpiece it is but it just isn't clicking with me at all. Maybe I just need to give it a few listens all the way through, I dunno.

Greg

if the browns make the playoffs we know the world is ending.
Browns/Bills AFC Championship
Greg, two questions:

1. How great is the new Animals as Leaders album? This is a rhetorical question by the way, the answer is "pretty freaking great."

2. What's your opinion on Deafheaven's Sunbather? I realize I am a year late to this party but I tried listening to it and I just don't get it. I see people everywhere talking about how much of a masterpiece it is but it just isn't clicking with me at all. Maybe I just need to give it a few listens all the way through, I dunno.
1. .

2. I never got into it. It's decent, but it's one of those metal CDs that reviewed well at Pitchfork, so all the people that can't form their own opinions on music buy into everything said about it. (I had to learn this after seeing it pop up on so many AotY lists on GAF)

I know :/
O-H!

2. I never got into it. It's decent, but it's one of those metal CDs that reviewed well at Pitchfork, so all the people that can't form their own opinions on music buy into everything said about it. (I had to learn this after seeing it pop up on so many AotY lists on GAF)
It's just so weird. Obviously the album really broke out for the genre but when I listen to it I don't really understand why. I don't find it an easy listen or especially simple or melodic, it just seems like a wall of muddy noise that was purposefully mixed badly (yay Black Metal?). It's just not an album I would have seen breaking out the way it did. I guess I should just accept your Pitchfork explanation and move on, haha.

ShaneB

This album was mentioned to me when I was introducing Tragicomedy to Metal (he said his coworker went on and on about it), and I listened to it for like 10 seconds and thought it sounded like trash.

Giants update:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 1h

RT @markcraignfl: Former #Vikings DT Kevin Williams in NY meeting with Giants. Had dinner with D-line coach, will continue visit on Tue.

They also have Josh Freeman and Matt Flynn coming in for a workout. Whoever the sign will be there short term while Eli's ankle heals. Though there's a chance they could be competing for the #2 QB slot as Curtis Painter isn't exactly rough competition, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom