• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully future won't have to fill in for half the teams again lol

Thankfully that was only when we tried to do the second round. First round had good participation from what I can recall.

This year, I'd prefer to go the consensus route to so I'm not the only one doing it.

Are these picks able to be collaborative efforts, or just one person?
Collaborative.

For the new page:

MOCK DRAFT ALERT!

Ok, so we're about a week or so out from draft week. I think its about time to start getting folks who want to be involved listed and ready to go. I think Deacon had mentioned wanting to get started the week of the 25th which leaves plenty of time before the draft.

I don't necessarily have to run it again this year. If someone else is interested, please speak up and I'll gladly bow out. If no one else wants to, I'll go ahead and run with it.

Proposed Rules/Guidelines:

- The purpose of the mock draft is to try and best simulate what will happen on draft day. Those choosing for their respective teams should be looking to choose a player that they think their team will choose. This is not about who YOU want, its about what you think your team will do on draft day.

- No trades. Up or down. Too complicated and it will slow things down.

- Your group has four hours to make their selection from the time your team is announced to be on the clock. The only exception is if your teams clock starts overnight of course. At which point the clock starts running at 10AM EST the next day.

(the times here are up for debate by the way, if you guys think 4 hours isn't enough time we can extend it. I'm going by how it was done last year).

- If there is no selection made in that four hour time period 1 of two things could happen:
1. I make the selection for you.
2. The selection can be opened up to NFL-GAF in general and the consensus pick wins. The person with the best write-up for the consensus pick gets it added to the mock draft.

- Along with the regular team/group selections, I was thinking maybe the general NFL-GAF population can do the consensus pick anyways. Maybe have a secondary mock draft happening during that 4 hour time period between actual team/group selections? Just throwing that out there.

So that's my general thinking on it. Any feedback, please post it. For those interested in partaking, please say so and I'll get a list going by team to post prior to the start of the draft. I'm thinking the draft will start on April 25th at 12PM EST.

------------------

Texans - MechDX
Raiders - Mackenzie 92
Cardinals - Squall ASF
Rams - Squicken, B For Bendetta
Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato
Dolphins - chris.trejo, The_Darkest_Red
Bucs - Syrinx
Jaguars - Tamanon
Giants - BigAT, Futurevoid, Draxal, Striker
Browns - BlackGhost
Patriots - Colasante, ActStriker
Eagles - gutshot
Cowboys - Farooq

Nakazato

Larry for godsake if you pick a free safety I'm going to lose it.

To make sure that dosen't happen I will be larry's eric to his ozzie

smokescreen

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
49ers announced they have signed WR Brandon Lloyd to a one-year deal.

THE PRODIGAL SON RETURNS

Striker

I'll help out for Giants-GAF.

Giants update:

They also have Josh Freeman and Matt Flynn coming in for a workout. Whoever the sign will be there short term while Eli's ankle heals. Though there's a chance they could be competing for the #2 QB slot as Curtis Painter isn't exactly rough competition, IMO.
Also appears Giants are looking at Sidney Rice as well as former Viking DT Kevin Williams. Williams would be a good pick up for depth and to help out Hankins. Rice? Meh. Honestly, I'm down with drafting two receivers in the draft to compete with JJ and Manningham.

Former Saint, current Eagle Malcolm Jenkins on Eli:

"I think the problem is he was sacked 39 times, a career high last year. If that continues, Eli’s best days are behind him. If they can protect him, then maybe, but it doesn’t look like it," Jenkins said.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LOL:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802461

a5s916a6ufxe9dtwuv5y.gif

callyoubackbfd1i.gif

http://a.pomf.se/ddrqeg.webm

Draxal

Also appears Giants are looking at Sidney Rice as well as former Viking DT Kevin Williams. Williams would be a good pick up for depth and to help out Hankins. Rice? Meh. Honestly, I'm down with drafting two receivers in the draft to compete with JJ and Manningham.

Jenkins is 100% correct on his problem last year, and thats what the Giants have to fix this year. Its up to Reese and Flaherty to prove him wrong.

edit. Guess I'm in on the draft, although I'd probably agree with the consensus anyway.

Striker

Jenkins is 100% correct on his problem last year, and thats what the Giants have to fix this year. Its up to Reese and Flaherty to prove him wrong.

edit. Guess I'm in on the draft, although I'd probably agree with the consensus anyway.
Reese has done a decent job I think. Signing a swing tackle to help depth, two guards one of which is a starter, and a center. Question marks surrounding Jerry and Walton, and also Snee who isn't as lock to make it, so they still have work to do. Best to grab a C/G in the mid rounds.

As for Jenkins, the part where he's edging the line is the last part.

If they can protect him, then maybe, but it doesn’t look like it," Jenkins said.
Doesn't look like it how?

Crisco

Banned
Man, Aldon Smith's rap sheet reads like a straight up psychopath at this point, especially when you consider the money he's risking with this behavior. Dude should be behind bars, he's clearly not interested in getting help or changing his ways.

Draxal

Reese has done a decent job I think. Signing a swing tackle to help depth, two guards one of which is a starter, and a center. Question marks surrounding Jerry and Walton, and also Snee who isn't as lock to make it, so they still have work to do. Best to grab a C/G in the mid rounds.

As for Jenkins, the part where he's edging the line is the last part.

Doesn't look like it how?

He doesn't think it's enough, and I'm on the fence myself. The problem with Coughlin is that he always inserts one of his own guys to the detriment of the team.

Putting O'hara back in and shifting Seubert back to guard (disaster). Putting Diehl back in over Locklear (disaster but it became a moot point with Locklear's injury).

squicken

Jerry Angelo's five best players in the draft

1. Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn: Robinson is the safest, most talented player in this year’s draft. Gifted tackles like him have a good history of playing well and for a long time in the NFL. Somebody recently compared Robinson to San Francisco’s Anthony Davis, but that’s talking apples and oranges. Robinson is the next Walter Jones, with a rare combination of power and athleticism.

2. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: No receiver has been this electrifying since Calvin Johnson came out of Georgia Tech. He is big, fast and explosive. Watkins’ after-the-catch yards are unreal. He is competitive and explosive. He has a rare ability and rare skill set in that he can be lethal as both a vertical receiver and in the short game. He’s Sterling Sharp with top-end speed. Watkins saved his best game for last in Clemson’s bowl game win over Ohio State. However, he’s young and will have to be handled the right way. Watkins is sensitive and naive, but he wants to be great and with the right coach and quarterback, he will be.

3. Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo: Not an elite athlete, though his workout numbers would differ, but has an elite package. A combination of size, speed, strength and toughness with top production, as well as durability. People talk about Mack’s marginal coverage skills, but who cares? Linebackers don’t go into the Hall of Fame because of their coverage ability. Remember, Lawrence Taylor didn’t know when to drop or where to drop. The old saying comes to mind when I think about Mack: “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.” He can rush the passer in a variety of ways, has a big motor and is stout versus the run.

4. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: Has it all. When his motor is running, he can’t be blocked by one player. He can win the one-on-one battles with his speed and his moves. He’s scary, in that you don’t know how to play him, so offensives will wind up assigning two players to defend him. That means Clowney is a player that offensive coordinators are going to have to account for and that, in turn, messes with their game plans. But the big question is can you trust him? He won’t play hard 100 percent of the time for 16 games because it’s simply not in his DNA. He’s never had to work for anything and he’s going to be rewarded by being the first or second overall pick, so why should he change his behavior now? You’ve rewarded it! That’s his biggest knock in my book. The key to Clowney is figuring out if he has a pride factor. If so, he’ll set new standards at the position.

5. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: You got to love him, but I wouldn’t touch him unless I knew there was a rock solid plan in place that tailors to his style. It’s not how he measures, it’s how are you are going to play him. Right now, the only coach I would trust to handle Manziel correctly would be Sean Payton and maybe offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh. All three played the quarterback position and know how to both develop signal-callers and develop schemes with the non-conventional types. Manziel is not Drew Brees. Brees made his living in the pocket as a colligate player, Manziel didn’t. Durability will be an issue. He’s not a natural leader, but his teammates respond to him and that’s what counts. Manziel will do more to elevate the overall play of a team right now than any other player on the board.

Talon

It astounds me that Jerry Angelo and Mike Lombardi still get paid to write this drivel considering their respective track records.

dionysus

Yaldog
5. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: You got to love him, but I wouldn’t touch him unless I knew there was a rock solid plan in place that tailors to his style. It’s not how he measures, it’s how are you are going to play him. Right now, the only coach I would trust to handle Manziel correctly would be Sean Payton and maybe offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh. All three played the quarterback position and know how to both develop signal-callers and develop schemes with the non-conventional types. Manziel is not Drew Brees. Brees made his living in the pocket as a colligate player, Manziel didn’t. Durability will be an issue. He’s not a natural leader, but his teammates respond to him and that’s what counts. Manziel will do more to elevate the overall play of a team right now than any other player on the board.

If there is one thing Gary has proved is that he is not adaptable at all. You either give him players that work in his system or the players and his system fail. If this counts as expert analysis all of NFL gaf should be paid to give analysis.

Edit. I didn't even get to the blatant contradiction in his last 2 sentences. Manziel isn't a natural leader. Manziel is best leader in the draft.

bionic77

Its a little early to give up on Eli.

The Giants won 2 Superbowls and have to rebuild now. Though it would make sense to protect your franchise player so he can still play by the time you can put some talent around him. I wouldn't go so far to say that his best days are behind him though.

"8th graders ranging from the ages of 11-15."

Florida.
:lol Florida.

What a shit hole...

MechDX

If there is one thing Gary has proved is that he is not adaptable at all. You either give him players that work in his system or the players and his system fail. If this counts as expert analysis all of NFL gaf should be paid to give analysis.

This. This. This! Why I believe Flacco and Kubiak will be AWESOME

And by awesome I mean comedy gold!

squicken

Edit. I didn't even get to the blatant contradiction in his last 2 sentences. Manziel isn't a natural leader. Manziel is best leader in the draft.

I don't think he says he is the best leader in the draft, just that he gets players to follow him despite not being a natural leader. Think that just ties in to winning and losing. Quiet guys are ice cold assassins when the team wins, and non-assertive when the team loses

dionysus

Yaldog
I don't think he says he is the best leader in the draft, just that he gets players to follow him despite not being a natural leader. Think that just ties in to winning and losing. Quiet guys are ice cold assassins when the team wins, and non-assertive when the team loses

What is a natural leader? We can only know leadership by the effect it inspires in others. One is either a leader or not. Giving him the benefit of the doubt a better word might have been that he doesn't have charisma.

Farooq

Banned
Put me down for the Cowboys. I am sure it will be a collaborative pick with Cash.

Interesting stat though,

Pro Football Talk said:
In 20 of the 25 drafts run by Cowboys owner/G.M. Jerry Jones, he has made a trade up or a trade down in round one. Twenty of 25. Eighty percent of the time, Jones makes a move.

I think if Barr, Donald, Martin, or Jernigan are not there, Trader Jerry will trade back. I know that is against the rules but that is what it looks like to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom