• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jaguars should just rename themselves Seahawks East

The only thing they are missing at this point are the conflicting aromas of Starbucks coffee and hobo hipsters.

revissss.jpg

This is a picture sent to Barstool Sports purporting to be Darrelle Revis waiting for luggage at Logan Airport. Could it be? I doubt it. It looks like him, but it probably isn't.

Photoshop season

cashman

Banned
Looking at this free agency period, I don't really see why any athlete would choose to play football over basketball or baseball. Some of these "insane" deals are fucking chump change.

gutshot

Looking at this free agency period, I don't really see why any athlete would choose to play football over basketball or baseball. Some of these "insane" deals are fucking chump change.

Better odds of making a roster in the NFL than in MLB or the NBA. Also, maybe they like football better?

It's an interesting question. When do some of the athletes that have started to gravitate towards football start going back to baseball, where there's more money, less grind, and a much higher chance of being able to remember your grandkids' names at age 50?

Farooq

Banned

I posted an article earlier that discussed how under paid quarterbacks were considering how important their position is, and how little they get paid compared to baseball players and basketball players. If quarterbacks are underpaid, imagine other positions.

Article: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...s-are-underpaid-and-salary-cap-is-way-too-low

Excerpt from the article:

Newsflash: Relative to other sports, and their collective revenues, starting quarterbacks are an absolute steal, even the most expensive of the bunch. Remember, none of these deals are fully guaranteed for the life of the contracts -- unlike, say, basketball and baseball. All of these guys are potentially one hit away from the end of their career and quite possibly severe mind and body issues in their post-career lives. Their annual salaries are often dwarfed by guys in other professions who risk far less and frankly accomplish far less in relation to the overall success or failure of their franchises.

Only in the past few years have quarterbacks hit the $20M-per-season threshold. So, let's go back to 2000 -- damn near 15 years ago -- when Alex Rodriguez signed a 10-year, $252 million deal with the Texans Rangers, fully guaranteed, to take him above the $25M-per-year stratosphere. Baseball owners would sell their souls to get close to the television revenue and ratings and overall economic dominance that the NFL enjoys, but they have been willing to dole out this kind of money for a long time, to players far less impactful than a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers.

Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw signed a record $30M-a-season deal this winter. Would anyone argue that someone who touches the ball, at best, every fifth day has the same impact as a premier quarterback who in some cases will have his hands on the ball for literally every offensive snap his team runs in any given season? What about that fact that a scourge, Rodriguez, still makes $27 million a season even though his team, the Yankees, would do anything it could to keep him away? Ryan Howard and Josh Hamilton are just two more players who earn more per season than any NFL quarterback ever has. Every year a handful of baseball players get more than any football player ever has, even some who are limited to a part-time role like designated hitter.

JABEE

It's an interesting question. When do some of the athletes that have started to gravitate towards football start going back to baseball, where there's more money, less grind, and a much higher chance of being able to remember your grandkids' names at age 50?

Making it in baseball is hard. Years and years in the minor league, traveling from small town to small town getting paid shitty wages.

Colasante

It just occurred to me that if the Patriots sign Darrelle Revis, it won't count toward the compensatory pick formula since he was cut by the Bucs, which means they could get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for Talib signing with the Broncos without a Revis contract canceling it out. Boy oh boy that would be nice.

It just occurred to me that if the Patriots sign Darrelle Revis, it won't count toward the compensatory pick formula since he was cut by the Bucs, which means they could get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for Talib signing with the Broncos without a Revis contract canceling it out. Boy oh boy that would be nice.

Would they get that pick this or next year?

Making it in baseball is hard. Years and years in the minor league, traveling from small town to small town getting paid shitty wages.

Not exactly true. Some sign big league contracts as part of their deals, and signing bonuses can be pretty large. In football, you play in the minors for free. Elite athletes should start hitting up baseball. Those contracts are actually real.

I am loving what my favorite team the Jaguars are doing. I am probably a little optimistic, but after looking at their schedule, I can see them make a run at the playoffs. The question is what are they going to do with the 3rd pick. I think they trade out and get 2 or 3 picks out of it.

I am loving what my favorite team the Jaguars are doing. I am probably a little optimistic, but after looking at their schedule, I can see them make a run at the playoffs. The question is what are they going to do with the 3rd pick. I think they trade out and get 2 or 3 picks out of it.

Uuuuuuh

So who's the QB?

Still, can't blame somebody for being optimistic!

arty_partyvqsbg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom