• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a complete overreaction just because it's the Raiders. I really don't see what the big deal is. They are concerned about his health and it's a big guaranteed contract, they made a decision, big whoop.

cajunator

Banned
God I'm hating the eagles moves right now...

Shoulda got Revis or Byrd....Just one of them...I would have been happy.

We are going to have another year of making QBs like Matt Cassel look like Joe Montana.

man yall just got revis, I hate the patriots right now.

Jenkins aint all world but hes not the worst yall could do. He has talent and is a physical player. Coached right he could be pretty good. Hes not Byrd but yall dont need Byrd.

Seriously looks like an Arena League jersey.

Lunchbox back already?

Dont confuse me with him. Please no.

remnant

Banned
The raiders coming in have a trashed OL. They let their best OL player go for nothing, and tried to replace him by overpaying a worse player and moving him to a new position, and then backing away not even 48 hrs later.

It's embarassing. This is bush league

Hartt951

Reggie McKenzie needs to be on the chopping block after tonight.

Fucking hell. We lost the season in march
Came here to post how bad I feel for Raider Nation right now.

I have a healthy fan hatred of the Raiders organization, but no teams deserves such incompetence and perpetual suckage. Most cap space in the entire NFL and the only thing the Raiders have done is lose the good players that they had.

Seems like a complete overreaction just because it's the Raiders. I really don't see what the big deal is. They are concerned about his health and it's a big guaranteed contract, they made a decision, big whoop.

All over Twitter it's being said that the perception around the league is that the Raiders backed out of the deal because they had cold feet, that's awful for the Raiders

squicken

I know Silver has issues with the Raiders, but he's trashing them pretty good. I was in your corner yesterday. I thought a lot of it was piling on. But this is bad form.

cajunator

Banned
2014: $1.3 million base salary, $3.5 million cap number

2015: $2 million, $10.3 million

2016: $7.4 million, $9.7 million

2017: $8.6 million, $10.9 million

2018: $8.6 million, $10.9 million

2019: $8.6 million, $8.7 million

- $20.3 million fully guaranteed

- $11 million signing bonus

- $6 million of 2016 base guaranteed for injury only

- 2015 roster bonus: $6 million (guaranteed)

- 2015-2019 workout bonus: $100,000

Salary breakdown for New Orleans Saints' Jairus Byrd

remnant

Banned
This was the free agency every raider fan was waiting for. The plan for 2 years was Reggie comes in, cleans house, saves cap space and this year make real moves. Draft some dynamic skills guy in the draft like Sammy Watkins if he fell our way or groom a potential standout QB.

But all that is gone now. We got worse in free agency. Worse

All over Twitter it's being said that the perception around the league is that the Raiders backed out of the deal because they had cold feet, that's awful for the Raiders

This was the free agency every raider fan was waiting for. The plan for 2 years was Reggie comes in, cleans house, saves cap space and this year make real moves. Draft some dynamic skills guy in the draft like Sammy Watkins if he fell our way or groom a potential standout QB.

It's day 2 dude.. Step back from the ledge. Media is 90% bullshit spin. We lost 3 good players that are replaceable and gained one. Lots of teams are losing their players, not just us.

Raiders brass are out to dinner with 2 pass rushers right now. (Which is kinda funny considering all this supposedly just went down.)

squicken

That does suck. It was always sold the Raiders had to endure two bad years but then they'd be able to sign anyone. Definitely can sympathize with Raiders fans. I really don't know what will happen there

Hartt951

It's day 2 dude.. Step back from the ledge. Media is 90% bullshit spin. We lost 3 good players that are replaceable and gained one. Lots of teams are losing their players, not just us.

Raiders brass are out to dinner with 2 pass rushers right now. (Which is kinda funny considering all this supposedly just went down.)

image.php

Sounds more like Saffold backed out to be honest. Never got on the plane to Oakland, and then immediately signs Rams offer sheet and passes physical. Still don't think it's that big of deal in the scheme of things. Shit happens.

cajunator

Banned

Seriously. We cut like 7 longtime veterans and signed a safety. Not exactly volcanic activity.

Sounds more like Saffold backed out to be honest. Never got on the plane to Oakland, and then immediately signs Rams offer sheet and passes physical. Still don't think it's that big of deal in the scheme of things. Shit happens.

That and it's not like saffold is some elite player that is going to fix an oline. Maybe I didn't see enough of him but in the 2 games I did see he got abused by any of our dlinemen in front of him. Rams had like 18 rushes for 16 yards in the first game against us

You know who else failed their physical today? O'Brien Schofield. And the Giants killed the contract accordingly. And guess what, no one gives a shit.

That and it's not like saffold is some elite player that is going to fix an oline. Maybe I didn't see enough of him but in the 2 games I did see he got abused by any of our dlinemen in front of him. Rams had like 18 rushes for 16 yards in the first game against us

Exactly. Yesterday the media were calling the Raiders stupid for even signing him.

squicken

Didn't play the first game and the Rams outrushed SF the second game 114 to 83 with him at guard. He's a good guard who is injury prone.

Didn't play the first game and the Rams outrushed SF the second game 114 to 83 with him at guard. He's a good guard who is injury prone.

Really? Could have swore he was your RT... Oh well! He maybe a good guard but I still say I would call off a deal with a FA who wanted that kind of money and needed surgery. Maybe different resigning a guy

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 2m

Not a done deal, but I think #Raiders fans will be a lot happier in the morning. Especially if you like pass rushers.

Oh my god, the world is still turning.

Really? Could have swore he was your RT... Oh well! He maybe a good guard but I still say I would call off a deal with a FA who wanted that kind of money and needed surgery. Maybe different resigning a guy

Possible Raiders seeing his damaged shoulder for first time and didn't like it, got spooked, where Rams already know about it extensively.

Hunter S.

I'll give him props for going all in this year. NFL will probably be out of business by the time the cap could fuck them anyways

I am so glad we get to beat the 49ers in the regular season this year at home.

But seriously peace, thinking about the Broncos still sucks right now, a feeling that I am sure is understood mutually in San Francisco.

Duxxy3

I was so wrong. Praise Revis! I'm going to ignore how miserable next offseason is going to be dealing with his next contract, but this moment is bliss.

Gonna miss Talib and his craziness though. He may have had his ass handed to him by Steve Smith, but god damn was that entertaining.

squicken

He started the year at RT, got hurt, Rams were sick of him being injured all the time, tried him out at guard, he was awesome, everyone else on the line got hurt and he had to move around.

But they need 3 guards b/c he is hurt so much. They are looking at Davin Joseph. That's fine if he is a backup and has no more MRSA

Sanjuro

I can't remember Talib doing anything crazy.

He came here, was a reformed cancer case, and didn't show up when it mattered.

Bring back Troy Brown!

Colasante

I can't remember Talib doing anything crazy.

He came here, was a reformed cancer case, and didn't show up when it mattered.

Bring back Troy Brown!

I loved his interviews and the swagger he brought to the defense, and he and LeGarrette Blount were funny together. I'll always remember him shutting down Jimmy Graham in the Saints game. We hadn't had that kind of dominant defensive performance from a Patriot in years. But he did always shit the bed when he was needed most. Hopefully Revis can stay healthy and prove useful in the playoffs, unlike Talib.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I loved his interviews and the swagger he brought to the defense, and he and LeGarrette Blount were funny together. I'll always remember him shutting down Jimmy Graham in the Saints game. We hadn't had that kind of dominant defensive performance from a Patriot in years. But he did always shit the bed when he was needed most. Hopefully Revis can stay healthy and prove useful in the playoffs, unlike Talib.

I'll say it again, it was pretty clear jimmy was hurtin that game.

Sanjuro

I wouldn't say he was crazy, interviews were definitely a change of pace, but still safe.

I think as a whole, I miss that old Patriots defense. That is probably the most frustrating part of watching the games nowadays.

Teams that have done nothing in the period since free agency started have still done better than the Raiders. Hell, it's impossible to do worse.

I feel bad for Raiders fans (at least the non-murderous ones).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Teams that have done nothing in the period since free agency started have still done better than the Raiders. Hell, it's impossible to do worse.

I feel bad for Raiders fans (at least the non-murderous ones).

Ehh sounds like they've landed tuck and woodley. They'll be fine as far as getting to the cap floor. They just can't spend recklessly to make sure they get there.

MRSA

Banned
Okay, I still think Reggie is an idiot but he can redeem himself. What can easily be done is to front load a contract that the Browns can't match for Alex Mack, kick Wiz out to LG and extend his contract.

Sure up the d-line as well by signing a fat boy like Raji and/or Melton. The DE market sucks, but they can find some rotational players.

squicken

Okay, I still think Reggie is an idiot but he can redeem himself. What can easily be done is to front load a contract that the Browns can't match for Alex Mack, kick Wiz out to LG and extend his contract.

Don't know if this matters, but Mack's agent is the father of the VP/cap guy of the Rams

Ehh sounds like they've landed tuck and woodley. They'll be fine as far as getting to the cap floor. They just can't spend recklessly to make sure they get there.

It's just flat-out ridiculous that with the amount of great players they did have, all of them left and all they could get are maybe Tuck and Woodley (and that's assuming neither backs out). I don't understand how anybody here or anybody period could be fine with that! $60 million to spend, Veldheer and a bunch of others to resign, talented people to replace them with if you stupidly decide not to do the previous, and somehow they do none of the above.

And that's not even counting the Saffold stupidity, which judging by 90% of the beat writers is their own fault for overreacting to his shoulder which will probably need surgery which is totally doable (WITH full recovery at that) long before preseason when he'll be needed. Even if he sucks, he'd be there, which is more than can be said for the half of the roster that's now unemployed or elsewhere.

I just hate seeing shit like this happen to teams like the Raiders, Browns, or Lions, and the fans blame everybody BUT the idiots running things and in charge of making these idiot decisions in the first place. Once? Accidents and mistakes happen. Twice or three times? Maybe understandable. But after the millionth time these idiots do things idiots would do, at some point you have to stop giving the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom