• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSA

Banned
Don't know if this matters, but Mack's agent is the father of the VP/cap guy of the Rams

He is the best lineman still available it just needs to happen. Wiz is a great center but he's also a great guard. So it'll shore up two positions and adds insurance.

I know its early, but Reggie really did fuck up by letting Veldheer walk.

Striker

He was a way overpaid role player anyways.
We don't know how much was guaranteed. It was probably little, like it is for Jennings and Schwartz. People were mad at Reese last year for his 4 yr, 14M deal to Brandon Myers and it was practically a one year deal.

He was most likely going to start at ROLB and get some action rushing the passer on 3rd and longs. I kind of would rather see him in there than Spencer Paysinger or some other bum. At least they brought back Beason.

It's just flat-out ridiculous that with the amount of great players they did have, all of them left and all they could get are maybe Tuck and Woodley (and that's assuming neither backs out). I don't understand how anybody here or anybody period could be fine with that! $60 million to spend, Veldheer and a bunch of others to resign, talented people to replace them with if you stupidly decide not to do the previous, and somehow they do none of the above.

And that's not even counting the Saffold stupidity, which judging by 90% of the beat writers is their own fault for overreacting to his shoulder which will probably need surgery which is totally doable (WITH full recovery at that) long before preseason when he'll be needed. Even if he sucks, he'd be there, which is more than can be said for the half of the roster that's now unemployed or elsewhere.

I just hate seeing shit like this happen to teams like the Raiders, Browns, or Lions, and the fans blame everybody BUT the idiots running things and in charge of making these idiot decisions in the first place. Once? Accidents and mistakes happen. Twice or three times? Maybe understandable. But after the millionth time these idiots do things idiots would do, at some point you have to stop giving the benefit of the doubt.

Wait one second, "ridiculous the amount of great players they did have"? Who were these great players? I liked Veldheer and Houston, but no way are they great players, and the rest of the roster ranges from average to garbage. If you are talking about prior to this past year, the roster wan't very good either. The only great player that I could think of that left was Nnamdi, and he instantly became garbage. The Raider roster was overpriced and below average for years, now at least it's no longer overpriced. (And I say this as someone who's NOT a Reggie fan)

Boose

Rams don't think he does. His agents and their doctors didn't think he does. Fine by me. Back in STL making good money but a lot of it has injury protection

Really don't know what the hell happened. I'm happy with him being back as long as his contract has a thousand injury clauses.

Rorschach

Wait one second, "ridiculous the amount of great players they did have"? Who were these great players? I liked Veldheer and Houston, but no way are they great players, and the rest of the roster ranges from average to garbage. If you are talking about prior to this past year, the roster wan't very good either. The only great player that I could think of that left was Nnamdi, and he instantly became garbage. The Raider roster was overpriced and below average for years, now at least it's no longer overpriced. (And I say this as someone who's NOT a Reggie fan)
He didn't say "ridiculous amount of great players." He was saying the opposite. Read it again.

Bowser

2 months of exile finally over! Lurking with all the shit that's gone down has been painful.

Thanks DM for helping me out here bro

tumblr_lxwqmiq4A31r4u9kq.gif

Bill Voth ‏@billvoth 48m
NEWS: Unable to find a trade partner, the #Panthers will release WR Steve Smith today, officially ending his 13-year career w/the club.

Getts handled this like an asshat

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 3m
#Panthers bring safety Roman Harper in for a visit, per league source.

lolwat pls no

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 49s
I'm told Hakeem Nicks is the Panthers' top target to replace Steve Smith. Panthers hope to bring him in for a visit soon.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 44s
With Steve Smith on way out of CAR, Panthers still talking to Hakeem Nicks. Offering deal worth about $4.5M/season. Badly need WRs
me56.gif

MechDX

Oh my god, the world is still turning.

Possible Raiders seeing his damaged shoulder for first time and didn't like it, got spooked, where Rams already know about it extensively.

Pass rushers? Schaub trade incoming...lots of pass rush for the Raiders fans to watch.

Jarnet87

I really don't get the Panthers possibly replacing Steve Smith, one of the most passionate and hard working guys in the NFL, with an no effort bum like Hakeem Nicks. Why not Keep Smith and add Nicks to compliment him. Have to assume they'll be adding a couple receivers trough the draft.

Crisco

Banned
I maintain that signing Nicks to a long term deal would be absolutely terrible. It's a total panic move for a franchise that doesn't need to make any. I won't lose it until the details come out, maybe there is very little guaranteed or something.

gutshot

Eagles writers on Twitter are speculating Sproles may end up being more of a slot receiver here, than a true RB. So he's essentially Avant's replacement.

EDIT: 5th rounder, I guess I can live with that. Was it the 5th we got from the Pats for Sopoaga? Sopoaga and a 6th for Darren Sproles? Not a bad deal.

Eagles writers on Twitter are speculating Sproles may end up being more of a slot receiver here, than a true RB. So he's essentially Avant's replacement.

we didn't need a replacement for Avant, we are stacked at reciever. we are stacked at RB.
we are STACKED on offense.

this team man...

I really don't get the Panthers possibly replacing Steve Smith, one of the most passionate and hard working guys in the NFL, with an no effort bum like Hakeem Nicks. Why not Keep Smith and add Nicks to compliment him. Have to assume they'll be adding a couple receivers trough the draft.

Steve Smith will be 35 years old when the year starts. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions.

gutshot

we didn't need a replacement for Avant, we are stacked at reciever. we are stacked at RB.
we are STACKED on offense.

this team man...

We needed a slot receiver. Neither Maclin or Cooper are good slot guys. Sproles had 71 receptions last year, which is more than everyone on our team except for DeSean.

Bryce Brown and his fumbles have been an issue, so I like the move. 5th round is worth a few seasons of sproles in this offense. Maybe we can make screen passes a thing again.

We needed a slot receiver. Neither Maclin or Cooper are good slot guys. Sproles had 71 receptions last year, which is more than everyone on our team except for DeSean.

no, we don't need a slot reciever. Maclin is sufficient in the slot, what are you talking about?

and even though he (sproles) is a better option at slot, it's not a "need."

the need is SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, CB, OLB. Hands down. Period. To argue that is ridiculous.

Bryce Brown and his fumbles have been an issue, so I like the move. 5th round is worth a few seasons of sproles in this offense. Maybe we can make screen passes a thing again.

what are you talking about? did you even pay attention last season?

MechDX

Dear BOB,

On this day, the anniversary of my birth I have but one wish. Please cut/trade/run over by a stampede Matt Schaub.
Thank You
mech

P.S Bread would also be happy with this wish

Sanjuro

I think it's really hard to say, but I'll take a one year deal like that over what the Broncos gave Talib.

It's the better deal on paper out of the two. I just don't see the position as one where you pay a lone guy a bloated contract. Not sure what else they could have done though.

gutshot

Sproles is on the last year of his contract. So this is essentially a one year rental, unless you think Howie is going to give a 32 y/o RB a long-term deal next season.

So that means they still could/should draft De'Anthony Thomas.

Sproles is on the last year of his contract. So this is essentially a one year rental, unless you think Howie is going to give a 32 y/o RB a long-term deal next season.

So that means they still could/should draft De'Anthony Thomas.

if they get thomas, ALL their other picks need to be defensive players with the way this terrible FA is going.

Or we can just get offensive players to plays safety. maybe thats the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom