• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

BinhxilCcAAPaJU.jpg

Chip is fapping furiously right now.

Fox318

I want to see the Giacomini terms.

He is 2 years old with injury problems. Deal screams Idzik wanting to bring in "his own people".

If Mike Tannebaum was drunk at the wheel, John Idzik is asleep at the wheel.

rando14

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
NE has an option on Darrelle Revis for 2015 at $20 million, per @TomPelissero. Thus if not exercised, no compensatory pick for NE.

Lol yup uh-huh they'll exercise that option, right?

LOL at Tampa Bay being on that list for some reason.

He's exactly the type of guy who would want two shots a year at revenge. Fortunately for us, Cam>>> Whoever the hell starts for them.'

EDIT:
STATEMENT FROM DAVE GETTLEMAN:

When I took this position I knew that difficult decisions would have to be made along the way. To move on from a storied veteran player is probably the most difficult of all. A decision not to be taken lightly. However, after much thought I feel very strongly it’s the right one.

As I’ve stated many times, all decisions I make will be in the long term best interest of the Carolina Panthers. Decisions, either popular or unpopular, have to be made for the greater good and it is imperative to take an unemotional global view.

Sometimes it may appear that short term interests will suffer, and I can assure you we have no interest in taking a step back from our 2013 accomplishments. Nevertheless, like all NFL teams, we are in transition as we try to get into the best position going forward. When Mr. Richardson hired me I promised him that my goal would be to leave the Panthers in a better position than when I came. All my efforts are in that vein.

Over the next few months we will have the opportunities afforded by Free Agency and the College Draft to improve our roster. We also have young players who will get an opportunity. I have great trust in our evaluation process.

Steve had a wonderful career with the Carolina Panthers. I truly wish him and his wife, Angie, all of God’s blessings.

A lot of "I"s in there. Gettleman is owning this decision.

ParityBit

Actually, since it is a roster bonus, this contract is most likely the start of a long term deal. That would be converted into a signing bonus spread out over the life of the contract.

Most likely this means they plan on extending his contract after the season starts, and before the start of the 2015 NFL fiscal year.

TheFatOne

Most likely, and then try to turn that into a long term deal. Next year the Hernandez money comes off the books, and the cap is expected to go up quite a bit. They will have the money, and if Revis is still the best corner in the game they will resign him.
Actually, since it is a roster bonus, this contract is most likely the start of a long term deal. That would be converted into a signing bonus spread out over the life of the contract.

Most likely this means they plan on extending his contract after the season starts, and before the start of the 2015 NFL fiscal year.

Yup. As soon as I heard it on the radio today I knew Revis is going to be a Patriot for a long time.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Time for some Browns Hubbub bub!

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500_zps2d881320.gif

Whitner is trying to recruit Ted Ginn Jr. to the Browns.

Hoyer is working on Edelman.

A deal with Arthur Moats could be coming "soon".

Lastly unsubstantiated rumours we may be going after another TE namely Owen Daniels or Scott Chandler.

Bowser

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Baltimore has emerged as the favorite to land former Panthers WR Steve Smith, per sources.

Meh. Go get a ring Smitty, don't play with Ernie.

MechDX

Time for some Browns Hubbub bub!

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500_zps2d881320.gif

Whitner is trying to recruit Ted Ginn Jr. to the Browns.

Hoyer is working on Edelman.

A deal with Arthur Moats could be coming "soon".

Lastly unsubstantiated rumours we may be going after another TE namely Owen Daniels or Scott Chandler.

And Schaub. Don't forget

Fox318

Only good thing about the Revis signing is that the Patriots aren't very likly to sign more free agents unless all of the Vets take contracts at Vet minimum.

Tenumi

Banned
Bears update:

Dang it, out of all the teams...

All honesty, Young has potential, but he's never played up to his hype. He's gotten quite a bit of pressures, but his sack numbers haven't risen, with his career high being... 3.

With the contract he got, I have to wonder what the Lions offered him or whether they wanted him back at all.

Fox318

Updated OSI standings

1) Broncos
2) Bucs
3) Jags
4) Falcons
5) Patriots

Losers' Bracket:

Panthers are No.1 Overall seed
Cowboys are #1 overall. They are losing players that they owe like 8 million each with no cap room to replace them. Their only hope is to hit it in the drafts lower rounds and Jerreh is horrible at that.

TheFatOne

Only good thing about the Revis signing is that the Patriots aren't very likly to sign more free agents unless all of the Vets take contracts at Vet minimum.

Not true. They can still free up some cap space by restructuring Big Vinces contract or cutting him, and some other cuts as well. Waiting for the pats board cap guru to chime in. When he does I'll have an exact figure of how much money they have to spend.

Edit: Although I don't think they can sign another big deal like Revis. They could still get a solid player.

Cowboys are #1 overall. They are losing players that they owe like 8 million each with no cap room to replace them. Their only hope is to hit it in the drafts lower rounds and Jerreh is horrible at that.

All of the Panthers' rivals are significantly better than they were when the week started.

The Panthers are significantly worse than when the week started. And have no money to fill these enlarging holes. Honestly the 4-12 Jaguars might be in a better spot for next year than the 12-4 Panthers.

TheFatOne

Don't have official numbers but it looks like the Pats have something like 7-10 million in cap space right now before any restructuring.

All of the Panthers' rivals are significantly better than they were when the week started.

The Panthers are significantly worse than when the week started. And have no money to fill these enlarging holes. Honestly the 4-12 Jaguars might be in a better spot for next year than the 12-4 Panthers.

I keep waiting for some official damage control, but nobody is saying a word. Really feels like the wheels are coming off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom