• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Can someone explain the Revis contract, Does he actually have a $20 million option?!?!

Cap value: $7M
Cash value: $12M
Signing bonus: $10M
Roster bonus: $500K ($33.33K per game if on 46-man roster up to 15 games)
Base salary: $1.5M

Cap value: $25M
Cash value: $20M
Roster bonus-1: $12M (earned on April 1, 2015, if club exercises option prior to end of 2014 league year)
Roster bonus-2: $500,000 ($33.33K per game if on 46-man roster up to 15 games)
Base salary: $7.5M

Pats have a ton of cap space in 2015 so pushing 5 million to that year is not really an issue. Saves them some space this year - but the real value of the deal is 12 million.

Essentially this allows the Pats and Revis to work on a long term deal or just part ways without any long term impacts and the Pats can't use the franchise tags.

Sanjuro

You still haven't stated what you prefer them do. Talib walks and we dont' sign Revis what would you want them to do to improve?

I already stated, no clue.

Unlike MLB, we're still dealing with the foolishness of a salary cap and we have a ton of murder money on the books. It's just hard to swallow an additional ten million to not improve the team anymore than the last couple seasons.

MechDX

Unlike MLB, we're still dealing with the foolishness of a salary cap and we have a ton of murder money on the books. It's just hard to swallow an additional ten million to not improve the team anymore than the last couple seasons.

You don't like the cap? You want the Cowboys in the Superbowl every damn year with maybe ten total teams actually competing?

ParityBit

The way the Pats got Revis to sign so fast was to give him a big payday, with a poison pill added to the contract (loss of 5 million if not on the roster second year, and no franchise because of the option year) so that they can work on an extension outside of the free agency period.

So is Steve Smith done?

I get the theory that they needed to let him go so that Cam could gain full control of the team...but surely they could deal with that if he was a top receiver (which, as I understand, he is).

Is he washed up/in steep decline or something?

eznark

Banned
What production? He put up 199 yards last season and spent most of it injured. His season high prior to that was 599/4 TD's.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy as a player and I think he could potentially be a weapon but that's a strong commitment for potential. I guess if you have FA money to burn.

Victor Cruz has a 7.4 million cap hit against 5.8 for Hawkins this season. I mean, yeah.

Abysmal franchise tax. Browns have to pay lots more to get a guy away, even from the fucking Bengals.

Sanjuro

You don't like the cap? You want the Cowboys in the Superbowl every damn year with maybe ten total teams actually competing?

If the team has the resources and the desire, why not let them?

I mean, the NFL with the salary cap has lead to an AMAZING amount of parity!

Tom Penny

I guess you need to quit watching NFL and watch MLB were you can just outbid to get talent or the NBA were you can try to have a secret dinner and conspire a superteam.

I hope you are right. I am more worried that Revis might allow them to change up their schemes and be more aggressive on defense. Pats were at their best last year when they went power running, and I am worried that they will do more of that this year with an improved defense they will make sure they are in games. I would have much rather had the Pats go all offense with Brady at QB.

We can only hope.

And Miami needs to get off it's ass and take them down already.

TheFatOne

Why do you think that? Do you think that all rookies get better their 2nd years? Lots of guys draft bust out of the NFL after a few years without ever improving.

The dead corpses of Vince Wilfork/Mayo/Kelly would be an upgrade over the guys they had last season. The rookies who knows.

They're showing SBXXXVIII on NFLN right now

index.php

MechDX

Because the we would be MLB and that is soooo popular right now.

Salary cap goes away this is all that is left: Both NY teams, NE, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Miami and both future LA teams because two would quickly move there as a revenue generator

Having GB, Indy (even though it's a shithole! :p) Cindy, Pittsburgh etc... Make the league fun, historic and diversify its fanbase

Salary cap goes away this is all that is left: Both NY teams, NE, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Miami and both future LA teams because two would quickly move there as a revenue generator

Having GB, Indy (even though it's a shithole! :p) Cindy, Pittsburgh etc... Make the league fun, historic and diversify its fanbase

No Philadelphia or Washington? jnc

Sanjuro

I guess you need to quit watching NFL and watch MLB were you can just outbid to get talent or the NBA were you can try to have a secret dinner and conspire a superteam.

Why would I do that again? I don't believe it should be in any sport.

There is no indication that those teams would be worse off.

On my phone, my bad add those two. Fact is all those smaller market teams are basically gone with no cap. Also if the cap goes revenue sharing goes right along with it.

So true, no cap would be a total disaster for the NFL. I cant believe people want it to be like baseball, the Yankees sign 3 of the top 4 free agents every time they miss the playoffs with no repercussions. Jerry would do that shit every single year, unless you are a Cowboys fan I cant see why you would want that.

Bowser

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
Hakeem Nicks is visiting #Colts tomorrow (as he told @JosinaAnderson), and the #Panthers and #Chargers are in the mix. Nerves in Carolina.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 52s
With Hakeem Nicks visiting Indy, #Panthers have renewed interest in Brandon LaFell, who left NE without a deal. LaFell is in Charlotte today

Neil-Patrick-Harris-Gun-to-Head.gif

Sanjuro

So true, no cap would be a total disaster for the NFL. I cant believe people want it to be like baseball, the Yankees sign 3 of the top 4 free agents every time they miss the playoffs with no repercussions. Jerry would do that shit every single year, unless you are a Cowboys fan I cant see why you would want that.

Spending blindly has worked so well for the Yankees. I mean, they have that one World Series that you can credit it to!

Who did they beat again?

Maybe because not having a hard cap is at the heart of my problems with the NBA today, but this is the most asinine post in some time. Are you really trying to suggest the NFL doesn't have great parity? Really?

1. No team has repeated in quite some time

2. New teams in the playoffs every season

3. Last season was the first to actually have the top 2 seeds make it to the SB because anything can happen in the NFL playoffs

4. The favorites going in to the season almost always blow it whereas in the NBA you can just predict the Heat to win and there's a 98 percent chance it will land

I could probably keep going but it's outright laughable to me to pretend the NFL doesn't have great parity and it is vastly more interesting than Baseball or Basketball right now because of this. Hard cap is NECESSARY for sports and the notion of abolishing it from the NFL is disgusting.

Talamius

Hakeem Nicks is visiting #Colts tomorrow (as he told @JosinaAnderson), and the #Panthers and #Chargers are in the mix. Nerves in Carolina.

With Hakeem Nicks visiting Indy, #Panthers have renewed interest in Brandon LaFell, who left NE without a deal. LaFell is in Charlotte today

Neil-Patrick-Harris-Gun-to-Head.gif

So, we've let Steve Smith walk and our big off season WR acquisition is going to be resigning Brandon LaFell?

Are we SURE Hurney is gone?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Neil-Patrick-Harris-Gun-to-Head.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

If Getts doesn't get a deal done with Nicks there will be hell to pay in Charlotte.

Spending blindly has worked so well for the Yankees. I mean, they have that one World Series that you can credit it to!

Who did they beat again?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? The fact that the Yankees spend like crazy and still fail doesnt matter, what matters is they are still taking away players from teams that cannot afford them. Teams like the Browns would never be able to sign any players if the Cowboys could just spend what ever they wanted. It is bad for sports to not have a salary cap.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? The fact that the Yankees spend like crazy and still fail doesnt matter, what matters is they are still taking away players from teams that cannot afford them. Teams like the Browns would never be able to sign any players if the Cowboys could just spend what ever they wanted. It is bad for sports to not have a salary cap.

The raiders can't sign any players now and they have a lot of room in the cap, if we went with no cap they would fold in a few years.

Sanjuro

Maybe because not having a hard cap is at the heart of my problems with the NBA today, but this is the most asinine post in some time. Are you really trying to suggest the NFL doesn't have great parity? Really?

1. No team has repeated in quite some time

2. New teams in the playoffs every season

3. Last season was the first to actually have the top 2 seeds make it to the SB because anything can happen in the NFL playoffs

4. The favorites going in to the season almost always blow it whereas in the NBA you can just predict the Heat to win and there's a 98 percent chance it will land

I could probably keep going but it's outright laughable to me to pretend the NFL doesn't have great parity and it is vastly more interesting than Baseball or Basketball right now because of this. Hard cap is NECESSARY for sports and the notion of abolishing it from the NFL is disgusting.

Seattle winning was sure different.

The list of champions for the past fifteen years? Not so much.

In this thread. People who are terrified of Tony Romo's team.

exarkun

LaFell is a bum. Im sorry panthers-gaf.

Damn, this thread is moving so fast. Good thing my team isn't doing much, else I would be worried all the time.

How much does Hakeem have left? His play last year left much to be desired.

Lafell as a 1?

SnLQY42.png

Keep it a buck, I'd rather Marvin McNutt than Lafell

Just go ahead and start scouting top 10 prospects in next year's draft.

Damn, this thread is moving so fast. Good thing my team isn't doing much, else I would be worried all the time.

His saving grace is that he's only 26. So he's young enough to where he could get potentially get back healthy and develop into a very good No.1 receiver.

Bowser

I mean he still put up 900 yards in 14 games. Yeah, no TDs and definitely not the way you want a contract year to go, but it's not like he was straight garbage. Fucking Andrew Hawkins just got $3.5m per for 199 yards.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In the end, good organizations still make good decisions while bad organizations still make bad ones. Salary cap helps, even if it could increase a bit more, but you still see bottom feeders because they haven't gotten their shit together.

Talamius

If we had to resign a WR from last year then I'd rather have Ginn than LaFell.

Someone needs to put a GIF together of all the INTs that were tipped off LaFell last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom