• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Yes he is. He has eliminated the best of the best time and time again. Ty should be considered for HOF for sure barring injury Revis will be a lock.

Stupid stats of the day. Oddly enough Talib and Revis have both played the exact amount of games since 2010

Talib 56 games 265 targets 156 rec 2400 yards 58.8 completion rate
Revis 56 games 223 targets 100 catches 1334 yards 44.8 completion rate

I'm not saying they aren't in a similar class, Ty was just simply better. My frustration again comes with the notion that a lone CB will solve our problems. We already have tried this, for an insane amount less, and it failed.

Revis? Yessss!

Also, Drew Bledsoe response to my Tweet! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not saying they aren't in a similar class, Ty was just simply better. My frustration again comes with the notion that a lone CB will solve our problems. We already have tried this, for an insane amount less, and it failed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He's willing to return to the Pats for 6 years for 120 million all guaranteed.

Bargain

xnipx

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Baltimore has emerged as the favorite to land former Panthers WR Steve Smith, per sources.

Meh. Go get a ring Smitty, don't play with Ernie.

Lol. Because clearly the ravens haven't been Super Bowl contenders the past few years....

Tom Penny

To me it appears they are trying to have a good defense instead of trying copy the Colts model after the 06 loss in the AFC chamionship and stacking offense. They lost Talib and upgraded. Of course there is plenty more to do. Pass rush, Safety, WR and TE in that order for me.

Sanjuro

What would you have done instead

I would have signed The Law Firm.

To me it appears they are trying to have a good defense instead of copying the Colts model after the 06 loss in the AFC chamionship and stacking offense. They lost Talib and upgraded. Of course there is plenty more to do. Pass rush, Safety, WR and TE.

Well aware. We just have significantly less resources to attempt to do something more than we have in the past half decade.

Texans update:

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 6m

Garrett Graham agrees to deal Texans.

Also, will the Bucs land another one:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2m

After his visit to Jacksonville on Wednesday, Steelers WR and @tunasweasel's Markman 50er Emmanuel Sanders is visting Tampa today.

Dragon

Banned
How has your off-season gone

giphy.gif

How has your off-season gone

Actually better now. 2 really good ST players, an upgrade at the backup CB position, and a great KR/slot receiver. I would have liked a better safety then Jenkins but technically he is an upgrade over Chung. Eagles have made some good moves. You guys have gotten one player, god forbid he get hurt this year, or his skills decline. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a very risky thing to do.

Actually better now. 2 really good ST players, an upgrade at the backup CB position, and a great KR/slot receiver. I would have liked a better safety then Jenkins but technically he is an upgrade over Chung. Eagles have made some good moves. You guys have gotten one player, god forbid he get hurt this year, or his skills decline. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a very risky thing to do.

It's okay maragos will be your starting safety soon.

MechDX

RT @MarkBermanFox26: Tight end Garrett Graham says he has reached an agreement on a three-year deal with the Texans.

OMT WE DID SOMETHING!!

My Sconi TE!!

TheFatOne

I would have signed The Law Firm.

Well aware. We just have significantly less resources to attempt to do something more than we have in the past half decade.

They can still sign a few good players this off season Sanjuro especially if they can restructure Vince. Still some solid players left. If they can manage a way to get Browner, and Allen or Peppers they can address some of their other needs in the draft. I know it's a big if, but if they get Allen and Browner I would take the hit on offense.

LOL The same can be said about the eagles. Didn't they not have a significant injury last season?

Oh ok

It's okay maragos will be your starting safety soon.

If they could just lock up safety it would change things so much. They went with physical CBs but then they have to play them 10 yards deep cause the safeties cant cover or tackle. I hope they draft 2 good safeties and that Jenkins gets benched here just like he did in NO.

Tom Penny

We just have significantly less resources to attempt to do something more than we have in the past half decade.

Not really. Would you prefer they screw up royaly like last offseason and spend money on Amendola, Leon Washington instead of Woodhead, Adrian Wilson and that Bengal defensive lineman who didn't even play a snap? Revis cap hit is like 7m to Vince's 11...now that a problem.

They can still sign a few good players this off season Sanjuro especially if they can restructure Vince. Still some solid players left. If they can manage a way to get Browner, and Allen or Peppers they can address some of their other needs in the draft. I know it's a big if, but if they get Allen and Browner I would take the hit on offense.

LOL The same can be said about the eagles. Didn't they not have a significant injury last season?

How can the same thing be said about the Eagles? The Pats are banking their season on one guy, Revis. If he doesnt produce for what ever reason they are sunk, they Eagles havent done anything close to that. The fact that they had few injuries doesnt mean anything, Revis has already had major injuries. Clearly the Pats are having a better offseason, but if he doesnt work out then they would be having a terrible offseason.

Doesn't look like its a done deal yet, Bowser:

Josina Anderson @JosinaAnderson · 2m

WR Hakeem Nicks just told me, "I'm flying to Indy tonight. The plan is to meet with the Colts tomorrow."

Chargers are apparently also involved.

Tom Penny

How can the same thing be said about the Eagles? The Pats are banking their season on one guy, Revis. If he doesnt produce for what ever reason they are sunk, they Eagles havent done anything close to that. The fact that they had few injuries doesnt mean anything, Revis has already had major injuries. Clearly the Pats are having a better offseason, but if he doesnt work out then they would be having a terrible offseason.

So there was no risk in signing injury prone Talib 4/40 like they offered. You make no sense.

Sanjuro

Not really. Would you prefer they screw up royaly like last offseason and spend money on Amendola, Leon Washington instead of Woodhead, Adrian Wilson and that Bengal defensive lineman who didn't even play a snap?

Well, that's my point.

Peppers would have to be ridiculously cheap.

TheFatOne

Pats aren't banking on Revis. Revis alone won't win them a super bowl, but Revis plus some more defensive players will certainly help. The old formula of having an elite offense but horrific defense wasn't working so I'm glad they are making changes. The Pats unfortunately have gambled on injured players on offense, and for them to have any shot they desperately need Gronk/Amendola to be healthy. Gronk has a shot, but Amendola won't make it through one full season.
Well, that's my point.

Peppers would have to be ridiculously cheap.

That's why it's really a dream to get Peppers or Allen. They should be able to snag Browner, and some other solid player no problem though. They have to get the Vince stuff worked out though.

Edit: Forgot about Justin Tuck. He could be another option at DE.

Browns got Hawkins:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 1m

#Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins signed his offer sheet with #Browns and wow. Big commitment. It pays him $10.8M over first 2 years. $13.6M over 4

I like Hawkins potential but that's silly money for the guy. Though the guaranteed money may be very low so we'll see.

EDIT:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 56s

#Browns made it hard on #Bengals for cap purposes. $3.8M roster bonus counts this year. In all, $5.8M cap hit for Hawkins Year 1. $5M Year 2

Yeah, silly money.

Revis can only cover one guy, same as Talib did, the pats are right where they were last year or worse if they don't get any offense help, which is totally fine with me.

Tom Penny

Well, that's my point.

You still haven't stated what you prefer them do. Talib walks and we dont' sign Revis what would you want them to do to improve?

Revis can only cover one guy, same as Talib did, the pats are right where they were last year or worse if they don't get any offense help, which is totally fine with me.

So there is a chance they are in the AFC chamionship with a CB that will likely suit up instead instead of miss both AFC chamionships like Talib. Oh well. That pathetic offense was 3rd in the league at 28 per game. Everything on offense revolves around Gronk and there is no Gronk in Free Agency or did the Lions release Megatron?

brentech

Browns got Hawkins:

I like Hawkins potential but that's silly money for the guy. Though the guaranteed money may be very low so we'll see.

i dunno. that doesn't seem too bad over 4 years. barring he goes without injury, he's a productive player and the Browns need that more than anything.

TheFatOne

Yes and no. If Revis goes back to being the best corner in the game again it frees up the Pats to do so much on defense. Talib was awesome but he's not in the same league as Revis when he's healthy. If he returns back to being the Player he once was it's a big upgrade for the Pats. Sure Revis can only cover one guy, but it allows to the Pats to do more things defensively. Can blitz more, or bring an extra guy into the box. Changes the dynamic completely defensively.

Edit: Although for the first few games of the season Talib was on that level. Then he wasn't nearly the same player.
Pats got a good amount of cap space left.

That's also without the restructuring of the Vince contract. They are in good shape if they can get that done.

Edit: And they can still cut guys like Adrian Wilson I believe.

I hope you are right. I am more worried that Revis might allow them to change up their schemes and be more aggressive on defense. Pats were at their best last year when they went power running, and I am worried that they will do more of that this year with an improved defense they will make sure they are in games. I would have much rather had the Pats go all offense with Brady at QB.

i dunno. that doesn't seem too bad over 4 years. barring he goes without injury, he's a productive player and the Browns need that more than anything.

What production? He put up 199 yards last season and spent most of it injured. His season high prior to that was 599/4 TD's.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy as a player and I think he could potentially be a weapon but that's a strong commitment for potential. I guess if you have FA money to burn.

Victor Cruz has a 7.4 million cap hit against 5.8 for Hawkins this season. I mean, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom