• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

The Jets haven't had a quarterback worth a fucking shit in their entire history. The Jets should have to answer. By folding.

Sanchez and Smith have more wins in their worst season than the Browns ever had in their best season during the Holmgren era

Seattle winning was sure different.

The list of champions for the past fifteen years? Not so much.

In this thread. People who are terrified of Tony Romo's team.

So your definition for parity is for every team in the league to get a championship? Of course there are going to be a handful of organizations that get there often because some are run better than others! If you have a quality FO and coaching staff, you can and should have sustainable success. If there is no cap, there is absolutely no need to have a competent office or coaching staff, you just need to have lots of money. Point in case, the Heat.

It is still true that we haven't had a single team dominate the league in the NFL and win repeated championships in succession in recent times, that even the most stacked teams on paper have failed time and time again. The Chickens could win again this year but even then, it won't stretch out to the dominance that you see in other sports and do you know why? Because there's a cap and Seattle won't be able to afford to keep all that talent together. You have your window and take your shot while you have the chance. If you have a great FO and coaching staff you'll get more chances. That's how things should be.

Sanjuro

So your definition for parity is for every team in the league to get a championship? Of course there are going to be a handful of organizations that get there often because some are run better than others! If you have a quality FO and coaching staff, you can and should have sustainable success. If there is no cap, there is absolutely no need to have a competent office or coaching staff, you just need to have lots of money. Point in case, the Heat.

It is still true that we haven't had a single team dominate the league in the NFL and win repeated championships in succession in recent times, that even the most stacked teams on paper have failed time and time again. The Chickens could win again this year but even then, it won't stretch out to the dominance that you see in other sports and do you know why? Because there's a cap and Seattle won't be able to afford to keep all that talent together. You have your window and take your shot while you have the chance. If you have a great FO and coaching staff you'll get more chances. That's how things should be.

If data would lead towards this argument, then I would tend to agree with you. The NBA is the only sport where dominance has lead to specific results, and that sport has a salary cap. Problem is the sport is in a ton of markets where it simply isn't popular and the cap hurts popular teams attempting to rejuvenate fan support.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ideally, you keep together the right talent, pay the right people, draft well to fill in the rest, and develop your talent.

Things just tend to go south in one of these areas eventually.

If data would lead towards this argument, then I would tend to agree with you. The NBA is the only sport where dominance has lead to specific results, and that sport has a salary cap. Problem is the sport is in a ton of markets where it simply isn't popular and the cap hurts popular teams attempting to rejuvenate fan support.

No it doesnt, the NBA allows teams to go over the "cap" to keep their own players. It is a soft cap at best, nothing like the NHL or NFL.

Seattle winning was sure different.

The list of champions for the past fifteen years? Not so much.

In this thread. People who are terrified of Tony Romo's team.

Since 2000

Rams
Ravens
Pats*
TB
Pats*
Pats*
Pitts
Colts
Giants
Pits
Saints
Pack
Giants
Ravens
Sea

Total
Rams (1)
Ravens (2)
Pats (3)*
TB (1)
Pits (6)
Colts (2)
Giants (4)
Saints (1)
Packers (4)
Sea(1)

Bold won their first superbowl/s ever in the last 13 years. Colts won first superbowl since the 60s. Only other teams with a lot of past success are pitts/giants and packers.

Sanjuro

No it doesnt, the NBA allows teams to go over the "cap" to keep their own players. It is a soft cap at best, nothing like the NHL or NFL.

So you're telling me there is no restrictions to signing people? Because it sounds like you're telling me there isn't. A soft cap is still a cap.

Sanjuro

Since 2000

Rams
Ravens
Pats*
TB
Pats*
Pats*
Pitts
Colts
Giants
Pits
Saints
Pack
Giants
Ravens
Sea

Total
Rams (1)
Ravens (2)
Pats (3)*
TB (1)
Pits (6)
Colts (2)
Giants (4)
Saints (1)
Packers (4)
Sea(1)

Bold won their first superbowl/s ever in the last 13 years. Colts won first superbowl since the 60s. Only other teams with a lot of past success are pitts/giants and packers.

That follows the trend of the other major sports except the NBA. Obviously the NFL's history isn't nearly as deep.

Talon

And the penalties for crossing that cap are incredibly harsh, forcing you to pay 2x and then more so the next season for each dollar you're over the soft cap.

Spinluck

Nicks named dropped Luck. We're probably gonna overpay his ass. I don't mind signing him, but I feel like we should still draft a WR.

I don't think the Safety class is all that great this year. Which sucks since Bethea left (even though he sucked in pass coverage last year). After we sort that out, we need a Guard and C then our O-line will at least be average tier.

Our defense is already an upgrade, assuming Mathis still has something left in the tank. We need at least one more pass rusher though.

If my counting is correct, MLB has nine different champions, NHL/NFL have ten.

NHL has a cap.

LOL MLS.

No it isn't. NBA has a cap, MLB doesn't.

While the soft cap allows teams to exceed the salary cap indefinitely by re-signing their own players using the "Larry Bird" family of exceptions, there are consequences for exceeding the cap by large amounts. A luxury tax payment is required of teams whose payroll exceeds a certain "tax level", determined by a complicated formula, and teams exceeding it are punished by being forced to pay bracket-based amounts for each dollar by which their payroll exceeds the tax level.

There is no penalty for going over the cap when signing your players, the only penalty if for going over the luxury tax level just like how it is in MLB.

DMczaf

2 months of exile finally over! Lurking with all the shit that's gone down has been painful.

Thanks DM for helping me out here bro

tumblr_lxwqmiq4A31r4u9kq.gif

The thanks goes to Bish. A bro's bro.

eznark

Banned
Sanchez and Smith have more wins in their worst season than the Browns ever had in their best season during the Holmgren era

We're judging QB's performance based on wins now? Ok. Then why do you want to get rid of Sanchez? He has a .500 record and playoff experience!

Lions
@cmccosky

James Ihedigbo just walked out of building, said the deal is close, hopes to be signing soon. "That's the plan in hand," he said

Ravens fans, how is Ihedigbo?

Sounds like Pettigrew is gone, thus ending his frustrating career here. Great blocker, to the point I think our run game is going to suffer next season...but dude has stone hands. He makes so many amazing catches, then will completely whiff an easy third down conversion.

Willie Young...good riddance. Good luck with the penalties, Chicago.

Sanjuro

But how many have had a lot of past success? 7 of the 10 champions are brand new winners and only 2 of those managed to repeat (pats/balt)

Like I said, it's much harder to do that in sports that have been around over a hundred years.

Arizona, Anaheim, Florida all won their first World Series.
Boston, Chicago, San Francisco (last won as NY Giants) all won their first in a half-century or more.
Philly and St. Louis all won their first since the 70s/80s.
NY 90s.

Fox318

We're judging QB's performance based on wins now? Ok. Then why do you want to get rid of Sanchez? He has a .500 record and playoff experience!

If Sanchez lowered his contract I would have no problem with him staying on the team.

If there was another competition and he won I'd be fine with that.

Like I said, it's much harder to do that in sports that have been around over a hundred years.

Arizona, Anaheim, Florida all won their first World Series.
Boston, Chicago, San Francisco (last won as NY Giants) all won their first in a half-century or more.
Philly and St. Louis all won their first since the 70s/80s.
NY 90s.

Alright your argument is sound then, although I still think I'd be bad for business for smaller teams/shit cities nobody wants to play in.

Sanjuro

Alright your argument is sound then, although I still think I'd be bad for business for smaller teams/shit cities nobody wants to play in.

It's tougher at the moment, as almost every NFL team is pretty successful. People seem terrified of the Cowboys, but they have the resources and fan support. If a team has neither one of those things, I have no regrets seeing them spend less or obtain lesser talent.

Bus update:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Paging Oakland and Washington: Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced they have released veteran OT Donald Penn.

Pack update:

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN 33s
RT @RobDemovsky: #Packers have re-signed TE Andrew Quarless, the team announced.
Expand

Quarless was on the Giants radar as well. Pettigrew will likely go to the Jets. EBRON FUTURE!!

...so, basically you're saying it's not like MLB. Again, MLB doesn't have a cap.

MLB has a luxury tax threshold, if you go over it you get punished. In the NBA there is a "cap" but you can go over it, in fact they have a million different exemptions you can use to go over it, they also have a luxury tax threshold that if you go over you get punished. The only difference is that MLB doesnt have the sham "cap" part.

Bowser

Bill Voth ‏@billvoth 2m
Now on WFNZ, Steve Smith on possibly playing vs #Panthers: “Put your goggles on cause there’s going to be blood and guts everywhere.”

NE1G5.gif

Sanjuro

MLB has a luxury tax threshold, if you go over it you get punished. In the NBA there is a "cap" but you can go over it, in fact they have a million different exemptions you can use to go over it, they also have a luxury tax threshold that if you go over you get punished. The only difference is that MLB doesnt have the sham "cap" part.

It's not a sham. One has a cap, the other doesn't. Fairly simple. :jnc

NBA is just less popular, more teams that nobody cares about. They attract nobody.

Let me revise then to saying every sport should have a hard cap. Only thing that would save the NBA. The problem is more prevalent in the NBA than the MLB in terms of dominance because you only have 5 guys on the court at one time so buying 3 all stars is enough to completely dominate a game. It doesn't change the fact that the lack of cap in the MLB hurts so many franchises and a team like the Yankees can block these franchises from the opportunity to turn their franchise around. Even with a solid FO and coaching staff you can get short handed and not be able to compete because none of the quality players will come to you when the Yankees are offering them triple what you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom