• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatOne

Would that really be their biggest need to trade up?

Would rather they trade up for a Center or Linebacker first. Pats have also started to shift their philosophy with DTs. They are looking for more of a pass rushing DTs now. Not sure if there is a guy like that in this draft. If they did trade up for a DT wouldn't be the worst thing they could do.

I'd rather they not trade up for a DT. They can just get someone at their original spot.

I wouldn't want them to trade up for a DT, but they have a solid track record with first round picks for the most part.

Draxal

Not sure if this was posted yet, but Football Outsiders released their SackSEER numbers for the 2014 draft. All time, Peppers and Kearse were 1 and 2 for highest rating. But Khalil Mack is the new number 1

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/sackseer-2014

Both Kiper and McShay have joined Mayock as thinking he could go first overall. Kiper's mock today had Mack first overall to HOU

Think Clowney is the better player overall, but he's a 4/3 right end. Mack's the better fit for a 3-4.

edit.

However I think sackseer/dvoa/profootball focus's stats are complete garbage.

Colasante

If they cut vince you can bet tommy kelly is right behind him. DT would move to the top of needs almost immediately.

I don't think Tommy Kelly is a goner, necessarily. He played well last season and his price is reasonable, although he could still take a small pay cut. His release was more likely when Wilfork was assumed to stay with the team, but now, I don't think they're going to cut Kelly too, just to save around $2 million.

Would rather they trade up for a Center or Linebacker first. Pats have also started to shift their philosophy with DTs. They are looking for more of a pass rushing DTs now. Not sure if there is a guy like that in this draft. If they did trade up for a DT wouldn't be the worst thing they could do.

Aaron Donald is the best pass rushing tackle in the draft. I'd love for them to trade up for him, he'd be worth it. Other than Donald, I'm fine with waiting at 29 and taking what falls to them, since they may get Ra'Shede Hageman or Louis Nix at that point.

Jags deal for Clemons and Hood:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo · 2m

Catching up on Jags deals today: Chris Clemons got $17.5m over 4 yrs, Ziggy Hood got $16m over 4.

Also:

@BobbyBigWheel: The only Giants left from Super Bowl 42 are Eli, Mathias Kiwanuka, Zak DeOssie and Chris Snee.

Times they are'a changin'.

Cards-GAF who is this?
C'mon bitch kitty, you know my name ;) Dray's strength caters more to blocking than receiving but he started to develop a bit more in the latter recently. He puts in the effort and is young but has always been a backup for depth until Housler went down with injuries the past season or so. He's a quality backup or compliment TE but don't expect him to come in and dominate as a starter.
I'm already in agreement that the NBA is off on it's own. Already proven the point that you're very off when comparing MLB/NFL.

No, you haven't. A few examples of franchises that have won despite not having tons of money does not disprove my point. It's still bad for the league, it still is bad for parity, it still gives a massively unfair advantage to certain franchises for a reason that has nothing to do with the sport itself and doesn't lend to talent in any way that relates to the game.

Sanjuro

No, you haven't. A few examples of franchises that have won despite not having tons of money does not disprove my point. It's still bad for the league, it still is bad for parity, it still gives a massively unfair advantage to certain franchises for a reason that has nothing to do with the sport itself and doesn't lend to talent in any way that relates to the game.

It's not a few examples, it's data from a decade and a half and disproves the argument you're attempting to make.

Sanjuro

Rutgers fans outnumbers BCs by a good amount now but alot of that was due to Spaziani.

I don't know anyone that watches BC football. College sports just aren't a huge priority around here.

That is the one discussion I'll never pretend to be knowledgeable about, and that is college sports. The most I watch is some college basketball and hockey. The other variants don't even feel like they exist anymore.

Fox318

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 20m
Jets' Nick Folk, initially franchised b4 landing 4-yr deal, says he doesn't think any team would give up 2 first-rd picks for a kicker #nyj
If only Al Davis was alive

Tom Penny

As predicted. Restructure or released for Vince. It is what it is. His money doesn't equal his value especially coming off an achilles. That's the reality. As far as Kelly goes..he was playing better than Vince was prior to the injury. Both of them together..healthy would have been a force as far as run stopping.

Draxal

Coughlin did coach there after all.

The Maras all went there.

Basically, Wellington Mara used to tell a story of one of his grandaughters into BC as a bribe for letting Tom Coughlin to go Boston College (she was getting in no matter what though).

Fox318

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/13/is...t-heres-how-the-jets-can-salvage-free-agency/

Few good quotes

So naturally, as NFL free agency had the biggest day in the sport’s history – seriously, over $1 billion was spent by teams in a 24-hour window; yes, not all those contracts will be fulfilled, but still – the Jets did . . . absolutely nothing.

Didn’t sign a player.

Optimist in me: John Idzik is being smart! He’s not overpaying bums like the Raiders and Jaguars do! We do not want to be on a list like this in a year or two!

Pessimist in me: Indecisive Idzik should have pulled the trigger on a bigger name somehow by now. The Jets have missed the playoffs two years in a row, have a roster completely devoid of talent, and have money to spend. You gave an ordinary receiver $15 million guaranteed, but Austin Howard got that much guaranteed from the Raiders. Why would you retain Rex Ryan and then not get him any players?

At the NFL Combine, I had three different agents tell me that Idzik “was in over his head.” I assumed they were ribbing me for liking the Jets, but they said his biggest flaw was that he was indecisive; later, someone used the word “glacial” when talking about the pace he moved when making roster decisions. It’s pretty clear they weren’t bullshitting.

I stand by my comparison before.

Tannenbaum was drunk at the wheel, Idzik is asleep

Sanjuro

As predicted. Restructure or released for Vince. It is what it is. His money doesn't equal his value especially coming off an achilles. That's the reality. As far as Kelly goes..he was playing better than Vince was prior to the injury. Both of them together..healthy would have been a force as far as run stopping.

Need to pressure the quarterback. Stopping the run only gets you so far in this NFL.

Draxal

I don't know anyone that watches BC football. College sports just aren't a huge priority around here.

That is the one discussion I'll never pretend to be knowledgeable about, and that is college sports. The most I watch is some college basketball and hockey. The other variants don't even feel like they exist anymore.

I kinda misunderstood your earlier comment as taking at a shot at Rutgers instead of BC. But man BC fell off a cliff earlier and they are starting to climb up a little bit.

I'll be real here though, northeastern fans (the Boswash Corridor) are all frontrunning assholes. If BC were number one in the country, everybody you know would be lifelongs.

A bulk of his sacks were in two games against the Redskins. He's still an excellent run stuffer but his days as a premium two way DE are over. If he can stay healthy, 4-6 sacks in a season are realistic for him.

4-6 sacks and excellent against the run? So he's basically Lamarr Houston...

For a team friendly deal I'm down
Hickey addressing the o-line...

happiness_by_wint3r88.jpg

Colasante

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/13/is...t-heres-how-the-jets-can-salvage-free-agency/

Few good quotes

I stand by my comparison before.

Tannenbaum was drunk at the wheel, Idzik is asleep

I honestly think Idzik has played free agency fine so far. It could be argued that Decker was overpaid, but considering what else the Jets has, it's understandable. I think he's a good addition and if they add James Jones, even better. What did you want him to do that he hasn't done?

I just got out of my car after a 2.5 hour drive, and Nicks is on his way to Indy and we have "renewed interest" in Donald Lafell? And Ginn is now in AZ?

God in heaven what the fuck.

Sanjuro

I kinda misunderstood your earlier comment as taking at a shot at Rutgers instead of BC. But man BC fell off a cliff earlier and they are starting to climb up a little bit.

I'll be real here though, northeastern fans (the Boswash Corridor) are all frontrunning assholes. If BC were number one in the country, everybody you know would be lifelongs.

Oh, no. I've never watched a complete game of either team playing football. I guess the kids around here get pumped about college loyalty, I just don't see myself as an older person giving a shit about kids playing.

If I had any allegiance, it would be a PC Friars basketball fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom