• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talamius

I just got out of my car after a 2.5 hour drive, and Nicks is on his way to Indy and we have "renewed interest" in Donald Lafell? And Ginn is now in AZ?

God in heaven what the fuck.

Here's the list of WRs on our roster who have caught a touchdown in their NFL careers: Pilares. 1. In 2012.

TheFatOne

I don't know how I would feel about Peppers. I feel that he is going to want a better contract over winning right now.

Feel the same way about both Allen and Peppers. Would love to have either of them, but Pats still need to fill a few holes on the team.

JABEE

Don't be mean. Let's try and remember happier times

BiocHKBCcAA4Ix0.jpg

Everyone was so happy back then

Fox318

I honestly think Idzik has played free agency fine so far. It could be argued that Decker was overpaid, but considering what else the Jets has, it's understandable. I think he's a good addition and if they add James Jones, even better. What did you want him to do that he hasn't done?

• Austin Howard should have been locked up along time ago. They still haven't released the terms of Breno Giacomini which lead me to believe that he overpaid.
  • If they were gonna let go of Cro they should have just traded a low round pick to the bucs for Revis's contract. If they were sick of him after one year they could just cut him with no dead money. Also all of the CBs on the market were snatched up in the first day. If they weren't gonna sign somebody they should have just stayed with cro and reworked his bonus.
  • Make up their mind with Sanchez. They could have cut hin and paid for 3/4 of what Revis would have gotten with Tampa.

I don't want him throwing money all over the place but if you notice every free agent that was scheduled to visit the Jets were seeing other teams first. Look at Josh McCown. I want them to build through the draft but he needs to use free agency as a way so they can draft the best player available instead of what they need.

Crisco

Banned
I don't care if Cam has to run 20 times a game and throw the ball to himself: no bad contracts. I seriously think we dodged a bullet with Nicks going to Indy if that story is even true. We're in this mess because Hurney committed a bunch of money to running backs and linebackers, the two most expendable positions in the league. If 2014 is the year we have to pay for his sins, so be it.

squicken

Rick Gosselin @RickGosselinDMN
14 free agents have received contracts of $30 million or more thus far this week. 10 of them have been offensive and defensive linemen.

I'm really curious how FA will influence the draft. It sure seems like you never want to have to go shopping for offensive linemen on the FA market. Even marginal starters like Chris Williams got decent money, and solid guys like Howard and Saffold got big money.

I don't care if Cam has to run 20 times a game and throw the ball to himself: no bad contracts. I seriously think we dodged a bullet with Nicks going to Indy if that story is even true. We're in this mess because Hurney committed a bunch of money to running backs and linebackers, the two most expendable positions in the league. If 2014 is the year we have to pay for his sins, so be it.
How patient will Cam be without targets and protection?

I would love to know what is being discussed behind closed doors. It seems like DG finally bought into Cam, and if the rumors are true, that seems to be one of the reasons 89 was cut. So what is the plan to help him flourish? Hopefully it comes together soon.

The Philadelphia Eagles were rumored to have made an inquiry about Dolphins DE Dion Jordan. Today they opted to sign FA safety Chris Clemons. Formerly of the Dolphins. Immediate contract details are not known at this time.

Last season Clemons took big steps as a professional football player and it was thought that the Dolphins would try to retain him. Instead, the Dolphins opted to go with Louis Delmas prior to the start of free agency assuring that Clemons hit the market. He did, for a grand total of two full days.

I like this move a lot more then the Jenkins move!

Colasante

• Austin Howard should have been locked up along time ago. They still haven't released the terms of Breno Giacomini which lead me to believe that he overpaid.
  • If they were gonna let go of Cro they should have just traded a low round pick to the bucs for Revis's contract. If they were sick of him after one year they could just cut him with no dead money. Also all of the CBs on the market were snatched up in the first day. If they weren't gonna sign somebody they should have just stayed with cro and reworked his bonus.
  • Make up their mind with Sanchez. They could have cut hin and paid for 3/4 of what Revis would have gotten with Tampa.

I don't want him throwing money all over the place but if you notice every free agent that was scheduled to visit the Jets were seeing other teams first. Look at Josh McCown. I want them to build through the draft but he needs to use free agency as a way so they can draft the best player available instead of what they need.

Maybe Austin Howard should have been locked up when his value wasn’t at its peak, but considering where they were at now, with the Raiders willing to overpay for him, the smart move was to let Howard walk. Look at the Patriots, Giants, or Packers- smart GMs are willing to let other teams overspend for their FAs. Right tackles are not the players you get into bidding wars for.

Revis didn’t want to play for the Jets and Woody Johnson didn’t want him on the Jets after the circus that developed with his contract negotiations last time around. Criticizing your GM for a move that was never going to happen doesn’t seem fair or justified.

I feel like you want Idzik to have had a beginning of free agency like Jeff Ireland did last season. The GM you should be looking at for inspiration is Steve Keim or Dave Gettleman from last season. Both waited the market out and brought in the right guys for the right prices- like Abraham and Dansby in Arizona and Florence, Ginn, and Mitchell in Carolina. I can understand being frustrated about Vontae Davis after he was rumored to be heading there, though. It’s possible he’s being overpaid in Indy, but he has superstar potential, and if Idzik could have had him on the same deal and balked, that’d have been a mistake.

If we sign Strief and shelley smith, hickey would have a done a very solid job of fixing our oline woes in one offseason no less, obviously it wouldn't be great but no team has all pros at every position group.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Like your Browns hopes and dreams?

Baby it's the offseason, my hopes and dreams aren't dead until 5 minutes into game 1.

As I was reading the thinking is whatever team signs him will have to make the contract so much of a poison pill that we have no choice but to let him go...but then that team gets stuck with a poison pill that instead of crippling us cripples them.

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko now
Aqib Talib will be paid 12 million in 2014 .. just like Darrelle Revis .. Win for the #Patriots

This year maybe. If Darrelle Revis plays well, he'll be looking for a big deal again. And the Broncos will still have Talib.

We'll see how it shakes out in the wash.

squicken

This year maybe. If Darrelle Revis plays well, he'll be looking for a big deal again. And the Broncos will still have Talib.

We'll see how it shakes out in the wash.

Yeah I guess that deal for Talib actually is for less than initially reported as far as guarantees

Aqib Talib's 6-year deal with Denver is more like a 3-year, $27 million deal. More reasonable than advertised. $18M thru 2. $12M in Year 1.

Money may be the same year 1, but Revis won't be making 6m year two

exarkun

Sorry Panthers-gaf, I meant LaFell is a bum as a #1 receiver. Posting on the run hurts my ability to communicate! Its not the booze, i promise.

Vince wants a release? Come to Houston, my good man. We'll trade Schaub to the Pats for Vince and his wife. Schaub will come in handy when they create the Brady Rule Pt. 2: His Elbow. Defenders won't be able to hit above the tits because Brady dislocated his elbow and Schaub had to play 10 games for the Pats, resulting in blackouts for the Pats for the first time in...forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom