• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

After giving the Giants a chance to improve their offer, DE Justin Tuck is accepting a two-year, $11 million deal with the Oakland Raiders.

A bit pricey, but I like it. Raiders obviously have no choice but to overpay so it's hard to criticize them for that at this point.

11 million for two years? You can have him, Oakland.

I'll miss him though. One of my favorite Giants of all time. He'll retire in blue one day.

I am no Giants fan but I cant imagine Tuck in a different uniform. That is going to be weird.
Yep. Worse that its to Oakland where careers go to die. :(

rando14

Will Blackmon @willblackmon·
Coach Gus is just getting custody of his children he raised in Seattle lol

tumblr_lcdldkcbLU1qzkjh0.gif

squicken

I liked this draft way more when you were saying that both safeties would be there at 22. :(

It doesn't help that there seems to be a big gap between those two and the rest of a class that isn't considered deep. So much of where he falls is dependent on the QBs. A pretty decent consensus is forming on the non-QBs in the top 10-15

Colasante

Apparently, DRC declined to accept a deal believed to be worth $54 million over six years and Talib was then signed. Wow.

Yeah, that's unbelievable. Talk about an agent misreading his player's market. Now Patriots fans have DRC to thank for us ultimately getting Talib; had DRC signed that more than fair deal, we'd still have Talib, and Revis would be elsewhere, if not a Bronco.

Zero chance he trades up that far.
You think he's that high? I've seen him go 20-25 in most mocks.

I don't think he should take a Safety at all, TBH. There's lot of late round talent and he seems to like the kid from UNC even though Bowser thinks he sucks.

Edit: NM saw your other post

jbug617

Banned
Possible Wilfork replacement in the draft.

@DanWetzel: Pats have loved Notre Dame DT Louis Nix for two years now. At 6-3, 340, would they move up to make him next in the Wilfork/Washington spot?

cajunator

Banned
Sproles traded to Eagles?
Im ok with it. thats a fun offense and he will thrive in it. They will be competitive and use Sproles' talent the way it should be. Thanks for what you did for us Sproles.

Draxal

Sad about Tuck, but for the money he's getting the Giants would be foolish to match. Glad he gave the Giants a chance to match the offer, and glad he's getting paid now as he didn't get an exorbitant contract his last time.

For comparison, the Falcons signed Osi Umenyoira last season to a two year, 8.5 million dollar deal. With incentives it could have been worth up to 12 million and now they want him to take a pay cut.

Cullen Jenkins took a 3 year, 8 million dollar deal with 3 million guaranteed. DT but he's a versatile pass rusher as well.

Those numbers I would guess are more the Giants speed in terms of keeping Tuck. I'm sad to see him go and I wanted him to play his career in NY but that's the numbers game. Don't blame him at all for taking the money.

Colasante

2 years for 11 mil is an overpay for Tuck? I was expecting more.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all if he can keep up the torrid sack pace he developed at the end of last season, but I thought I'd read that the Giants valued him around $4 million per year. I'm just not sure how much he has left, but it reminds me of the Cardinals picking up John Abraham on a fair, but unspectacular deal last season and seeing him get 11 sacks.

Yeah, that's unbelievable. Talk about an agent misreading his player's market. Now Patriots fans have DRC to thank for us ultimately getting Talib; had DRC signed that more than fair deal, we'd still have Talib, and Revis would be elsewhere, if not a Bronco.

Yeah if DRC signs that deal I doubt that Denver goes so hard after Talib. I wonder where Revis would have gone then? Maybe the Jets.

Draxal

For comparison, the Falcons signed Osi Umenyoira last season to a two year, 8.5 million dollar deal. With incentives it could have been worth up to 12 million and now they want him to take a pay cut.

Cullen Jenkins took a 3 year, 8 million dollar deal with 3 million guaranteed.

Those numbers I would guess are more the Giants speed in terms of keeping Tuck. I'm sad to see him go and I wanted him to play his career in NY but that's the numbers game. Don't blame him at all for taking the money.

Ayup, and can't blame the Raiders for overpaying as they kinda had to.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all if he can keep up the torrid sack pace he developed at the end of last season.
A bulk of his sacks were in two games against the Redskins. He's still an excellent run stuffer but his days as a premium two way DE are over. If he can stay healthy, 4-6 sacks in a season are realistic for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom