• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
8wXxMLK.jpg

4-jaguar-kills-caiman_71394_600x450.jpg

squicken

It's ultimately trivial, but the Rams were dumb to let Kellen Clemens leave. He's not really a good QB but can manage a game and is a good pro. If they are going to draft a QB to be the backup, it would have been smart to keep Clemens around to mentor him. That's just something Bradford's not going to do

Spinluck

I actually want Nicks on the team now, his first 3 or years with the Giants was insane from a play making standpoint.. and hell.. even his overall game. He did some crazy shit, it wasn't till recently (1.5-2yrs) that he hasn't been able to match those years.

Using his size and adjusting his body to make incredible plays, physically dominating corners and making one handed grabs and shit. Turning slants, and other short pass plays to like 20yd plays by making like 2-3 dudes missed. I've seen him do it all. Probably one of the better Giants WR's I've seen in a long time.

I'm honestly surprised the Giants let him walk at age 26, he must have been asking for A LOT of $$$. Luck could really use someone like him on the outside, especially since he since he fights for those deep balls and usually adjust accordingly.. depending on which Nicks shows up.

Bowser

I actually want Nicks on the team now, his first 3 or years with the Giants was insane from a play making standpoint.. and hell.. even his overall game. He did some crazy shit, it wasn't till recently (1.5-2yrs) that he hasn't been able to match those years.

Using his size and adjusting his body to make incredible plays, physically dominating corners and making one handed grabs and shit. Turning slants, and other short pass plays to like 20yd plays by making like 2-3 dudes missed. I've seen him do it all. Probably one of the better Giants WR's I've seen in a long time.

I'm honestly surprised the Giants let him walk at age 26, he must have been asking for A LOT of $$$. Luck could really use someone like him on the outside, especially since he since he fights for those deep balls and usually adjust accordingly.. depending on which Nicks shows up.

That's why I said this morning that I would absolutely welcome a long-term deal at $4.5m per given what other WRs are getting in this market. Ted Ginn just got $4.75m per from the Cards. I had the pleasure of watching Nicks play in college (was there my freshman and sophomore year) and he was a beast his first 2-3 years in the league.

Is there a chance the knee injury has robbed him of some of his athleticism? Yeah. But he's still young and has a lot of potential.

Looks like it doesn't matter now as it's probably gonna turn into a bidding war. I still think the Colts end up landing him though.

Money wasn't the issue. Consistent injuries, lack of effort in his contract year (he was supposedly fined dozens of times for being late to meetings/training/rehab in addition to his lazy on-field play) and Victor Cruz emerging pretty much guaranteed he was going to be let go.

From 2009-2011? He was electric. A true #1 and an amazing play maker. No question. I actually lobbied for him to be signed over Cruz!

The problem is he's missed 9 games in four season and has a myriad of foot/ankle/knee issues that always crop up and well....all of 2013. Last season really killed a ton of respect and enthusiasm I had for the guy. He was benched in the second Dallas game when the division was still in play.

JABEE

:jnc that can't be real.

If it is Gata has to leave his Patriots allegiance for the Jags.

Gata's Sweet Sorrow

How can you leave where you never were?
Jaguars fan since the day he was born.
He learned the goodness of Gabbert,
and never looked back.
A passing infatuation is all this New England fling can be.
Coined is the phrase the alligator cries, "I like to keep it in the family."
Tied to his state, full of Floridian pride,
where incest is legal, and so is homicide.
A home is a home they say in the end,
Would someone please be Gata's friend?

JABEE

I'll be your friend, Gata. We'll all be your friend.

Striker

The problem is he's missed 9 games in four season and has a myriad of foot/ankle/knee issues that always crop up and well....all of 2014. Last season really killed a ton of respect and enthusiasm I had for the guy. He was benched in the second Dallas game when the division was still in play.
Even with all that said, he played in 2012 when he was banged up and couldn't get any separation at all. I'm not blaming him for any of that, but TC and Co. needed to shut him down. Still bugs me they waited so long to do anything until the last part of the season.

I don't think Giants see money being an issue with him, but lack of commitment and injury bugs constantly curling up time and time again. Great guy and was a huge impact for that 2011 run, but the past 18 months or so he's been practically useless.

Talon

I really want Nicks in Indianapolis. Would love to see that combo with Luck.

Assuming Nicks starts giving a shit again.

MechDX

Retweeted by Jayson Braddock
Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP · 13m
Chad Johnson is telling folks on his Twitter feed that he's going to play for the CFL's B.C. Lions.

Sanjuro

More like ESPDumb!

#nailedit

I don't think it's that bad actually. I just don't see the Raiders doing that, and a few other picks will play out differently I think

I don't care about college football. I just know that he has been the generic go to guy for false predictions for well over a decade!

Spinluck

Looks like it doesn't matter now as it's probably gonna turn into a bidding war. I still think the Colts end up landing him though.

Yeah, I think we have a pretty good chance too. Don't think the 9ers would offer as much as us. WR is not really a huhe concern of theirs at the moment, landing Nicks would be insane for them. (Boldin, Crabtree, and Nicks? lol Kaep pls).

Money wasn't the issue. Consistent injuries, lack of effort in his contract year (he was supposedly fined dozens of times for being late to meetings/training/rehab in addition to his lazy on-field play) and Victor Cruz emerging pretty much guaranteed he was going to be let go.

From 2009-2011? He was electric. A true #1 and an amazing play maker. No question. I actually lobbied for him to be signed over Cruz!

The problem is he's missed 9 games in four season and has a myriad of foot/ankle/knee issues that always crop up and well....all of 2013. Last season really killed a ton of respect and enthusiasm I had for the guy. He was benched in the second Dallas game when the division was still in play.

Yikes, that's concerning. The injury part really sucks though.

It comes off as if he didn't care to be resigned by the Giants, really shitty way to go about it if so.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Posted?

Mel Kipers latest top 10 draft:

BinohVFCMAAB23Q.png:large

Matthew Stafford
Calvin Johnson
Golden Tate
Mike Evans
Joe Fauria
Reggie Bush
Joique Bell
One of the best and youngest offensive lines in the league
Ndamakung Suh
Nick Fairley
Ziggy Ansah
Darius Slay
DeAndre Levy

I don't think a single one of these studs is above 28 years old. And Mike Evans is the only person not yet on the team (its either Watkins or Evans at #10). Plus added young depth with picks #2-#7.

james-brown-crying-o.gif

Eh, growing up in California its not a big deal and I needed the jobs at the time. Even then I found it ridiculous that I could be a raging alcoholic like Ben Roethlesberger and still get a job, but if I take one hit of weed three weeks before a drug test I can't get a job. I actually wonder what the NFLs drug testing policy is like and if they pat you down and check if its real urine.

I've heard of people taking in other peoples urine with a heat pad to try to get a job.

ShaneB

I just played a great entertaining game in my Madden 08 league. I've been testing things out and recorded it, so I'll share the link in the morning when things are uploaded and all done. I guess a few of you might watch :)

^ Looks great on paper..

I think all championship/top tier teams need that 1 playoff lost to motivate them. Like 49ers choking to the Giants to make it to the SB the following year (They lost but hey... they got there).

Broncos losing to the Ravens, Seattle losing to the Falcons to both make it the following year.

It be interesting to see if the Lions can even get that first step and make it to the playoffs. If they play good, and lose then probably a decent contender for 2015-2016. Growing pains....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom