• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per a Cards beat writer:

"So while Ginn's deal is worth at least 9.75 if he lasts 3 yrs, #azcardinals could cut him in a yr and cap charge is 1.5. Not much risk."

Sounds good to me! As I said yesterday, massive upgrade at kick returns over Arenas and could maybe do the punt returns too as I hate risking P2 to injuries in ST. He has the speed to take someone over the top which will be huge against a defense like Seattle's, definitely needed a speed guy to free up the dynamic Fitz/Floyd duo.

Not sure Caldwell is the guy to change all that either. I feel like as much talent as they have, and yes kas they are good on paper, they will always struggle if Stafford doesn't become more of a role model of a captain.

Yup. The Lions don't really have a vocal leader. Stafford seems like the ultimate status quo guy - lose, get paid, go to work, defend the system. Megatron works harder than anyone but isn't a vocal guy (he leads by example). I don't buy Suh as a captain. Burleson was a leader but more of a talker than doer.

I know Stafford works in the off season...but it's largely him throwing long balls. He clearly doesn't work on his body, or his footwork. Everyone says Stafford has a great arm but that's literally all he has. And he got by in HS and college with the arm alone. He really seems like one the laziest QB in the league.

You'd think seeing guys like Luck and even Russel Wilson surpass him would spur some action but nope. He seems content at where he is.

Per a Cards beat writer:

"So while Ginn's deal is worth at least 9.75 if he lasts 3 yrs, #azcardinals could cut him in a yr and cap charge is 1.5. Not much risk."

Sounds good to me! As I said yesterday, massive upgrade at kick returns over Arenas and could maybe do the punt returns too as I hate risking P2 to injuries in ST. He has the speed to take someone over the top which will be huge against a defense like Seattle's, definitely needed a speed guy to free up the dynamic Fitz/Floyd duo.

At that price he's a good pick up for kick returns, anything you after that is a plus :) lol

Yup. The Lions don't really have a vocal leader. Stafford seems like the ultimate status quo guy - lose, get paid, go to work, defend the system. Megatron works harder than anyone but isn't a vocal guy (he leads by example). I don't buy Suh as a captain. Burleson was a leader but more of a talker than doer.

I know Stafford works in the off season...but it's largely him throwing long balls. He clearly doesn't work on his body, or his footwork. Everyone says Stafford has a great arm but that's literally all he has. And he got by in HS and college with the arm alone. He really seems like one the laziest QB in the league.

You'd think seeing guys like Luck and even Russel Wilson surpass him would spur some action but nope. He seems content at where he is.

Him saying that he doesnt need to work with a QB coach seems like he is just full of himself even more then being lazy. If he honestly thinks he is perfect then he is nuts. Foles was terrible his first year, all his deep passes wobbled, and he threw a bunch of picks. As soon as the season ended though he spent the whole offseason working with coaches to fix his footwork, and he looked much improved. Stafford needs someone that can work with him to improve his footwork and mechanics.

Tom Penny

I've never heard of any great players that needed others to scream and do rah rah speeches to have them step up their game. That's just a lame excuse for people who lack work ethic and don't self scout themselves to improve.

Him saying that he doesnt need to work with a QB coach seems like he is just full of himself even more then being lazy. If he honestly thinks he is perfect then he is nuts. Foles was terrible his first year, all his deep passes wobbled, and he threw a bunch of picks. As soon as the season ended though he spent the whole offseason working with coaches to fix his footwork, and he looked much improved. Stafford needs someone that can work with him to improve his footwork and mechanics.

Fuck I hope Lazor does that with Tannehill and he seems more than willing to learn.

@AlbertBreer said:
From me and @RapSheet: Per Redskins sources, Browner's visit to Ashburn -- called off as of this AM -- is now back on for this afternoon.

I think I may have to just tune out Breer and Rapaport. In related news, Brandon Spikes is visiting the Bills.

Narag

Do you guys use any third party programs for twitter? Been getting into it but it gets really unwieldy when following a bunch of folk.

Lazor gon' work that magic on Tanne...

Fuck I hope Lazor does that with Tannehill and he seems more than willing to learn.
:jnc

We are in sync, dolphin-bro!

Does Tanny have mechanical problems? It feels like the few times I got to watch him it was hard to tell cause defenders were in his face all game long.

Its that time again friends, but this time its pick dinner for your favorite methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus friend (vancomycin will not be provided).

http://www.marchemoderne.net/

or

http://playgrounddtsa.com/

I always go by beer selection so Playground>Marchemoderne

Lazor gon' work that magic on Tanne...

:jnc

We are in sync, dolphin-bro!

lol we should run the team!

Also that pick up line thread in OT is hilarious Link

Does Tanny have mechanical problems? It feels like the few times I got to watch him it was hard to tell cause defenders were in his face all game long.

Mostly footwork and pocket presence, although he improved this year compared to last and yeah the horrible oline made it difficult to evaluate him fully.

How was he being used in Miami and Carolina? For us, he's only the #3 WR that will play out of the slot and be used solely as a burner to free the other two up.

If I recall they tried to use him as the #1 WR, when that failed they tried to use him as a burner but his stone hands were too much to overcome. I could be remembering wrong though it's been awhile.

The lack of time afforded him by his line has caused a few issues to pop up like him rushing his progression or getting happy feet. He has also struggled with his deep ball accuracy, although the arm strength is definitely there. His footwork also needs some work but it's not terrible, mostly just a problem of being a little too Brady-like (statuesque) at times. Every once in awhile he will throw a really, really stupid pass that is just an awful read for a INT (maybe once every two games or so).

I still feel like he has a high ceiling, he just needs to make some improvements in those areas (and the o-line needs to shape up a little). He is a gifted athlete, that's for sure.

Raiders expected to sign Donald Penn and Antonio Smith.

TKv4CgF.gif

MRSA

Banned
Raiders expected to sign Donald Penn and Antonio Smith.

http://i.imgur.com/TKv4CgF.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

God, why? Unless Penn and Smith are both signed for pennies, they're both over the hill and Penn's play has slipped massively, how long until he pulls a Bryant McKinnie and gets back on the Taco Bell diet to 400lbs?

Talon

God, why? Unless Penn and Smith are both signed for pennies, they're both over the hill and Penn's play has slipped massively, how long until he pulls a Bryant McKinnie and gets back on the Taco Bell diet to 400lbs?
It's becoming the In-N-Out diet, baby!

Niners signed Antonio smith....

In the neogaf madden online franchise!

lol

I doubt they'll get big deals. Penn is still a mauler run blocker, provides LT depth or may even start but I think they might kick him inside to guard.

Smith will probably be more of a rotation guy, play some 3-tech inside on passing downs and flip out to DE in running situations.

Good depth and more pieces to play with in any case.

Bowser

How was he being used in Miami and Carolina? For us, he's only the #3 WR that will play out of the slot and be used solely as a burner to free the other two up.

He was used as the #3 WR and returner in Carolina, a role he fit fairly well. He had his best ever year (which isn't saying much): 36 rec, 556 yds (15.4 ypr), 5 TDs. I can immediately recall at least 3 50+ yards bombs that he flat out dropped, so he could have easily had 700 yards and a few more TDs.

MRSA

Banned
I doubt they'll get big deals. Penn is still a mauler run blocker, provides LT depth or may even start but I think they might kick him inside to guard.

Smith will probably be more of a rotation guy, play some 3-tech inside on passing downs and flip out to DE in running situations.

Good depth and more pieces to play with in any case.

If they're signed for cheap, I'm for it. Michael Oher is visiting as well, we have an older version of Oher in false start Barnes.

OSI standings are the same as yesterday (DEN, TB, GATA,ATL,NE). If BB's agent ever gets his ass off the hockey rink and helps him sign a contract, the Pats can move up.

Panthers are still a solid No.1 in the Loser's Bracket.

squicken

Yeah but lets be honest...can we really be picky? lol

It's impossible to have 5 good offensive linemen unless you are New England or San Francisco. Smith can be okay if he is around good players. When the Rams had Saffold, Wells and Long healthy, Chris Williams and Smith looked fine. When the injuries hit, those two guys really got exposed

It's impossible to have 5 good offensive linemen unless you are New England or San Francisco. Smith can be okay if he is around good players. When the Rams had Saffold, Wells and Long healthy, Chris Williams and Smith looked fine. When the injuries hit, those two guys really got exposed

Would he play LG? Because if he's next to Albert and Pouncey he should be ok if he's on the right he's pretty much fucked.

Yeah but lets be honest...can we really be picky? lol

Okay, I'm sold. Pay the man, Hickey McHickerstein!

squicken

Would he play LG? Because if he's next to Albert and Pouncey he should be ok if he's on the right he's pretty much fucked.

That's where he played for STL. I think PFF liked him, though big grain of salt on that. Rams want to bring him back, but it's not a priority and they want to upgrade

MRSA

Banned
Well friends.....I'm going to that French restaurant tonight.

Gonna have the bone marrow app and mussels with fries as the entree (Or maybe the sea bass). I will have to drink disgusting wine, save me Tebow.

That's where he played for STL. I think PFF liked him, though big grain of salt on that. Rams want to bring him back, but it's not a priority and they want to upgrade

Well I'm ok with the signing then, like you said we can't have pro bowlers at every position group, with Albert, Pouncey and hopefully a good RT (zack?) we should be ok and more important a lot better then last year.

Well friends.....I'm going to that French restaurant tonight.

Gonna have the bone marrow app and mussels with fries as the entree (Or maybe the sea bass). I will have to drink disgusting wine, save me Tebow.

Should have gone with the other one smh

Tom Penny

It's called Dante Scarnecchia and he retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom