• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not paying.

Let the wine flow!

Hedonismbot_2-4-.jpg

He was used as the #3 WR and returner in Carolina, a role he fit fairly well. He had his best ever year (which isn't saying much): 36 rec, 556 yds (15.4 ypr), 5 TDs. I can immediately recall at least 3 50+ yards bombs that he flat out dropped, so he could have easily had 700 yards and a few more TDs.

Good to hear, I saw it was his best year, good to see him growing rather than regress. I remember seeing posts about him actually making plays and looking better last season so hopefully that trend continues. Stone hands is concerning but if he could at least take a defender with him down the field, that will be huge for those mid range or 8 yd plays. Added value from returning and the low cost he's coming at makes it worth a shot. I'm curious to see if we still draft a burner later in the draft.

gutshot

Eagles have signed Darren Sproles to a two-year contract extension.

Not sure how I feel about that. Is he going to be an impact player when he is 33-34 years old? Hopefully the structure of the deal is essentially 3 one year contracts and we can cut him at any time without a significant cap hit.

Colasante

Dolphins have been trying to get RT Zach Strief to visit but today were told by his agent he declines the invite, per Barry Jackson.

Probably just because he wants to return to the Saints, but I found it funny nonetheless.

Hunter S.

Dolphins still have 35.685M in cap space....that new regime is going to have a lot of cash to play with next year.

It has to start somewhere It has to start sometime
What better place than here, what better time than now?

All hell can't stop us now

The Broncos motto is the one I like better. Now!

I am counting on the Dolphins beating the Patriots this year!

Bowser

Good to hear, I saw it was his best year, good to see him growing rather than regress. I remember seeing posts about him actually making plays and looking better last season so hopefully that trend continues. Stone hands is concerning but if he could at least take a defender with him down the field, that will be huge for those mid range or 8 yd plays. Added value from returning and the low cost he's coming at makes it worth a shot. I'm curious to see if we still draft a burner later in the draft.

Not stone hands, more like literally through his hands:

But then again, he'll do things like make Revis his bitch:

CamNewtonTedGinn.gif

LJ11

Buffalo is a smallish town and it's easy for locals to break stories because they bump into players while they're in town.

Guy saw B.Spikes early in the morning today, no one else had Spikes in Buffalo as early as he did, he's taking a physical at UB.

Love when the little guy gets the scoop.

Justin Tuck on leaving:

Though the 30-year-old Tuck made it clear he wasn't bitter and didn't want to "bad-mouth" the only organization he's ever known, he told the Daily News on Friday that he's still "upset" with the way his long Giants tenure ended. He said he went into the offseason "thinking I'd be a Giant for life" and willing to take considerably less money to make it happen.

But the offer he got from the Giants "was pretty much disrespectful to be honest with you" - approximately half of the two-year, $11 million deal he eventually signed.

"They wouldn't have had to match it," Tuck said. "You know, at the beginning of free agency I'm going in thinking I'm not looking for a lot. I understand the Giants have a lot of holes to fill. If they were trying to sign me before free agency hit, or at least were trying to communicate with us, then I probably would've took somewhere around a two-year deal, $8 million, somewhere around there.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-tuck-raiders-article-1.1721734#ixzz2vxbYhfAQ

It's the shitty side of the business and from all accounts the Giants were only offering about 5 million for two years. Reese wants to get younger and restock the roster which means guys like Tuck are on the outside looking in. It sucks and frankly the 8 million figure he mentioned is something I would have liked to see him come back at as a fan.:(

Not sure how I feel about that. Is he going to be an impact player when he is 33-34 years old? Hopefully the structure of the deal is essentially 3 one year contracts and we can cut him at any time without a significant cap hit.

but with a guy like sproles can you really call him a regular 33-34 year old? he obviously is but from a football sense he's not a typical "30+ year old RB". he's never been a full time RB and rarely has taken big hits. he had some injuries last year with the saints but he has mostly been healthy. i guess depending on how much the extension was for it could be a head scratcher but he's just a role player

rando14

I guess you didn't realize I was joking?

Now Ginn can make Sherman his bitch
as if Sherman would ever be assigned to him

Well if Ginn gonna make Sherm his b then it's only fair that Percy makes Peterson his b!!

BTW are you playing DS2 brother? I got your friend request on PSN!!

anthony "big dix" dixon is visiting the bills today. if he leaves i will miss him. i feel like he is one of the best special teams players out there and doesn't get the recoginition. guy is 100 mph all the time defending kr/pr and does a great job. but i also felt, mostly because of gore, he didn't get his chance as a short yardage back. he is such a great short yardage back because he is fearless and always has been. we all saw it in the NFC title game with him going over the top on the goalline well he has always done that and he doesn't give a fuck. that's what you want out of a RB!

just unfortunate that he's going to lose out on a numbers game because a modern NFL team really cannot find justification for keeping 5 runningbacks (gore, hunter, LMJ, lattimore) even if dix is "technically" a backup full back too. i hope he has a lot of success in buffalo or anywhere else he goes :(

gutshot

but with a guy like sproles can you really call him a regular 33-34 year old? he obviously is but from a football sense he's not a typical "30+ year old RB". he's never been a full time RB and rarely has taken big hits. he had some injuries last year with the saints but he has mostly been healthy. i guess depending on how much the extension was for it could be a head scratcher but he's just a role player

Yeah, I'll wait to see the full contract details before getting too bent out of shape. Still this pretty much rules out them drafting De'Anthony Thomas, who I would have preferred in the TAZR role. He's younger, cheaper, we know he can perform in Chip's offense, and they likely could have taken him with the exact 5th round pick they used to get Sproles.

rando14

anthony "big dix" dixon is visiting the bills today. if he leaves i will miss him. i feel like he is one of the best special teams players out there and doesn't get the recoginition. guy is 100 mph all the time defending kr/pr and does a great job. but i also felt, mostly because of gore, he didn't get his chance as a short yardage back. he is such a great short yardage back because he is fearless and always has been. we all saw it in the NFC title game with him going over the top on the goalline well he has always done that and he doesn't give a fuck. that's what you want out of a RB!

just unfortunate that he's going to lose out on a numbers game because a modern NFL team really cannot find justification for keeping 5 runningbacks (gore, hunter, LMJ, lattimore) even if dix is "technically" a backup full back too. i hope he has a lot of success in buffalo or anywhere else he goes :(

Should the Niners even keep Gore?? Ima gonna be honest he's preeeetty old, and shouldn't they be giving Lattimore some of that sweet sweet playing time!!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm going to call it now.

Revis has already peaked and will never be the player he was. Looking forward to Revis Island becoming Revis tugboat or whatever.

effzee

He is primarily a receiver out of the back field so its not like we have to worry about him running up in between the tackles.

Not worried and rather excited to see him in action in Eagles green. They better line up both him and McCoy in the backfield together a lot.

Well if Ginn gonna make Sherm his b then it's only fair that Percy makes Peterson his b!!

BTW are you playing DS2 brother? I got your friend request on PSN!!

Well played sir, well played
neither will happen

Nice, I'll make a push to get a bunch of NFL GAF brethren on Destiny when it hits, we should all be able to roll around together at once in that game. Oh, Dark Souls, was about to ask what that was haha No, I've never played that series. I thought about trying them just to see if they are as difficult as people claim. I thought that wasn't multiplier though?or were you just curious?

Yeah, I'll wait to see the full contract details before getting too bent out of shape. Still this pretty much rules out them drafting De'Anthony Thomas, who I would have preferred in the TAZR role. He's younger, cheaper, we know he can perform in Chip's offense, and they likely could have taken him with the exact 5th round pick they used to get Sproles.

but here is the thing: the nfl isn't madden. you don't just say "wow this guy is much faster and younger and he did it in college!" the NFL isn't college and just because someone had a gajillion yards or catches or whatever doesn't mean it translates to the NFL.

take a look at lemichael james. now you can make the case that he hasn't been given a bunch of opportunities but they have been there and he hasn't been able to capitalize. it's not easy when you are used to abusing slow CB's from some college and then go to the NFL where LB's and even lineman are faster than a lot of the CB's you played against in college.

i always felt like you go for the proven NFL player over rolling the dice on a draft pick if you are looking for a major contribution immediately. you still have to build through the draft but there is a reason why a guy like frank gore has lasted so long even though he has always had a slow top end speed and is old. NFL isn't played on paper and even with all the footage in the world on a college guy its hard to gauge what he will be in the NFL.

long story short if i were the eagles i'd take sproles at a little more money than a guessing game with a 5th round project RB

Should the Niners even keep Gore?? Ima gonna be honest he's preeeetty old, and shouldn't they be giving Lattimore some of that sweet sweet playing time!!

yes we should keep gore. he still has elite vision and is one of the best pass protecting RB's in the league. he just doesn't have the explosion or speed but i wouldn't feel comfortable with entrusting this to the rest of our RB's, especially lattimore when we don't really know what he's going to bring to the table

squicken

Justin Tuck on leaving:

n.:(

Does suck that they wouldn't just be straight with him and say they were moving on. Same thing the Bears did with Urlacher. I think it's best with guys like that to just release them and not go for the pay cut thing, also like what NE is doing w/Vince.

Seeing stuff that it reflects badly on Oakland, but I don't think so. He was comfortable where he was and nothing really peculiar about not wanting to leave a good situation

Seeing stuff that it reflects badly on Oakland, but I don't think so. He was comfortable where he was and nothing really peculiar about not wanting to leave a good situation

Agreed. Players like that, you want to see retire with the team that drafted him.

That being said, I'm very happy to welcome him to Oakland.

gutshot

long story short if i were the eagles i'd take sproles at a little more money than a guessing game with a 5th round project RB

Normally, I'd agree with you, but feel like DAT is a bit of a special case since we already know what he can do in this exact offense. Now it's true that NFL players are faster than your average Pac 12 player, so maybe there is a chance he could bust. But I don't know, ability like this seems like it would translate to the next level especially when you put him in a system he is comfortable in and has excelled in before.

Colasante

A source close to the situation tells me Brandon Spikes and the Buffalo #Bills have agreed to a deal.

He's going to absolutely obliterate Stevan Ridley. Great signing for Pepper Johnson. They don't have a real need at tackle, but I wonder if Wilfork might follow him there.

rando14

Well played sir, well played
neither will happen

Nice, I'll make a push to get a bunch of NFL GAF brethren on Destiny when it hits, we should all be able to roll around together at once in that game. Oh, Dark Souls, was about to ask what that was haha No, I've never played that series. I thought about trying them just to see if they are as difficult as people claim. I thought that wasn't multiplier though?or were you just curious?

Well Percy has approximately a 0.1% chance of being healthy during the season so Ginn already has a much better shot just due to that!!

In regards to dark souls, that game kicks my ass, it's pretty tough!! There's some co-op which is awesome for bosses. Actually kas and I are planning to play tonight, should be fun

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
yes we should keep gore. he still has elite vision and is one of the best pass protecting RB's in the league. he just doesn't have the explosion or speed but i wouldn't feel comfortable with entrusting this to the rest of our RB's, especially lattimore when we don't really know what he's going to bring to the table

Such an underrated aspect of running backs but Aaron Rodgers is my quarterback.

HawkeyeIC

I think they should keep him, but I would have renegotiated that contract. He's making too much money this year.

eznark

Banned
If by Rodgers you mean Rookie of the Year Fats Lacy then yes.

gore's pass protection was a major reason we beat GB in the wildcard

KAP-1st-DOWN.gif

what a pickup to come across the formation and seal inside so kap has an outside area to run

If Gore isn't there nothing changes. It was an undisciplined attack on a QB. He dove inside and gave away the edge. Total fucking idiot play.

Justin Tuck on leaving:

It's the shitty side of the business and from all accounts the Giants were only offering about 5 million for two years. Reese wants to get younger and restock the roster which means guys like Tuck are on the outside looking in. It sucks and frankly the 8 million figure he mentioned is something I would have liked to see him come back at as a fan.:(

Agreed on the shittiness of the business. Unfortunately it is a business and teams need to win, so the older players tend to get re-cycled, even fan favorites. I know there are a lot of Steeler fans who are happy -- me included -- that Troy, Heath and Ike will end their careers as Steelers, but I'm not sure those are moves that are going to make us better next season or the couple seasons after that.

What is great is that Tuck sent the note out about keeping his literacy in NY charitable campaign going. I do love it when guys don't abandon the community they grew up in even when they move to different teams.

If by Rodgers you mean Rookie of the Year Fats Lacy then yes.

If Gore isn't there nothing changes. It was an undisciplined attack on a QB. He dove inside and gave away the edge. Total fucking idiot play.

disagree. if gore isn't there the angle is more to the outside and kap either has to step up or he at least gets a hand on kap

eznark

Banned
disagree. if gore isn't there the angle is more to the outside and kap either has to step up or he at least gets a hand on kap

If Gore isn't there Bush is probably coming even more out of control. His job was to contain first, tackle second. Instead he completely gave away the field. It was a bad play by Bush. Gore made it easier for sure.

All that said while I don't think that play is really a good example of Gore's prowess in pass pro he is definitely one of the best.

No one is as good as Brandon Jackson though. FUCK YOU TED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom