• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2016 |OT4| - XTREME FANS ONLY - WOOOO TRAINING CAMP

gutshot

Man, listening to people talk about the Buddy Ryan era on sports radio this week has been infuriating to me. I have basically no memory of Buddy Ryan since I was maybe 5 when he was replaced so maybe it's because I have zero nostalgia for him. Ray Rhodes is like the first coach I have clear memories of.

Anyway, listening to people trash Andy Reid, the best and most successful coach in Eagles history while simultaneously holding up Buddy Ryan as the best coach ever, when he did fucking nothing with the team, is ridiculous. I will never understand the hatred for Reid. Hell, Kotite and Rhodes won more playoff games with the Eagles than Ryan.

I think the hatred for Reid comes from all the playoffs blunders. You guys were so awesome in the regular season during the Reid era but always came short to some stupid shit.

Part of it is that, but part of it is just time. Time tends to wash away all a coach's faults and people are left with the good memories. I don't recall much of the Buddy era, but I do remember him being fired and I don't remember there being too much outrage over it. People liked him as a character but it was clear he wasn't a good enough head coach to lead the team deep into the playoffs.

We are only 4 years removed from the Reid era. Give it another 20 years time and I think people will look back on him more fondly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Man, listening to people talk about the Buddy Ryan era on sports radio this week has been infuriating to me. I have basically no memory of Buddy Ryan since I was maybe 5 when he was replaced so maybe it's because I have zero nostalgia for him. Ray Rhodes is like the first coach I have clear memories of.

Anyway, listening to people trash Andy Reid, the best and most successful coach in Eagles history while simultaneously holding up Buddy Ryan as the best coach ever, when he did fucking nothing with the team, is ridiculous. I will never understand the hatred for Reid. Hell, Kotite and Rhodes won more playoff games with the Eagles than Ryan.

Did you write this Deadspin piece per chance?

http://deadspin.com/buddy-ryan-was-philadelphias-winningest-coach-who-never-1782746916

This is actually what Buddy Ryan brought to Philadelphia: WIP sports talk radio idiocy, The Wing Bowl, the 700 level anarchy in Vet Stadium. He brought out the self-mythologized, entitled, Calvin-pissing-on-Aikman’s-jersey side of Philadelphia sports fandom. If you can’t win anything, create a spectacle. Spectacles sometimes have more impact than actual wins and erase actual losses from the historical record. Who needs rings when you can cripple a kicker?

That’s what’s so amazing about Buddy Ryan’s Eagles legacy. Dick Vermiel’s teary-eyed press conferences almost brought a real-life Super Bowl winning team in 1980-81. He and Andy Reid, who won important playoff games for the Eagles more often than not, would both still probably lose out to having a stadium named after them in favor of Buddy. Winning percentages didn’t mean half as much as the perception that Ryan’s insane defense-over-offense bluster was somehow more important than whatever the scoreboard said at game’s end.

Now that there’s actual math to show the true value of wins and losses for most professional sports leagues, Buddy’s never gonna be revealed as any sort of genius for what he did as a coach. And imagine the outrage-takes that would result from Buddy’s petty battles with Tom Landry that carried over to Jimmy Johnson’s Cowboy teams? He’d be run out of town real quick in the modern NFL. But what if there is some mystical side to winning that undermines all those empirical formulas? Because Buddy Ryan was the living embodiment of the Rocky statue of Philadelphia sports—touch it and its existence is real, even though what it represents is pure fiction. And that’s why Buddy Ryan always won: because it felt like he did.

Buddy didn't have playoff success due to circumstances outside of his control. The year Randall blew up his knee week one they had the best defense in NFL history. That team would have made a deep run with any offense at all. Another year they fell victim to the fog bowl. Buddy was a good coach he just believed in Randall to much. They never really invested in the offense because he would always say that Randall would make 5 plays a game and that was enough with his D.

I did not, but the piece is correct. I listen to WIP every day and I can't stop. It's like watching a train wreck. I just don't get the levels of idiocy by the callers sometimes.

Buddy didn't have playoff success due to circumstances outside of his control. The year Randall blew up his knee week one they had the best defense in NFL history. That team would have made a deep run with any offense at all. Another year they fell victim to the fog bowl. Buddy was a good coach he just believed in Randall to much. They never really invested in the offense because he would always say that Randall would make 5 plays a game and that was enough with his D.

And yet the Broncos can win a super bowl with the corpse of Manning and the best defense in the NFL. Buddy Ryan couldn't win a playoff game.

Spinluck

You're just gata in a different Florida swamp

This is the worst. You don't deserve him, Spin!

koign.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ian Rapoport Verified account
‏@RapSheet

#Colts QB Andrew Luck's 5-year extension pays him $75M over the first 3 years, source said. Slightly less over final 2 years.

Striker

Insane money. That division is tightening up and has some exciting QB's to watch (Luck, Bortles, Mariota) and truthfully the talent disparity on Indy isn't glaring. Should be fun to watch.

Bread

Banned
Why would you give $80m guaranteed to a guy who had a lacerated kidney last year, don't they know that kidneys are two bean-shaped organs, each about the size of a fist. They are located just below the rib cage, one on each side of the spine. Every day, the two kidneys filter about 120 to 150 quarts of blood to produce about 1 to 2 quarts of urine, composed of wastes and extra fluid.

rando14

Wow, $87 million guaranteed

*faints

Meanwhile BG and I been eating Bamen noodle for a Guinness World record 58 days in a row....

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
More Andrew Luck numbers: $87M in guarantees... $60M fully guaranteed by Mar. of 2017, $81M by 3/18, $87M fully guaranteed by 3/19
So they have an out before the start of the league year every year pretty much through 2019. It's very likely he sees the full guarantee unless something catastrophic happens but for right now, it's 60M fully guaranteed in 2017 which is the realistic value of the contract. Still curious to see what his signing bonus was.

EDIT: More:

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN 2m2 minutes ago
Dan Graziano Retweeted Tim D
$87 million is guaranteed vs. injury. $47 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Figured as much.

Top Bottom