• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2016 |OT4| - XTREME FANS ONLY - WOOOO TRAINING CAMP

MechDX

Football 101: Osweiler's 3 'clutch' throws

When the news first broke that the Texans had interest in Brock Osweiler, I realized I needed to do a little bit of homework. I knew I’d get asked often about Osweiler and what I thought about him potentially being the face of the franchise quarterback that the Texans have lacked for a few years. To be fair in my analysis, I wanted to see both ends of the spectrum. I had already seen him beat Cincinnati and New England back during the season.

So, I cued up the final game of the regular season against the San Diego Chargers. It was arguably Osweiler’s worst game of the season, or so the narrative went. I knew the story from a 30,000 foot view - Osweiler struggled in the game, Peyton Manning took over and led the Broncos from there to Super Bowl 50 and the organization’s third NFL championship.

But, when I turned on the game, the narrative didn’t match the play on the field.
Sure, Osweiler threw two interceptions, but neither was his fault. The first one was dropped by Jordan Norwood on a sure first down throw. The other came about as Osweiler’s arm was hit by an unblocked Chargers pass rusher. After C.J. Anderson’s fumble led to a Chargers touchdown that gave them the 13-7 lead, Manning was reinserted and the rest is history.

“Clutch”
One of the aspects of Osweiler’s game that I love more than any other is the fact that this man wants the ball in crunch time. Against the Cincinnati Bengals on a Monday night in Denver…

Osweiler had to buy time for Daniels to get out of his break, but once he broke to the middle, Osweiler threw a dime over the top of three linebackers, in a spot where Daniels could still catch and run up field. The 6-7 quarterback had to sit in the pocket for a split second longer to allow the route to open up, which was a bit problematic because his right tackle got pushed, essentially, right back into his lap. But, Osweiler slid forward and, with the rest of the pocket collapsing in his lap, delivered a gem.

After studying each of his starts closely, it’s clear that Osweiler isn’t perfect, but man, he’s shown a ton of quarterback dude qualities. These throws encapsulate that more than anything else and got me excited about what he can do in the Texans’ offense in the near future.

He is still no Tom Savage but...

2192148024_688d0eb741_o.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
OOMGAOMFGAMFGAKLGAJL!

I DIDN'T SEE THE NEWS WHEN I POSTED! I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE JUST JOKING!!!

#FREEHIM #HE'SFREE #BLESSED #BECLEVE #PROSPERITY

MechDX

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 11m11 minutes ago
I'm told #Redskins OLB Junior Galette has torn his Achilles and is out for the season.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Per source, Junior Galette didn't re-tear the same Achilles as a year ago. He tore the other one.

ItHasBegun.gif

MechDX

Matt HammondVerified account
‏@MattHammondShow
last season*:

QB A: 61.8 comp %, 7.15 yds/att, 48.8 QBR, 86.4 QB rtg

QB B: 61.1 comp %, 6.96 yds/att, 49.2 QBR, 91.1 QB rtg

Matt Hammond ‏@MattHammondShow Jul 21
QB A: Brock Osweiler

QB B: Derek Carr

hhhmmmm....

Head coach isnt Jack Del Rio and QB's last name isnt Carr.

Advantage: Texans

qcf x2

OOMGAOMFGAMFGAKLGAJL!

I DIDN'T SEE THE NEWS WHEN I POSTED! I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE JUST JOKING!!!

#FREEHIM #HE'SFREE #BLESSED #BECLEVE #PROSPERITY

Doesn't he know there's no more L's in Cleveland? I still have hopes for Pryor. I'm saying this as if it's even reasonable to think that Gordon might keep out of trouble.

Top Bottom