• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

cajunator

Banned
Also, more cities will be awarded a super bowl if they can build them downtown, right in the city center area. Not on the outskirts. Stop building stadiums in the suburbs.

eznark

Banned
Also, more cities will be awarded a super bowl if they can build them downtown, right in the city center area. Not on the outskirts. Stop building stadiums in the suburbs.

Reward teams for stealing even more money from taxpayers by building stadiums on the most expensive land possible. That makes sense.

Not every team has a crooked piece of shit for an owner, cajun.

jakncoke

Banned

Something something money. People already complain about the burden taxpayers are given for stadium. Land isnt cheap ya know!

edit; goddamit ez posted basically what i said 1 minute earlier

The Jags stadium is right in downton.

But no one wants to spend a week in a swamp.

1606760511_54b728a367.jpg

What I like about him is he maxes out the talent of the players on his roster by generally putting them in positions to succeed. He also can evaluate and develop QBs, which might be the single rarest trait in all of coaching

edit: but yes, John definitely out-coached him last night. And both Fisher and Cheating Pete got him a couple of times this year. His gameday coaching isn't as good as his M-F

He was completely, soundly and roundly outcoached last night. Flacco may be meh but John is the true Bestbaugh.

He seems to have some pretty big misses every once in a while, but it is amazing to see how (seemingly) apparent his direct impact is when they're clicking.

Dragon

Banned
power outages happen everywhere. They happen in New York and California a lot. Actually, this sort of thing will probably happen to other venues in the future because the entire US grid is a piece of shit. At least our bridges arent failing so badly you can see through holes in them like in the rustbelt. This whole country is in really bad shape. But by all means keep making fun of just one city.

New York has to support tons more people. I didn't even have my power go out for a second during Sandy. But New Orleans can't go 4 hours without having the power go out. Pathetic.

Play the victim all you want, that was embarrassing last night. You can't get around that by saying it happens other places.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Building Stadiums downtown ruins tailgating for fans. Not enough parking usually.

Like ez said, it's also horribly expensive and typically a lot of new stadiums are packaged with retail space for shops and stuff that have to be built. Is it often anymore that they just build a stadium?

harSon

Banned
New York has to support tons more people. I didn't even have my power go out for a second during Sandy. But New Orleans can't go 4 hours without having the power go out. Pathetic.

Play the victim all you want, that was embarrassing last night. You can't get around that by saying it happens other places.

To be fair, it was clearly the Niners' fault. Two black outs in two straight seasons? Suspicious. And at least fans this year were inside when the blackout occurred. I was forced to sit in Candlestick surrounded by ridiculously cold weather and degenerates last season.

squicken

Jax had a SB and it was panned as the worst ever.

They had to bring in cruise ships to serve as hotel inventory. Their will always be a bidding process b/c teams and their pocket politicians sell the rubes on all the money that hosting a SB brings in, neglecting to mention that the league takes all the parking, concessions, and numerous other revenues, tax free, w/o paying a cent for all the surrounding support services

cajunator

Banned
You guys biggest problem is assuming that there are good guys in the NFL/owners association. the whole league is about money. the owners are all about money. There is no integrity in this game, it is about who can make the biggest amount of cash. Winning obviously helps that. These are billionaire team owners. Every single one of them has stepped on people to get where they are. they managed loopholes and probably did some shady shit along the way. You do not make that kind of money without making enemies.
Stadiums on the outskirts in the suburbs might be on cheap land, but there is a reason that land is cheap. Nobody wants to be there.

Look Im not saying New Orleans is a high class city. Its really a fucking dump. I visit it fairly frequently. But its also a great place to hold big events and parties from years of experience with high amounts of tourism and a history of successful past events. Its extremely good at hosting things like the super Bowl and thats why the NFL likes it. If it was such a bad place to hold one then why have their been 10 of them there? There is a reason for all that and it has nothing to do with "Katrina". It is designed in such a way that massive amounts of people can move from one staging area to the next with relative ease and party the entire time. I can see why Goodell wants a european city to host big events in the future because the logistics in the cities work out much better (aside from getting people overseas to begin with).

To be fair, it was clearly the Niners' fault. Two black outs in two straight seasons? Suspicious. And at least fans this year were inside when the blackout occurred. I was forced to sit in Candlestick surrounded by ridiculously cold weather and degenerates last season.

Think I'd rather be in Candlestick last year.

As least you weren't surrounded by a bunch of Niners fans hooped on Nawlins bourbon watching their team get shellacked AND with Ray Lewis in the house. That's a terrible combination

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

I'm just happy you escaped with your life. Those 9er fans and a homicidal bunch.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You guys biggest problem is assuming that there are good guys in the NFL/owners association. the whole league is about money. the owners are all about money. There is no integrity in this game, it is about who can make the biggest amount of cash. Winning obviously helps that. These are billionaire team owners. Every single one of them has stepped on people to get where they are. they managed loopholes and probably did some shady shit along the way. You do not make that kind of money without making enemies.

Maybe if you're a fan of a team other than the publicly owned Green Bay Packers!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Is the commute much worse for fans if the Stadium is in LA vs the current location?

If they put the stadium in downtown LA like it was originally proposed, Qualcomm or whatever it is now, is definitely the preferable site.

squicken

As a farm and Dodge owner, I can only imagine GAF hated that commercial as much as I loved it. Best one of the night. Not really for the message or whatever but just for it's visual and audio impact

harSon

Banned
Think I'd rather be in Candlestick last year.

As least you weren't surrounded by a bunch of Niners fans hooped on Nawlins bourbon watching their team get shellacked AND with Ray Lewis in the house. That's a terrible combination

But Niner fans have a recent history of shooting and stabbing opposing fans. But you're right, Ray Lewis with a Super Bowl victory is a recipe for at least a double homicide.

Fox318

If they put the stadium in downtown LA like it was originally proposed, Qualcomm or whatever it is now, is definitely the preferable site.

I still can't believe they want to put it by the staples center.

Traffic would be crazy for fans.

As a farm and Dodge owner, I can only imagine GAF hated that commercial as much as I loved it. Best one of the night. Not really for the message or whatever but just for it's visual and audio impact
I loved it, definitely my favorite commercial as well. I'm not much of a farming guy myself but I grew up around a lot of it and I respect those guys a lot for what they do.

The reactions to it in the SB thread were amazing, haha.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Meh. The only farmer in me is from the time I grew weed on the side of the rental I was in during college. Don't need a semi-truck for that.

eznark

Banned

Easily the best of the night, blew away everything else. Can't beat Paul Harvey. Only thing wrong with it was the shitty product it was hawking.

jakncoke

Banned

Would of been 100% less annoying if they didnt spam the word god and religious aspect

Narag

Blah blah god blah blah rah rag America. So much fuckinhg whining while I enjoyed just listening to Paul Harvey

Talon

Don't know why they don't just rotate the SB between Miami and San Diego every year. Really the best two spots.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Bowser, but this is true.
Reward teams for stealing even more money from taxpayers by building stadiums on the most expensive land possible. That makes sense.

Not every team has a crooked piece of shit for an owner, cajun.
He's right, though. Downtown stadiums make a hell of a lot more sense for having a constant flow of (let's be honest) drunk asshats.

Hung on over
Hung on over baby

Hey boy don't ya know
I've feel like drinking up
All my friends are gonna come
We're gonna throw up all night long

Nightz

Is the commute much worse for fans if the Stadium is in LA vs the current location?

The location of Qualcomm now is actually the perfect site for a new stadium since it's easily accessible from anywhere in the city. But the team and the city kept butting heads about it for so long that it doesn't even make sense financially anymore to build there. The site that the Chargers are focusing on now is...in downtown San Diego. I hate going downtown because of traffic, so it's not my ideal location, but I'd rather the team stay here than go to LA.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah the ad was amazing except for the fact it was advertising Dodge.

Top Bottom