• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Fox318

l5BfDdS.jpg

GQman2121

Banned
It will be amazing. I can't wait. I just hope I can get off work

Starts at 10:45. I just want to get close enough to catch the swag the players are going to be throwing. In 2001 they threw balls into the crowd that the entire team signed.

Surge

Atleast there's the NHL(even though the Leafs suck as usual) and baseball season is right around the corner also.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ratings are in.

The overnight ratings for the Super Bowl are in and the 34-minute power outage didn’t wind up hurting CBS.

It actually appears to have helped them. Nielsen is reporting that the game posted a 48.1 rating and 71 share in its measurement of the biggest cities in the country, numbers that would make it the most watched event in American television history. One ratings point equals 1.147 million people — last year’s game did a 47.9 rating and was the previous record holder — and the share means that 71 percent of televisions turned on at the time were tuned into the game.

CBS asked Nielsen not to include ratings during the period when the power was out at the Superdome. The rating dropped to 46.5 during that period, according to the Associated Press, and including those numbers could have dropped the overall rating short of record level.

The game probably wouldn’t have reached those heights if not for the change in momentum that followed the lights going out in the Superdome in the third quarter. Whether that 49ers comeback was spurred by the delay or not is impossible to know, but it definitely represented the shift from what looked like a blowout to something much more compelling. The final half-hour of the game did a 52.4 rating and a 75 share and CBS also reported a spike in viewers watching the game online after the game resumed.

eznark

Banned
Finally watched the Aaron Rodgers - Brett Favre thing. That was funny as hell. Manning is amazing.

Wish I had watched the show now. I had no idea they did it like that. I thought it was more like the Heisman.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Finally watched the Aaron Rodgers - Brett Favre thing. That was funny as hell. Manning is amazing.

Wish I had watched the show now. I had no idea they did it like that. I thought it was more like the Heisman.

They're replaying it on NFLN tonight.

As a farm and Dodge owner, I can only imagine GAF hated that commercial as much as I loved it. Best one of the night. Not really for the message or whatever but just for it's visual and audio impact

That ad made me want to go out and buy a land plow, a pair of Carhartt Jeans, and another bible more than a Dodge truck.

Dodge probably threw their entire marketing budget for the year into that one commercial.

elkayes

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8912868/bill-barnwell-puts-ravens-win-perspective

Excellent article about what the ravens win means, why "momentum" is a stupid concept (and why most of sports writing and discussion is so futile.) Some quotes:

Go back to that Ravens-Broncos game three weeks ago. If Rahim Moore hadn't blown a seemingly simple coverage, Baltimore would've been out of the playoffs without anybody giving a second thought to how well they played.

That line between winning and losing is so ridiculously thin, and yet it becomes the basis for about 98 percent of the discussion surrounding a team.

The first notable momentum-changing moment was one in which the momentum shift was declared after an outcome and then forgotten about when it didn't actually change things. It was the fake field goal call by John Harbaugh on fourth-and-9 midway through the second quarter. Team Hindsight came out in droves.

Say that the Ravens lost the momentum after the power outage and the 49ers gained it. What happened right after the power outage? The 49ers checked down on third-and-13 and punted. The Ravens got the ball back and picked up 15 yards on their first play, a pass to Torrey Smith. They ran two more plays and then, on third-and-8, Ray Rice came up a half-yard short of a first down.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Next year's NY-NJ Super Bowl could be too cold for halftime musical act

Hope you enjoyed Beyoncé, football fans, because next year, there may not be a halftime show at the frigid Meadowlands Super Bowl.

There is no plan for one at Super Bowl XLVIII in the open-air home of the Jets and Giants in New Jersey — because NFL officials can’t figure out how to stage the festivities in the frigid climate, sources told The Post.

“It’s because of the cold weather,” revealed one source involved in the planning of the first-ever open-to-the-winter-elements Super Bowl.

“It’s not only the acts and the singers but [also] the crews that have to put the stage together. You know, the assembly has to be done a certain way. It’s choreographed and rehearsed so it can be assembled and disassembled as fast as possible. And you just can’t assemble the stage and break it down fast enough in the cold.”

“There’s no plan right now of what to do in its place,” the planning official said about the halftime spectacle.

Goodell am cry.

bionic77

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8912868/bill-barnwell-puts-ravens-win-perspective

Excellent article about what the ravens win means, why "momentum" is a stupid concept (and why most of sports writing and discussion is so futile.) Some quotes:
Don't ever post anything from Fat Barnwell and expect anyone to take the article or you seriously.

Half of the chodes @ Grantland are just Boston homers who think the Patriots are going to win the Superbowl and every game.

This coming from a diehard Pats fan. You can trust me.

bionic77

What have the Patriots ever done to you?
They are an evil franchise and have never contributed anything positive to this world. Brady gave up penis and the Lord for Earthly glories. Bellicheat fucks every happily married woman (often very pregnant) he can find. And he usually films it and sends a copy to the husband kids to rub it in. Thanks to the Pats defenders are not allowed to touch receivers or quarterbacks anymore.

Look I am as in the tank for the Pats as anyone else, see my avatar for proof, but at a certain point in your life you just have to admit you were wrong, man up, and come to terms with the fat that your team is a bunch of evil douchebags.

They are an evil franchise and have never contributed anything positive to this world. Brady gave up penis and the Lord for Earthly glories. Bellicheat fucks every happily married woman (often very pregnant) he can find. And he usually films it and sends a copy to the husband kids to rub it in. Thanks to the Pats defenders are not allowed to touch receivers or quarterbacks anymore.

Look I am as in the tank for the Pats as anyone else, see my avatar for proof, but at a certain point in your life you just have to admit you were wrong, man up, and come to terms with the fat that your team is a bunch of evil douchebags.
I don't care what people say, for a Patriots fan you are alright in my book.

Just get a black metal band from a country like Norway to do it. The cold wouldnt bother them at all.
image.php

Draxal

Don't ever post anything from Fat Barnwell and expect anyone to take the article or you seriously.

Half of the chodes @ Grantland are just Boston homers who think the Patriots are going to win the Superbowl and every game.

This coming from a diehard Pats fan. You can trust me.

Barnwell is a Giants fan, but he dick suck off Schatz (who is a Pats fan).

Jesus :lol

I suggest that for the halftime show next year we get a 100 monkeys riding dogs.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

For Myra.

I don't care what people say, for a Patriots fan you are alright in my book.

image.php

Yeah bionic is definitely the best and most reasonable Pats fan on this board.

A few years ago I took my wife to see Dimmu Brogir at the Warfield. She had never heard there music before, it was very interesting to see her reaction.

bionic77

Jesus :lol

I suggest that for the halftime show next year we get a 100 monkeys riding dogs.
Dude when has our beloved coach ever not been able to help himself from videotaping something? He is a visionary and genius and was making his own reality show tapes of other teams signals and plays before reality tv even became a thing.

It makes a lot of sense that he would videotape himself taking turns raw-dogging the Hargaugh wives and then send it on to the coaches right before the Superbowl (and then email it to their parents and kids the next day).

Top Bottom