• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Fox318

Started new job this morning! So far so good. My office has a view of a parking lot, but can't complain too much.
Congrats!!

I think we should ban fox from everything.

also browns suck and gators a jags fan
p7b40Ke.jpg

No need to ban fox. Just post butt fumble gif and he vanishes for 48 hours.
:/

In todays NFL that is a pretty good recipe to win the Superbowl.

We got the sucking hairy ass part down pat. We just have to find a way to suck ass AND make the playoffs. That and some deer antler spray. We are way behind in the PED game and need to get up to speed!

It looks great on you! Should have added a Shirtless Gronk to the avatar, but this will do just fine. I just hope we can still be bros.

Kap played pretty good for the most part but his inexperience showed. Some great plays and runs but a terrible pick and bad managing. Gore broke free late on and was looking great, receivers looked pretty good, but it wasn't enough.
Seems like a pretty fair assessment to me but I wouldn't call the Kaep pick terrible. It was just a classic case of a guy throwing the ball extremely hard and it sailing on him. I'd rather see that once in a blue moon than some idiotic decision like the INT Peyton threw in OT against the Ravens.

The one throw Kaep had to the sideline that was almost a pick six was probably his dumbest throw of the game, I'd say.

It'll be Ravens - someone right?

Yeah the team that wins the SB has to be in it. I would bet Ravens Steelers, since last year was Giants Cowboys. Ravens Broncos also makes sense, if they are playing each other in Baltimore, since that playoff game was so good, and Manning is a huge draw.

Just came by to pay my respects to the Ravens and give some thoughts on the game.

1)Flacco is an upper echelon QB: I don't like to throw the word elite around to just anyone and I don't think Flacco's earned that moniker on the basis of his overall body of work (too inconsistent, awful on the road). But I have to give credit where credit's due, he's a terrific playoff QB and he made the plays he had to to win them this game. He was great in the first half in building that lead and he made a couple clutch throws down the stretch to extend their lead. That being said...

2)Flacco was not the SB MVP: Flacco was very good, but I think Jacoby Jones and Anquan Boldin were more deserving. Jones made two excellent plays that changed the game (including the kickoff return, that barring the power outage, probably ends the game as a contest) and Boldin made great grab after great grab and was instrumental in preserving the lead. Of course QB bias would give it to Flacco, but he was the third most valuable player in my eyes

3)The Niners made a valiant effort...but their D put them in too big a hole: The Niners' secondary was their only weakness on D last year, it was their biggest weakness this year, and it got exposed again by Flacco. Carved up at the back. Culliver? lol Speaking of lol, did Aldon Smith even play in this game? I don't remember hearing his name at all.

4)Kap is the real deal: Kaepernick played a below average first half, but I would blame that huge deficit more on the shitty Niners D than him. Post-power outage, he was great though. I don't know why the CBS commentators were saying that they should put Smith in at all. Smith's a decent QB, but his game's not built on coming back from 22 point deficits. Smith wasn't going to win that game, Kap would have, except for...

5)Big Bro outcoaches Little Bro: I don't get why the Niners didn't try to run the ball once at the end of the game when they had it at the six. Kaepernick and Gore had both made big runs already on that drive, and I don't think the Raven would have been able to keep them out on four straight runs. I'd have to chalk that one up as bad playcalling and another place where John outmaneuvered Jim. From the opening snap (literally the opening snap where the Niners lose a first down because of a formation penalty), I'd say that the Ravens looked more prepared and better disciplined than the Niners.

6) Last but not least, ban New Orleans from the Super Bowl forever: Nawlins has a lot of character and history, we all get that. But that piece of shit stadium should never be allowed to host another Super Bowl. 40 min power outages, what a fucking disgrace. Completely changed the make-up of the game.

Misc:
  • Ads were below average, nothing remarkable except for the gross Rafeali-nerd make out
  • Beyonce, my wife, had a great half-time show.
  • Barely related, but Strahan should have made it into the HOF over Sapp.
  • Happy that Reed got a ring
  • Moss will end up being a great player with no rings

eznark

Banned
Yeah the team that wins the SB has to be in it. I would bet Ravens Steelers, since last year was Giants Cowboys. Ravens Broncos also makes sense, if they are playing each other in Baltimore, since that playoff game was so good, and Manning is a huge draw.

My guess is Green Bay. It's an interesting game, would draw a great audience and there were some teams bitching about playing in-division games in week 1 so I could see them trying to avoid that if possible.

bionic77

It looks great on you! Should have added a Shirtless Gronk to the avatar, but this will do just fine. I just hope we can still be bros.
We will always be bros dude. Lets celebrate my 2nd favorite team winning the SB by hanging out in Baltimore. Dress nicely and meet me in Ellwood park at around 3am. I am the angry looking black dude standing on the corner who is not looking at you. Just go right up and shake my hand. Cuz we are bros.

I am also going to use this avatar to troll the fuck out of any new retard Pats fans that come here in the offseason.

Panthers needs look right to me. I would add S, but I don't think we'd use a first rounder on one. I could see us using our first rounder on either O-line, DT or WR. Don't think we'll spend a first on a CB though. Good pass rush can mask subpar CBs.

There arent any Barrons or Petersons in this draft so I hope Gettleman can shore up CB and S in free agency. We should target the best big ugly available in the first, offense or defense it doesn't matter. There are a few receivers I like in the 2nd, but I'd be fine with drafting another lineman there as well. After that it's best available.

Opening night will be at home for the Ravens and here's their home games:

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New England, N.Y. Jets, Green Bay,
Minnesota, Houston

I'd wager Steelers, Pats, Texans, Pack in that order. Against the Butt Fumbles would be funny though.

Spinluck

Man it still hurts.

We can't blame the refs for this game. There were some bad calls but that happens in every game. We can't keep getting in these huge holes, especially against good teams. I'm worried that these last two years were the best years for us to win the super bowl.

I'm worried that we have been planned out, both offensively and defensively. Kap is going to have to evolve next year. He needs to manage the play clock and the count much better. We burned two second half time outs which killed us. Just badly managed. I'm also worried even more about our offensive playcalling. Roman can draw up some great plans and we can adjust at the half but there are times where we go three and out and I'm just at a loss for words at how badly all three plays were.

I've always believed we've had a suspect secondary, hell we've had a suspect secondary since I was like 5, and my worries came true last night. We weren't physical enough back there and it showed. The defense showed up in the second half mostly but it wasn't enough.

Kap played pretty good for the most part but his inexperience showed. Some great plays and runs but a terrible pick and bad managing. Gore broke free late on and was looking great, receivers looked pretty good, but it wasn't enough.

I hope we get healthy and come back next year, the nfc west is gonna be tough, but I hope that we evolve this offseason have a good draft, get healthy, and avenge this lose.

Enjoy this Ravens-gaf, for me its baseball time!!!

I know that feels bro.

At least you didn't lose on a pick 6.

Askani

Does the power outage last night and the incredible momentum shift in the game kind of invalidate the "warm weather or dome" mentality of the league? Things are going to happen to affect the game. More and more, I don't care if the weather affects a game. It's football. Weather happens in football. Now we have this affecting the biggest game of the year. I know we'll probably never get it because it hurts the production of the half time show which I could not care less about, but I know it's a big deal all the same.

I'm saying this as someone who will never see a Superbowl happen in their town, but would like to.

eznark

Banned
Top 10 Metered Markets For Super Bowl XLVII

1. Baltimore 59.6/83
2. New Orleans 57.1/77
3. Washington, DC 56.9/80
4. Norfolk 55.8/76
5. Dayton 54.6/72
6. Columbus, OH 54.3/73
7. Indianapolis 54.2/76
8. Richmond-Petersburg 53.7/74
9. Milwaukee 53.4/73
10. Jacksonville 53.3/70

Lol, San Francisco "fans" are the most fraudulent in sports.

Brinbe

Good to be back in community. (so insular)

Mmmm, wonder if we'll finally get our DC now from one of the two SB teams. And of course, there's still the Vick decision to make in three days.

Anyway, can't wait till the combine/draft, we got a stellar opportunity to add a great player this year in either Joeckel/Lotulelei/Warmack/Milliner.

I can't wait to see you cry tears of sorrow in a few hours coward.

This was my favorite post directed at me from yesterday. Never heard this guy before, never heard from him since, but considering he hasn't dropped back in post Superbowl victory, I think it's funny he called me a coward.

WedgeX

Banned
The Lions have some major (well...you know) unrestricted free agents this year. Of the starters:
  • RB Kevin Smith - I love this man, he's a great teammate and shows flashes of brilliance. Unfortunately he's prone to streaks of averageness. Maybe another team will pick him up and let him flourish.
  • RB Stefan Logan - Gone. He was unsure, unsteady, and unable to hold onto the ball this year. And his versatility other than returns is nonexistent.
  • WR Kassim Osgood - A steady man for the Lions special teams.
  • TE Will Heller - He's been a good blocker, but is slow. But his hands are sure when thrown to, unlike Pettigrew.
  • OT Gosder Cherilus - Lots of young guys in the Lions organization on the offensive line. He got better this year, but had been uneven or plain just sucked for years prior.
  • DE Cliff Avril - Wants big monies. But is only a pass rusher.
  • DE Lawrence Jackson - He's alright, I suppose.
  • DT Corey Williams - A big man.
  • DT Sammie Hill - I hope Sammie Hill is back.
  • DT Andre Fluellen - Got cut last year, came back. Meh.
  • LB Justin Durant - The Lions were significantly worse against the run when he was dealing with injuries in 2011.
  • LB DeAndre Levy - Deserves to be a MLB somewhere, playing on the outside does no favors for him nor the Lions.
  • CB Chris Houston - The best :)jnc) Lions' cornerback. Decent, gets beat on occasion. There are rookies that got drafted last year, several of which ended up on IR.
  • S Louis Delmas - Oh Delmas. Near always injured. The Lions are better when he's on the field, but that hasn't been often as of late.
  • K Jason Hanson - A generally steady leg. Long range. He's #4 All-Time in the NFL with field goals made. He's #3 All-Time in the NFL with points scored. His kicking percentage over 20 seasons is 82.4%. He has the most field goals over 50 yards, with 51.
  • P Nick Harris - His kicking was...bad. Not good. I hope the Lions bring back the Aussie this year.
  • LS Don Muhlbach - Does steady work with Hanson.

There are lots of needs on the Lions. Most notably in the secondary. There were maybe two games where the same four guys played together. And it wasn't because the roster was being constantly upgraded or some hot shot rookie shone with brilliance. Ironic that the GM was a cornerback and its the least steady position on the team. The running game is still weak without Jahvid Best, although Joique Bell did some good running. The DE's will be either free agents or old men. Titus "I deserve to be called a Sr., seriously guys, SRLY" Young needs to be traded to some chump coach who thinks he can be changed. Maybe the Lions will get Burleson, Broyles, or Edwards back from IR. The linebackers were not great against much of anything. The Lions offensive line looks to get much younger. Maybe they'll even get rid of both Cherlius and Peterman! There was lots of shuffling of position coaches, and a new Special Teams coordinator, and a new "run game coordinator." GM Mayhew has promised a roster overhaul. But who knows what that will look like. Well, I imagine Plinko has a rather accurate outlook on what will happen during the off-season.

squicken

is Flacco really any worse than Terry Bradshaw, Doug Wiliams, Mark Rypien or Jim Plunkett?

That's the conclusion of the article. They are as bad now as they have ever been. There's also the possibility that this run of streaky WC and sub-10 win teams is just random and not a trend

cajunator

Banned
Does the power outage last night and the incredible momentum shift in the game kind of invalidate the "warm weather or dome" mentality of the league? Things are going to happen to affect the game. More and more, I don't care if the weather affects a game. It's football. Weather happens in football. Now we have this affecting the biggest game of the year. I know we'll probably never get it because it hurts the production of the half time show which I could not care less about, but I know it's a big deal all the same.

I'm saying this as someone who will never see a Superbowl happen in their town, but would like to.

The Super Bowl being in New Orleans a lot has more to do with the logistics of everything. The Dome is in the middle of the city, close to the French quarter, which is ideally set up for parties long into the night and hotels located in the same general area. Now the old mall was changed to Champions square, which is even more ideal for pre/post game celebrations. Its just a really good set up that is ideal to host a Super bowl even compared to Miami. The other stadiums are mostly relegated to the suburbs or areas away from the party districts. New Orleans layout works heavily in its favor.

jakncoke

Banned
The Super Bowl being in New Orleans a lot has more to do with the logistics of everything. The Dome is in the middle of the city, close to the French quarter, which is ideally set up for parties long into the night and hotels located in the same general area. Now the old mall was changed to Champions square, which is even more ideal for pre/post game celebrations. Its just a really good set up that is ideal to host a Super bowl even compared to Miami. The other stadiums are mostly relegated to the suburbs or areas away from the party districts. New Orleans layout works heavily in its favor.

And against it if certain storms make their way up the gulf ;)

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Not enough salt. I demand more saltiness. Let's see if I can get it going.

The refs were awesome last night!

I don't know about better. Nobody is better at running the read option than Griff--Kaep probably could have ran for 150 yards based on what I saw last night, he handed the ball to gore too many times when he could have taken the edge.

He is smarter though, RGIII takes a lot of risks to get the extra 1st down.

I hope Kaep continues to improve though. I don't like how long he takes to deliver the ball--guys make their breaks and he hits team way too late sometimes, but he's basically a rook right now so I love his potential.
lolwut

How many times did RG3 keep the ball on the read option against the Ravens when they played? The answer and more detailed analysis, not just from me, is in the other thread.
Gonna go 2-14 in a Frowny for Clowney campaign.
Pee pee for Lee!

cajunator

Banned
And against it if certain storms make their way up the gulf ;)

There are multi-billion dollar flood control structures in place now that are significantly stronger than the ones that failed in Katrina. however if you ask people around Louisiana, they are pretty sure it still isn't enough to keep the city above water. The River will not always stay its course. It wants to flow through the Atchafalaya Basin instead. The future of this entire lower half of the state is highly uncertain.

harSon

Banned
We have so many needs and unless we work some more cap magic, dont have the money to even begin looking at them. Why cant we just have the best draft ever and draft 10 hall of famers

We're not that fucked. Between restructuring large contracts like Ben, Timmons and Woodley's, and outright dropping players like Harrison, Cotchery, Kiesel and Colon, we can probably easily clear $25-30 million in cap space and get younger in the process.

The only position I'm worried about, outside of Tide End until Heath gets back, is running back. It's not looking good in that regard. I'm completely at a loss as to what we should do about it. Resign Redman and Dwyer, and hope that our successful running stretch last season was a legitimate sign of a Steelers rushing attack with a healthy offensive line? That's probably our best bet unless we want to draft early in the draft, but I can't really see us doing that with our needs on the defensive side of the ball.

And now that I think about it, we need someone to replace Foote, so we're probably going to have to knock it out of the park at ILB, and hope he can instantly contribute. Or maybe Sean Spence can do something off of injury. I think Worilds is ready to take over for Harrison full time though, so I'm not that worried about his departure if the Steelers do in fact release him.

I think we have enough talent behind Hampton in Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward to replace Hampton and Kiesel, and hopefully they'll continue to grow now that Hampton and Kiesel aren't hogging much of the playing time. That's been one of our biggest issues as a franchise. We're much too loyal to our veterans, and play them well past their primes, which gives young depth behind them little chance to grow. I'm assuming Ta'amu is the reincarnation of Ted Washington considering the Steelers were willing to excuse his DUI stent that involved evading police officers, crashing into cops and other cars and injuring some dude. We booted Holmes, a proven legitimate WR, for smoking Pot. So Steelers probably believe Ta'amu is winning defensive player of the year next season.

We definitely need to draft well at defensive line. Our 1st and 2nd round picks should probably address the Defensive Line and Line Backing core. We should probably draft a safety as well, possibly in the 3rd round, to support Polamalu (give him ONE more chance to be healthy and effective IMO) and Clark. We also need to resign Will Allen and Cortez Allen, especially the latter who proved that he was an absolute stud.

We should also Resign Foster. He's always pretty solid. And maybe sign Starks to a 1 year deal, since good linemen are too costly a thing to accomplish in Free Agency.

Tender everyone else. It'd be nice if we can sign Sanders long term, but that might not be feasible.

All in all, I don't think we're in that bad of shape. It'd be nice if we could get some instant impact from the draft, but I don't think it's a necessity. What we can't afford is another season of injuries, because we're probably going into next season with less depth than we had this last season.

Jim Harbaugh really needs to grow up with his sideline antics. Even if we follow squickens lead and anoint him the second coming of Vince Lombardi, it's pretty embarrassing. And I can imagine that attitude of entitlement and whining any time something gets called against them will pass onto the way the players play the game. "I want cake NOW!" is the perfect caption for him. It's not even like he only whines about egregious calls. Most of the time he's probably objectively wrong about the calls he complains about.

I hope he keeps doing it though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Helps being a tourist city as well. Lots of tourists in Miami so that's probably another reason they always get it.

If someone had the foresight to put an NFL stadium in Orlando, the Super Bowl would be there literally every year.

jakncoke

Banned
There are multi-billion dollar flood control structures in place now that are significantly stronger than the ones that failed in Katrina. however if you ask people around Louisiana, they are pretty sure it still isn't enough to keep the city above water. The River will not always stay its course. It wants to flow through the Atchafalaya Basin instead. The future of this entire lower half of the state is highly uncertain.

Time to pack up your cajun lifestyle and invade something instead of living below sea level

Top Bottom