• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

The Super Bowl being in New Orleans a lot has more to do with the logistics of everything. The Dome is in the middle of the city, close to the French quarter, which is ideally set up for parties long into the night and hotels located in the same general area. Now the old mall was changed to Champions square, which is even more ideal for pre/post game celebrations. Its just a really good set up that is ideal to host a Super bowl even compared to Miami. The other stadiums are mostly relegated to the suburbs or areas away from the party districts. New Orleans layout works heavily in its favor.

Doesn't mean shit if you can't keep the power on during the biggest nationally televised media event of the entire year

squicken

Jim Harbaugh really needs to grow up with his sideline antics. Even if we follow squickens lead and anoint him the second coming of Vince Lombardi, it's pretty embarrassing. And I can imagine that attitude of entitlement and whining any time something gets called against them will pass onto the way the players play the game. "I want cake NOW!" is the perfect caption for him. It's not even like he only whines about egregious calls. Most of the time he's probably objectively wrong.

I hope he keeps doing it though.

What I like about him is he maxes out the talent of the players on his roster by generally putting them in positions to succeed. He also can evaluate and develop QBs, which might be the single rarest trait in all of coaching

edit: but yes, John definitely out-coached him last night. And both Fisher and Cheating Pete got him a couple of times this year. His gameday coaching isn't as good as his M-F

eznark

Banned
Jim Harbaugh really needs to grow up with his sideline antics. Even if we follow squickens lead and anoint him the second coming of Vince Lombardi, it's pretty embarrassing. And I can imagine that attitude of entitlement and whining any time something gets called against them will pass onto the way the players play the game. "I want cake NOW!" is the perfect caption for him. It's not even like he only whines about egregious calls. Most of the time he's probably objectively wrong about the calls he complains about.

He was completely, soundly and roundly outcoached last night. Flacco may be meh but John is the true Bestbaugh.

cajunator said:
The other stadiums are mostly relegated to the suburbs or areas away from the party districts. New Orleans layout works heavily in its favor.

Yeah, but they are in developed parts of the country, not third world backwaters. Indianapolis should take the place of New Orleans in the rotation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Helps being a tourist city as well. Lots of tourists in Miami so that's probably another reason they always get it.

If someone had the foresight to put an NFL stadium in Orlando, the Super Bowl would be there literally every year.

The only way this ever happens is if the Jaguars move south. Which is also never going to happen because the Bucs are not going to let them eat into the market.

Citrus Bowl is such a fucking dump and its in a really poor location too for a stadium as its really not by anything and is in a poor area as well. City blew it years ago by not doing shit to keep UCF in the building too.

jakncoke

Banned
Also, Jim is a fucking child. How bout act with a little professionalism instead throwing a tantrum every fucking other play. If nfl-age thread could be morphed into a coach he would be the irl version of this thread.

Sure glad the Fins didn't get stuck losing to the Ravens in the playoffs for eternity. Such a good move by our front office to wait for Philbin.

cajunator

Banned
Time to pack up your cajun lifestyle and invade something instead of living below sea level

I dont live below sea level. Lafayette is safely above it at 36 feet.
If the lower half of the state flooded, Lafayette would be near the border of the Gulf.

eznark

Banned
You just say that because you live like 2 hours from there!

45 minutes but yes, however, there is also a truly fantastic stadium, multiple highway routes into the city and no place sprawls like Indianapolis so there are tons and tons and tons of hotels within 30 minutes. The only drawback is that it's super mundane.

harSon

Banned
Jim Harbaugh really needs to grow up with his sideline antics. Even if we follow squickens lead and anoint him the second coming of Vince Lombardi, it's pretty embarrassing. And I can imagine that attitude of entitlement and whining any time something gets called against them will pass onto the way the players play the game. "I want cake NOW!" is the perfect caption for him. It's not even like he only whines about egregious calls. Most of the time he's probably objectively wrong about the calls he complains about.

He should follow in his brother's footsteps and bitch before and after every game about officiating, and under his breath to refs during the games. Those Flacco pass interference calls were earned by Harbaugh in the trenches. If John Harbaugh were coaching the Niners yesterday, they would have gotten that pass interference call on their last drive.

jakncoke

Banned
I dont live below sea level. Lafayette is safely above it at 36 feet.
If the lower half of the state flooded, Lafayette would be near the border of the Gulf.

Your other people do and damn Lafayette is only 36 feet above, you're sitting on an investment! When the ice caps melts you'll have beach front property. Better work on that tan for the ladies!

cajunator

Banned
Doesn't mean shit if you can't keep the power on during the biggest nationally televised media event of the entire year

power outages happen everywhere. They happen in New York and California a lot. Actually, this sort of thing will probably happen to other venues in the future because the entire US grid is a piece of shit. At least our bridges arent failing so badly you can see through holes in them like in the rustbelt. This whole country is in really bad shape. But by all means keep making fun of just one city.

He should follow in his brother's footsteps and bitch before and after every game about officiating, and under his breath to refs during the games. Those Flacco pass interference calls were earned by Harbaugh in the trenches. If John Harbaugh were coaching the Niners yesterday, they would have gotten that pass interference call on their last drive.

tumblr_lx5w5xfrfa1r09xif.gif

Seems like a pretty fair assessment to me but I wouldn't call the Kaep pick terrible. It was just a classic case of a guy throwing the ball extremely hard and it sailing on him. I'd rather see that once in a blue moon than some idiotic decision like the INT Peyton threw in OT against the Ravens.

The one throw Kaep had to the sideline that was almost a pick six was probably his dumbest throw of the game, I'd say.

It might not be fair to call it terrible but it is the super bowl and everything gets blown way up.
He did have a few bad passes.

I know that feels bro.

At least you didn't lose on a pick 6.
Very true.

Lol, San Francisco "fans" are the most fraudulent in sports.

Thank you

Walker came to play yesterday. Loved his blocking and hitting. He even caught a pass or two! Between him, Gore, and Miller blocking and that offensive line we have a pretty good pocket for Kap.

Bowser

Don't know why they don't just rotate the SB between Miami and San Diego every year. Really the best two spots.

I disagree, I think it should try and rotate between all 32 with a preference towards new/renovated stadiums.

This.

I don't like the hegemony that the domes plus Miami,Tampa, and San Diego have over the Super Bowl.

Let's get's some variety in there.

cajunator said:
Regardless, it doesn't seem to have affected Goodell's image of the city as a future Super bowl spot (as much as he has affected our image of him)

He's just trying to get back in NO's good graces so someone down there will let him actually eat in their restaurant again. Poor Commish must have gone hungry the whole week

cajunator

Banned
I really think you guys are ignoring the logistics of the entire event in saying that.
Everything in NeW Orleans related to the Super bowl and before/after parties can be reached by foot or by short drives. It is easier to plan for, less chance of missed deadlines, all sorts of logistical advantages. thats why the NFL loves to have it in NOLA. There is more to this than whether or not the power goes out in some fluke accident.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This.

I don't like the hegemony that the domes plus Miami,Tampa, and San Diego have over the Super Bowl.

Let's get's some variety in there.

Super Bowl should be rewarded for on-field performance.

Team with the best record gets the SB 2 years from that season (limitations 1 every 5 years or whatever).

Now that'd be fun.

Top Bottom